WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kim, you all know my Dad was a minister. I am sure all ministers are like Dad in that they have their favorite churches. So Mom and Dad were at this one church for quite a few years, maybe 10? They had a big wedding anniversary coming up, I think 25 years, and the women in the church had every church family put their hand written first and last name on a quilt square and then quilted it. Mom treasured that quilt for years. It was always on their bed no matter what church they were at. They stayed at that church for several years after the quilt was given so the ladies group organized the newer families quilt blocks and gave them to them. Mom eventually found an old friend that was able to match the colors of the edgings and put the new quilt blocks together and it made a nice lap size quilt. My brother has that quilt. When Mom was in rehab after her broken hip due to cancer, we had that quilt on her bed there. It was weird, My dear youngest grand daughter Ellie came to see her one weekend. She was quite young and my DD had brought things to keep her busy. One was a kid type of scissors. Ellie took those scissors and starting cutting into Moms quilt! I was able to fix it and we made sure the place was always against a wall so no one could see my repair.

DJ, I don't think my sister has given up. I think she is just looking at reality. She has fibro, a lot of very painful and debilitating spinal problems and requires frequent spinal injections for tolerable relief. She already knows that the immunotherapy infusions will last over 3 years and she is tired of pain and the list of side effects are pretty bad with the most frequent side effects liver and kidney toxicity long with GI bleeding. The treatment only gives 15% more chance of beating the cancer. She has said she is at peace with everything but yet she called my brother and said she really needs a big hug and advice from him. He is the sibling the next younger than me but is our older brother. Yeah, weird. He is a minister most frequently a chaplain in a hospice for about 10 years. He is so much like my Dad it is wonderful for all of us but I know he feels the heavy duty placed on his shoulders. Just like all of them coming to me for all medical advice. I have already told Norma to not ask me what I would do if this was my problem. I don't know the pain she is in. I don't know the pressure of this being my 2nd serious cancer. I don't have a healthy husband that will help bear all the responsibilities of being a caregiver going through all of this. I am taking them up on the offer to go to her appointment next Monday. I asked her if she could get in the swimming pool at the Y with a port in that she would need for her infusions. She said I don't there will be a port. So I think she has made up her mind.

So even though I thought that the Kimmel Bed&Breakfast was closed, it will reopen next weekend for Thursday through Saturday so Paul can come over to our city and see her. She has a very hard hide a bed and I have an extremely comfortable California King size bed and bedroom. Plus he likes my cat!

Made the mistake of not reading here until after 10PM. Felt terrible reading all the 'this mornings' that you guys were saying! I think both my brother and my sister talked an hour apiece tonight.

JOyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I am so sorry that you're having phone & internet trouble. :devil: We live in an area where our electric and telephone lines are buried. They have been relatively trouble free. Our internet service is provided by the telephone company. We get our TV from a satellite--Direct TV. It has been quite good and got even better since purchased by AT&T. There are occasional glitches but they're rare now. :flowerforyou:

DJ: The remnant flooring worked great. I told DH I wanted baseboards and they're installed now, too. There are still things that need fixing, but this will do for now. On another topic, I'm in much better shape than before MFP, too. Nice feeling isn't it! :smiley:

Rori: I don't plan to take DD or the kids horseback riding. DD is newly pregnant and needs to be careful, and the grandkids are too young. We do plan to take them all to the coast and are considering staying there a day or two if the weather is appealing.

Joyce: Best wishes for your sister. :heart:

The deck storage room "fix up" is done for now and we both feel a sense of accomplishment. There are still a few things to do, but it is useable. We've had really gorgeous weather the past couple of days & I hope that extends to tomorrow when I have my riding lesson. The arena is great in bad weather, but it is so much more fun to be outside that I'm always hopeful.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,360 Member
    Options
    Today BT rang us when they said they would. A more senior person was on the phone, so DH was able to have a more nuanced conversation. Peach - they all speak English, but the minions are reading from a book and ask the stupidest, most basic questions, like "have you switched it off and on again?" Um, YES! The more senior man finally conceded we need an engineer sent out to us. They are coming on Wednesday. DH kept his temper the whole time, but he got confused and thought they meant the following Wednesday,.......... Anyway, we are making progress. If the fault is in our house we will have to pay. If it's outside the repair is free. Why they couldn't have ordered an engineer earlier is beyond me, but they have their protocols. :*;)

Going to make turkey burgers tonight. I usually put frozen spinach in them , but today I'm going to use grated zucchini. The two we don't eat, (it makes 6) are lovely cold for lunch the next day.

