Eating and only lifting, whats the outcome?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i do cardio like once a week and lift four times a week and eat in deficit ...

I am down to 13% body fat...

so you will lose body fat and see strength gains..

what kind of lifting routine are you doing?

Because I'm a stay at home mom and I'm limited. Can't make it to gym at this time. But I use dumbells at home. And bands and my own body weight and jump rope.
    I have a full body work out I do to work all my muscels ,glutes, triceps, traps, biceps, obliques, ect. All the majors. I have a workout for each muscel/muscel group. I do 3sets with 20 reps a piece. And each week I bump reps up by 5 more. And as I get Stronger ill up my dumbell weight and get more resistant bands. I plaink as well to help the abs. And some yoga. I have 10 exersizes I do. Includes stretching and gettig after my ham string.

IMO that seems like a lot of reps...you might want to add weight and go for 10-12 reps each ...but I would be curious to hear others thoughts on this...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    my oldest sister is into ONLY lifting and her body is NOT attractive with all the what I call MAN muscles. EWWWWWWWW

Body shaming is the thing that is really disgusting in a person to me.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    my oldest sister is into ONLY lifting and her body is NOT attractive with all the what I call MAN muscles. EWWWWWWWW

I wasn't aware that anyone asked for an opinion if lifting gave you gross looking manly body. OP asked entirely something different. Please use your terrible trolling skills to annoy high schoolers.
  • Jameson1984
    Jameson1984 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My opinion: You do not want to start building muscle until you have your bodyfat at a manageable level because when you look in the mirror it will give you the appearance that you are getting bigger.

Hi there,

I appreciate the comment you made here. This is my biggest decision on my weight loss journey yet...when to move from the fat reduction phase through my deficit phase to eating at maintenance maybe slightly below with an emphasis on weight lifting. (I was 245 lbs, approx 35% bf and am now down to 174/ 28% bf.)

I have no real idea when I should make the change in my approach. I mean, I figure I could still stand to lose 15-20 pounds and there is still a large gap to close on my body fat. Part of me thinks I should wait to adjust my approach until I hit my weight goal and then start the recomposition phase. I do strength work 3-4x/week - but I would not call it heavy lifting so to speak. I do try and progress the weights upward but still, I am eating at a 20% deficit and realize I am not buiding muscle at this stage. Any thoughts?
  • SouthernGuns
    Options

Because I'm a stay at home mom and I'm limited. Can't make it to gym at this time. But I use dumbells at home. And bands and my own body weight and jump rope.
    I have a full body work out I do to work all my muscels ,glutes, triceps, traps, biceps, obliques, ect. All the majors. I have a workout for each muscel/muscel group. I do 3sets with 20 reps a piece. And each week I bump reps up by 5 more. And as I get Stronger ill up my dumbell weight and get more resistant bands. I plaink as well to help the abs. And some yoga. I have 10 exersizes I do. Includes stretching and gettig after my ham string.

IMO that seems like a lot of reps...you might want to add weight and go for 10-12 reps each ...but I would be curious to hear others thoughts on this...

Yes another person was sayin the same thing. That would make sence to lift more weight instead of
    Increasing reps. That's why I made this thread tho, to learn better more accurate ways.
    Because all of you look great, so who would take y'all's advice. Y'all did it! :) so thank you for your opinion because I wanted it lol!
    I do eat at a deficit but I can only go so low because I'm brestfeeding my baby. If I go to low my supply for her will stop. So it's a tricky deal lol. I have to play with my calorie IntAke alot to see what works. Bit I have more time for lifting than I do cardio bc I can stop easier to take care of my kids. Lol!!

So I plan on increasing weight instead of reps bc that's what everyone else is suggesting. I suppose they're right bc I mean look at all these nice bodies! I want mine back!! Lol 2 kids will do some damage to a body and I'm only 22 lol!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes another person was sayin the same thing. That would make sence to lift more weight instead of
    Increasing reps. That's why I made this thread tho, to learn better more accurate ways.
    Because all of you look great, so who would take y'all's advice. Y'all did it! :) so thank you for your opinion because I wanted it lol!
    I do eat at a deficit but I can only go so low because I'm brestfeeding my baby. If I go to low my supply for her will stop. So it's a tricky deal lol. I have to play with my calorie IntAke alot to see what works. Bit I have more time for lifting than I do cardio bc I can stop easier to take care of my kids. Lol!!

So I plan on increasing weight instead of reps bc that's what everyone else is suggesting. I suppose they're right bc I mean look at all these nice bodies! I want mine back!! Lol 2 kids will do some damage to a body and I'm only 22 lol!!

I agree with the comment that the reps are a bit high and 10 - 12 would be better. However, you may be restricted by what you have available so sometimes you have to go higher. 20 reps at a weight is better than 10 reps at the same weight. 10 reps at a heavier weight is better than 20 at a lighter weight however (for your goals and assuming you get as fatigued by both).
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Consistent calorie deficit = fat loss = a
    Resistance training = muscle preservation = b

a + b = looking sexy naked

If you have trouble with a then + cardio = you can eat more

Brilliant!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    My opinion: You do not want to start building muscle until you have your bodyfat at a manageable level because when you look in the mirror it will give you the appearance that you are getting bigger.

