WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting at my desk with a bag of frozen peas behind me. This morning I called a chiropractor's office and asked if I could get in. Surprise, I could. So, they told me to save 20 minutes I should go to their web site and complete the new patient paperwork. FOURTEEN pages of nonsense (and about 40 minutes), before it got to the part where I said my lower back and hips hurt. It asked THREE times if I was pregnant or planning to be. I should have said yes, just to mess with them.

Then I had to print it out and I had yellow paper in the printer and didn't want to change it, so they got it all on yellow paper. I went there and they were not very friendly at all. They took my blood pressure STANDING UP, and asked me what it usually runs. I told them 140/90 and when it came out as 124/52 they looked at me like I was lying to them. I said I thought it wasn't very accurate. Then one office girl took her own BP to prove me wrong.

Well, then the doctor turned out to be one of the women in the office that was acting so mean. It went downhill from there. She wound up putting me on a table for "spinal decompression" and she didn't seem to put me in it correctly because all it seemed to do was to pull me down to the end of the table. She left me for 15 minutes, and when she came back in she seemed surprised that I was at the end of the table. But she didn't say a word, possibly because she knew she was the one who hooked it up. Then she did some "adjustments", where she pulled each leg till my back popped. Then she said that it might be 5 or 6 visits before I noticed any improvement. HAH! Does she really think I'm going back for 6 visits?

She told me to put ice on my back, but didn't say how long and I forgot to ask. So, here I sit with my frozen peas. At least that feels good. Maybe I could have saved a couple hundred dollars by just going to get a bag of frozen peas in the first place.

What I really need is a nap. Fitbit said I slept less than two hours last night. Sounds about right. It was a rough night.

So PIP, it isn't just you ranting this morning.

Later, ladies.

Sylvia
  • auntybiowa
    auntybiowa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Happy April 1st ~ Stormy weather last night and heavy rains today.

Lisa ~ Love the pics of the quilt and the grands. Aren't we lucky to have grand children!?!

Barbie ~ Thanks for keeping this thread going.

Everyone have a great day!

Carol

U to have a great day it's raining here also there goes my walking .so I guess I'll go on treadmill again .I'm 64 yrs old and when u gain weight it's really hard to take off .
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Rant all you like Sylvia dearest. You deserve to let off some steam after everything you've been through - and mostly been through with the patience of a whole passel of saints!

Miriam, I just wanted to express my appreciation of the excellent point you made about changing family dynamics leading to siblings growing up in "different families". So true!

I've been lurking for a while for reasons I can't quite fathom. Maybe I felt I needed to write something brilliant and didn't feel up to it? I dunno... :/

The sun is well and truly up now. Reminds me of when we had just moved to northern Norway and were scouting around for a cabin or cottage for sale out in the sticks. Lots of ads enticed buyers with the phrase:

smiley-happy032.gif Good sun conditions day and night

It really tickled my funny bone back then, but I understand better now. It's really important to have good sun conditions, especially at night. The worst possible place for a bedroom is facing north because then you get fried all night long.

When we finally built our own place we rotated the house 180° from the original plan so the bedroom was placed facing firmly south and the sitting/dining area faced east, where the rising sun first becomes visible in February. Besides, we've got mountains at our back, to the north, so no problem with overheating under the midnight sun.

That polar bear we had just outside town was eventually sedated and airlifted 200 km away to another island. They considered chasing him away with snowmobiles and a helicopter, but the Governor decided it would be best for everyone (not least the bear) to airlift him out of harm's way. He was a gorgeous 3-year-old male in good health, weighing about 250 kg. Pics on the website of our local paper, if anyone's interested.
    http://svalbardposten.no/index.php?page=vis_nyhet&NyhetID=7094

Heather, get your Norwegian in gear!

And the Governor's office has a video showing the bear waking up from sedation after the move.
    http://www.sysselmannen.no/Nyheter/Isbjorn-fraktet-til-Ringertzoya1/
    Be prepared for the harsh sound of the helicopter in the video! The bear has been marked on the rump with color that will disappear in a few days. The blue around his muzzle comes from the material they wrapped around his head to protect his eyes while he was sedated.

/Penny, enjoying the excitement of life at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • auroranae
    auroranae Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hello All!
    My name is Dawn and I am new to MFP and being 50; just had a birthday in January and after several years of issues causing weight gain- some beyond my control and some not- I decided that with a new grand baby this year and the high school graduation of my 6th and last child... it's time to pay attention to me and my health- starting with my weight.
    So, I live in Maryland where it is lovely now as Spring unfolds, but where the winter cold keeps me indoors. I love being outside and actually lose weight much easier in warmer weather I want to get on the right track now so that when the horrible winter-ness happens again I'll be slimmer and more fit and have established good habits that will kick in even when I don't want to do anything.

I am hoping to get some motivation and support from others who have busy lives and understand where I am in my life but are able to lose weight and get healthy too.

Thanks!
    D
    oh- and thus far I have lost 6 pounds since April 13th.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, usually no more than 20 minutes for ice. You can do it again, but you don't want to cause frostbite! So sorry you had such an awful experience at the chiropractor.

Penney, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the north side getting too much sun! I always look for lots of east, south and west light in my houses. The north side is full shade- no direct sun at all.

Weather didn't cooperate with my gardening, so I had to stop after two and a half hours. Probably a good thing- I will be able to walk tomorrow! LOL I went out and soaked in my hot tub afterwards. Helped everything but the bone spur pain in my right foot, and my right hip. It is funny, since my left knee and right ankle were what was hurting while I was doing it! I think I will go read until my youngest gets home in two hours. Then I will do some housework/ pet care since I won't be able to read!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Penny, that is one handsome polar bear.

I don't know if an app on an android can help find an apple product. And Pip, yes I did pray about where it was. i pray about finding a good parking place, where are my keys, etc. My God loves me and listens to me and cares for me.

Joyce, Indiana
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Just checking in... Stopped reading for half a day and now I need a flowchart for the new people! Welcome even tho I feel too scattered to remember your names! This is a great group!
    Sylvia I almost spit my tea out reading about your doctor visit! Tell them you are having triplets if you ever have to darken their door again.
    I am leaning towards trying one rhododendron -- there is something we have gotten the past couple of years--stakes that look kind of like solar lights that you stick in the ground that deter the deer most of the time. I think they have dried blood in them. They last one season.
    Going to break down and get a new camera this week--a mid-range type. Always scary spending money on myself but my old point and shoot up and shut down. And I want to take classes and have something just a grade up. Wish me luck!
    Have a great afternoon, ladies! Lunch break is almost over for me...
    Betty
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Penny - My Norwegian was definitely not up to the job! I did get the gist though. Thanks for the links!

DH tried to get our wifi printer linked to the new modem today. I am scared of that sort of thing so I just paced around while he tried and failed miserably to do it. He hadn't a clue and I had to find all the hardware and find instructions on line. In the end I told him to stop and I would try tomorrow. I was definitely losing it! So was he! I have never seen anyone so clueless. :sad:

Oh dear Sylvia! What a miserable experience! No wonder you could get in without an appointment. ;) Those places should make you feel cared for and nurtured.

Nothing on TV tonight. DH is watching football. I will watch a recorded film.

Love Heather UK
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Driving through Atlanta to visit with my mom today. If I leave around 9 AM the traffic is not usually too bad. The worst part is driving south on I-75 where they are building toll lanes. Very narrow and curving 4 lane traffic with construction trucks everywhere.

Carol

Good luck with the traffic. To me the biggest headache is I-85 in Gwinnett County. I did not know they were building toll lanes on 75-south. Probably because I haven't traveled that way in a while.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I've been away to see my mother in NJ and spend a couple of days with my BFF. Trying to catch up, but as you all know, it's difficult.