Still haven't done the Sit and Rise test. :*;):s
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD , Heather

Love you all. Keeping my posts short because of the internet. Sorry if I miss commenting. :'(

Heather UK
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For those still looking for it, here's a link to the Sitting-Rising Test: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/26/sitting-rising-test-life-expectancy-fitness/24076407/

Going to drive over to the Dallas area this coming week and stay for a couple of days, visit with my sister and drag her down to Deep East Texas (Nacogdoches) and see our brother. We're the closest of the family, and the last three of nine children. It's about a nine hour drive to get there.

Still contemplating whether to buzz up from there and see my DD/DSiL and the grands in Missouri. It's about another seven hours from Dallas up to Fort Leonard Wood (she's a soldier, as is her husband, for the newbies). Not going to say anything about being in Dallas, because I don't want to raise her hopes if I'm too tired to go ahead and go up from there. I love the idea of seeing them, it's been almost a year... but it's NOT restful, peaceful or serene. And traveling is exhausting to start with.

This is all spur of the moment, but there have just been too many losses of late for too many people, and I haven't seen my sis and her kids in a year--we went last June for my youngest niece's high school graduation. Haven't seen my brother in even longer than that. I honestly can't bring to mind the last time I saw him, which means it's been too long. And, I miss trees, out here in the desert. Springtime in East Texas is so beautiful, and I want to see the tall pine trees. They stay in your blood, and much as I love this desert oasis we live in, I want to see some red clay again.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas ('til next week)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Yesterday was not the best day I've ever had, but apparently I survived it.

Will try to write more tomorrow. This is hard.

sylvia
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sylvia hang in there. Took care of my father after his stroke many years ago. It was frustrating for him but we kept pushing forward and he made great progress. You will too. Hugs

Anne from WI
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Best first date ever!
    More details later if you're interested...dashing off to NH, got a lot to tell those ladies!!

Chris, who is smiling, in MA
  • kritney
    kritney Posts: 132 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good morning! I missed checking in for a few hours and this page has exploded with posts! I love it!! I'm still trying to catch up with everything though and I'm sorry if I've missed anybody's posts. This is a great, active group and I'll definitely be checking in more frequently.

I did the sit and rise test and got down ok but needed to put my hand down twice to stand up. So if I understand it right my score is an 8? Very interesting.

Been unusually hungry the last few days and when I woke up this morning I knew why. Grrr. I'll be so glad when this is finally over. At least I don't feel like my hormones are trying to kill me this month.

Anyway, I gotta figure out what I want to eat this week so I can go to the store and get my meals prepped. The saying about failing to plan is planning to fail is so true about me.

Have a great day girls!

Kristi in NC
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Ohhh Sylvia! :heart: :heartbreak: Sending masses of good thoughts your way.

/Penny
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Katla (drkatiebug) wrote:
    Well, I hate it, but my niece is going to have to spend the weekend with her mother. She will survive, I'm sure. Sometimes it sucks being an adult. LOL! I agree being the adult is not an easy role.

Noreen love the scarf. Thanks for sharing your picture of your handsome sons.

Beth your post about strangers bumping into you. Interesting we react this way.

Joyce keeping you and sister in prayers during this difficult time.

Sylvia ((Hugs))

Kristi :smile: on your result.

Becca love the pictures of your sons.

Lisa good for you to take the time for family connections! Your right distance does make it hard. Missing my family in St. Louis.

Carol gracious of you to give son's cat a home.