Hi there,

I appreciate the comment you made here. This is my biggest decision on my weight loss journey yet...when to move from the fat reduction phase through my deficit phase to eating at maintenance maybe slightly below with an emphasis on weight lifting. (I was 245 lbs, approx 35% bf and am now down to 174/ 28% bf.)

I have no real idea when I should make the change in my approach. I mean, I figure I could still stand to lose 15-20 pounds and there is still a large gap to close on my body fat. Part of me thinks I should wait to adjust my approach until I hit my weight goal and then start the recomposition phase. I do strength work 3-4x/week - but I would not call it heavy lifting so to speak. I do try and progress the weights upward but still, I am eating at a 20% deficit and realize I am not buiding muscle at this stage. Any thoughts?

What do you do? Sets and rep range?

ETA: the advice in the first quotes bad imo, however, you may be ok with what you are doing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

shush you and get back under your bridge (or rock).

ETA: OMG, I just checked this posters profile as I was expecting a teenager. The poster is 55 years old ffs!
  • madrose0715
    Options

Hi there,

ETA: the advice in the first quotes bad imo, however, you may be ok with what you are doing.

Hi there,

So the strength training I do is from fitnessblender.com. I do 2/3 lower body workouts which are predominantly dumbell weighted squats, lunges, bridges, deadlifts - 4 sets of each with 7 -10 pound weights in each hand (up from 3-5 lb). The workouts are called 'tabata' in that they give you 2 sets of 20 second cardio 'bursts' between the sets of strength training. The cardio bursts are really high intensity body weight driven movements...

I do 1 or 2 upper body workouts which are mainly dumbell weighted overhead press, skull crushers, bicep curls, chest flys and rows and again the workout is structured with bursts of cardio between strength sets.

I can't go to a gym and realize I am going to run into trouble with increasing the weight as I will be limited to dumbells...
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    For increasing weights... If you don't have higher dumbbells, you can use things like ..
    A backpack filled with heavy books (that college calculus book you never threw out because it cost too much to get rid of, a few dictionaries, etc...)

A couple jugs of water- those things can get heavy!

My Kitchen Aide is about 23pounds. I will Sumatra Squat with it sometimes on Bodyweight days (not heavy lifting days), LOL

Think outside the box..or Outside the Dumbbell

ALSO - thrift stores and garage sales often have weights, all those people who had good intentions to lift, but gave up and are selling their weight benches and dumbbells.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Hi there,

Hi there,

So the strength training I do is from fitnessblender.com. I do 2/3 lower body workouts which are predominantly dumbell weighted squats, lunges, bridges, deadlifts - 4 sets of each with 7 -10 pound weights in each hand (up from 3-5 lb). The workouts are called 'tabata' in that they give you 2 sets of 20 second cardio 'bursts' between the sets of strength training. The cardio bursts are really high intensity body weight driven movements...

I do 1 or 2 upper body workouts which are mainly dumbell weighted overhead press, skull crushers, bicep curls, chest flys and rows and again the workout is structured with bursts of cardio between strength sets.

I can't go to a gym and realize I am going to run into trouble with increasing the weight as I will be limited to dumbells...

I would try to incorporate some more challenging lifts from a resistance perspective. People have had good success with Convict Conditioning, so you may want to have a look at that.

You can do a lot with body weigh exercises (or light DBs) but increasing the difficulty. For example, for squats, you can do one legged squats like Pistol Squats.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    No cardio, only lifting, and a reasonable diet turned this:
    13a28574375f1fb526634987eff2ad73_zps9f235687.jpg
    Into this:
    4e70e88ad4f8334ba8235eb98f8f03c8_zps394df6bb.jpg
    Granted, this picture is getting a little old and I'm more muscular now, but this at least shows some of my progress.

That's awesome. You're a really good inspiration.
  • madrose0715
    Options

I would try to incorporate some more challenging lifts from a resistance perspective. People have had good success with Convict Conditioning, so you may want to have a look at that.

You can do a lot with body weigh exercises (or light DBs) but increasing the difficulty. For example, for squats, you can do one legged squats like Pistol Squats.

great idea...I am betting fitnessblender does have more advanced body conditioning routines that increase the complexity of the movements as well. Thanks for your insight!
  • madrose0715
    Options
    For increasing weights... If you don't have higher dumbbells, you can use things like ..
    A backpack filled with heavy books (that college calculus book you never threw out because it cost too much to get rid of, a few dictionaries, etc...)

A couple jugs of water- those things can get heavy!

My Kitchen Aide is about 23pounds. I will Sumatra Squat with it sometimes on Bodyweight days (not heavy lifting days), LOL

Think outside the box..or Outside the Dumbbell

ALSO - thrift stores and garage sales often have weights, all those people who had good intentions to lift, but gave up and are selling their weight benches and dumbbells.

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing these :)
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    OP, I do little to no cardio as well (maybe a 3 min warmup), all lifting 3-4 days a week. I'm still progressing but I love lifting and have never liked cardio. It is possible!! My brief progress update: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1034920-my-1-year-progress

p5wftqpl.jpg
  • beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As long as you're lifting a decent amount of weight, and not too much of a deficit (TDEE - 20%) your results should be awesome - but take measurements with a goal to look at body fat % rather than weight alone.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP, I do little to no cardio as well (maybe a 3 min warmup), all lifting 3-4 days a week. I'm still progressing but I love lifting and have never liked cardio. It is possible!! My brief progress update: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1034920-my-1-year-progress

p5wftqpl.jpg

Love this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!