Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I bet it is more than rosemary getting so many to 100+

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Rosemary's Baby IS a rather unfortunate side effect of too much consumption of rosemary.

Or perhaps:

SATAN
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I have not seen it that I remember but heard of Rosemary's baby. Yes on Parsley, sage, and thyme. I will look for a plant. It is my guess some the herbs have a value if they only trigger an epigenetic/placebo response.

head-desk-gif_zpsccb63a29.gif?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

For the last time. Epigenetic =/= placebo

I prefer the problem where people react to treatments differently on if they feel they are outside or not - the gazebo effect.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    A common thread that I see evolving as one requirement for longevity is a reason to live is a must.

This is true is for any animal.

Another common thread is staying mentally and physically active like following the news, traveling, lawn care, etc.

So maybe it is about the rosemary... ;)

Rosemary might be of value if it does nothing more that tigger epigenetics in a positive was as a posebno. I will read as to what rosemary is since I have never tried it or seen it.

I do know rosemary was not mentioned in other locations with several people making it to 100+.

I was kind of joking since "lawn care" was mentioned as something that helped people to stay active as they grew older. So naturally, if one were growing one's own rosemary (or anything, poisonous mushrooms or what have you), maybe it would be an activity that would help them to keep active and improve certain factors as they age.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I have not seen it that I remember but heard of Rosemary's baby. Yes on Parsley, sage, and thyme. I will look for a plant. It is my guess some the herbs have a value if they only trigger an epigenetic/placebo response.

I prefer the problem where people react to treatments differently on if they feel they are outside or not - the gazebo effect.

OMG @senecarr You actually made me chuckle :+1: Quite the feat, that is.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    A common thread that I see evolving as one requirement for longevity is a reason to live is a must.

Another common thread is staying mentally and physically active like following the news, traveling, lawn care, etc.

Rosemary might be of value if it does nothing more that tigger epigenetics in a positive was as a posebno. I will read as to what rosemary is since I have never tried it or seen it.

I do know rosemary was not mentioned in other locations with several people making it to 100+.

I was kind of joking since "lawn care" was mentioned as something that helped people to stay active as they grew older. So naturally, if one were growing one's own rosemary (or anything, poisonous mushrooms or what have you), maybe it would be an activity that would help them to keep active and improve certain factors as they age.

Great point. My father in law had a big garden the year when he passed at the age of 93. He had cancer.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

OMG @senecarr You actually made me chuckle :+1: Quite the feat, that is.

I agree with you @Christine_72
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Great point. My father in law had a big garden the year when he passed at the age of 93. He had cancer.

Did he grow rosemary? Or you wouldn't know if you saw it.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Did he grow rosemary? Or you wouldn't know if you saw it.

Rhubarb, Parsley, sage, and thyme are all I heard mentioned. Sage I know was for the sausage when they killed hogs.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My mother in law was a professional genealogist. I have extensive records of my family. My conclusions on longevity, choose your parents.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

"It's too late. You've angered the gazebo!"

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    In Calabria it grows wild, its easily found and used in meat dishes. We picked it along the road and in the garden of the house. It has a good smell when crushed, very nice. I think its used as a tea also. It grows in S. France and in the southern mediterranean naturally as a largish low bush.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »

"It's too late. You've angered the gazebo!"

XS5LK.gif?noredirect
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    we have a couple of rosemary bushes that popped up, we didn't plant them. I don't eat it as it mostly goes with Lamb which I have never eaten :confounded:

Much more versatile than that. Filo cheese pie with rosemary in it is fabulous, and it's good with many cheeses in general. It's tasty chopped and mixed with oven-roasted vegetables (probably best to add at about 15 minutes from done, on the final stir). It's even good in certain fruit salads - think melon, pineapple or pears, for example, or even citrus. I could go on and on . . . .
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Restaurant (Italian) I was at last night had both beef and pork dishes with rosemary prominently listed as an ingredient. I thought of this thread. ;-)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    we have a couple of rosemary bushes that popped up, we didn't plant them. I don't eat it as it mostly goes with Lamb which I have never eaten :confounded:

Much more versatile than that. Filo cheese pie with rosemary in it is fabulous, and it's good with many cheeses in general. It's tasty chopped and mixed with oven-roasted vegetables (probably best to add at about 15 minutes from done, on the final stir). It's even good in certain fruit salads - think melon, pineapple or pears, for example, or even citrus. I could go on and on . . . .

It is also delicious with chicken, pork, turkey, quail.

Sweet stuff, too. Just bought a lemon ice cream with rosemary shortbread cookies inclusions. Very tasty, very summery.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll I just heard of it yesterday and it seems to take some effort to grow per the link below. I may be able to find a fresh source when I look.

Do you just use rosemary for flavor or for specific medical reasons or both? I see how it can be good for living better and longer without Rx from the doctor to do the same thing.

It's easy to grow here in Massachusetts. It's a "tender perennial" - normal Massachusetts winters normally kill it. We had a milder winter this year and my and my Mom's plants survived. Your profile says you are in Kentucky - you should have no problem growing it year round there. Home Depot or any large garden center should have plants. Once it is established, one plant is plenty for one person's culinary needs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    493 results for "fresh rosemary" http://allrecipes.com/search/results/?ingIncl=fresh rosemary&sort=re
    1054 results for "rosemary."
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @janejellyroll I just heard of it yesterday and it seems to take some effort to grow per the link below. I may be able to find a fresh source when I look.

Do you just use rosemary for flavor or for specific medical reasons or both? I see how it can be good for living better and longer without Rx from the doctor to do the same thing.

It's easy to grow here in Massachusetts. It's a "tender perennial" - normal Massachusetts winters normally kill it. We had a milder winter this year and my and my Mom's plants survived. Your profile says you are in Kentucky - you should have no problem growing it year round there. Home Depot or any large garden center should have plants. Once it is established, one plant is plenty for one person's culinary needs.

Thanks. I may be able to grow it on a steep southern sloping hill to help it survive the winter. Do you root a cutting to get a start of it.?

I just started on Chanca Piedra and will see if it will grow here but its normal growing area is more near the equator.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks. I may be able to grow it on a steep southern sloping hill to help it survive the winter. Do you root a cutting to get a start of it.?

I just started on Chanca Piedra and will see if it will grow here but its normal growing area is more near the equator.

Pushing your luck a bit, I think. It's reputed to be a zone 8 plant, and Murray, KY is in 6b according to USDA. The variety "Arp" has a reputation for being slightly more cold-hardy than some.

Another option is to put it in a large pot, sink the pot in the ground in a sunny spot in summer, and bring it indoors to a South-facing window in Winter (when freezing temps threaten). That's what I do here in the North (Michigan, zone 5). IME, they're a bit touchy about wet roots/root rot. I'm kind of a bad plant mommy, but have had better luck with upright rather than trailing cultivars, FWIW.

You should be able to buy a plant at most nurseries or garden centers that sell perennial herbs, and not have to worry about propagating. I've even seen them in grocery stores, on occasion.