Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore - Although I share your exasperation for censorship of perfectly good words, I had to laugh because your post reminded me of a local band here that wrote a song after the U.S. Surgeon General was dismissed for encouraging *kittens* as an alternative to sexual activity for teens. (Sorry, that was me typing that and not MFP... I just found "kitten" an amusing substitution!) Anyhow, they coined "firing the Surgeon General" as a new euphemism for that activity.

Marci - Amen to being too young to be old and too old to be young! On the inside I mostly still feel like I'm in my 30s, but then I have all these aches and pains that tell me it's not so.

Kimses - I also struggle with menu planning. It's not that hard and I love trying new recipes, but for some reason I don't like to take the time to do it so I procrastinate. In fact, I have no idea what we're having for dinner tonight and will need to figure it out soon so I can send my sweetie a grocery list to pick up after work.

Heather - Would you be willing to share the recipe for your Curry Laksa?

nb1959 - I love your sense of humor about your sugar binge (and it sounded delicious)!

Becca - I meant to plant some tomatoes yesterday and never got around to it. Now your photo has inspired me to get it done this week, because I love tomatoes! I usually grow red cherry or grape tomatoes and yellow pear tomatoes. In the summer we just put them in a big bowl, drizzle on a touch of olive oil, sprinkle with fresh basil, and chow down. I add fresh mozzarella sometimes when I have it on hand.

As you can see, I had a lot of catching up to do from the weekend. And I am STILL coughing my lungs out! That can stop any time now. Also, this foster greyhound is putting a crimp in my walking style because she won't walk on lead and if I leave her behind she howls until Luna and I get back. Will have to reach into my bag of tricks for more ways to get her motivated for walkies!

I've started looking for a therapist, asking around among my friends and looking on line for listings in my area. I find the whole thing kind of daunting. It won't be my first time in therapy, but starting new with a stranger is rough. I need remember that if I'm not comfortable at the first session, it just means I haven't found the right therapist yet.

Welcome to all the new folks, and a happy week to all!

-Yvonne in TX
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Yvonne, yes, try out several therapists before you decide. There are so many approaches to therapy and some are very helpful, and some are just more disabling (hand-holding therapy). I personally thing that cognitive behavioral therapy is the most effective. It has been shown to help AS MUCH as antidepressant treatment. It is actually something that some people can teach themselves using a good resource, like David Burns, MD, The New Mood Therapy which came out in the 90s. Two things to look for. Number one, does the therapist believe that you can get better (more important than ANYTHING else in studies!). Number two, what technique do they use (many will say eclectic, or whatever is indicated. Pin them down!). And of course, you have to feel comfortable with the therapist. I could recommend a niece, PhD psychologist, in the Austin area.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Sioux- I was so stunned when I read about what happened to your brother, I immediately ran down the stairs to tell my husband. Wow! You just never think about the dangers when you are working on a project. It surprised me so much, I forgot to tell you how sorry I am that you lost him! <3 So sorry!
    Yvonne-"firing the Surgeon General"! Sounds like a great title to a song! lol I don't use a lot of profanity; but when I saw my perfectly harmless word replaced with *kittens* I immediately felt the urge to just start posting words to see if they have a problem with them... >:)
    Beth and Miriam- good conversation you two are having! I see a lot of holistic remedies being used with my daycare kids for different things (anxiety, add/adhd, mainly) I suffered from migraines from the time I was about 12-30. As a child, there wasn't a lot at the time that they could do for me, so it all came down to me in a dark cool room and my mom would come in and stroke my forehead, scalp, and neck with her cool fingers (her hands were always cold) and she would sing softly. She also always smelled like vanilla. LOL. I don't know if there is any science behind what she did for me, but it would calm me down and ease the pain enough so I could go to sleep. I grew out of them by age 30. I don't know if it was hormonal. At that time I was eating more soy/less dairy and perimenopausal. My mom passed away when I was 26, but I still use her as a soother when I have headaches or don't feel well. I just imagine her stroking my head and singing to me. Puts me out in minutes.
  • sequimtrim
    sequimtrim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    sequimtrim wrote: »
    I started this past week. What I will be doing in April:

* weight training 3x week
    * exercise 6 days per week, minimum 30 minutes, average 1 hour
    * keep carbs under 100

welcome.gif..I hope you will also be coming back to this thread daily to let us know how you're doing and to join in the conversation. What kind of exercise will you be doing?

