WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be cleaning and organizing areas of their lives on here. When the world outside is waking up from its winter slumber then we get the itch too I suppose. I have you know, I did TURN ON the vacuum yesterday and run it around the apartment. This apartment was new when we moved from the more expensive 3 bedroom to an upstairs 2 bed room that was remodeled after a fire. So new cabinets etc. The manager at that time was a young couple and he did work after he got home from his regular job. So I notice the carpet has buckled all over the place because they didn't use that knee thingy that jams it into the sides like on the DIY shows. Also all the laminate they put on the counters are buckling too because he or whoever did it didn't put enough glue and use that roller thingy to get out all the bubbles...( see I really pay attention to DIY shows!) I am telling you this because after I vacuumed it really doesn't look any different, it stills looks ugly tan without any carpet nap, even shiny looking spots. They really used the cheapest carpet because we have only lived here since Dec 2012. OK I am done whining... lol.

Feeling better, my complexion is feeling happier. My complexion goes to crap when I have a cold. When it clears up more, I shall cover myself with coconut oil from head to toe after a bath. My husband that has kind of an oily complexion/scalp just shakes his head at me. "Why would you put MORE oil on your body??" I personally can hear my body saying...."thank you" in a really high squeaky voice only I can hear... My cold is gone, and it's nice to not have to deal with "medicine head". Now I am giving medicine to son. He is a grumpy person when he has a cold. He goes into his bathroom and weakly blows his nose, and it is running. I tell him to really blow it, and get as mush out as you can. He says, "Yes Mom" in a really condescending voice. I know we bump heads when I try to mother him. But in my head I am thinking, "Just blow dammit, don't just toot your nose".

Today I am drinking alot of "lemonade water" and coffee. Having a big breakfast, then a small dinner. Eating some prunes. Keeping it simple on a Sunday.... Hope everyone has a nice day.

Becca
    Oregon

• Annr
    Options
    strawberries_zpswdvwl7mt.jpg

Can't wait until I can buy strawberries this summer... These were from last summer. MUTANT huh!
    Becca
    makin yer mouth water on a Sunday in
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    In honor of of my Kilt Wearing husband....(no that is not me lol)

kilt1_zps6tf2o9t5.jpg
  • Annr
    Options
    I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I CAN HARVEST TOMATOES....(ok I shouted that but I saw this picture from last year, and YES I grew that!)

100_3335_zpsdtu6dwqw.jpg

Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Patsy4w866gn7ryw9.jpg
    [/quote]

I dub thee PATSY THE LOOM QUEEN....
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Margaret - So glad you are having a look at one of DDIL 's books. <3 I have huge admiration for her, though one or two things annoy me. (She has a very different background to me) I have never met anyone with such a sense of quiet entitlement. I have learnt a lot from her. Things that I angst about seem quite simple to her. Of course, she earns a lot of money. :ohwell: But she is earning nothing for the next six months, which is hard for her. She would certainly look at anger as a reason for change. When my son was depressed about his job last year she supported him in resigning with no job to go to, despite her pregnancy.
    Her books were written as a collaboration between her and a journalist, but I think you can still hear her voice in them. She did say, when she was hugely stressed over the new pregnancy and DS 's job, that all the things she recommended didn't really work when you are in extremis. I thought this was a good learning for her. It is easy, when things are going well, to get complacent and think people who have troubles are weak, but when we hit the buffers ourselves, it is humbling and good for the soul.

Love Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sioux: I don't envy you your job, having done it myself for my mom many years ago. :flowerforyou: I have three of my mom's prized possessions that she left to my children in her will. They don't have the facilities to keep them yet. :grumble:

Margaret: I love this quotation: "Between the stimulus and the response there is a space. It is what you do with that space that can make all the difference. Sometimes for me the biggest challenge is creating that space." This is also true for me. It is so hard to wait while the other person handles the problem. :noway:

Barbie: I thought of you when I saw the walking poster. Walking has been incredibly powerful in your life. I enjoy it, too. I hope some day we can walk together. :flowerforyou:

lawmiller1: You joined by posting. I hope we will see you often. At the top of this page there is the outline of a star. Click on it and it will turn yellow. That is how you bookmark us. Then you can get here again anytime by clicking on the gray star of the main page. :smiley:

CSSJ09: Welcome back! :smile:

KJLaMore: Add me to the list of Little Women fans. I read the whole series as a child. :heart:

Becca: You are so naughty. :devil:

Heather: "It is easy, when things are going well, to get complacent and think people who have troubles are weak, but when we hit the buffers ourselves, it is humbling and good for the soul." I'd like to avoid this situation even if it would be good for the soul. I imagine it could come up again in my life. Things change for all of us. :heart:

We are still working on our exterior storage room. Right now DH wants to do something I think is stupid. GRRR!.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    kimses2 wrote: »
    Hi! I spent the day walking around a college campus with my son. I think he's close to a decision. It was fun and I got a good amount of walking.

So I need to get back on track with logging. I've planned all dinners for next week, planned snacks and will have the same breakfast each day. Lunch is the wildcard, but they have great options in the cafeteria at work (like grilled salmon with a side salad).

Does anyone use a menu planning site/service? I usually go through Pinterest and just pin recipes to my board (and entering them as recipes for a calorie and nutrition count). Eatingwell.com looks pretty good. I'm just feeling pretty lazy about planning but I know I have to do it. A lot of the recipes in Pinterest don't have nutrition info so you need to convert it.

Kimses in MA

Kimses, I love my Blue Apron and Green Chef. The meals are shipped to the house, recipe, food and all. Everything you need is in the box except for EVOO, salt, and pepper. Portion control with no leftovers to call your name 2 hours after supper. It keeps me out of the grocery store, where I impulse shop too much, and where there are WAY too many temptations. (If it's not in the house, I won't eat it. I wouldn't run to the store and buy candy, but if it's here, it's gone. Know what I mean? Anyway, works for me and my husband.
  • nb1959
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Dinner by campfire caimgcoadc8vehjn4d.jpeg

YUM!!! Great menu idea for the RV!
  • nb1959
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    I just thought of something...All of y'all who complain about being short should do better on the sit and rise since you have a shorter distance before you hit the floor! :tongue:

:D Noreen
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore - Did my squat circuit challenge for today (and yesterday, just forgot to post). Is it getting easier?

For those who need to add protein to their diets - I bought some powdered peanut butter about two weeks ago and have been giving it a thorough test. I was skeptical, but I love it! It adds all the protein, but less than half the calories and almost no fat. And it tastes good! Now, I have not tried reconstituting it to make a PBJ sandwich, but I've added it to protein shakes and recipes.
  • nb1959
    Options
    Beth (((HUGS))) I am praying for all of you. You cannot reason with someone with mental illness when they are acting out. I am hoping your family is getting the help you need, and he is open to accepting that help. He is the one with the illness and needs treatment to help him learn to manage it. You need support too becasue how difficult it is to have an ill child. Be kind and gentle to yourself. :heart: Margaret

I am with Margaret. The right pro makes all the difference in the world and it is worth every single penny.
  • nb1959
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Peach: I'm glad you liked the poster on the value of walking. A friend posted it on it on facebook. :flowerforyou:

Meg: I hope you are feeling better every day. DH went to an acupuncture doctor for a long while before he started taking medication for MS. She was a tremendous help. She said that it was palliative care. It could ease the symptoms but not cure the disease. :bigsmile:

Selena: I have not taken strontium for bone density but I am taking alondrate/fosamax. I started with the daily pill but didn't care for the morning routine, so I switched to the weekly pill. I'm tolerating it just fine. My doctor tells me that they won't do a bone density test to see how it is working for two years. When you take the pills, you must take them first thing in the morning with a cup to cup and a half of water. Then you sit upright for half an hour before brushing your teeth, taking any other medication, food or coffee. I can handle it once a week, but every day was not to my liking. :noway:

Heather: The grandchildren are adorable. :heart:

Joyce in SD: Welcome! I'm glad the walking statistics poster was useful. :smiley:

Pip: Yummy looking dinner. :bigsmile:

That sit/rise test is a toughie. I can sit without using my hands just fine. I'll have to work on the rising portion of the agenda. Just tried again and did get up with no hands, but not the way they showed it. I got to my knees and then to my feet. I'll try again another time.

