WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    SelenaP63 wrote: »
    Hey Ladies... quick question. Does anyone in our group have experience taking Strontium to counteract the effects of osteoporosis?
    Thanks!
    Selena (from Alberta, currently in Utah)

I wanna hear this, too. Noreen in Quincy
  • nb1959
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Kim, even though I won’t be making a quilt I thought your idea about sending each other the book pieces was way cool. Have fun ladies.

Sioux, the quilt with men’s ties is a great idea. If you have one would you share a picture?

Rori, glad your labs are good. It doesn’t sound like a bad idea to do your colonoscopy early since you now have family with a history. Always better safe than sorry. Good luck in selling your condo.

Kay, I’m like you in that I really don’t like buying some things online that I can’t try first. Someone was talking recently about the Geni Bra’s. I used to wear them and at one time ordered 6 on a special. When they arrived two of them fit and the others were all different sizes, even though they all said the same size. Two of them are still too small and I’m down from a 44 to a 38. I hope your sis does well and I agree it won’t hurt her DD to help out for a few days.

Joyce, your parent’s quilt sounds so special. I understand why they treasured it.

Heather, glad you will finally get someone to come look for the exact problem. I hope it’s not going to be on your dime. smiley-laughing018.gif

Lisa, have a safe and fun trip to see family.

Sylvia, sending (((Hugs))) and healing thoughts for a quick and complete recovery. Wish I were close enough to lend a hand.

Chris, so happy for the great first date!!! I don’t know about the others but I am definitely interested in details. smiley-laughing007.gif

Jodi, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with your name and location, general or specific. Come often and join right in.

Pip, I don’t recall you saying why you are selling the lot? Good luck on the sale.

Noreen, we can see it when you quote and post. Can you not see it? We have often talked about a get together someplace. I know I would love to but for many of us the expense is all that would slow us down.

Margaret, so glad you are finding helpful information from the books. (((Hugs)))

T, welcome. It is always good to start slowly and add to what we do. Please tell us about yourself so we can start to get to know you. Come often and good luck.

Katla, very interesting stats on walking. Gee I may have to take it up.

Heather, great picture of the grands!!! I’ll bet Bea feels left out.

welcome.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s still very cool but not raining. I think I will go hit a couple of sales today. I don’t desperately need anything but my birthday is in a couple of weeks so I feel the need to go look. Lol I got the handyman scheduled to come back on Monday and hope he finishes the list that day.Sending good thoughts for all of you and wishing you each a healthy and happy day. happy-spring-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

I see 'em! I just wanted mo make sure I was doin' right. Thank you for letting me know I am! Noreen in Quincy
  • nb1959
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    can barely move... worked another 4 hrs at my father's house and I am Happy to say you can finally see the floor in both bedrooms. I dont know how many boxes of books I have taken downstairs, I found old record albums, I piled everything that looks like it is worth something on the dining room table.. and boxes and boxes and boxes of books piled all around... now I will wait until my brother comes home, and he can go through the books,,, I even found one of my dad's old wallets and there was a 20.00 bill and a 2.00 bill in there and a receipt from the bank from 1986 ,,, geesh. I should say finders keepers ,but dad needs it more than I..he is beyond thrilled that it is all getting cleaned up.. and in the back of my mind.. I am swearing at my mother for collecting all this junk...

Bless your heart. I inherited a mink coat from my Gram and found a 5 in there years later. (Florida is not exactly a mink kind of place, and it would give me the heebie-jeebie anyway. I cannot bear to spend it!
  • nb1959
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UWGo9_BGOsc

Spring has sprung at the Decorah Eagles home! This long video, but you get to see an entire feeding session from start to finish. That big eaglet picks on his littler sibling, then tries to take on Mom. (There's one in every family.)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    nb1959 wrote: »
    Day 6. I have decided not to weigh myself. After 30 years of doing so, I conclude that doesn't work; just too frustrating, pound by pound by tedious pound. Instead, I am going to celebrate going down a size with you, my awesome new and numerous new buddies! Size 18 now...Size 16, watch out! Here I come! Sleep well ladies. As Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day!"

Good for you! I stare at my scale and yelling in my mind...."numbers shall not define me!!"
    Becca

I find it frustrating the focus I put on a number...grr. I am an 18 now and have the 16 pair of jeans hanging prominently on the bedroom door. Behind them I've hung the 14s. Trying them on periodically as I continue my journey.

Cheri
    SNOWY Fairlawn, oHIo
    I have some GOAL clothes too!

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hello Marci, Welcome! It's sounds like you got great goals set for this month :-) I have a phrase that really speaks to me presently.

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's unbecoming everything that isn't you so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

Powerful eh? I love that and the mindset that I can be perfectly imperfect. That there is perfection in the realization that my scars, my life's story, gives me strength. I'm like those beautiful Japanese pottery bowls that have been broken but repaired with gold shining in the seams of the cracks connecting it, and making it really strong. Welcome again!
    Becca
    Oregon

I will remember this post for a long time. Beautiful!

(((((((hugs))))))
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Noreen, are you in Illinois?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-
    Other- weedwack lot at ocean- 2hrs 3min 8sec, 87ahr, 103mhr= 547c
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Day 6. I have decided not to weigh myself. After 30 years of doing so, I conclude that doesn't work; just too frustrating, pound by pound by tedious pound. Instead, I am going to celebrate going down a size with you, my awesome new and numerous new buddies! Size 18 now...Size 16, watch out! Here I come! Sleep well ladies. As Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day!"

Good for you! I stare at my scale and yelling in my mind...."numbers shall not define me!!"
    Becca

I find it frustrating the focus I put on a number...grr. I am an 18 now and have the 16 pair of jeans hanging prominently on the bedroom door. Behind them I've hung the 14s. Trying them on periodically as I continue my journey.

Cheri
    SNOWY Fairlawn, oHIo

I'm so excited for you. I know you get it into stour smaller sizes
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Selling the lot cuz. We r lowly getting rid of stuff
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I did the sit and rise test. Even with bone on bone arthritis in both knees and both hips, I scored an 8. I needed one knee to get down and the same knee to get up but not much.

My oldest daughter is spending the night with a friend, and the youngest is spending this cold day watching videos (a real treat for us- I severely limit screen time). I finished a book on Pandemics and am now reading one on the refugee camps in Kenya. I tried a new one on the Salem Witches, but just could not get in to it, although evidently a lot of people are reading it- the Iowa City library had three copies!

Feel good about purging today. I gave away a set of silver plate tableware that I had bought for my son but his wife didn't want, complete with the silver cloth lined wood box it came in. And I gave away a pair of newer but old looking chandeliers (one is still hanging- I have to remove it) to my daughter's friend's mom who is building a new house. I have a vintage fixture that I had been planning on trading out so now I need to hustle and get it done! I really like giving things to people individually who I know will love and enjoy things, rather than to an anonymous agency that may just trash the items if they don't sell.
  • nb1959
    Options
    Noreen, are you in Illinois?

Florida!
  • nb1959
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Stats for the day-
    Other- weedwack lot at ocean- 2hrs 3min 8sec, 87ahr, 103mhr= 547c

YAY!! Noreen
  • nb1959
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Becca

Cheri
    SNOWY Fairlawn, oHIo

I'm so excited for you. I know you get it into stour smaller sizes

I am with you, girlfriend. Join with me and sing with your best Julie or Carrie impersonation, "We are 18, going on 16..."
  • jmok01
    jmok01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’ve been gone awhile, but I think I’m back on track. I briefly posted several months ago, but was a lurker for some time before that. I have been logging, exercising, and reading your posts again for about a week and lost 4 pounds. Katla’s Thomas Edison quote comes to mind: “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.”

Since I’ve been gone awhile: a quick recap of who I am: 55 years old; married, no children. Work full time at a university, working on my Masters degree, do bookkeeping for my husband’s business, and my husband I manage a small set of apartments. I have about 65 pounds to lose.

Joyce – I’m jealous! I also went to CJ Banks today but only got 25% off. Oh well, better than full price. My bill was about $300, but am glad to have some new things. I think I wore the same 5 outfits to work every week last spring & summer – and most of them were several years old. Excited to have some new options.

Heather – awesome grandkids with the blue tongues. So cute!

Pip – good luck selling the beach lot!

Katla – thanks for the walking statistics. I printed it to hang in my exercise room for inspiration and encouragement. :flowerforyou:

Noreen – “harness up ol' Flip and her sister Flop”. Love that phrase!

Sylvia – take care and wishing you well. :flowerforyou:

I’ve been enjoying all the pictures and posts from everyone. I love how supportive you all are, and very talented with your writing! I’m also in awe of the grace, wisdom and determination many of you have as you deal with challenges you face.

Joyce in SD (still pictureless since I can’t get my picture to post and my requests to MFP help staff haven’t resulted in any helpful assistance.) :grumble: I'm thinking about creating a new account and see if the new account would work.
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi! I spent the day walking around a college campus with my son. I think he's close to a decision. It was fun and I got a good amount of walking.

So I need to get back on track with logging. I've planned all dinners for next week, planned snacks and will have the same breakfast each day. Lunch is the wildcard, but they have great options in the cafeteria at work (like grilled salmon with a side salad).

Does anyone use a menu planning site/service? I usually go through Pinterest and just pin recipes to my board (and entering them as recipes for a calorie and nutrition count). Eatingwell.com looks pretty good. I'm just feeling pretty lazy about planning but I know I have to do it. A lot of the recipes in Pinterest don't have nutrition info so you need to convert it.

Kimses in MA
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Dinner by campfire caimgcoadc8vehjn4d.jpeg
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I just thought of something...All of y'all who complain about being short should do better on the sit and rise since you have a shorter distance before you hit the floor! :tongue: