Do I look Jewish?

Options

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Jewish for me is more of a religious or cultural affinity than simply an ethnicity, same with Arab.

I agree, eres un bombon.

You're incorrect. Youre confusing ethnicity and religion. We are talking about ethnicity here when answering if he looks like a Jew.

To be a Jew you got to be born by a Jew mother, it's not simply about religion. My best friend is Jew and he's married to a not Jew, therefore his kids are not Jews. He feels really bad about this and some stupid people even make fun of him that such a great Jew has goy kids.

And Arabs are deinately not about religion. Arabs can be Muslims, Christians and Jewish too.
    Nope you're the one whose confused. Jew or Jewish is a person whose religion is Judaism, it doesn't matter if you practice it or not. I'm baptized Christian and while I believe in God but I don't believe in some of the man-made doctrines of my church so I don't practice it that much but that doesn't make me any less of a Christian. Just like Muslims and Christians, you simply can't look like Jewish. There are White Jews, Black Jews, Latino Jews, Asian Jews, Arab Jews.

Ethnicity on the other hand refers to your ethnic background relating to the culture of the country of your origin for example French, English, Spanish, Japanese, Italian etc. Latino and Arab are considered ethnicities because they share a common language or cultural practices.

I know about Arabs independent of religion which is why I said its either religious or cultural affinity. I met some Christian Arabs too. However Arab is not an ethnicity.

What the OP meant is if he "look Jewish" which in this case is there is no such thing as looking Jewish.

No, hon, you ARE confused. Youre mixing up ethnicity, nationality and religion.

There is ethnicity of Jews and there's religion Judaism. There are people who follow Judaism even though they're not Jews by ethnicity. And nationality (passport and country) of those Jews or those who follow Judaism can be anything - Israili, American, Mexican, or anything.

The same with anyone.
    A person can be Arab by ethnicity, Christian by religion and Lebanese by nationality.
    Or a person can be Italian by ethnicity, American by nationality and catholic by religion.

The topic starter was asking if he has looks of a Jew by ethnicity. That's why he explain his background - he's ethnicity is mixed Spanish, French, Basque. We don't know his nationality - can be Mexican, American or French, why not? His religion is unknown too (so far I didn't see).
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    Jewish for me is more of a religious or cultural affinity than simply an ethnicity, same with Arab.

I agree, eres un bombon.

You're incorrect. Youre confusing ethnicity and religion. We are talking about ethnicity here when answering if he looks like a Jew.

To be a Jew you got to be born by a Jew mother, it's not simply about religion. My best friend is Jew and he's married to a not Jew, therefore his kids are not Jews. He feels really bad about this and some stupid people even make fun of him that such a great Jew has goy kids.

And Arabs are deinately not about religion. Arabs can be Muslims, Christians and Jewish too.
    Nope you're the one whose confused. Jew or Jewish is a person whose religion is Judaism, it doesn't matter if you practice it or not. I'm baptized Christian and while I believe in God but I don't believe in some of the man-made doctrines of my church so I don't practice it that much but that doesn't make me any less of a Christian. Just like Muslims and Christians, you simply can't look like Jewish. There are White Jews, Black Jews, Latino Jews, Asian Jews, Arab Jews.

Ethnicity on the other hand refers to your ethnic background relating to the culture of the country of your origin for example French, English, Spanish, Japanese, Italian etc. Latino and Arab are considered ethnicities because they share a common language or cultural practices.

I know about Arabs independent of religion which is why I said its either religious or cultural affinity. I met some Christian Arabs too. However Arab is not an ethnicity.

What the OP meant is if he "look Jewish" which in this case is there is no such thing as looking Jewish.

There is ethnicity of Jews and there's religion Judaism. There are people who follow Judaism even though they're not Jews by ethnicity. And nationality (passport and country) of those Jews or those who follow Judaism can be anything - Israili, American, Mexican, or anything.

The same with anyone.
    A person can be Arab by ethnicity, Christian by religion and Lebanese by nationality.
    Or a person can be Italian by ethnicity, American by nationality and catholic by religion.

The topic starter was asking if he has looks of a Jew by ethnicity. That's why he explain his background - he's ethnicity is mixed Spanish, French, Basque. We don't know his nationality - can be Mexican, American or French, why not? His religion is unknown too (so far I didn't see).

Mexican and an atheist =)

And maybe people got confused with what I meant with "looking jewish" Jewish as in Jew from Jordan/Israel [I think GoGlam gets it, but several people didn't]
  • RodSuarez
    Options

Cashew! Love it. OP, I think you look Druish myself.

i was hoping there'd be a Spaceballs reference in here.

spaceballs-3.gif

what is Druish? I googled it and only found those spaceballs.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    The Jews, also known as the Children of Israel (Hebrew: בני ישראל Bnei Israel) or the Jewish people, are an ethnoreligious group, originating from the Israelites (Hebrews) of the Ancient Near East.

ethnoreligious = both ethnic and religious.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    So I've been told several times either on the "Guess the Ethnicity of the person above you" or in the "Celebrity Look-a-like" that I look Jewish.

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

I'm not Jewish, but am not complaining either looking Jewish is more useful to get on Broadway than looking "Mexican".

I'm Spanish + French/Basque Mix, born in Mexico.

You said your Spanish + French both areas known to have a mix of ethnicities historicly before most others did. Living in Texas we have a great variation of Hispanics. A lot of the Mexicans have dark skin, where some of their heritage can be linked to the mayans or the african moors who conquered Spain for 800 years. And than their are Hispanics blond hair blue eyes that ancestors can from northern Spain which Viking had controlled from time to time. You never know what else you might find even in the last 200 years if you look. Your family history might hold a great history lesson you can one day teach your kids.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    So I've been told several times either on the "Guess the Ethnicity of the person above you" or in the "Celebrity Look-a-like" that I look Jewish.

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

I'm not Jewish, but am not complaining either looking Jewish is more useful to get on Broadway than looking "Mexican".

I'm Spanish + French/Basque Mix, born in Mexico.

You said your Spanish + French both areas known to have a mix of ethnicities historicly before most others did. Living in Texas we have a great variation of Hispanics. A lot of the Mexicans have dark skin, where some of their heritage can be linked to the mayans or the african moors who conquered Spain for 800 years. And than their are Hispanics blond hair blue eyes that ancestors can from northern Spain which Viking had controlled from time to time. You never know what else you might find even in the last 200 years if you look. Your family history might hold a great history lesson you can one day teach your kids.

Well fun facts:

One of my aunts is "black" [one of my mother's sisters], my grandfather was dark skinned and green eyed - his parents were a Basque / Spanish and a Moor / Spanish, my grand mother white as milk with really dark hair [Spanish father, french mother] (though plenty of blondes in her family). Her Great Grandmother was accused of Vampirism/Witchcraft.
    My mother is blonde and has green eyes.
    My father's family fair skinned, plenty of people with hazel eyes, black hair, not so interesting.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Hon, I look like a Jew too :) I also look Italian, Spanish, Arab and Turkish. And of course I look like Romaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol. Meaning a gypsy

So that's ok, I don't mind to be accepted in all countries.

When I used to live in Michigan, people sometimes thought I was Mexican but I guess that's because I look foreign and they know only Mexico.

I agree, eres un bombon.

The same with anyone.

Mexican and an atheist =)

And maybe people got confused with what I meant with "looking jewish" Jewish as in Jew from Jordan/Israel [I think GoGlam gets it, but several people didn't]
  • jpeoples1177
    jpeoples1177 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just keep the beard...Ben Affleck isn't Jewish, he's New English!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    You just look like a white guy.
    This made me ROFLMAO!!!

I had never been around Jewish people until I joined a gym close to my work and it is the Jewish community center. I would say the OP looks a lot like a typical Jewish person however I am sort of confused. I thought Jewish was a religion? I thought you could be German Jew or Russian Jew or Israeli Jew...but the Jew part just meant your religion but your ethnicity was the German/Russian/Israeli part of you. If being Jewish is not just a religion but an ethnicity...then where do Jewish people trace their lines back to (what country originally?). I am asking because I don't know. Now I will probably go Google this LOL!!!

I am american Indian and German (came from the bad Germans...if the community center knew this I am sure I would be shunned!)
  • YaGigi
    Options

You know that you look like Fares Karem, a Lebanese singer? :P
  • jpeoples1177
    jpeoples1177 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

You know that you look like Fares Karem, a Lebanese singer? :P

It must be my lazy eye...I was sleepy lol
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    This made me ROFLMAO!!!

I had never been around Jewish people until I joined a gym close to my work and it is the Jewish community center. I would say the OP looks a lot like a typical Jewish person however I am sort of confused. I thought Jewish was a religion? I thought you could be German Jew or Russian Jew or Israeli Jew...but the Jew part just meant your religion but your ethnicity was the German/Russian/Israeli part of you. If being Jewish is not just a religion but an ethnicity...then where do Jewish people trace their lines back to (what country originally?). I am asking because I don't know. Now I will probably go Google this LOL!!!

I am american Indian and German (came from the bad Germans...if the community center knew this I am sure I would be shunned!)
    Israel / Jordan
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This made me ROFLMAO!!!

Israel / Jordan
    Yes, Jews as a nation/ethnicity go back to the Middle East. Centuries of persecution and slavery and all that jazz dove them to spread out across the world, essentially.

There are people who converted to the religion whose ancestry does not go back to those roots. However, the ones whose lineage goes back that far do tend to share genetic traits in looks, genetic abnormalities and many other things.

