WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    simsisfun wrote: »
    1 week use of the site. Next small step: everything I eat today will go on the calorie counter. I am encouraged by all these messages.

Go, you! Baby steps work much better than crash and burn. You can do it!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    kjlamore -

clicked on my login, where it says hi, pipcd34
    clicked on edit photos
    clicked on another picture i wanted to use
    when the new picture appeared, i clicked on main image

new pic stayed, BA-BAM!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Internet rubbish today. Grrrrrr! The engineers are coming tomorrow morning. About time!

Got DH 's refund sorted. No problem.

KJ - I had the turbot at the gastro pub. It's a very fine, very, very expensive fish. I have never cooked it myself. Not sure I could buy it around here. It's a kind of flat fish, like sole, but can be large.
    Yes, I like my cooking too. :laugh: Tonight we had chilli with roasted butternut squash and cabbage.

I've booked the excursions we are going on for our cruise. Ridiculous prices! The website wouldn't recognise my email address, so I spent ages on my mobile waiting for them to answer. Can't use the house phone because of the crackle. :sad:

DJ - There is free WiFi in the library on board. I anticipate that I will be able to post on some days and not on others. I hope to keep you all up to date, especially about my meet up with Penny. :bigsmile: One trip I have booked is in a small speedboat dinghy up a fjord to a waterfall, hopefully seeing bird life, eagles etc. :laugh: Another one also involves a boat trip to another famous waterfall and nice countryside. We have two free trips in Svalbard to the abandoned Russian mines in Barentsberg and Pyramiden. Otherwise we are going to rely on our own resources to get around the towns. DH hates coach trips and tourist traps and waiting about for other people. So do I. :wink: This trip is for the over 50s and some will be quite elderly.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    http://us-store.bouncelifestyle.com/products/cacao-mint-protein-bomb

Just had this for snack. Wow, it was really good. Planning on buying them and sending some to my son out to sea. Other flavors of these (think protein bar in a ball form) is Superberry, coconut and macadamia, and peanut cacao.

Becca
    Oregon

I didn't notice calorie or nutritional information when I followed the link. Can you provide any details? :flowerforyou:

http://us-store.bouncelifestyle.com/products/cacao-mint-protein-bomb
    There you go, just click on the ingredients tab. :-)
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Strategy is stronger than willpower.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    15,000 steps
    178 minutes of dog walking
    59 minutes riding the exercise bike

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
    Strong Lifts with dumbbells
    sumo squats 3 X 10 @ 30 lbs
    bench press 3X10 @ 40 lbs
    dumbbell row 5X5 @ 60 lbs
    kettle bell swing 3 X 10 @ 20 lbs

:) I am really grateful for my uneventful, peaceful life. The only bump seems to be that our new car is at the car doctor getting the catalytic converter replaced (not at our expense, thanks the the warranty), but we've been driving a "loaner" for over a week. The car is OK but all my reusable grocery bags are in our car and I hate that we've made several trips to the grocery store and had to use store bags instead of our reusable ones. :'(

:)<3 Thank you all for being part of my life

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful cloudy NW Washington t116002.gif

Those store bags make great "liners" for all our small waste bins around the house. Makes taking out the garbage really easy.
    I am blessed to have such a peaceful life. I feel smart about it all. Being proactive has its benefits!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    kjlamore -

clicked on my login, where it says hi, pipcd34
    clicked on edit photos
    clicked on another picture i wanted to use
    when the new picture appeared, i clicked on main image

new pic stayed, BA-BAM!!

I turned up the volume and still no Ba-BAM sound???? It must only BA-BAM for Pip... ((((pinches Pip's cheeks and rushes out laughing......bwahahahahahaha))))
    Becca
    bein' silly in
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    OK I am having a panic attack (with glee). I weighed myself and from last Wednesday to yesterday I went from 230 to 228.8. I haven't been in the 220's since 2012 so it was WONDERFUL to see. This morning I woke up and weighed as well. It said 226.8. Holly Moses! I even stepped off my digital scale and stepped back on. Yep it was right... I am off my plateau of 230's and have stepped into the abyss of 220's and I am dancing right plain THRU the 220's. It's a powerful thing to see forward motion and it makes me so darn happy. Can you say ONEDERLAND??? I am singing it in my head in my opera voice!!!

Becca
    Oregon
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    becca wooooooohooooooo!!!!! Love it, keep going.......insertvdancng emojis right here!!!!!!
  • Annr
    Options
    @klanders30 thanks.....I am beaming today. I told my husband that getting down to 189 is my goal because that is what I weighed (my lowest) when I was doing Jenny Craig. I then changed consultants (did JC by phone and food sent to me) and was matched with a gal that sounded 12. I then started my backslide, lying to her about what I weighed, and never getting back to 189. Then the guilt about spending the outrageous amounts of money (at least $400 a month) on my food that was what.....not making me slim, kicked in.
    So the fact that I am doing this, I am my own consultant, fixer of food, and queen of the MY domain of non-diet mindsets is awesome. There is most pride in my accomplishment then how I felt when I was 198 with Jenny. So clueless, my mind just not getting it, and Jenny not giving me a damn thing... lol.

Becca
    Oregon
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    KJ, heel spur pain is related to plantar fascitis. The overgrowth of bone is at the bottom of the heelbone where that ligament attaches. According to WebMD, the pain is actually from soft tissue damage, not the actual bone hurting. So anti-inflammatories or steroid shots can help, as does exercise and my hot tub. Most people don't need surgery to remove the spur, just need to take actions to heal the soft tissue and prevent new injury. My constantly going barefoot probably is not helping, but I run in to other problems when I wear shoes (my feet are men's EEEE width with a high arch so finding shoes that don't hurt is REALLY hard- have been since childhood and thin days). So your pool workout would help, as does my hot tub workout.
  • Skworon
    Skworon Posts: 40 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am new to this site only one week in. I am 56 and I am trying really hard to keep going . So finding someplace I can chat when having a bad day is important. My most important goal for April is keep going g. I have started so ma y diets and quit.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Miriam ~ I developed bone spurs when I was walking my beloved pup 3 miles a day. About the only thing that got rid of them was to stop the long walks and wear better shoes.

KJ ~ Do you keep the children in your home or in a day care? Love to hear your stories about the little ones.

CJ ~ Fascinating reading about the culture of these people. You seem to know so much. I am impressed.

There are so many folks here who expand our horizons with their vast knowledge of the world. I am so glad that I have come to a place where I can learn about new things.

Healing thoughts and prayers for those who need them.

Carol
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Something weird is going on with this post. I've deleted it, but the same thing happened again. Somebody else was having trouble with the quote function, as I recall...

I'll just leave the next attempt at a post. Way past my bedtime!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    nb1959 wrote: »
    Spring has sprung at our house! Here are two baby armadillos just outside Mama's den (two more are inside) and an alligator enjoying the warmth of the sun. t8fux8gvt22r.jpg
    Noreen - now THAT I found exotic! I've never even seen a stuffed armadillo, let alone a live wild one!

Katla wrote: I suffered from migraines from the time I was about 12-30. As a child, there wasn't a lot at the time that they could do for me, so it all came down to me in a dark cool room and my mom would come in and stroke my forehead, scalp, and neck with her cool fingers (her hands were always cold) and she would sing softly. I don't know if there is any science behind what she did for me, but it would calm me down and ease the pain enough so I could go to sleep.

KJ - You want some science? Sounds to me like you've been under the gentle spell of oxytocin, a hormone that's released when people touch each other. It's extremely important in contracting the uterus back to normal size after childbirth and in getting milk from the glands into the baby's mouth. (Just the baby sucking isn't enough. Oxytocin ejects the milk to where the baby can suck it out.) At the same time, oxytocin is one of our most important "don't worry, be happy" hormones. I can see why your mother's actions could have helped you fall asleep!

Joyce - I'm so sorry to hear about all the health issues among your nearest and dearest. :heart:

Sylvia - I'm equally glad to read about your progress. If your son is taking your ill health as a wake-up call, that's definitely a step forward.

Heather wrote to DJ- There is free WiFi in the library on board. I anticipate that I will be able to post on some days and not on others. I hope to keep you all up to date, especially about my meet up with Penny. :bigsmile:

Heather (and DJ and everyone else), I suspect there will be entire days on the cruise when you either won't have internet access at all, or it will be very slow. However, in Longyearbyen we have high-speed internet. Fastest in Norway, maybe fastest in the world. It's one advantage of being near the world's largest ground station for downloading of satellite data. All those kazillions of 1s and 0s have to be forwarded to their rightful owners... But the important thing is, as we wander through town, we can stop off at the church and go online. They have wireless internet there and I know where to find the password. ;) We can have some coffee, get updated on the thread and post some pics to prove we're both there at the same time o:)

Yay BECCA! \o/

A lot of new people have joined us. I've been so out of things recently that I have scarcely commented at all but I'm truly glad to have you all here! Welcome!
    /Penny, getting excited about meeting Heather at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • pipcd34
    Options
    becca wrote:

OK I am having a panic attack (with glee). I weighed myself and from last Wednesday to yesterday I went from 230 to 228.8. I haven't been in the 220's since 2012 so it was WONDERFUL to see. This morning I woke up and weighed as well. It said 226.8. Holly Moses! I even stepped off my digital scale and stepped back on. Yep it was right... I am off my plateau of 230's and have stepped into the abyss of 220's and I am dancing right plain THRU the 220's. It's a powerful thing to see forward motion and it makes me so darn happy. Can you say ONEDERLAND??? I am singing it in my head in my opera voice!!!

[/pip saying NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! STOPPP SINGINGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!! b]
  • pipcd34
    Options
    DID you guys notice the new buttons? like and awesome sause????? my quote button isn't working tho :0/
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies-
    Still at work for another 30/minutes and darn close to 17,000 steps..
    :D
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    New buttons are not lining up, uh oh

Recipe for buttermilk roasted chicken was not great, not horrible, but i wont be making it again..

Off to work out at the gym, i am so proud of me... o:)
    Karen from ny
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DJ: I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, and pleased that your DH is doing a good job taking care of his health. :flowerforyou:

Miriam: I had a bone spur in my little toe. I had surgery and the doctor ground off the spur. This was done in the office under local anesthetic and I watched the whole thing. It was quiet interesting. The toe took a long time to fully heal, but I was able to walk out of surgery and never needed assistance. I suspect a bone spur on someone's heel might be challenging. The toe took very little of my weight as I moved around. Heels carry a heavy load. Good luck. :smiley:

Becca: Thanks for the nutrition info link! :smiley:

Barbie & Becca: We use durable reusable shopping bags nearly all the time, and keep them in my car. Today we were driving DH's car and bought two new bags for a dollar apiece for our purchases. The new bags have been assigned to DH's car. When we do get plastic bags we also use them as trash can liners. When they go to the dump they're full of waste. :smile:

Becca: CONGRATULATIONS on breaking the plateau! This time you have the skills and resources to manage your own weight and are not depending on expensive packaged food or some consultant. You have lots to be proud of. :star::bigsmile: :star:

rb & Penney: Regarding migraines, I'm confused about the comment attributed to me. I had one migraine as a teen and one as a young mom when my baby son got hurt. They were awful, but there have been only the two times. I got carsick all of the time riding in a smoke filled car with my parents. :noway:

I have a city committee meeting this evening and expect to be out late. There will be lots to talk about at the meeting and it looks like we're starting a busy season for new construction and changing land uses.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca – Great for you! I had gained about 6lbs back in February; so when I finally broke through my plateau – I did a happy dance around here. Getting closer to my goal; can’t wait. Get a facial when I do (can’t decide if that is the goal that puts my BMI in the correct number; or if it is what I have set for my total goal to be? Guess I’ll find out Tuesday.

My DnL is on a diet – sounds extreme; takes a lot of vitamins and stuff; then, she eats like a bird. Had to eat their ‘cabbage soup’ for the first 3 weeks. Not WW's. I hope she succeeds, has a walking pal so maybe that will encourage her. Last night DH and I went down to try to help DOS hang up his ‘massive’ turkey he had mounted. Damn that was one huge bird. Makes my DH’s look like a baby (at 20lbs). DOS’s was closer to 30lbs. Got it mounted as if it is swooping down from a tree limb. DDn#1 was not thrilled with him having it mounted; a friend of his helped him pay for it. DOS's friend is like our red-headed-step-child. Both parents are deceased within one year of one another. Now his grandmother has passed away and he is living in a house on her property. Aunt and sister want to sell it ... trying to find a way to buy them out and keep it. Primo hunting land. Turkey was one that he and DOS had been stalking for several years. Elusive little 'clucker'.

Skworon – You’ve come to the right place. Let us know what you prefer to be called, tell us where you live (general or specific); then tell us something about you, family, grandkids, hobbies, anything. We encourage and we also have bad days and ‘b****’. Come back often and make sure you track everything that enters you lips – drinking or eating. Get a good set of measuring cups and spoons, and also a weight scale. That will help you out a lot.

Gee, I find that 'if' I don't comment or make a smiley face when I read up to that point, I am lost - doesn't seem to know where to drop me down (usually in the middle of a story).

Finished de-cluttering my MBR (for the most part). Could not move the heavy furniture; so some of it did not get cleaned like it would if I had help moving it. Thank goodness for 3' long duster. Cracker does not like it at all. Tries to attack it. She's really bad when I use a vacuum cleaner. MBR bath is taking me a lot longer Moved the shelf that I used to hold my make-up container on into MBR to put HD TV receiver on) and moved a wooden tool box made by my Pop out on the glassed-in porch as a coffee table. It's beginning to look like a 'room'. Electricians come tomorrow. Can't wait until we actually buy a door for it from the deck (DH is supposed to talk to a carpenter that he sometimes works with.

96-year-old man (on news) flying in a 'fighter jet' (as a passenger) ... certainly does not look his age by any stretch of the imagination. I guess doing what you love to do every weekend keeps you young

Lenora