Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I bet it is more than rosemary getting so many to 100+

Options
124»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Put me down for in the camp of "I can't believe someone has never heard of eating Rosemary before" and also in the camp that can't believe people think it only goes well with lamb.

Rosemary is one of the easiest herbs to grow, in gardens or pots. It is widely available at garden centers, nurseries, big box hardware stores, and even grocery stores in the US.

I use it on roasted potatoes with olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt and cracked black pepper. I also use it with olive oil and lemon to marinate chicken.

I've had it in bread and even in desserts (Rosemary shortbread cookies with lavender gelato in Italy)

It may not go well with bulletproof coffee.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Put me down for in the camp of "I can't believe someone has never heard of eating Rosemary before" and also in the camp that can't believe people think it only goes well with lamb.

Rosemary is one of the easiest herbs to grow, in gardens or pots. It is widely available at garden centers, nurseries, big box hardware stores, and even grocery stores in the US.

I use it on roasted potatoes with olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt and cracked black pepper. I also use it with olive oil and lemon to marinate chicken.

I've had it in bread and even in desserts (Rosemary shortbread cookies with lavender gelato in Italy)

It may not go well with bulletproof coffee.

If I cooked then I might have heard of it. I will try to grow some. Hope the deer do not live to be 100. :)
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins

You might enjoy this clip: https://youtube.com/watch?v=xJCRm5dmZIA

101 year old retired heart surgeon who lives in the blue zone of Loma Linda. He's a peach.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @janejellyroll I just heard of it yesterday and it seems to take some effort to grow per the link below. I may be able to find a fresh source when I look.

Do you just use rosemary for flavor or for specific medical reasons or both? I see how it can be good for living better and longer without Rx from the doctor to do the same thing.

It's easy to grow here in Massachusetts. It's a "tender perennial" - normal Massachusetts winters normally kill it. We had a milder winter this year and my and my Mom's plants survived. Your profile says you are in Kentucky - you should have no problem growing it year round there. Home Depot or any large garden center should have plants. Once it is established, one plant is plenty for one person's culinary needs.

Thanks. I may be able to grow it on a steep southern sloping hill to help it survive the winter. Do you root a cutting to get a start of it.?

I just started on Chanca Piedra and will see if it will grow here but its normal growing area is more near the equator.

I buy one small plant from the garden center.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have Rosemary growing on my window sill.

More on centenarian studies. I am pretty sure the Okinawan centenarians don't eat Rosemary.

Okinawan
    http://www.okicent.org

Adventist Vegetarians

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2015/April/Health-Benefits-of-a-Deep-Religious-Commitment

Sardinians

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print/2005/11/longevity-secrets/buettner-text
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I find blue zone research fascinating. I believe light agricultural work that keeps the body moving all the time is key. Like how someone mentioned law maintenance. Yes the sun, movement, and desire to live are part of it .
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Moving is key I think. Dr. Jason Fung makes a point eating carbs from nature vs processed foods (devoid of fiber) lowers Insulin levels (a requirement for long term weight management) even more than eating meat. As others have stated it most likely is due to many factors that come together to give long term health.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Canned beans are devoid of fiber now?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Canned beans are devoid of fiber now?

We should probably sue the Fiber One people for false advertising as well.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have planted Rosemary in the past with great success in SE Texas. However, like mint, if left unattended, it will spread and take over an area quickly! That is why I grow some in large containers. It can bush out a bit so it also looks decorative in a pot. If I had the patience, I would "train" one around different shaped stakes. I have seen rosemary plants sold that have been trained to grow around a heart shaped form. It was pretty.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It grows wonderfully outdoors here in NM...except that one year we had winter temps of 10 below...not a common thing. Bushes all over town died. Anyway, it is good on most meats and veggies. I enjoy it especially on gamey meats like venison, etc. It's great with olive oil on focaccia. It's a very common spice you can get in the grocery store.

I absolutely adore growing herbs. They're easier to grow than veggies for me here in the desert. I get such a kick out of walking into my yard to get fresh herb cuttings for my meal prep.

There was a time when I did some research on herbal supplements and tonics, but I don't really put much faith in it as a medical treatment or cure. It might be the root history of medicine, but we have more proven effective treatments with modern medicine, IMO.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    https://facebook.com/TheNewsPress/videos/10153288722616534/

This wonderful lady is 105. I searched the video for rosemary plants. Didn't see one but did see some Dr. Pepper!
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I live in Southern Ohio I grow rosemary in a pot either in the kitchen or on the deck but it will not live through the winters here. I am from a Italian family some live to be old and not so much but herbs, red wine, garlic and anchovies have been a major part of our diet.
    My favorite way to use rosemary is fresh mixed with thyme, garlic and ground up in a mortar with olive oil and rubbed on a chicken to roast. It is divine. But this combo works on most things that are roasted
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Rosemary has been used for centuries for its cleansing properties. When my kids are sick I use oil of rosemary with oil of eucalyptus and smother their faces with it. Colds, sinus infections, etc. Gone baby gone. It's also very alkaline and cancer cannot thrive in an alkaline environment. Bathe in it.