My trainer says NO BANANAS

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just joined this yesterday lots of people arguing geeze. Just do you and what makes you happy. I don't love bananas I'd eat on the run or in protein shakes sometimes. I have a fixed macros diet starting next week that's why I'm not eating them. Again my overall decision to follow my macros to get to my desired weight and look not my trainers.

Sorry @ericalillykristene . If it helps this a the norm but I think this weekend has been worse than in some time. While I do LCHF (accidentally when trying to manage my joint and muscle pain) the best macro of all and for all is the macro one enjoys and permits them to gain the health objectives that is important to them.

It sounds like your trainer is informed and has your back. As one who wrecked his health on yo yo diets for 40 years it makes me happy to see young people who take ownership of their health and keep moving towards their health objectives.

Best of success working your new macro.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They are a registered dietitian
    Unless your trainer is a Registered Dietitian, they're not qualified to make that decision for you. Bananas are awesome for you--they're filling, have the minerals that your body needs to operate optimally, and have a flavor profile that makes them SO versatile. Eat on!!!

Serah87 wrote: »
    I just joined this yesterday lots of people arguing geeze. Just do you and what makes you happy. I don't love bananas I'd eat on the run or in protein shakes sometimes. I have a fixed macros diet starting next week that's why I'm not eating them. Again my overall decision to follow my macros to get to my desired weight and look not my trainers.

Curious why you started this thread then??

If you don't like bananas don't eat them.
    I THOUGHT I was commenting on another thread. Someone Else posted about bananas I was just adding on to the thread. I just joined yesterday maybe I posted in the wrong spot either way I won't be in this community of negativity anymore.

I'm not sure how you expected everyone to read your mind and know what you intended to do versus what you did do. It's not rude to respond to what was presented versus the unknown that you intended.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You could eat copious amounts of bananas a day with that huge carb allowance!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I love frozen bananas all mashed up, so creamy mmmmmmmm.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I tell you what is bananas.

This place...
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    One medium sized banana is only about 27 Carbs and 15 Sugar? Depending on where you look of course.
    http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/bananas
    Personally to each their own..but cutting out bananas for what..what are you replacing the banana with?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

That nutritional data is based on a cup of mashed bananas. A average banana has about 30 gm of carb.

I forgot to set the amount to 1 medium banana -- 27g carbs, 14g sugar.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ah memories of Saturday morning kids TV.....

Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la
    Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la
    Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la
    Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la

One banana, two banana, three banana, four
    Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more
    Over hill and highway the banana buggies go
    Comin' on to bring you The Banana Splits Show

Makin' up a mess of fun
    Makin' up a mess of fun
    Lots of fun for everyone

Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la
    Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la
    Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la
    Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la

Four banana, three banana, two banana, one
    All bananas playing in the bright warm sun
    Flippin' like a pancake, poppin' like a cork
    Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper an' Snork
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I THOUGHT I was commenting on another thread. Someone Else posted about bananas I was just adding on to the thread. I just joined yesterday maybe I posted in the wrong spot either way I won't be in this community of negativity anymore.

Lighten up -- if you don't want to hear what others have to say don't create a thread called "My trainer says NO BANANAS" in a forum where conflicts of opinion are a daily matter. By posting you're implying you're looking for some kind of feedback.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Here's another take on Dr. Axe:

http://www.overcomeobesity.org/overcome-obesity/research/josh-axe-d-c-spewing-a-bunch-of-nonsense-on-the-dr-oz-show/

Frankly, I'd steer clear of advice from any "expert" who appears on Dr. Oz or Oprah. Or anyone who has to post a photo of his "credentials" on his site to prove he knows what he's talking about.

"Dr" Axe.....another chiroquackter selling detox drinks

OP if you like bananas eat them, they're full of vitamins and minerals and delicious.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's the worst fruit for me too much sugar but I like them otherwise

@ericalillykristene welcome to MFP forums.

I had to cut out bananas in the process of trying to manage my joint and muscle pain without having to start Enbrel injections. I like bananas but to by pass on starting to use Enbrel in my case losing the bananas was a no brainer due to my age and state of health two years ago. At age 65 longevity is more on my mind than making my taste buds happy. :)

Best of success.

I missed where OP stated she has a medical condition that would require her to give them up or why it would be her trainer to give her this advice.

Outside of a medical issue, there is no reason that one can't eat bananas because of the sugar.

draxe.com/banana-nutrition/

Under the side effects heading are facts that people without medical conditions might would like to consider concerning eating bananas or not. Foods options are huge and are only limited by our goals and objectives for health and longevity.

Draxe.com is hardly a reliable medical source.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

I had to cut out bananas in the process of trying to manage my joint and muscle pain without having to start Enbrel injections. I like bananas but to by pass on starting to use Enbrel in my case losing the bananas was a no brainer due to my age and state of health two years ago. At age 65 longevity is more on my mind than making my taste buds happy. :)

Best of success.

I missed where OP stated she has a medical condition that would require her to give them up or why it would be her trainer to give her this advice.

Outside of a medical issue, there is no reason that one can't eat bananas because of the sugar.

Under the side effects heading are facts that people without medical conditions might would like to consider concerning eating bananas or not. Foods options are huge and are only limited by our goals and objectives for health and longevity.

But he'll sell you a detox drink! ;)

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Best of success.

But he'll sell you a detox drink! ;)

It must be made of liquified sugar free Haribo Gummi bears :)
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to drop them just have them post workout
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is a fool.

^^This. Get a new trainer...
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your trainer read one of those "10 foods to avoid" buzzfeed articles.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This threads become fairly hypocritical "do not take advice from a PT as they have no qualification" said the man giving advice on nutrition without any qualifications.

That being said, you are best questioning him. Bananas are a great source of energy why he'd advise you not to eat them is beyond me.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options
    Tenster wrote: »

What effect would this have? I fail to see how eating before or after a workout makes any difference..
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

What effect would this have? I fail to see how eating before or after a workout makes any difference..

Post workout you are far more insulin sensitive. Probably would make the most, nutritionally speaking of the carbs in the banana. I don't know how much of a difference this would make to the average person, but I am sure that's what was implied...
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Post workout you are far more insulin sensitive. Probably would make the most, nutritionally speaking of the carbs in the banana. I don't know how much of a difference this would make to the average person, but I am sure that's what was implied...

It has been said that there was no medical reason for avoiding bananas and that explanation probably veers more toward that. I hope that is what was implied, with a couple separate threads dedicated to meal timings popping up today I just assumed it was another "eat after a workout your metabolism is better" response.