WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I looked at the sit and stand video and my mind can't even grasp doing it.
    Becca
    scaredy cat in
    Oregon
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Starting at the first page - HI theresacan1 – Welcome, you’ve come to a great thread; just jump in there and post. Let us know what name you prefer to be called; your location (general or specific); something about you – hobbies, etc.; something about your family – married, single, committed, children, pets, etc.

Heather – We went without phone or Internet service for a day-and-a-half; that was pretty good, no political calls; but, no computer time either.

Katla – I, fall easy enough as it is; getting up has always been a problem for me; usually I have to crawl on all 4’s and find something I can pull up on to get up. However, moving in general has gotten better since I have lost 40lbs. But, I can’t afford to eat like I did tonight (Date night) … 2 pieces of large pizza and ½ of an appetizer (no drinks other than water) and I went over my ‘caloric intake’ by a BUNCH!!!!!! So after DH bought apple turnovers at the grocery store; I decided I did not want one. Not worth the additional 400 calories.

bart333 – And to all the ‘newbies’ … Let us know what name you prefer to be called by, location (general or specific), family, hobbies, all that. You’ll find that we are honest about our goals and how we intend on getting there; whether we are losing, maintaining, or for some, gaining. We are sometimes b******* or venting or raving. We try to stay away from ‘politics’ and ‘religious’ discussions (or we do it with one another through the private messaging on this site). Welcome to all!

Heather – Blue tongues always make kids ‘laugh’.

Carol – Sounds like Cracker and Tux. Tux sits up and watches over Cracker running around. Jax and Luna come down and Cracker runs Jax off; but, Luna thinks that Jax needs her protection, so Cracker rolls over to a submissive position, until she turns her back and then she takes off like the wind. She saw me across a field that is in between our house and our DOS’; and she ran up the driveway, the width of the field, and down the grass easement. She looked like a greyhound running.

Meg – It’s been beautiful day for the past 2 days, just windy which makes it almost too cool not to wear, at least, a sweater.

Kim – In Georgia KENO is a lottery game you can play, mostly at places like a small restaurant or a sports bar. It’s got a lot of numbers; and, you pick which balls will go into the holes; the more you get the higher your prize. I want to say there are (many) 100 slots and you get 20 balls (sort of like that); Sort of a bingo type of game. I’ve only played a few times. The games come on about every 10 minutes or so. You pay for your ticket ahead of the game (or for several games). Seems like a lot to go through, not only for the patrons but for the restaurant owner. It might work differently in other states.

Grandmallie – My DFnL was a ‘pack rat’ … he never threw anything a way. Because he was a teenage/young adult during The Great Depression … he’d do ‘stupid’ things like wash off aluminum foils, fold it up, and put it somewhere. Other places just looked like trash piles. As long as he was alive – nobody could ‘touch HIS stuff’. He’d take over any vacant place. DMnL got to the point he was doing it father than she was able to clear it. When he died … we cleaned the place out for her. Found some “LIFE” magazines; one totally about Kennedy Assassination. We kept it and a few other ‘Oldie Goldies’. He’d buy stuff ‘on sale’; mark it with the date he bought it and put it into the hall linen closet. When he died, in the middle- to late- 90’s he had tubes of toothpaste that was dated 1972 (the year DH and I married). Also, tight as a tick!

MaciBkonTrk and Marcelynh – Fried Green Tomatoes (most of it) was filmed in Juliette, GA (about 13 miles from where I lived growing up). The house in the movie was rented to an old HS boyfriend of mine. I, also, can relate to MarciBkonTrk’s Kathy Bates quote. There are also some days that I’d like to have a tank of a car (again) to push cars out of my way when they park where I wanted to. I did drive a ‘tank’ when I was in HS; but, a lot of us did. The guys would take old 50’s and early 60’s cars and fix them up, too.

Jkok01 – I just spent about $400 to replace a ‘lot’ of clothes that I could no longer wear (because of my weight loss). Took most to the consignment shop; hopefully they’ll sell them and I can use the money to buy some shorts (or plants, depending on my mood). The rest I took to Goodwill and got a receipt for tax purposes.

For the person with all the books, most libraries will take them. If they ‘need’ them, they’ll put them on their shelves, maybe finding out if other libraries in the area need them, or they will sell them to the public. Again, a donation you can use for tax purposes.

