Eating and only lifting, whats the outcome?

Options
12346»

Replies

• mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    my weight loss was almost entirely diet and strength training with limited cardio. I have only recently got back into distance running as a new challenge and to strike something off my bucket list and run a marathon.

But my 75lbs of weight is almost entirely thanks to proper diet and strength training.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    While we are all chatting it up about lifting, I need some help.

How can I work my thighs without doing lunges or squats.

Wall sits.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I agree with what you are saying but we are talking about someone who is 50 lbs overweight. How much lean body mass do you think she has to preserve? The psychological factor for someone trying to lose 50 lbs is huge and it is my opinion that seeing your scale weight decrease at the fastest rate possible is what motivates newbies to continue to work.

lol wut?

I didn't get fat because I was lazy. I got fat because I ate too much. But, while I was putting on the pounds, I was still very active, lifting and moving heavy things (farm work) on a regular basis. You can basically say I've been on a 20 year bulk. Why in the world would I want to let all the muscle I've accumulated waste away because I'm overweight?

OP: I've only been lifting a few months, so no incredible results yet, but I am SO much stronger than I was just 4 months ago. My deadlifts started with just the bar (45 lbs) and yesterday I lifted 165. I am not bulky, but am starting to get some sweet cutting in my arms where the fat is dwindling away. I was running quite a bit, but have cut that pretty much completely out and am just lifting. I am so much happier now...I don't dread going to the gym and it doesn't take me 2 hours to get a really great workout in. 45 mins and I am in and out.

I also agree with whoever said look into bodyweight exercises. You will very quickly outgrow the kind of dumbbells you get at Wal-Mart if you are doing a program such as NROLFW. However, maneuvering your bodyweight will last you quite a bit longer and you will still see fabulous results.

ETA: Also to those of you with knee problems: I too have knee problems and had surgery last fall to fix it (which didn't work ugh!). Of course check with your doctor, but what I have found is if I widen my squat stance and point my toes out slightly allowing my knees to follow my toe line, I am able to squat without pain and still drop below parallel. I cannot squat at ALL with a normal squat stance...the very first squat makes it feel like my knee is tearing apart.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bump good luck to you op :)
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Bump
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I primarily strength train. Heavy. Mostly compounds.

I've lost just under 60 lbs. size 18 to an 8. modest deficit eating. Lifting 3x week. Sometimes I will do some weighted Tabatas or some spinning. Sometimes. Not often. I just don't groove on it. I walk for ME time, not as a workout, but it's great weight bearing exercise but of course!

Of course it's a GREAT idea. Nothing has leaned me up, or spoken to my competitive spirit like strength training has.

Lots of great stuff you can do at home. Nia Shanks and Nerd Fitness are 2 sites to check out.

Good luck!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You have lots of good information so far. I started lifting weights before high school, and have power lifted off and on for many years. My goal is ALWAYS to maximize lean muscle mass. For me more muscle translates into more calories I can eat...I do cardio so I can have ice cream though. ;) ( I combine weight exercise and cardio)
    You WILL NOT get any bulkier than you are right now unless you gain fat. You said that you at one point were pressing over 160. So it sounds like you are familiar with the basics already. I was going to suggest that you try Insanity until you said your knees are shot-this program is much too much jumping for sore knees. But, I bought a book for my husband that you may be interested in called "The New Rules of Lifting for Life." There are a lot of women here who have gone through "The New Rules of Lifting for Women( NROLW)," and it is a good program, but you need a gym to do NROLW. NROLL does NOT require a gym, and it can be as challenging as you make it. It has suggestions for a variety of exercises for people who are dealing with injuries as well. (ie, if you can't forward lunge, try a reverse or split lunge which puts less pressure on your knee).
    You certainly can lose weight lifting and eating well...hell, you can lose weight just eating well. You'll just lose it faster. Best of luck to you!
  • SouthernGuns
    Options
    You have lots of good information so far. I started lifting weights before high school, and have power lifted off and on for many years. My goal is ALWAYS to maximize lean muscle mass. For me more muscle translates into more calories I can eat...I do cardio so I can have ice cream though. ;) ( I combine weight exercise and cardio)
    You WILL NOT get any bulkier than you are right now unless you gain fat. You said that you at one point were pressing over 160. So it sounds like you are familiar with the basics already. I was going to suggest that you try Insanity until you said your knees are shot-this program is much too much jumping for sore knees. But, I bought a book for my husband that you may be interested in called "The New Rules of Lifting for Life." There are a lot of women here who have gone through "The New Rules of Lifting for Women( NROLW)," and it is a good program, but you need a gym to do NROLW. NROLL does NOT require a gym, and it can be as challenging as you make it. It has suggestions for a variety of exercises for people who are dealing with injuries as well. (ie, if you can't forward lunge, try a reverse or split lunge which puts less pressure on your knee).
    You certainly can lose weight lifting and eating well...hell, you can lose weight just eating well. You'll just lose it faster. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for your comment!! Yes I am familiar but rusty lol it's been a long time.
    I was VERY athletic in school. I have heard a lot about those books. Where might
    I purchase them? And at the end you said "You certainly can lose weight lifting and eating well...hell, you can lose weight just eating well. You'll just lose it faster. Best of luck to you! I can lose faster eating right and lifting?
    Or just eating right? That last bit confused me. And thanks again!! :-D
  • ruby1387
    ruby1387 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Love this thread...BUMP
  • theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!