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

I'm doing very well with this. In fact, working at carbs under 40. I blew my carbs on one day only. Lost 6-7 pounds so far. :blush:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone. I'm making good progress and am at 80%, according to the nurse at PT. I think she doesn't know that I was never really 100% anyway. :D

I'm typing with two hands right now. Slowly, that's true, and I have to back up a lot to fix mistakes, but still. I'm using both hands! I'm still on a soft food diet, and sadly, I have discovered that ice cream and potatoes and gravy are soft foods. I miss raw fruit and veggies.

Gotta go. Take care, everyone.

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    CJ, I love the Moche stuff too. Studied it in college.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    weight-lifting-smiley-emoticon.gif Just finished my weight training while watching "Elementary" with my sweet hubby and in a few minutes I take the dogs for their afternoon walk.1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I called my doctor this morning and actually got an appointment for this afternoon. General diagnosis is acute sinus infection. The boy child just got back with my antibiotic. I hope it works in a hurry.

I caught up with reading but feel too bad to comment except, go Sylvia!!

:heart: Carol in NC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Carol, not fun. Crossing fingers for your return to health.

Sylvia, so good to see you able to type with two hands!

Love to all.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    KaLa love the soothing image of your mother.

Beth I agree with Miriam healing can happen for your son. It is a process, and he has to find the right combinations that work for him. I believe he has the power to do it. I am continuing to learn more and more about the glutamate/ GABA connection to those who exhibit signs of mental illness. Also the health of your gut has its influences on if substance pass the brain barrier. I just read an article and the effect of low grade inflammation as a contributor too. Unfortunately low grade inflammation can be a part of many other diseases too. I agree with everything that Miriam said too. All the things she mentioned affect ones ability to manage mental illness. I too believe it takes more than just medications to live well with mental illness.

Those with diabetes know improving your lifestyle has a tremendous affect on managing diabetes.

I say to the practitioners prove them wrong!

Hugs and prayers as your family works together to heal your son.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Miriam: My mom was depressed most of my life, and nearly all of hers. I was a person with wintertime blues from lack of light, seasonal affective disorder. I have a house that is lit up inside with daylight temperature light bulbs and I take vitamin D3 every day. I also get regular exercise, even in winter. I don't experience seasonal affective disorder symptoms any more. It has been a blessing. :heart:

Yvonne in TX: I hope you are able to find the right person to help you reach your goals and a more comfortable frame of mind. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: It is so good to see your post, and great news that you are making progress. :star::heart: :star:

I just finished painting the pegboard in our outside storage room. I went to the paint store a couple of times and told them I liked one of their colors quite well, but could they make it a little lighter. They did, and saved the formula for me. The color appears to exactly match the old paint, and since most of our home interior is this color, I can now do clean up and patch projects, or repaint a room in that color if I want. I can also change colors. Light and color makes a big difference in my moods. I love the colors in most of my home, which I would describe as a pastel orange and vanilla ice cream bar.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    http://us-store.bouncelifestyle.com/products/cacao-mint-protein-bomb

Just had this for snack. Wow, it was really good. Planning on buying them and sending some to my son out to sea. Other flavors of these (think protein bar in a ball form) is Superberry, coconut and macadamia, and peanut cacao.

Becca
    Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,242 Member
    Options
    CJ -love those beautiful Peruvian images. Don't post the ceramics or some of you would have a heart attack! I used to have postcards of the ceramics very privately displayed in my bedroom and absolutely loved them. Now they are in a drawer. :'( What great images you saw. :flowerforyou:

We had a terrific night out in the restaurant, but were overcharged. We have rung them and they will ring back tomorrow. I'm sure we can sort it out.
    Really enjoy DH 's friend's company. His wife is great - used to be a nurse. They have a severely disabled young grandchild who is not expected to live much longer. Some awful syndrome. But he keeps rallying. Hard for everyone.