I never buy anything ‘full price’. I check sales racks; and, when I worked I’d buy a season back/ahead just to get a better deal. I also try to buy 3 tops to every pair of slacks or jeans I buy; and skirts, to interchange them with. I’ve got one black dress that I can ‘almost’ feel comfortable wearing. Gave my wedding MnL dress to the consignment store to try to sell. I only wore it that one time and then went on a MD ordered and approved diet to lose weight since I cannot take any kind of cholesterol lowering medications. I’m close to my first goal; then depending on my numbers will determine what my ‘ideal’ weight is and work from there.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    We just came for the night not on a mission to sell it, it's been listed.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    After two days of getting it right and doing really well today ... It fell apart after dinner as my son with the mental health issues started acting out. A major binge that did nothing to alleviate the situation. Just has me ticked off now. So stupid! And Margaret I'm thinking I really need to get a copy of the Anger book!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,924 Member
    Options
    SelenaP63 wrote: »
    Hey Ladies... quick question. Does anyone in our group have experience taking Strontium to counteract the effects of osteoporosis?
    Thanks!
    Selena (from Alberta, currently in Utah)

:) One of my line dance friends swears by it, but when I asked my doctor, she didn't think it made a difference
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    :( I thought that face was going to be a sleepy face but it isn't :/ So I am not unhappy, jsut tired.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Good evening, Ladies! I hope you're all having a fantastic weekend. :flowerforyou:

I can't even attempt the sit and rise test until I'm done recovering from that last surgery...but I don't care, cuz I'm gonna live until the skydiving accident I have planned for my mid nineties :tongue:
    Larisa
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,055 Member
    Options
    Beth (((HUGS))) I am praying for all of you. You cannot reason with someone with mental illness when they are acting out. I am hoping your family is getting the help you need, and he is open to accepting that help. He is the one with the illness and needs treatment to help him learn to manage it. You need support too becasue how difficult it is to have an ill child. Be kind and gentle to yourself. :heart: Margaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Peach: I'm glad you liked the poster on the value of walking. A friend posted it on it on facebook. :flowerforyou:

Meg: I hope you are feeling better every day. DH went to an acupuncture doctor for a long while before he started taking medication for MS. She was a tremendous help. She said that it was palliative care. It could ease the symptoms but not cure the disease. :bigsmile:

Selena: I have not taken strontium for bone density but I am taking alondrate/fosamax. I started with the daily pill but didn't care for the morning routine, so I switched to the weekly pill. I'm tolerating it just fine. My doctor tells me that they won't do a bone density test to see how it is working for two years. When you take the pills, you must take them first thing in the morning with a cup to cup and a half of water. Then you sit upright for half an hour before brushing your teeth, taking any other medication, food or coffee. I can handle it once a week, but every day was not to my liking. :noway:

Heather: The grandchildren are adorable. :heart:

Joyce in SD: Welcome! I'm glad the walking statistics poster was useful. :smiley:

Pip: Yummy looking dinner. :bigsmile:

That sit/rise test is a toughie. I can sit without using my hands just fine. I'll have to work on the rising portion of the agenda. Just tried again and did get up with no hands, but not the way they showed it. I got to my knees and then to my feet. I'll try again another time.

My riding lesson today was all in the arena. My teacher was waiting for a student who didn't show up, so I got to spend two hours in the arena. I'm making progress, and I'm having fun. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Katla - I was thinking of you last night when I started reading a book DH had bought me for Valentines Day. It's called, CHEESE AND CULTURE, A History of Cheese and it's Place in Western Civilization. It starts with the early pastoralists in the Middle East and they reckon that they were making cheese a thousand years before westerners developed the lactose tolerant gene. Cheese making makes the lactose more tolerable, but they couldn't drink milk after infanthood. I know you are lactose intolerant, like much of the rest of the world, so I thought of you. I'm loving the book so far. :D

DH off to cricket today. I love having the time to myself, but the urge to pick at food in the fridge can be a trial. I am having a very filling Asian soup for lunch, so I hope that helps. My weight was unexpectedly up this morning, which I am putting down to excess sodium yesterday. Cooking lamb stew with flageolets for a nice warming dinner when he comes home. Might start raining this afternoon, but the sun is shining right now. He is very excited about the first match of the season. :love: He is proudly displaying the car parking ticket I bought him for his 70th birthday last October. :bigsmile:

I'm writing in my memoir at the moment about the books I loved as a child. My very favourite was LITTLE WOMEN. It influenced my whole life. <3

Love to all, Heather UK
  • Worthit122
    Worthit122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is Janie and I'm 51 years old. I downloaded the App a long time ago, but didn't explore it. This looks like a very supportive group! I've been successful on diets, but have always gained the weight back plus more. I am at my highest now and just really need a community of friends for motivation
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Lenora ~ it was me that has books up the wazoo.. well actually at my dad's house, my brother will be home in a week and a half and will wait until he gets home, if there are any he wants he is welcome to them,, but I dont know if the library will take these they have been sitting and musting for years and years..
    I dont know what I will use to clean the hardwood floors other than murphy's oil soap, they really need to be refinished,but are 60 yrs old and not in the best of shape.. have to get the paint off the floor in Taliah's room and then on to decorating.. want to get it all done for her before June when she gets here..
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Still on vacation and no time to do more than log. Last night went to a British themed pub and had a I think Lancaster pie? Cheese, tomatoes potatoes and onions. Heather, I had to estimate on logging this! It was very tasty. DH had Cornish pasties and there was really good homemade brown sauce.
    Tomorrow I hope to catch up on reading. Thinking of you all,
    Betty
  • denlyons
    denlyons Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    New to this group. 61 yrs old and lost 23# so far but need to lose 52# more. All of you are very inspirational I love reading all your posts. What I gained in reading them is life continues but we still have to keep on track even when stressed, on vacation, etc. Thanks to all of you! Denise Ohio
  • grammyx23
    grammyx23 Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Happy Sunday morning all :)

Welcome Janie. This is a GREAT group, very supportive. Maintaining weight loss can be as difficult as losing it. Get your morning beverage and tells us about Janie.

Sioux in Tulsa
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Betty - Never heard of Lancaster Pie! Sounds delicious and extremely fattening! I love Cornish Pasties, but, even in Cornwall, it is hard to find a really good, authentic one. I know a place .......... sshhh! >:) Most things called Cornish Pasties bear no resemblance. :noway: What did you drink? British draught beer?
    My son has just finished his beer festival for his new job in Brighton. His part of the festival, with their new beer, sold out of tickets! :drinker: He stayed down there to see it through and DDIL 's parents went up to help her. Bea now looks enormous! As in FAT! Nearly all breast milk so I guess it's ok. :noway:

I've just stuffed myself with my Curry Laksa. 300 calories of loveliness. <3 Shritaki noodles help keep the calories down and I put 100 cals of King prawns in it. The most fattening thing was the coconut cream. Yummo!

Windy out, but still dry. The side gate is banging. DH will have to help me move flower pots tonight so the patio washing man, who is coming in the morning, can pressure wash. I want him to do the table and the umbrella stand as well. Because DH didn't think it was necessary I said I would pay for it. ;)

Welcome all the new ladies. We are a great group!

Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Heather: When I was in college I had a roommate from Saudi Arabia. She is the person who diagnosed my lactose intolerance and said she had many friends from there with the same problem. I will be grateful to her forever. The doctors at the University gave me Librium, a tranquilizer, which didn't help at all. I took one and hated how it made me feel so I threw the rest away. The doctors at the university didn't know about lactose intolerance and thought I was just another stressed out student whose anxiety was giving her a tummy ache. :noway: (Years later some glorious company developed Lactaid and I can eat ice cream again!) :bigsmile: Our third roommate was from Hong Kong. It was an interesting blend of cultures, to say the least. On another topic, I'm so glad to hear of your son's brewing success. We have many microbreweries in our area, and some not so micro. Brewing good beer is not easy, but it can be very profitable. :smiley:

Janie & Denise: Welcome. This is a very encouraging group. :flowerforyou:

Today we're going to continue our work on the outdoor storage room that opens onto our deck. We have a little more pegboard to put up and we need to paint. Later in the day we're meeting a person who will be renting our spare boat slip for his fishing boat. I hope it all works out well. He seemed nice when I talked to him on the phone and heard about our slip from friends who own a boat slip here.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.