All was well until I broke down on the Garden State Parkway on my way home yesterday morning. I have never broken down before in all the years I've travelled up and down from MA to NJ and it certainly wasn't an experience I would care to repeat. I decided the prudent thing to do would be to have the car towed to my mechanic in MA since he knows the car so well. I felt a woman from MA getting her car towed in would bring $$ to the eyes of a mechanic. Abandoning the car wasn't an option so I bit the bullet and melted my credit card to have it towed to the mechanic I've trusted for 20 years. It took 45 minutes of phone calls (my phone battery was close to dying and I was unable to charge) just to get someone to tow me off the Parkway (AAA doesn't not have jurisdiction), then to a tow lot, then waiting for AAA and then having to wait for a fresh driver who was not out of driving hours. Five hours and 3 (very nice) drivers later my car and I were finally on our way home, THROUGH GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE RUSH HOUR!!!. My mechanic left me his pickup truck so I would be able to drive the 35 miles home last night (he is in the town that I work in) and then drive back to work this morning. I finally got home after 11 pm, original ETA was 3 pm. Since I hadn't eaten since breakfast, which was just yogurt, my final driver, Donald, stopped at a rest area so I could get something to eat, I ate McDonalds, but the grilled chicken sandwich, fries and a frappe. I figure it wasn't too bad for overall CICO because I had little else to eat and had logged in over 16,000 steps pacing around the tow yard waiting for AAA. I am proud of myself for keeping calm and systematically dealing with a really stressful situation. I may mention that I had 12 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (the big ones) in my bag and never ate a single one.

The visit with my mother was not as bad as I had feared, yes, she had declined dramatically since January, but not as bad as my sister had portrayed. I stopped by the cemetary to see my father's grave, which I have never seen, on the way home. He died when I was 5 months old. I had a pleasant visit with him and let him know that my mothers would be joining him (always good to forwarn someone about an impending roomate I think).

Thank you everyone for your sympathies regarding PB, it was heartwarming and much appreciated. But every good movie has a plot twist....

Chris in MA who needed gloves this morning
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    wow chris what a harrowing experience! I am impressed, i would have hit that chocolate hard and fast!!!! You really handled things well, and thank goodness the car trouble is behind you. Now take some time to relax and recover.
    Karen from ny
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Please take this the right way, Chris, but I was relieved when I figured out it was your CAR that had broken down on the freeway, not YOU. You've been through some trials and tribulations lately, so my first interpretation was that you'd had to pull over and have a good cry. (((((Hugs)))))

/Penny
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Sylvia – How does one girl taking her own BP ‘prove’ you wrong? Stupid; how were you supposed to know if she was telling the truth. I’ve always had my BP taken, without my legs being crossed and being still. Until they put me on BP medicine the lower number would be over 85 most of the time; and, they wanted it to be 75 or less. One day, after picking up my grandchildren, I felt awful, sluggish; so I stopped at the local EMS office and asked if they’d take my BP. When the bottom number was about 50, they would not allow me to leave until I called my MD’s office and let them talk to him. I can’t remember what they did but it started coming up; when it got to 70, they allowed me to go home. I had an appointment the next morning and then it was 90 or 95 … it was ‘spiking up and down’ and that was what was making me so miserable. It’s been 70 – 75 since. I’ve had several EKGs and nothing shows up. Sometimes I have a little pain in my chest; and, MD wrote a Rx for Nitroglycerin for me to have ‘on hand’ and told me to take one 10 minutes apart and if I ended up taking 3 and still had the pressure feeling to call the EMT and his office. That was pretty scary. I broke my 11th rib when having my last seizure (8/13) and sometimes it will spasm. That’s pretty mind-boggling. Sometimes I can take an Alka-Seltzer Melt and the pain I have goes away. I have acid reflux anyway … so that is my ‘turn to’ medicine whenever I have pain that might be indigestion and not a heart attack. If it does not give me instance relief … I take the Nitro. None of my

MDs have not talked about taking me off anything (yet).

I don’t think I would go back to that chiropractor. I’ve only been to one once. Turned and rolled my head to relax me and boom, he ‘cracked’ my neck. Surprised the HELL out of me. Then he started turning my head and told me to relax because the next time, he would warn me. … CRACK! No warning. I had had a really bad ‘crick’ in my neck and could not lift my head or turn it. Boss got me in to see him almost immediately. I haven’t been back; not because of anything he did … I just haven’t gone back to any chiropractor. I would in a heartbeat if I had another ‘crick’ in my neck. I know people that go on a regular basis. One of my HS friend’s father was one. My Daddy would call him the “Bone Crushing Doctor”. They were friends; but, I am not sure that my Daddy ever went to him. I think you are suppose to alternate 'cold' with 'hot' (or I have always been told to do that by my OrthoMD for when I have pain.

Miriam – I agree with the ‘family dynamics’ having an effect on children who have the same parents; but, are raised differently and therefore have ‘different families’. I’ve got 2 older sisters and we are 3 years apart and definitely had different ‘parenting skills’ on us. I think ‘birth order’ has a lot to do with it and also whether each of them get married to first born children, only children, or youngest ones. Oldest sister married the oldest son in his family; middle sister married an only child, I'm the baby and I married an older son - 9 1/2 years older (just like both sets of our parents). Middle sister is divorced; oldest sister has been married 46+ years; I've been married nearly 44.

Some good, some not so good, and some indifferent. Oldest sister is pretty shy (I always thought she was a ‘take charge person’ and in some cases, she is); middle sister feels pulled in just about everything. She’s probably more forgiving and tolerate of others; I think I am the ‘class clown’ … I try to see the good in people; but, I do have a lot of trust issues ‘thanks to the father of a ‘new’ friend, who hung to me like ‘white on rice’. She would ‘lie’ when the truth would suit her best. My mother did not ‘like’ her very much. I had a date with a guy that I dated off and on throughout HS; and, he came to pick me up and this man would not allow me to go. He stood in the doorway. Thankfully, this guy called his bluff and I went on the date … I never went back over to spend the night with her; and, they suddenly moved without any warning or goodbyes. I think he said something to my sister that she did not ‘like’ and told Daddy.

Joyce – I’m glad that someone else prays to God to find things. I do it all the time. Sometime I get so mad or upset that my keys become invisible (or we have a naughty Grinch in the house). I can go back later and they magically appear – right where I had looked for them.

Katiebug – When we lived in Atlanta – I-75 and I-85 were 2 lanes each way. They were still working on I-285; now they are working on another circle it seems … much further out. Down around the Airport was the worst. I lived 6 months with my Mimi (after 3 of my friends and I got evicted – the landlady had not wanted to rent to us; Daddy and one of the other Dad’s signed the lease, none of us were 21. If I did not leave exactly at the right time it would make the difference of making it to school in 30 minutes or sitting in traffic for 2 hours at a crawl. DH lived on Briarwood; I lived on W. Peachtree; and, every time we had a date he took me a different way to his place through Piedmont Park and some other park near there. I told him he was doing this so that I could not ever find him. So much has changed since we lived there … you no longer have to cross over I-75 and I-85 north of GA Tech to continue going north. I think the last time I drove through Atlanta, it was 4 lanes going each way and they were building more. When they widened I-75/I-85 – it moved some things from one side of the expressway to the other. Weird.

Why are the building toll lanes? To pay for all that road work?

Lenora
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Pip~ Sorry about your workout NOT working out..... Some days are like that...when absolutely nothing goes right.....Adapt girly.....Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” -Marilyn Monroe
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Chris~How you explained it proves that you took every roadblock and dealt with them accordingly. So proud of you!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DH and I are working on finishing up our improvements to the watering system and the dog is lobbying for some walk time. We're likely going to take him to the beach at a park about 10 miles down the road and let him run. I won't be running, but I'll be happy to walk on the beach while he runs!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Annr
    Options
    Well I thought about all the time I put in my community garden plot, (plus money) and came to the decision to not have the garden this summer. A couple of reasons. My son will be signing up for the Navy this June, and being our last son, I am anticipating a bunch of little vacations here and there this summer. The last thing I need is to worry about is hurrying home to water plants....I need to tend to the most important thing I have ever grown, my son(s). Also, my middle son shall be back from being out to sea in August. He shall not be a lifer in the Navy, but being an electrician in the Navy, he should fair well in the civilian world.
    Becca

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Options
    Sylvia~What a bunch of cantankerous ladies!! I think chiropractor's think they are better than doctors sometimes. I went once for my back. He took my neck and 'cracked it' without warning me. Of course, I immediately cried out of the shock of it all... got no sympathy whatsoever. Keep searching and find one that puts your comfort first friend... (((hugs)))
    Becca
    Oregon