Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does specific type of food help you lose weight

ginamcy
ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
I belive it does! Its not how many times you eat than what you eat a person that will eat once a day but fast food like french fies and hamburger and a person that will eat 3 times a day but will eat chicken breast without frying or broccoli tuna fish exc will most likely lose weight or be in better forming shape then the other person... or some people eat whatever they want without gaining any weight but having health problems

Agree or disagree???

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I got to my goal weight by eating whatever I wanted as long as it fit my calories for the day/week.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    French fries and a hamburger will have way more calories than chicken breast with broccoli, so one meal might have any many calories as three (or more) healthier meals, so yeah. And yup, you can be skinny but still have health problems due to bad eating habits, like too much fast food. If you see the ingredients, it will definitely scare you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I belive it does! Its not how many times you eat than what you eat a person that will eat once a day but fast food like french fies and hamburger and a person that will eat 3 times a day but will eat chicken breast without frying or broccoli tuna fish exc will most likely lose weight or be in better forming shape then the other person... or some people eat whatever they want without gaining any weight but having health problems

Agree or disagree???

Disagree.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

and

http://abc7.com/health/teacher-loses-60-pounds-while-eating-nothing-but-mcdonalds/705916/

As long as you hit your calorie goals and any other personal nutrition goals you need to reach then you should lose weight.

Shouldn't this be on the Nutrition Debate forum?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Disagree.

If a person eats foods like french fries and hamburger in a calorie deficit, they're going to lose weight. If they eat more than they burn, they're going to gain weight -- even if it is foods like chicken, broccoli, and tuna.

Some foods may make it easier for us to reach a deficit (If I eat a cinnamon roll for breakfast, I will be hungry again quickly. If I eat beans and rice for breakfast, I stay full for hours), but it's the deficit that creates weight weight -- not the foods that we're eating or not eating.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Calorie deficit = weight loss. If the food fits into your calorie goals, it's fair game.
  • ginamcy
    French fries and a hamburger will have way more calories than chicken breast with broccoli, so one meal might has any many calories as three (or more) healthier meals, so yeah. And yup, you can be skinny but still have health problems due to bad eating habits, like too much fast food. If you see the ingredients, it will definitely scare you.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    I'm not sure I'm actually following your post, but if I'm responding to your post title only, no, a specific type of food does not help you lose weight. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Whether you eat 1,200 calories of salad or 1,200 calories of chocolate, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.
  • ginamcy

Agree or disagree???

Disagree.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

and

http://abc7.com/health/teacher-loses-60-pounds-while-eating-nothing-but-mcdonalds/705916/

As long as you hit your calorie goals and any other personal nutrition goals you need to reach then you should lose weight.

Shouldn't this be on the Nutrition Debate forum?

Oh thanx for the correction
  • lisawinning4losing
    edited March 2016
    Also, a lack of vegetables and fruit has been linked with cancer.

"Epidemiological research on fruit and vegetables and cancer then increased rapidly, and by 1992, a review of 156 studies concluded that ‘for most cancer sites, persons with low fruit and vegetable intake experience about twice the risk of cancer compared to those with a high intake, even after control for potentially confounding factors' (Block et al, 1992)."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3039795/
  • ginamcy
    I'm not sure I'm actually following your post, but if I'm responding to your post title only, no, a specific type of food does not help you lose weight. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Whether you eat 1,200 calories of salad or 1,200 calories of chocolate, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Is it always healthy? Probably not, but CICO is the only end game.

How will you burn more calories than you consume? I dont think that eating whatever you want and excercizing will do the trick or be enough
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    edited March 2016

How will you burn more calories than you consume? I dont think that eating whatever you want and excercizing will do the trick or be enough

My body burns 2200 calories a day (my calculated TDEE based on basic formulas and my own tracking). If I eat less than 2200 calories a day, I'm eating less than I burn/burning more than I eat.
  • janejellyroll
    edited March 2016
    Also, a lack of vegetables and fruit has been linked with cancer.

"Epidemiological research on fruit and vegetables and cancer then increased rapidly, and by 1992, a review of 156 studies concluded that ‘for most cancer sites, persons with low fruit and vegetable intake experience about twice the risk of cancer compared to those with a high intake, even after control for potentially confounding factors' (Block et al, 1992)."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3039795/

Wait, is this thread about weight loss or how to best avoid cancer?

Wearing sunscreen also helps you avoid cancer, by the way. I think that is about as relevant to OP's question.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Disagree: type of food makes no difference as long as you are at a deficit
    Agree: type of food will make a difference in your satiety = greater success in your weight loss journey

this is a very basic take on it of course
  • janejellyroll

OP, I eat what I want (which is sometimes french fries and sometimes broccoli) and exercise and it's enough for me. I reached my goal and am comfortably maintaining my weight loss. There are many people on this website with similar experiences.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I say Snickers does. Often me eating a snickers is indicative that I've recently exercised, usually to the degree that I've burned off more calories than was in the Snickers or close enough, and I'm just eating it to do some more.
  • lisawinning4losing
    The health aspect was part of her question.

"or some people eat whatever they want without gaining any weight but having health problems"
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

The trick is you can eat whatever you want, but not necessarily as much and as often you'd want if you were eating with no care for the consequences. Instead, any person can generally fit an acceptable amount of at least any one food into their daily allotment and still meet a calorie goal for the day.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited March 2016
    I've met my protein goal for the day (using only ultra processed foods or whatever we are calling it now) but not fat or carbs. When I get off work and go home, I'm having a massive pile of french fries after I get finished lifting.

I got fat eating whatever I wanted. I got thin eating less of whatever I wanted, and now I'm gaining lean mass eating whatever I want, in monitored portions.

My blood tests and general health (including my diet) are all doctor approved.

So, tl;dr... I disagree.

*Edited for spelling
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Disagree: type of food makes no difference as long as you are at a deficit
    Agree: type of food will make a difference in your satiety = greater success in your weight loss journey

this is a very basic take on it of course

+1
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Agree or disagree???

Is there some kind of common misconception that if you have health problems it must be because you overeat or eat the wrong things (or both)? There are so many other reasons to have health issues.
This discussion has been closed.