What Other Factors (Besides Nutrition) Help You Succeed?

Options

Replies

• beachbodylinda16
    beachbodylinda16 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Personal support
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    smurphy90 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Simplifying the process was the biggest one to me. As soon as I stopped worrying about eating the right foods or doing the right exercises I was able to make it work. I ate things I enjoyed that kept me full and did exercises I enjoyed.

Second biggest was to stop trying to lose weight so fast.

Exactly the same here. As soon as I got out of the mindset that eating healthily meant having to eat a bunch of foods that I don't normally eat and give up ones I do, I was so much better off. I eat whatever I want to, just within my calorie limit. And the thing is... knowing that I can have whatever I want to actually makes eating healthier foods easier. It doesn't feel like a chore, punishment, sacrifice, or rule, because it's a choice. If I go over by a bit, I don't tear myself apart for it either.

Yes :) and yes :) I've tried losing weight in the past through keto and other diets but I failed after a while because it was so restrictive. Counting calories, weighing my food, being honest (good, bad, and very bad) but eating what I want without omitting my favourite foods has helped me lose so much more weight and in a way that makes me content rather than sad.

I know that when I am honest and consistent with log in recordings, I can trust 'the count' and therefore if I have a plateau I can push through it because I know I am doing everything right and the 'woosh' will come (it always does). I don't give up like I used to! I know that 7700 calories is approximately 1kg so eating at maintenance or over maintenance every now and then is a drop in the ocean and I easily move on. Counting calories and understanding numbers (associated with calorie counting) has been my weight loss saviour.
  • Mandingo15
    Mandingo15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Desire, will power, and dedication. If you want it bad enough and are willing to work for it, you will have success. My best way to describe this to someone is it is all about the math. Get the math, get the information, make this a focus in your life if it means that much to you. Math problem, now execute a plan. That is what I did.
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've always tried to stay in good physical shape so that I can enjoy doing the active things I like to do. Not super extreme things, but kind of extreme things like skiing, paragliding, kite surfing and windsurfing, hiking, biking, etc. Not that I've always stayed in the kind of shape where I can do these things with ease. I've gone windsurfing out of shape and 20 lbs over weight and it gets super hard to do compared to when your in shape. Doing things that motivate me are the things that motivate me. It boils down to one word, "Motivation" What motivates me, what floats my boat. You asked what other factors, those are them... However, I'm finding mastering diet and nutrition (and wrap my head around it) are like super key to everything physical. It will be so much easier when I master diet and nutrition. I'm making a positive affirmation by saying that. We all have to figure out what floats our boats, but there are a lot of "other" things you have to master first. For me, Nutrition is " the " thing.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My personal reasons are cosplay-body. I've been working on some costumes that require me to be fit, slightly exposed and I either have to fake it or be it. Found the journey to being it was much more satisfying and fulfilling.
  • Fahad8484
    Fahad8484 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Simplifying the process was the biggest one to me. As soon as I stopped worrying about eating the right foods or doing the right exercises I was able to make it work. I ate things I enjoyed that kept me full and did exercises I enjoyed.

Second biggest was to stop trying to lose weight so fast. Two pounds per week didn't give me nearly enough calories and once I decided on slower weight loss I was able to stick to it.

This worked for me, full stomach can bring happiness to you.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    For me a health issue gave me the motivation. I'm a type 2 diabetic and my doctor wanted to put me on a second medication (I was already taking Metformin) which is linked with causing liver problems.
    MFP gave me the tools and knowledge to take control of my diet and cut calories.
    Running gave me the extra edge.
    The friends I have made also keep me motivated and give me tons of encouragement.
    I love the way I feel now and I'm beginning to love the way I look. Thanks to MFP I know now if I start to gain weight again I have the ability to turn it around. I love this site!
  • hamoosh92
    hamoosh92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eating only when I'm hungry. Don't think about food often.
    Moving as much as I can
    Cutting out bread/ rice from my diet has significantly reduced my cravings for so many foods.
    Eliminating unhealthy food
    Using smaller plates/ bowls and stop eating when I'm full. Never over eat
    Exercising at home doing simple workouts (sit-ups, pushups, etc.)

I'm tiny, 5'0 tall and in 2 months I went from 123 pounds to 112 pounds.
  • valasca528
    valasca528 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Making changes that I can sustain. For example, saying "I'll workout on the weekend" to make up for either a missed workout is not doable for me. After 2 weeks of saying that with 0 workouts during the weekend, I changed my goal to a total number of workouts and spread it out over Mon - Fri.

In the same way, saying I'll do abs certain days of the week is currently more committment than I can handle. Saying the number of ab workouts a week allows flexibility for my schedule.

Either way, stay committed and results are inevitable.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    For me it's taking care of my mental health. I'd never have been able to lose weight if I didn't start regular counselling before I tried. Food was my counselling before and I was too depressed to take that away. I'm happier now but that came first then the weight loss not the other way round.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The combination lock to my weight loss success so far in this rather brief period of time seems to have 2 keys.
    1. Plenty of protein, 2. Plenty of vegetables.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!