WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    karenleona wrote: »
    Hi. Karen from British Columbia. Hope i can join this discussion. Not sure what it is going to take for me to get my *hite together and lose weight for good. Working 12 hours shift work does not help. Nor does my depression. Off to work now for another crazy day in emergency

Welcome, take one day at a time, baby steps. You can do this. Start with logging food on here every day. That will give you a picture of caloric intake and where problem ares hide. Glad you're here, it's a terrific starting place.

Janetr okc
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Saffron - Would a Quest protein bar be any good? I like the cinnamon roll ones, which are 170 calories and very filling. I buy 12 at a time from Amazon. I always have one in my handbag for emergencies as I can't skip meals, or even eat late, without getting the knee trembles. (Hypo)

Here are my tulips in memory of Kate. I'm posting them for anyone who has ever lost anyone, especially a child.

g5dbdaou0d0q.jpg

My DSIL brought some plants for us so we have been putting them in pots and trying to find a space in the garden. All done now. :D

Salmon and asparagus tonight.

Heather UK
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all. I hope you are all well after the storms last night.

My BD/mother's day weekend was pretty nice. Friday we went to a baseball game, we have the AAA farm club for the Kansas City Royals here and they have a great new stadium so that was fun. Saturday we had a cookout with the DDs , the BF, and grandbaby who is still not talking. So when they came in the tension was obvious, but it turns out not only had DD#1 and the BF been fighting, but she had hubby had been fighting all week over my birthday and mothers day. She refused to have anything to do with my on mothers day (not even a text) because "it is my day too and I'm doing what I want". Turns out this had been going on all week. She refused to tell me she wasn't coming on Mothers day telling dh "My plans are none of her business".

She also said she no longer wanted to be invited to any family functions because we put too much pressure on her to be on time. So there is nothing we can include her in unless it's "stop by if you want to" but even then we can't say "between 2 and 6" because then she will feel pressure to be on time in that time frame.

So I am totally befuddled with this.

Mothers day we were going out to brunch but I decided I didn't want to go so DD#1 made fabulous omelets at home, I read the paper, took a nap, and planted some plants. We also went to the cemetery to see my mom. I totally enjoyed that day except I never heard a thing from DD#1.

OK enough bitching. I hope all of you had a delightful weekend. I need to run to get my A1C done which will be sky high with all my back issues, steroids, limited mobility, etc. Bleh!

You all have a great day. Take care, meg from omaha
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I pushed the limits of my knees. Today I must take it easy, the knees have the controls for today.

Something I discovered yesterday on myfitnesspal reports - supplements make a difference - they need to be logged also. I thought since they had no calories they had no impact. Well I discovered logging my calicum suppliment completely changed the numbers in the calicum report. Instead of always being under the min., adding the suppliment entry put me above the min. which is a good thing. It's not news for the old hands on this site, but was a suprise to this newbie. Thought I would share it with the other newbies!

Charleen in Colorado (Taking it Easy Today)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

I was all set to ride in to work but at the last minute, I flaked out. still not over this poopy feeling, i'll ride home if the weather is still nice, supposed to be about 75, yesterday, I ate early and went up to bed and watched tv there, Kirby and the kids went up with me. Kirby has been my nurse, drowning me w/vitamin c, headache pills, sore throat stuff. I'm cold here at work. I have never liked air conditioners. I have a sweater on and a quilt over my lap, all I need are gloves and ear muffs.

later peeps
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I was lucky with my pregnancies and both went well other than morning sickness but my mom had several miscarriages, and so has my daughter. She's pregnant now, and we're praying for an easy pregnancy and healthy baby. I'm sorry about your DH's family troubles. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Sending good thoughts for Jake. I hope his surgery is a total success. DH has had three back surgeries & they've each been a blessing for him. Waiting for the surgery has always been the worst part of the experience for him. I hope Jake's experience is also a blessing. :heart:

Kim: Mother's Day with your mom sounds wonderful. Crab salad is so good! Congratulations on the work and improved cash flow. :bigsmile:

Chris in MA: "Love to all of you, I have really big news to share when I get a few more minutes." I can hardly wait to hear the news. Now I'll be stopping by even more often to look for your post. :grumble: :wink:

SaffronMeadow: I like half a cup of 2% cottage cheese, a handful of blueberries & coffee for breakfast. The calories are low and it gives me sustained energy. Everyone is different. I hope you find a breakfast that starts your day well. :flowerforyou:

Karen form BC: Welcome to a great group! I hope we will see you often. I had great success here by letting MFP set my calorie goals. I started off with a good number of calories and they were reduced as my weight dropped. Progress was not fast, but it was steady. I lost the weight slowly, over a period of a couple of years and am still here daily to make sure I maintain my good habits. Several of us are here to maintain our healthier lifestyles. I hope you'll be in that group in the future, too. :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

DD and the babies are here. We got home in the wee hours of the morning and I'm the only one awake at this point. Thankfully, the sea lions did not bark last night and the sleep I got was uninterrupted & appreciated. DGD lost a favorite mermaid doll on the flight. It was a gift from me. I remember exactly where we got it, & plan to go there and let her choose a replacement in the next day or two. I hope they still have the dolls! The place is a seafood restaurant at the beach and we'll be having a meal there soon!

Newbies: I included my May Resolutions this morning. This list of 5 things has transformed my life. I hope you will be able to create a list of resolutions that do the same thing for yours.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who've offered support -- Peach, Lagopus, Stephanie, Charleen, Grits, Trying, and especially Miriam. I made it through Day #1 and lost a pound!

The Food Diary on this site is really helpful. After completing my entry for the day, I realized that the eight ounces of orange juice I had in the morning contained a walloping 26 carbs and 23 grams of sugar! Any suggestions for a quick but healthy breakfast that I can have before dashing out the door for work?

Thanks again, ladies... your support means more than you could know.
    Breakfast suggestion...I have a whole wheat english muffin with 1/2 tbls. natural peanut butter for breakfast every morning, along with coffee. It holds me until lunch and I just love peanut butter. I found that the more protein I had with my meals the more satisfied I was and less likely to snack. Drink alot of water.
    1 lb gone...great job!
    Chris in MA

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Bridget, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Come often and join right in.

Anne, I think a mundane life is wonderful. I have a few friends with so much drama in their lives that they can’t possible enjoy living. We can always do things to make our lives less boring, if we want, but I for one just enjoy it this way.

Miriam, what a wonderful gift from your new daughter!!!

Joyce, what an all-around wonderful day you had. I’m so happy that Charlie got a gift that you really liked. I sure wish you could figure out how to post those pictures. Way to go, beautiful lady! (((Hugs))) (Later) So glad you were able to post the picture and how great you all look!!! And what beautiful jewelry!! Wow. I’m so glad he got something you like rather than a style he likes.

Charlene, how nice that you have inherited a new son or two. And how sweet that he got you a gift for Mother’s Day. That is a great kind of friend to have. Can you post a picture of your water fall? I’d love to see it.
    MicheleNC, I saw the KFC nail polish talked about on GMA yesterday. I wonder if they disclose the calorie content? tongue-out-smiley-emoticon.gif
    KJ, congrats on your loss! If I lost 3 pounds in a week I’d be turning flips. I did when I first began this journey but not any longer. Keep up the great work.

Saffron, it sounds like you need to come up with a plan and try to stick to it. Just remember to start with Baby Steps. Every little thing you do to improve your situation will make you feel better. Good luck.

Katla, have a marvelous time with your DD and grands.

Glo, thanks for the morning giggle when you said, “I love technology but can’t set the clock in my car”. That sounds like a few other people I know. snickering.gif

Heather, what a great picture. And my favorite part was that food on the table!!! Yum yum. Oh and the greyhounds are beauties! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a black one.

Pip, glad the soap did the trick for you. Others on here have said it works for them. Does any brand work?

Joyce, so glad the jaw is getting better and you were able to eat the sandwich. Keep up the healing.

CarolNC, what a cool lighthouse out of the pots!!!

Karen BC, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come often.

Meg, was that your DD that doesn’t want to share mother’s day with her own mother? OMG Talk about selfish. And doesn’t want to have to be on time so would rather not be invited to family functions? I just don’t know what to think??? I’m glad you had a nice day and got to do what you wanted. ((((Hugs))))

Pip, I hope you are feeling better soon!!!

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It sounds like many of you had lovely Mother’s Day. Glad to hear it. I’m still working on the back door from the house into the garage. Every day I put another thin coat of the spray on Appliance paint. I think we will do the same on the new security door from the garage to the yard. Our Lab just licks the doors like crazy sometimes and that is how the one door got rusted. I mean that girl licked all the paint right off the door and got the metal to rust! Grrrr I just don’t want to have to go through this ordeal again. And she has already been licking the new security door and I sure don’t want it to rust. No matter how great our dogs are, there is always something. shaking-head-smiley-emoticon.gif I have a seminar for the HOA this afternoon with a reception following. These are usually very good and always learn something.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. relaxing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    How does soap under the sheet help the leg pain??
    Happy mother's day belated to all of you.
    DJ and Katla, your posts are always inspirational.

Linda in Calif.
    Trying to get back to logging, exercising and finding my mojo!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    damnit - yes any brand works

normally I don't have the cramps but now that I'm running longer distances (training for the marathon) in addition to the every day biking and other exercise poop I do, the cramps come. I read up on why it works... there is a theory that some molecule in the makings of the soap that does it. they say when you feel that it's not working any longer, to shave the outer layer of the soap and it will "reactivate" it to work again.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Saffron Meadow, I usually have some Barbara's High Fiber cereal for breakfast, or else oatmeal. That keeps me going for a while. And I love the OJ, but decided to cut it down to 4 oz. from 8 and I have been doing that for about a year. Miriam is right about the Xanax, but for short term or infrequent use it works wonders. Please hang in there..

Michele, I dug up dandelions on Mother's Day--is that exciting enough for you?

Heather I am so sad to hear about your baby. I think it is very meaningful that you had the tulips. My mother never forgot my brother who died in the 1930s after one hour of life.

Emotions have been all over the map the past couple of days--trying to come to grips with all kinds of things.
    Let's just say motherhood never ends...

Betty

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    DJ, I am not sure that it is good for your lab to be licking paint even if it isn't lead based. Have you tried spraying hot sauce on it?
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    As always ... when I am in a 'talkative mood' ... you can 'skip over' if your name is not highlighted. I know that some of your probably see my name and the length of my post and go 'oh $#*T - Lenora is back'! :o:#

Joyce, Indiana – I was brought up to say, ‘please’, ‘thank you’, and ‘yes or no’ ‘m’ham/sir to anybody ‘older’ than I was. Treating people (in general) showing that I have ‘good manners’ (not necessarily with ‘respect’, if they did not deserve it); and, my Mother made sure that not only did we follow her rules (she was the ‘disciplinarian’ of our house); we followed the rules of those parents’ of our friends, too … they (and we knew that) also had the ‘right’ to ‘discipline’ us (while at their homes) and ‘if we acted out’. We’d get reprimanded and taken home, and things were going to be ‘worse’ when we got home – insofar as ‘punishment’, etc. My boys were brought up the same way and most of their ‘friends’, too. We ‘knew’ their parents, if not; we got to ‘know’ them. Things are so different now-a-days … this ‘generation’ … NOT ALL OF THEM seem to have the ‘it’s all about me’ mentality; and ‘life is NOT all about any one person’. It’s BAD when parents, grandparents are afraid of their children or grandchildren – because of their ‘life-styles’. My sons still tell us they ‘love us’ and ‘mean it’ and hug and kiss us as well. I’ve never been afraid of either of our sons (or our grandchildren). But, I know first-hand how it must feel for others (who are). <3o:)

I do the same … I also let the people he/she is ‘letting in’ come in; and, then I ‘go out’ (even ‘if’ it is the wrong door). You’re right about the ‘unwritten’ rule about ‘going in the right door; and coming out the other. That is why restaurants have 2 doors … so there won’t be ‘any collisions’ between the waiters going ‘in’ and the waiters coming ‘out’. Swinging doors! Automatic doors … working the wrong side … I know what you mean. I am always standing at the ‘wrong’ door at my OB’s office (coming into the waiting room) … they just have one side that slides open. It is one of those that ‘opens’ when you walk over a sensor! They’ve even started ‘locking’ the doors that come in and out of the back waiting rooms. They all use the same ‘big’ check-in/out waiting room/area; and, have their ‘individual’ office waiting room.