I am only 10 calories over!

Heather UK
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    from the bouncelifestyle.com website, happy reading:-)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    LET SELF-LOVE BE WHAT MOTIVATES GROWTH

By Paula, 21 January 2016 •
    The start of a new year is often a time we commit to changes in our lives – with the view of becoming a bigger, brighter version of ourselves.

And whilst intentions and goals are a good thing, I’ve been thinking a lot about what motivates us to make these resolutions in the first place. Are we motivated by dissatisfaction with ourselves or empowered by what’s possible (just because)?

Personally, I’ve spent many of my forty odd years trying to make personal improvements, with the aim of feeling better about myself. Oddly, I’ve ended up feeling the same old way about myself – regardless of whether I achieved my goals. The bar somehow kept shifting. Is this something you can relate to?

As human beings we are prone to being quite hard on ourselves. We tend to look at ourselves through such a critical lens, creating a mental checklist of faults that need “fixing”. This form of motivation may be enough to get us going – but if the focus is to move away from what we don’t like about ourselves, at what point will we be happy with our results? This route to our goals is rarely satisfying. There will always be perceived faults to tackle.

Making the shift from a “move away” style of self-improvement, to a “move towards” kind of motivation begins with having an appreciation for where and who we already are. Why not give ourselves a bit of a break and adjust our focus to things we can acknowledge about ourselves? We can do this without comparing ourselves to an earlier time in our lives, or someone else for that matter. If we care to take notice, there’s plenty of good stuff right there already. From this place of authentic self-acceptance, we can look at what we actually want to achieve, and not what we’re driven to achieve in order to feel better about ourselves. The great thing about this type of motivation is that it feels good from start to finish.

So, my personal challenge this year is:

Instead of creating intentions to be a better this or that, I’m going to experiment with the possibility of being okay with where I am. I’m going to explore being more of myself in each moment and see where it takes me.

My wish for you is that, whatever intentions you create for the year, may you discover more of the goodness already within you. From this good feeling place, the possibilities are endless.

Paula x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Becca
    Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    CJ the pictures are fantastic!!!!!!!
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Spent a little over an hour at the gym today. My abs have been sore since I was there on Saturday. Sneezed on Sunday thought I was going to die. Lol Cant go tomorrow but back on Wednesday and Thursday. After the gym on Thursday going to get a new tattoo so Friday no workout. Then only abs and lower body for a few days.

Found out today if I go to the gym 13 days a month my insurance will reimburse me for my gym dues. Sweet deal.

Made oven roasted cauliflower for dinner. Garlic salt and pepper and a little parm cheese. Turned out pretty good. Normally cover it with cheese so this was a much better healthy option.

As for my emotional relationship issues or now lack of relationship still up and down. Still don't feel comfortable in my own skin or house really. To much alone time and I head into a crappie place but doing my best to stay positive. One day at a time they say. Makes the eating well trying most days but forcing myself to or no gym per Dr's orders.

Thanks for letting me vent in the last section.

Anne from WI
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Just made it home and logged in for today, which was not good. Fantastic breakfast followed by road food and pizza...
    On to a better food day tomorrow.
    Heather it turned out that it was called Lancashire pie. It was onions, tomatoes, potatoes and cheddar with upper and lower crusts. The pasties were said to a Royal Navy recipe.
    Sorry I have not been reading all the posts but hope to get to them once I have had a decent sleep.
    Betty
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ide hm 2 gym- 12.52min, 13.7amph, 142mhr, 2.9mi = 128c
    SPIN- 42min, 90ar, 102aw, 10-12g, 113ahr, 148mhr, 18.6mi = 300c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.39min, 11.1amph, 147mhr 1.4mi = 79c
    ride wk 2 hm- 18.17min, 8.7mph, 149mhr, 2.6mi = 190c
    total cal 697