KJ LOL

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,360 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - HUGE (((((HUGS)))))) <3

Heather UK
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Woke up at 4 and could not go back to sleep. Hit the gym for the first time since last Sunday. I tried going back Thursday but felt like I was going to pass out. Being sick on Tuesday really took its toll. I know physically I am not in a good place but did not realize how bad till this week. Normally I bounce back from stuff pretty quickly and keep moving forward. I don't remember if I was this bad after my divorce. My daughter says yes. Maybe I was and just don't remember. Anyways made to gym survived and now get to clean my house. Such an exciting day.

Anne from WI
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    nb1959 wrote: »
    Day 6. I have decided not to weigh myself. After 30 years of doing so, I conclude that doesn't work; just too frustrating, pound by pound by tedious pound. Instead, I am going to celebrate going down a size with you, my awesome new and numerous new buddies! Size 18 now...Size 16, watch out! Here I come! Sleep well ladies. As Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day!"

Good for you! I stare at my scale and yelling in my mind...."numbers shall not define me!!"
    Becca

I find it frustrating the focus I put on a number...grr. I am an 18 now and have the 16 pair of jeans hanging prominently on the bedroom door. Behind them I've hung the 14s. Trying them on periodically as I continue my journey.

Cheri
    SNOWY Fairlawn, oHIo
  • jodielariviere66
    jodielariviere66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone. I'm Jodie and I just turned 50 - so glad to find this thread!

Resolutions for April:
    Log all my food
    Exercise 3X a week
    Do whatever it takes to do the above
    Pick myself up and get right back at it if I don't do the above :smiley:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,719 Member
    Options
    going to go to the lot this morning by the ocean, not going to the gym, going to weed wack it! get it looking nice and manicured for potential buyers. kirby said there is a couple looking at it today, don't know the time. hopefully i'll get connection for my cell phone over there, it's spastic, hopefully i'll still be able to log food. later peeps
  • nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    grammyx23 wrote: »
    Lenora - I've done a quilt out of mens ties. Taking them apart was a big job. But finished result was worth it. I did for a church fund raiser. My original stash of ties ran out so put note in bulletn that I would give old ties new life. The ties came flooding in. After top was completed and i had quilt layers together, I left on the tables in our fellowship hall. The next morning was men's bible study and they all looked it over to find their ties. When I came in later to work on it, Pastor came through and showed me a piece that was "similar" to one he has. His wife came up behind him and commented , HAD. Unfortunately the quilt only brought in only $300. I have done one before that 2 generous members were bidding against each other. It brought $1100. Made me proud :).

Watched Hawaii 5-O. Tonight's episode is using the 'copter from Magnum PI.

Sioux in Tulsa

GRAMMY, I loved this story!
  • nb1959
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Ok, I tried the fit and rise test. Lost one point going down, at least. I need a hand for balance. Coming up I need a hand and a knee. An evaluator may think I needed two hands and two knees. I don't know. What I do know us that I don't have to crawl to a table or chair to help pull me up anymore like I did before I started my strength training in January. So take that, you old test!

Mama and I drove all the way to Dawsonville today for the specific purpose of trying on sports bras at the Soma outlet. That's a good hour from Mama's. They don't carry sports bras in the store. So disappointing! They had some really nice workout pants, but I wanted the capris and they didn't have them in my size. The long pants were super nice, but I knew I would burn up in them this time of year, and I'm hoping to be a smaller size by cold weather. I bought a pair of workout shoes, a pair of navy dress pants, and some tee shirts for Dave. The shoes are nice, not the color I really wanted, but they were on sale and seem to fit well. They are Under Armour, gray with turquoise accents. I wanted some neon yellow, but couldn't find any.

I knew I should have gone to NOLA. They sent my sister home with an IV pain killer. She has to have someone with her 24-7 for the next 48 hours. Well, I hate it, but my niece is going to have to spend the weekend with her mother. She will survive, I'm sure. Sometimes it sucks being an adult. LOL!

I'm trying to decide whether I need to take another day to go to Dillard's in Atlanta or just bite the bullet and order a couple of bras from the Soma website. I really, really want to try them on, though. On the other hand, I don't have time to go driving all over the countryside. Why couldn't my boobs be a Walmart size???

On the plus side, lest all the newbs think all I do is whine, I worked out every day this week and was down a lb at my weigh-in. Yay!

LOVE my Soma bras...as we enter retirement, I may have to give them up...but they last three forevers and are as good as it gets when you harness up ol' Flip and her sister Flop. My twins are not quite the same size and one's a little lopsided...but I love her the best cause she took one for the team during our breast cancer. Soma will assign you a clerk who will measure you and stick with you until you find one that fits, then you're on easy street and can buy online. Good luck, girlfriend!! Noreen
  • nb1959
    Options
    For those still looking for it, here's a link to the Sitting-Rising Test: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/26/sitting-rising-test-life-expectancy-fitness/24076407/

Going to drive over to the Dallas area this coming week and stay for a couple of days, visit with my sister and drag her down to Deep East Texas (Nacogdoches) and see our brother. We're the closest of the family, and the last three of nine children. It's about a nine hour drive to get there.

Still contemplating whether to buzz up from there and see my DD/DSiL and the grands in Missouri. It's about another seven hours from Dallas up to Fort Leonard Wood (she's a soldier, as is her husband, for the newbies). Not going to say anything about being in Dallas, because I don't want to raise her hopes if I'm too tired to go ahead and go up from there. I love the idea of seeing them, it's been almost a year... but it's NOT restful, peaceful or serene. And traveling is exhausting to start with.

This is all spur of the moment, but there have just been too many losses of late for too many people, and I haven't seen my sis and her kids in a year--we went last June for my youngest niece's high school graduation. Haven't seen my brother in even longer than that. I honestly can't bring to mind the last time I saw him, which means it's been too long. And, I miss trees, out here in the desert. Springtime in East Texas is so beautiful, and I want to see the tall pine trees. They stay in your blood, and much as I love this desert oasis we live in, I want to see some red clay again.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas ('til next week)

Lisa, I can see Texas from here, with your wonderful writing. I would love to see it someday.
  • nb1959
    Options
    When I quote and reply, can y'all see it? I sure don't want you to miss it! You are all crazy good. We ought to pick a city and have a convention! But travel is hard for a bunch of us for various reasons, so we will continue to keep our fine company here. Chins up, everyone!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options

I am also reading a Book called Taking Charge of Anger written from a male perspective. I find the contrast in the two titles The Dance of Anger and his interesting too.

Part of the reason these books appeal to me right now is the anger I experiencing concerning our son. This anger is getting in the way of my relationship with him and taking up too much energy in a nonproductive way.

Before I go back to the chapter in Who's responsible I want to share a the section from Taking Charge of Anger where he talks about identifying triggers something to I want to consider before looking at who's responsible for what in a relationship. His premise is to look at your own expectations. I know I struggle with this. He addresses: Sometimes I get frustrated when I feel I give and give and I do not always get back what I think is fair. So when my expectations are not met I feel anger. His suggestions are to consider how realistic expectations are and prepare yourself if you know the expectation will not be met. This helps to manage your anger instead of your anger managing you. He reiterates similar to statements said in Dance with Anger that we are powerless over what people do in response to our actions. He suggestion is if I cannot change the situation I have the power to rethink the situation.

Yesterday I found myself getting anger when someone called to tell inform me about the status of my son. As part of this update she started listing off all these additional procedures that would fall on us to follow through if we wanted to see certain changes to occur. She stated these things in a very calm manner. I just started feeling overwhelmed. I thanked her for the info. After the conversation instead of letting the anger boil and start blaming my son with giving me ten more things to do I discussed the situation with my DH to figure out if following through with these ideas would be appropriate at this time. What changed is usually when I try to have these types of discussions with DH he become impatient and I end up even more frustrated. In the past I would have charged through and done all the things this woman suggested and ended up even angrier. Instead what came from the conversation is we agreed to wait on these suggestions and we came to an agreement on something entirely different we could do now that hopefully will help our son. We are on the same page concerning our son.

The bottom line by reflecting on these two books I am starting to see productive changes in my behavior.

I will post more on The Dance of Anger another time.

:heart: Margaret