My riding lesson today was all in the arena. My teacher was waiting for a student who didn't show up, so I got to spend two hours in the arena. I'm making progress, and I'm having fun. :bigsmile:

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif

Riding lesson! You ROCK!!
  • nb1959
    Options
    nb1959 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Peach: I'm glad you liked the poster on the value of walking. A friend posted it on it on facebook. :flowerforyou:

Meg: I hope you are feeling better every day. DH went to an acupuncture doctor for a long while before he started taking medication for MS. She was a tremendous help. She said that it was palliative care. It could ease the symptoms but not cure the disease. :bigsmile:

Selena: I have not taken strontium for bone density but I am taking alondrate/fosamax. I started with the daily pill but didn't care for the morning routine, so I switched to the weekly pill. I'm tolerating it just fine. My doctor tells me that they won't do a bone density test to see how it is working for two years. When you take the pills, you must take them first thing in the morning with a cup to cup and a half of water. Then you sit upright for half an hour before brushing your teeth, taking any other medication, food or coffee. I can handle it once a week, but every day was not to my liking. :noway:

Heather: The grandchildren are adorable. :heart:

Joyce in SD: Welcome! I'm glad the walking statistics poster was useful. :smiley:

Pip: Yummy looking dinner. :bigsmile:

That sit/rise test is a toughie. I can sit without using my hands just fine. I'll have to work on the rising portion of the agenda. Just tried again and did get up with no hands, but not the way they showed it. I got to my knees and then to my feet. I'll try again another time.

My riding lesson today was all in the arena. My teacher was waiting for a student who didn't show up, so I got to spend two hours in the arena. I'm making progress, and I'm having fun. :bigsmile:

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif

Riding lesson! You ROCK!!
    Noreen

• nb1959
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    strawberries_zpswdvwl7mt.jpg

Can't wait until I can buy strawberries this summer... These were from last summer. MUTANT huh!
    Becca
    makin yer mouth water on a Sunday in
    Oregon[/quote

Last year, my songbirds ate all of mine!! Any secrets? Noreen
  • nb1959
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I CAN HARVEST TOMATOES....(ok I shouted that but I saw this picture from last year, and YES I grew that!)

100_3335_zpsdtu6dwqw.jpg

Becca
    Oregon

Again, like the strawberries, mine look nothing like that. And Quincy, FL is known for tomatoes. Maybe it's me that's the problem!!
  • nb1959
    Options
    So, last night Husband made homemade cinnamon toast. Yep, that kind, with lots of butter and cinnamon-sugar. So I ate three pieces. And then a peanut butter sandwich. With 16 oz of 1% milk. And then a ripe banana. And that, my dear friends, is a sugar binge to be proud of. I am on my way to see if you can enter a binge.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ran my 5K fundraiser this morning with two of my granddaughters. It was their first timed 5K race. They are both 8. They wanted to run with their cousin but I told them that he (age 10) would finish about 10 minutes ahead of us. They decided to stick with me. As it is I ended up pushing them along. I did let up at the very end so they could speed past me.. their whole goal was to beat grandma! :) I had a small team this year, only 9 of us ran down from the 22 we have had in the past but it was fun all the same. Afterwards we went to eat brunch and had a fantastic breakfast, made the run totally worth it besides the fact that we raised money for brain cancer research (my mom died of brain cancer 35 years ago).

Going to a musical tonight. Oliver! Had a play last Friday and the symphony the weekend before so it's been an artsy couple of weeks.
    nb1959 wrote: »
    And that, my dear friends, is a sugar binge to be proud of. I am on my way to see if you can enter a binge.
    - gotta love those binge days, just gotta control their frequency. :)
  • nb1959
    Options
    Turns out, yes, you can enter a binge. You can even enter a type of binge. I chose, "Binge, Lack of Control." :p
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Larisa – Skydiving at 90; sounds like the way to go. I’d like to ride in a helicopter; but, not the way my Daddy did. He was airlifting from a hospital near Atlanta (nobody spoke good English); except for a neighbor of ours, ‘who told Mother that we’d kill him if we ‘moved’ him’. She told him that the man she had married had ‘died’ when he had his first stroke 3 months earlier. Said the saddest thing was, he wasn’t conscious to enjoy it. Had always wanted to fly in one, part of his “Bucket List” … so he made it; and, was much closer to home so Mother could stay with him. After the time expired where Medicare would pay for his treatment, she brought him back home to the county hospital with a DNR. The day that she died, she had woken up from a nap and went to the hospital; where the nurses were getting his ready for the call they were about to make to her. She asked them to ‘leave the room’, which they did. She said that was when he had the most peaceful look on his face she had seen in months.

Margaret – I agree that you cannot reason with someone having an episode; my husband can usually tell when I am having one, or about to have a ‘bipolar episode’ because when I talk, I make no sense to him. He calls it ‘babbling’; but, to me … I sound perfectly normal. But, the worst thing he does, is to ‘think that I can sleep it off’ like a drunk does a hang-over. He’s gotten better about it and we have the MD’s cell phone so we can talk directly to him. Sometimes he can tell my DH to make a change in my medication and if I have not improved by the next day to come up there and they will decide if I need to be admitted. That’s only occurred twice since I started going to him about 6 years ago.
    When my boys were young (8 & 10); I taught them how to clean up their rooms, cook (they had to plan a meal for one night and it started from cooking, setting the table, and loading the dishwasher; and their own laundry (since my DYS would change clothes 3x a day (or more and dump them in the dirty clothes basket). He still takes 2 or more showers a day; but, part of that is because of what he does for a living.

Heather and Katla – I am lactose intolerant; and although I will drink milk or eat aged cheese, it always upsets my stomach; I have cramps; but, if I limit the amount I drink or eat, I usually don’t have an issue with it. I can eat ‘white’ cheeses with no problems.
    I did not like to read for pleasure as a child. It really upset my parents, who were avid readers, also my 2 sisters were. But, for some reason last June, I went to the library and checked out 6 books; and, I have not stopped since. Husband and I usually read a book each, and, then exchange them. We usually only have to renew them another 2-weeks. Generally, they get taken back after about 10 days. I’m 2 books behind him because I ‘tried’ to ‘suffer’ through one that was ‘horrible’ … never did get interesting and I put it down and started another. I was just very disappointed in it because the ones we had read by that author had always been good. I don’t know why this one was so horrible; other than there was another author on it.

Katla – Our neighbor brew ‘dark’ beer; I don’t much like ‘dark’ beers; guess I grew up drinking regular or light beers. What I like best that they have given to us is the Hawaiian coffee that Jason gets from a family coffee bean plantation over in Hawaii, where his is from.
    Heather – I’ve heard that the Mayan ruins are extraordinary. It’s been a shame what the ‘bad’ people in the Middle East have tried to destroy things that were/are tourist attractions. Maybe they are just ‘superstitions’ enough not to have destroyed the pyramids in Egypt. Maybe they see them as being way too big to do anything to them. My BF has been there; has several pictures of them; and, it is amazing to me how they built them with just slave power. One block is really tall and dwarfs anybody standing next to it. She said that they would not allow pictures to be made in them. She and a boyfriend had a special tour guide and went into one that most people don’t know about. She took out her camera and made a shot; and he about jerked the camera off her neck. He boyfriend had to tell her that the paintings were protected from light of any kind (other than the candle lite lantern that he carried.

Patsy – Love what you are doing on your loom. I would not want to leave it either.

Sioux in Tulsa – I hope that’ll are wearing gloves and face masks while looking through all those treasures. We did, when we cleaned out the mess that my DFnL had ‘hoarded’ over the years, trying to get the house clean for our DMnL/DM. It was a mess! Found a few things we wanted to keep; but, most of it we just gave away. But, we had to look through everything because we had realized long before he died, that he’d stash cash between the magazines that were stacked up all around his bedroom. MnL did not sleep in there with him; she kept her room immaculate. She just gave up on the rest of it.