Becca – I agree with you – having doors opened for me, chairs pulled out and pushed in, just knowing and having it shown by my DH and/or DS – makes me ‘proud’ of them. <3

Thanks, pip, I will have to ‘try that’. Sorry that you have been feeling so bad! :(

Charleen – Our DYS was 36 when his “Right One” came along; and “it hit him like a ‘ton of bricks’ (like I had told him it would) … when the ‘right one’ came along … so don’t ‘give up’ on her – whether or not – she ever brings home someone she wants to spend the rest of her life with … just accept her choice and be happy for her.

My DYS tells his brother’s girls ‘… don’t ever believe a ‘boy’ (this is/was when the girls are/were teenagers) when they tell you “I love you” …; ‘most times their really have an alternative motive’ … ‘protect you @$$-sets’. Stay in school, stay in school, go to college, finish school, get a job, support yourself, THEN you’ll be able to NOT depend on someone to ‘take care of you’ … you will be able to ‘get out’ if you ever need to. He gave our DOGD this ‘speech’ right in ‘front of us’ … even saying that ‘he had given us enough “grief” when he was in HS’. LOL!
    He never really ever gave us any ‘grief’ … he had more respect for us than to do that. He was a ‘handful’ (but he still knew where he stayed) and ‘if’ he had really given us ‘grief’ … we would have ‘put out of the house until he “got right” and he knew it’. They both did. They had a ‘very’ strict ‘curfew’. Thankfully, neither got ‘involved’ with ‘drugs’. Drinking was about as bad as it got. I finally ‘drilled’ it into their heads to ‘stay put’ and NOT drive and drink and not get in the car with someone who was. >:):#:sB)

DYS went to a college football game with 3 of his friends; and, one was supposed to be the DD; when he started drinking … DYS would NOT get back into the truck to come home. Boy got ‘stopped’ (I guess I should say ‘man’ … just ‘acting like a boy’) … he wasn’t in the truck. They took all in the truck to ‘jail’; and ‘impounded’ the truck. DYS called one of his bosses to come ‘pick him up’. The guy’s wife got ‘so mad at him because her husband got arrested’ and DYS had not. He sat on the side of the road until (I ‘think’ he was his ‘prior’ boss actually) came and took him home. He told the guy, ‘go ahead and “be stupid”; but, “I’m NOT going to be a part of it.” :#:/

See 'newbies' ... - We really ‘do’ talk about anything and/or ‘vent’ to one another. You’ve come to a very ‘supportive group of ladies’. Glad you have ‘joined’ us! <3

Anne – Ankle put in a black lace-up support; now I am having to learn how to ‘walk with it’ … back to the ‘limping’ again; but, was told … it would get better. I know a sprain can hurt worse than a break … my concern was whether or not the pins that had been put in my ankle and heel (same ankle) had been jolted ‘out of place’. MD is going to get the films before I got back to see him in 2 weeks. I’m sure if he sees something that maybe the ER MD had not seen, he will refer me to my OrthoMD. I did have to take a pain pill last night to get to sleep; but, I think my headache was brought on by ‘stress’ more than anything. Talked to DH about it and when I ‘got it off my chest’ to him; was able to fall asleep. Issue involved my BF and ‘how to deal’ with something I am ‘watching her go through that I don’t have any (real) right to say anything to her about it’. Just need to ‘think’ before I ‘go and shoot off my mouth’ to her about it. She just needs a whole LOT of prayers! :/:'(:*:|:#B)

Heather – I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my first ‘pregnancy’ at 5 months, due to a complication (rare) … Hyditidaformole pregnancy … but; OB/GYN researched the symptoms I was ‘presenting’ because he did not want to perform a total hysterectomy on a 24-year-old, with no children, if possible. I <3 the man … I now have 2 grown sons and 3 biological granddaughters; and, I am thankful for this man because of it. He is the type of MD that you either ‘ o:) ’ or you ‘ >:) ' him… no gray. He told me a few years ago; that he had only had one other patient that he diagnosed with the same problem. 1:2000 pregnancies; whereas naturally conceived ‘twins’ occur 1:89. Now that they have all the ‘fancy’ equipment … they can diagnose it earlier; but, still … hasn’t had but 2 since mine. It was a ‘horrible’ experience. A HS friend of mine was telling me about her DnL’s 2nd pregnancy and symptoms. I told her about mine; she told me later that ‘it was exactly’ what they eventually diagnosed her with, after she asked her OB/GYN about it. Had another HS ‘friend’ who had gone through the same thing. I guess, they did not know what was going on with her; they did perform a hysterectomy on her. That broke up her marriage because her husband had always wanted a ‘large family’; he remarried and had 8 children. It really ‘tore her up’. It was ‘hard on me’ until I gave birth to a 'living' child. Both pregnancies afterwards - I was a 'cat on a hot tin roof' :# . I’ll never understand why others ‘think’ you want to ‘hold their baby’ after you have just lost yours. I certainly did not. :'( But, I think it is ‘important’ that a couple ‘be allowed to hold their stillborn child – if they want to’ (or any child). I think it gives them closure, and they need it to deal with it. I know when my Daddy died; my mother sat in his hospital room ‘to be with him’. The nurses had been trying to keep her ‘out of the room’ because she had gotten to the hospital after ‘waking up from a nap and having the ‘urge’ to go see him’. She already ‘knew’ he was ‘gone’. They were trying to get him 'cleaned up' and all the 'stuff' he was attached to removed before calling her. She got her way, too.

Meg from Omaha – It’s difficult sometimes to be totally befuddled with all the ‘drama’ about family gatherings. We always have “Thanksgiving” here at our house; sometimes I invite my DDnL#1’s mother over … sometimes they have 2 Thanksgiving meals during the weekend. Sometimes DDnL#1’s mother has to ‘work’. She is ‘always’ welcome to come. DYS (and now his wife and ‘daughter’) come from LA (sons and DDnL#2 also hunt over the weekend as well). We invite DOGD’s boyfriend over … sometimes he comes, sometimes he doesn’t. Last year he did come because he had to go back to work. He’s always welcome. Just move over and bring up a chair … DOGD makes our ‘dressing’ … it’s sooooooo good! I’d be ‘lost’ about dressing if she didn’t come. I think her ‘recipe’ is about the same as the one my DMS uses; and, I do have the recipe … just easier for her to make it and cook it and then DDnL#1 makes the ‘sides’. I cook the turkey and ham. Feast all weekend long.

Lenora
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Husband admitted that if I had a fractured knee cap, that he wouldn't be as patient as I am with him... lol His way of saying thank you. Appointment on 13th can not come any quicker! He is getting squirrel-ly in the apartment here!! He hasn't left since last Tuesday....and every so often I go...so that is saying something.
    Beautiful day here, will take a walk and lay in the sun.
    Be well all, and eat healthy like you always do!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Leona.....I LOVE your posts and your talkativeness and you high-lighted my name. Sometimes I feel like my stresses are pretty low-key compared to some. Issues are issues I suppose, and the point is how we deal with them. So can I mail my whiny-husband to any of you???....just for a week... hahaha!!!!. Every morning he asks, "So what is on our agenda today?" I have to create an agenda....hmmm?? But all joking aside, he has been pretty good.

Becca
    caretaker extraordinaire
    in Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    mikesmom - I am so seriously happy for you right now, I was smiling from ear to ear as I was reading your novel of a post. but I am VERY pissed that you didn't update me sooner! are you insane???!!!! I need to be kept in the know you know!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Chris - :drinker: <3:flowerforyou: So happy for you that life is looking up.

Heather UK
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Yeah Chris!
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    mikesmom - I am so seriously happy for you right now, I was smiling from ear to ear as I was reading your novel of a post. but I am VERY pissed that you didn't update me sooner! are you insane???!!!! I need to be kept in the know you know!

I know you'll forgive me Pip! You have to admit, it made for a good story when presented all at once. I promise to keep you updated. We are closing out our online dating accounts. Yes Nikki, (you asked about online dating) it can work. As Heather, who met her DH online said, you have to kiss alot of frogs and be patient. This was match.com

Chris in MA who just enjoyed a walk in the sunshine