10 week horseback riding challenge

Options

Replies

• Shoebacha1
    Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Yep, we missed most of the ice, too. Lots of rain here, too. I could have gone riding yesterday, but my horse is a muddy mess and I wanted to get some house work done. Had nice clean mopped floors for about 3 hours, and then I let the dogs in. LOL Just blared some music and organized cabinets and shelves and did lots of dusting, vacuuming, sweeping and mopping. I love having a huge house, but it can be a lot of work with 3 dogs, two cats a and a bird. Not to mention we keep the feed and alfalfa cubes in the house...
  • Moshimum01
    Moshimum01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've got an elderly arthritic Irish Draft. Would have him again in a heartbeat. Why can't we buy a new body for them?!
    Will be riding a friend's Welsh cob next month whilst she's away - he's beautiful, but a bit green. At least I'll be able to get out for some good rides.
    Hope you are getting out over the winter!
  • XxBecksxX91
    XxBecksxX91 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in on this! In the UK, I show jump, work full time and have 5(!!) thankfully only 3 ridden and a broodmare and foal. Trying to ride as much as possible (each horse 4-5 times a week), need somewhere to keep me motivated when its dark cold and raining!
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I get out as often as weather allows. I need an indoor arena. Been doing good braving the cold, but I wimp out in the cold and windy days. Which happen to be during the weekend. Ugh. The weekdays have been beautiful, but the weekend gets here and I am in the cold wet or wind. Worth it though. This past weekend is the first time I didnt ride at all in a while. Will be out of town on a business trip this coming weekend, but off and home some weekdays, going to try to not only ride, but haul to a trail somewhere.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Going to get at least a short ride in today. I fly out tomorrow and won't be back til we'd night. Gonna miss all my babies!
  • lkirchner82
    lkirchner82 Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I fell off the horse today- and I sincerely wish I meant that figuratively. I see a hot bath and some Tylenol in my near future!
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Falling sucks! Hope it was a short horse. LOL Feel better and get back on!
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Got an excellent 90 minute ride in today. We explored the cattle lease and hung out with cows for a bit
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    My poor Avalanche is sore today. Went to feed this morning and the usual aggressive and fast eater was a slow walk to the bowl and slow large bites. Will check on him when I get home. If he still seems off I will give him some pain releif.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Avalanche is feeling back to normal, but me....holy crap! My legs are still recovering.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Hope the weather improves for the weekend. Would be so nice if it was like it was yesterday. 70 and sunny with light winds. I hate I had to be at work.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Got a ride in on my old man. On Saturday, my husband jumped on him bareback with just a halter. BAD IDEA. They ran circles around the house until my husband fell off. So, on Sunday, I rode him with a saddle and bit. For a 26 year old, he is spunky. He got 2 minor bucks in, and then on the third he went to put his head down and bronc me! Ok old man with rice crispy joints, how about you snap crackle and pop your head out of your *kitten* and act like you know how to be good? I was so mad. Laughed the first two times, but that third pissed me off. He is TOO BIG and TOO OLD to be acting like that. We have some major work to do. I will be focusing on him for a while.
  • lkirchner82
    Options
    Could it be a pain reaction? You are right, most old ponies aren't going to waste energy on those shenanigans unless they are avoiding.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    lv9axnixmafx.jpg
    Is it cheating if I ride at work?
  • lkirchner82
    Options
    Question for you all - I want a western saddle for trail riding and I found this one on Craigslist for a good price. It looked great until I asked her to send a picture of the underside. Can the torn leather be replaced? Or is it not even worth it? Thanks a bunch! (I don't know much about western saddles, obviously.)
    b2bpgf15kdd6.jpg
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I wouldnt bother with it. Too much of a risk in my opinion.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Did a 5 hour ride Saturday. My husband actually got to go, and he rode Sky, who has been on rest for an injury. Both did great and no sign of injury! YAY! Did not ride the old guy Quincy. My knee is hurt and it was wet and slick out. Maybe next week.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Could it be a pain reaction? You are right, most old ponies aren't going to waste energy on those shenanigans unless they are avoiding.

I really think it is just that he is eating 6 scoops of senior grain, a pound of rice bran, and two buckets of alfalfa cubes a day. He is just hot. He is spooking at everything.
  • lkirchner82
    Options
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »

I really think it is just that he is eating 6 scoops of senior grain, a pound of rice bran, and two buckets of alfalfa cubes a day. He is just hot. He is spooking at everything.

Ah, that's right, the fun puzzle of keeping weight on the old folks without them getting goofy!
    And that's what I figured about the saddle- I am normally pretty paranoid about my horses, so sometimes I just need to check to ensure my paranoia is justified. :)
    It has been beautiful here and I've been on the rescue pony several times (after recovering from a bruised/broken tailbone - me, not him!)
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    We took the boys out to Prague Lake on Wednesday for a 3 hour ride. Their trails are beautiful and perfectly marked. Such a peaceful perfect day. My favorite day with my husband so far. Both horses were perfect gentlemen. Hoping to ride the old guy this Sunday. My knee is feeling much better.