I know a lot of people in this thread are offended by that, but it's true. I look at the Jewish side of my family -- including the people who are NOT blood-related, but married in, pluse many Jews I've met over the years who aren't any kind of family and more often than not. there is a resemblance, just like Italians tend to resemble each other, or British people or Russians or whatever.

My Jewish ancestry came to the US from Russia, Germany, Austria and Hungary, so Eastern Europe basically.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    Ok I did some research.

My grandfather, on my mother's side, was the grand son of a Jew (who converted to Catholicism) on his mother side.

And his mother was Spanish / Moor.

So I am Latino (Spanish, French, Basque) + Black (Moor) + Jewish, this sounds fun.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You look a little like Jerry Seinfeld to me. Maybe that's where the Jewish thing comes from. But I didn't really know Jewish had a look.

I'm strictly basing that on your profile pic.

It can be a sensitive subject, one which I as a non-Jew don't feel comfortable broaching, but there usually is a set of characteristics that people associate with a particular group. The film "Europa Europa," which is based on a true story, is about a young Jewish man who's able to avoid being sent a concentration camp because he does not "look Jewish." In fact, he looks so "Aryan" he's able to get into an elite Nazi military training academy. His family is sent to the camps because they look like Jews. At the end of the film, I believe he's about to be shot by the Russians as a German prisoner of war except that a fellow Jew or a family member identifies him as Jewish.

"A Jewish boy, separated from his family in the early days of WWII, poses as a German orphan and is thereafter taken into the heart of the Nazi world as a 'war hero' and eventually made a Hitler Youth. Although improbabilities and happenstance are cornerstones of the film, it is based upon a true story."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099776/

The book "Memoirs of an Anti-Semite" by Gregor von Rezzori has a scene in which a young Jewish woman is living in a city and hiding in plain sight from the Germans. One day, a group of soldiers surround her and put her on a picnic table. She's afraid they're going arrest or assault her, but they start praising her as a model of "Aryan" beauty. Her life is saved because to the Germans she does not look Jewish. This book is styled as "an autobiography in the form of a memoir," so it was inspired by a real event.

Description of Memoirs of an Anti-Semite
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/484274.Memoirs_of_an_Anti_Semite

This is not to say that everyone in a group looks a particular way, just that there are some traits that might make a person look like typically Ashkenazi Jewish, or typically Sepphardic, etc.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I find this a little asinine. My mother's side of the family are immigrants from Russia who happen to be Jewish. So tell me, do I look Jewish? Does my pale skin, green eyes, and blond hair look Jewish to you? Cause technically I am. What does Jewish look like?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

To be a Jew you got to be born by a Jew mother, it's not simply about religion.

I believe that in Reform Judaism you are Jewish if you have a Jewish father and consider yourself a Jew.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Does my pale skin, green eyes, and blond hair look Jewish to you?

My great-grandfather was a Russian Jew. I have pale skin, green eyes and strawberry blond hair (though it looks darker because it's curly).
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    This made me ROFLMAO!!!

Israel / Jordan
    Yes, Jews as a nation/ethnicity go back to the Middle East. Centuries of persecution and slavery and all that jazz dove them to spread out across the world, essentially.

There are people who converted to the religion whose ancestry does not go back to those roots. However, the ones whose lineage goes back that far do tend to share genetic traits in looks, genetic abnormalities and many other things.

I know a lot of people in this thread are offended by that, but it's true. I look at the Jewish side of my family -- including the people who are NOT blood-related, but married in, pluse many Jews I've met over the years who aren't any kind of family and more often than not. there is a resemblance, just like Italians tend to resemble each other, or British people or Russians or whatever.

My Jewish ancestry came to the US from Russia, Germany, Austria and Hungary, so Eastern Europe basically.

Thank you!

I don't know why people have to feel offended by the facts.

I'm short, fat, with black hair, people always ask me if I'm hispanic!?!? LOL! I laugh and say American Indian...same difference. LOL!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I've also been asked in real life, if I am:

Greek
    Brasilian
    French or Spanish (which I am in part)
    Jew
    Puerto Rican
    Scottish
    Russian (really? I am a bit too tan to be Russian).

And my German teacher said I could pass as German from a certain region (can't remember the name).

If I were going by looks alone, you have a strong resemblance to a male friend of mine who is Basque via Cuba I lived and worked in Manhattan and among my friends and colleagues you really couldn't guess one's ethnicity by either their physical appearance (except for those falling into various racial categories and even then some who were bi-racial sometimes identified themselves by their ethnic group rather than race). Many Puerto Ricans I know have light hair and eyes (the island once belonged to the Dutch), Jews are from all over the world. Some identify themselves as Jews no matter where they originated from, and some identify themselves as "Cuban Jews," or Sephardic(sp)?)Jews, or Ashkanaizi (sp?) Jews.