WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Millerxll
    Millerxll Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Betty, I have a 4 shaft Nilus 45" over 50 years old. I'm doing a 4 thread Herringbone pattern and the colors are called English Garden. This is the first time I have spent the money to buy a kit with the colors already picked and probably won't do that again due to the cost. I also have a Harrisville 36" 4 shaft loom that I am thinking of trying to sell. I bought it three years ago and have never used it. I always mean to but just seem to use all the others instead. My problem is lack of sufficient room to set up all the looms and spinning wheel. No artist wants to have to put away all their oils and brushes every time they use them. We need space to leave everything handy.
    Thank you all for the good wishes about my kidneys. I am getting more blood work drawn in the morning and have my fingers crossed. Being a retired RN, I know all the difficulties in store if I go into kidney failure. Don't want that!
    Patsy, in Flintstone, just below Rock City on Lookout Mountain.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    morning peepers-

told you I would hit 1k yesterday... I won't today even if I ride home, but that's ok.

we are going to get another tattoo. I just have to decide where I want it. it's going to be the bottom pattern of a vibram five finger shoe that I wear for running and underneath that, it will say 26.2. I just have to decide do I want one shoe print or two. decisions decisions
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaannnnnnnndddddddd it's raining again. RAINING! The flooding continues. Not affecting my area now but others are still under water. I would complain it is cutting into my walking but that would be a little bit petty. Seriously though, Lisa in West Texas needs to stop sending us the fronts. It goes through a bit north of her then 12 hours later is sitting on me pulling in the moisture from the gulf. Not fun.

We don't even want to venture into food territory. Sitting inside brings on the munchies. AUGH!

Marcelyn
    Developing webbed feet in Houston
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn, I know right? Weird weather patterns this year, tstl...

Katla, thanks for the stretching moves, I'll give them a try tonight before bedtime. Compression gloves are about $19 a pair, and I'm just not sure about spending that much money for something that may not work...

Weight's doing well, stayed the same during my travels.

Cheers...
    Lisa in W Texas
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I find that the creams that have Trolamine salicylate 10% in them, with or without menthol, do help my hands or other joints when they are really bad. Don't use one with menthol if you want your cat to be nearby. They hate the smell - a great cat repellent.

Off to PT.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    well lugged the 2 heavy air conditioners up a flight stairs and got Tal's curtains up. orange oiled 2 bureau's and Tal's desk chair, was down here and walked the dogs, was watching for my brother's plane to fly over as we are on the flight path.. it did and I waved.. lol he didnt see me, they did stop while I was up at dad's , he looks great!!!
    well now I am off to mow the lawn..
  • mhampton52
    mhampton52 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm married to the same man for going on 44 years in August. I fell in love with his voice before I even looked up to see his face; still feel the same way. Always have, always will. He is my 'rock'; I'm his 'balloon'. We do a lot together and we do a lot separate. There are just things that one enjoys; that the other doesn't. We plan our 'away time' at the same time. We take all 3 of our DGDs that live next door on a long weekend to the beach. w
    We've gone to Atlanta for the weekend (and we've enjoyed that trip); but, they really prefer to go to Villano Beach, FL near St. Augustine. I always want to go to 'Old Town' so I can pick up another flamingo to add to my collection.

I like a vinegar-based 'hot' BBQ sauce. Grew up eating BBQ that way. I have to taste the sauce before I agree to having it put on my BBQ in the first place. I also like hand-rubbed seasoning. My DOS can grill BBQ ribs that fall off the bones. Yummy! Both my DOS and DYS are 'great cooks'. DYS lives in Louisiana ... so Cajun Cuisine is one of the things he has mastered. His chicken, sausage, duck gumbo is to 'kill for'. We usually bring some of it home with us.

I de-cluttered my bookshelf at the end of my counter where I keep my cookbooks; I decided after doing it (straightened it up mainly) that I need to go through it again and actually throw some of that stuff on it away! That mood hasn't hit me yet; The only thing I need to do in MBR is under my bed. Hoping that DH will hurry up and finish the glassed-in porch. Supposedly, he is going to see about a door and get a carpenter he sometimes works with to come out and hang it. At this point; if he will just fill in the cracks and insulate it; I'd be thrilled for the carpenter to finish it off.

We have a bad case of 'carpenter bees' ... Hell on a wooden house. When DOS picked up his turkey; they had 'carpenter bee' traps for sale. He bought one for us. Look simple to make. Box that hangs from a chain with a Mason jar in the bottom; and holes the size of a carpenter bee drilled into each side. We hung it up Saturday AM and the jar is covered at the bottom. $15 each; I think my DH could make some for out house to hang all around it from scrap wood and I have plenty of mason jars.

I am a 63 year old Christian, Cajun Lady who would love to get to
    Know others from Louisiana. New on MFP.
    Marilyn
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Got my hair cut (medium cut). Louis has not seen it; but, did not like my hair growing out; neither did I - way too hot to wear down. Doesn't like my hair too short; I think he will like it. Got pedicure while I was there. Feet feel so good!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Michele and CJ size 8 was my clothing size in college, so yeah it feels good to be there again. i might have gone smaller but I really hate things that bind tightly, so I don't mind a little loose in the caboose!!! :p

i am enjoying a quiet moment drinking coffee on my back porch, the place I love beyond measure, just me and birds. I am relaxing before another nites' events, 3 nites out in a row is too much for this introvert!

Tomorrow I am going with DH to the heart doc because I have to be sure he is telling me everything, which you know, can be tough for husbands...he is a lousy patient but i want to know that he is really cleared for this upcoming miniscus surgery.