Heather – The one thing I make when we have the family over (for Easter and/or Thanksgiving) is a Pecan Cream Cheese Pie. Talk about calories. But, my family loves it. It’s not as rich as a regular pecan pie.

You could certainly ask it they’d take them before taking them there. You might be surprised what a little water will do to clean the covers. I’d certainly try that or if you have a prison or prison camp near you, they might take them, even if they are not in good condition. Is Taliah going to live in the house?

Denise Ohio – You are in a good spot. Lots of encouragement and since this is a site for women, we can say about anything. I had about 55”+# to lose and so far, I’ve lost 40#; when I get to that goal and depending on what my BMI number is at that time; we’ll decide what will be the best weight for me; then besides the one meal I can have now that I cook, or eat out; we’ll be adding other meals to the count. I’m one a ‘very’ low ‘caloric intake’ MD ordered and supported, so it’s been fairly easy for me.
    Tell us a little more about yourself. Family, hobbies, that sort of stuff.

Becca – I spend a lot of time watching decorating shows – most weekday afternoons and some on the weekends. So much better than watching ‘soap operas’ … nobody has that many problems; and, if they did they would not stay together. Maybe that is why they are always have babies made during an affair.
    My DDnL#2 got me started with the “Coconut Oil” … just a little goes a LONG WAY; and she told me that to put it in my hair, very sparingly; and, not to wash my hair with it. She said she did that once and it took 3 o 4 washing with Dawn to get it out of her hair. It does so much other than make your skin soft. You can ‘cook’ with it, put it in your drink or coffee. She also says you can squish it between your teeth; but, NOT to spit it into your sink … it will eventually stop it up. She says to spit it out in the trashcan. One thing I have noticed when I use in on my hands and feet is that the ‘white’ part of my nail is whiter than it normally is.
    I want some of those strawberries. They have a farm south of her (near Camilla) where you go and pick your own. I might get DH to take me there some time when they are producing fruit. Can they be ‘frozen’ or not? Mouthwatering tomatoes. One big slice with a lot of mayo on fresh white bread. I am glad to see that Vern is planting tomatoes this year. Last year, when Sarah died unexpectantly; he was in such bad shape that the only tomatoes for sale were early ones; but, he finally got out and picked more towards the end of the season. He’s planting something else at one end. They did everything together; and, she had had surgery. She had some disorder that her blood would get very thin, and then it would get very thick. They were giving her medication for this (she was getting better); then they did not change it when her blood started getting thin and she bled out. He was so pitiful. Old country family and that was the first time (in my adult life) where they brought them to the house for visitation. They were well known around the county for producing enough tomatoes to make a living at it (in just about a 4 month period). They were Sarah’s tomatoes; and, you picked them out, weighed them; and paid for them on a ‘honor basis’.

lawmille1 – You’ve joined if you post to this site. Just make sure that you click on the outline of the star so that it will turn yellow; then when you come back, click on the gray star between the bell and the gear. Tell us what you prefer to be called, tell us a little about yourself, married, children, grandchildren, hobbies, etc. You’ll get a lot of encouragement and since this is a site for “Women” [over 50] we can say about anything we want to here. We do try to not get into ‘political’ or ‘religious’ discussions because we have such widely beliefs and don’t want to get into that on this sight. Although we will say things about what religion we practice.

Carol – I used “Cliff Notes” in HS; but, the bad thing is that so did the teacher; and her questions about the books were ‘in the book’ but not a part of the ‘Cliff Notes”. We figured she had never heard about "Cliff Notes"; so some of us were 'very surprised'. I remember we asked "Mr. H" if he would be the one to call out the words for "Region"; so that we could understand what we were supposed to be 'spelling'. Was he the Principal when you attended MPHS? She could 'murder' a word. I don't even remember her name - that's how bad of an English teacher she was. My Mother had to help me all the time with writing papers (term papers). I now am an avid reader.

Lenora