GORGEOUS DAY IN NY but tomorrow it rains...

Karen from ny
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say that I'm alive. The illness I had last week knocked me out for the entire week and I'm still tired. Can't read long enough to catch up but I did see that DrKatieBug hit onederland! Woohoo!

Back to work I go...

Carol in NC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Karen, a size EIGHT???? Woozer, Woozers!!!! massbounce.gif Way to go.

Joan, welcome. Come often and join right in.

Kay, I hope you didn’t misunderstand me. I’m certainly not saying I have never pitched a hissy. Tee hee hee I just don’t remember trying to blame DH for some random accident around the house. Men just seem to want/need to blame someone. Glad the garage door is fixed and updated.

Heather, sorry your DH was sensative about you “YELLING” at him. (I admit, I’m giggling a bit). It just reminds me of my DH who has comments to make about anything on TV,. To the point that I have to pause it and back it up all throughout the program. *sigh* I love him but sometimes would love for him to just shut up. At least we are both a bit robust so no one ends up in tears.

Lisa, glad ya got your power back. Cool deal on selling the chairs.

Kay, WELCOME TO ONEDERLAND!!!! happy-times-smiley-emoticon.gif You knew it would be soon but doesn’t it feel great when you get there. Keep up the good work.

Katla, I’m sure many of us remember “Laugh In”.  What a beautiful setting and house!!!
    m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Thanks for all the suggestions on a “dill replacement” for the Spinach Feta Pie. I haven’t read much today as have been very busy. I prepped and painted the front door. It’s very dark blue and had a white scratch on it from the Christmas wreath blowing and scratching it. It’s only been there or ah, let’s see, um 4 or 5 years maybe. But it looks good now. I need to paint the trim just over the garage door and around the front door. When I went to get that paint out, it wasn’t the right one. It could have come with us from Charlotte, I don’t know. So I just got back from Lowe’s with trim paint. DH is cooking steaks for dinner. I can’t remember the last time we had a real steak at home? LOL For all I know this could be my birthday dinner but it’s not until Sunday. Anyway, sorry to have gotten so far behind but thinking of all of you.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DJ - HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR SUNDAY! !!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!! (Just in case I forget) :drinker:

Or should I say, GRATULERER MED DAGEN! (For Sunday, not today :ohwell: )

Heather, about to go to sleep in the UK :) and who is on a 71 day streak with her Norwegian. :D
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DJ, Happy early birthday! And no, all's cool with the hissy fits. I was just teasing you.

I know we have a few Jewish friends on here, so Happy Passover to you!

Marilyn, welcome! I'm not from Louisiana, but my sister is. Does that count? I want to be your friend. Pretty please!

Karen, congrats on the size 8. I think the smallest I've ever been is a 10.

I washed the pollen off the porch and moved the plants out there today. It looks so pretty. We did upper body at the gym today, sets of various exercises with Dumbbells with bursts of cardio in between. It was fun.

Oh, and Katla, I thought you might appreciate this one. Now that the grass is all cut, DH went to Home Depot and got another mower (just a little cheap one) so that we could get grass together. How romantic is that? Bless his heart. I told him his timing was impeccable. Luckily for me, the chore comes around quite frequently. I don't understand why we couldn't tag team with one mower, but he seemed to think this was a great idea.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,973 Member
    Options
    :)drkatie, I love the plan of "His" and "Hers" lawn mowers...very romantic.smiley-chores044.gif...the year we moved into this house we had a significant snowfall and when Jake started to shovel the driveway, the shovel broke so we drove to town to buy a new shovel...at the first store we found a very attractive blue snow shovel that I wanted to buy...we bought it, but Jake didn't like it so we went to another store and bought one more to his liking... he said we'd have "His" and "Hers" snow shovels.....there hasn't been enough of a snowfall here since then and the shovels sit in the garage almost untouched,

<3 Barbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: I hope the stretches are helpful. :heart: I wouldn't expect miracles on the first try, but over a period of time they can make a noticeable difference. :flowerforyou:

Leonore: I went in for a haircut and pedi today. I'm feeling good at the top of my head and the bottoms of my feet. :wink: :bigsmile:

DJ: I looked and the picture is of Dr. Katie's house. I agree that it is beautiful! I haven't posted a picture of mine. :smiley:

Dr. Katie: The minds of men are sometimes unfathomable. Maybe your DH has a motto in mind, such as: The family that mows together glows together." Isn't "glow" a southern term for sweat beautifully? :devil: (PS: You get the good mower, he gets the little cheap one.) :bigsmile:

I'm having a low energy day and don't really know why. I took the dog for a walk and that was the most exercise I've had all day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies: Sunny today but not so hot. Got some yardwork done and groceries bought. DD did the riding mower last night while I was at choir so we should be good until she comes back. Now I just need the guys to come repair the septic. They need the mini excavator and apparently it was scheduled elsewhere. Hope this gets done soon. We have an open smelly hole in our side yard.

Katirbug - Congratulations!!!!!

CJ - Good luck with the dressage boots and enjoy the lesson.

Lisa - Try some hand exercises in hot water, your sink or the tub. Make a fist and open or squeeze a sponge. Spread fingers and bring them back together. Touch your thumb to each fingertip making circles. Bring the thumb to the base of the little finger and back. Try bending just the fingertips like cat claws. These are all exercises taught in Arthritis foundation water exercise. According to the ladies in my arthritis class in SD these work.

Sending healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA