• nukephysics
    nukephysics Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm married and a flirt with both men and women. Sorry not sorry! lol

how you doin'? bwahahaha.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @Lonestar5775 ! It took a while to figure out a strategy and not react. I found I had to remove my emotions and approach it from a place of love. I often had to picture him as a cute two-year-old to remind myself he was that person underneath the beast before me.

@Cutaway_Collar Congratulations! That's exciting. Your lives will never be the same. Wishing her a healthy journey!

My husband has a tendency to hurl insults also when he loses his temper. I know he doesn't mean the things he says, but it's annoying because I can see he is just trying to win or justify something he wants/has done. He's lucky; I had three older brothers, so everything just rolls off me. He's more sensitive; I have to be careful with my words or they could have a more lasting effect. He's taught me patience more so than our son lol
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun

My wife is seven weeks pregnant. Actually I feel terrible for tormenting her at this time. Bad part is that my mother is visiting and all of this happened before her eyes.

I can say hormones but my wife has always had anger issues. I have anger issues too. But I just hurl hurtful sentences and she breaks things. Two days out of 10 she can be batshit crazy. She has anxiety and is on meds and during this pregnancy she has been off the meds.... a lot of things are at play and my mom is visiting for 3 weeks which is long.

Last night we all had dinner and watched tv. Fight is over but I am still bummed but I feel pretty good right now. We have had worse fights... That tie cutting was the worst. She is an angry girl. You don't wanna piss her off but it has not put any structural faults in my marriage. Sometimes we fight like animals but we always come back together.

Also, you only hear my side of the story.... :)

On the pregnancy, it has been our best kept secret. We had too many miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy which was rough. We have been married 3 years and so much has happened. Too many tragedies, lot of fights but the ship still is sailing pretty good.

Pregnancy is physically very challenging plus hormones and stress. And having family visit while going through it.

Congratulations! Sorry for the previous challenges.

Having kids adds stress. It's also an important reason to get the fighting under control.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy!
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I 'snapped' on the hubs. I instantly felt bad right as I did it, but it only exacerbated my rage -- as I was then angry at myself and wanted to cry for having yelled at him -- but I kept yelling because at this point it's too late to halt your anger mid-screaming-point and you don't want to admit defeat in the midst of that rage, so you keep going and screaming 'valid' points to substantiate why he deserved to be raged at to begin with.

After all of that, he was just very calm and catering. I knew then he was a keeper and I since have learned to stop yelling or 'snapping'.

That's awesome that you altered your behavior going forward in spite of knowing your husband would not react negatively. That's a sure sign of maturity when someone wants to change themselves rather than others.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    Gareth6484 wrote: »
    Hey, Married from England. How is everyone doing on the fitness side of things? Meeting your goals?

Married here, too! One of those long, Hollywood back-story kind of things! :) First started dating when I was 15 & he was 16(almost 30 years ago, gulp!), so a lot of history!
    I made goal (weight wise) about 1 year ago. Continue to work on fitness goals. MFP keeps me accountable & motivated!

@jenibethbu , You rock, lady! My son started similarly, scaring me half to death! She was my little Sunday school student, still fairly fresh to the U.S., about age 12 (maybe younger), when he "got eyes" for her. He is a year older. They looked a bit at others over time but always returned to each other then stayed together from about ages 15/16. I hoped they would still wait to marry, then they married at about 21/22. Would it last?? Yes! They are still married after 18 years. (Some of my numbers may be off.) And they are such a delight to watch! So in love! I am so grateful! They have three children.

I am thankful for you and your attitude, example, and life!
  • RainaProske
    Options
    @Lonestar5715 --
    You are so encouraging and insightful! Thank you so much for what you write.
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    @Lonestar5715 --
    You are so encouraging and insightful! Thank you so much for what you write.

Thank you Raina for the kind words. I enjoy the thread and all that people are willing to share about such a personal subject. I think it is possible to learn from other's experience and to gain encouragement knowing others struggle and persevere through hard times too.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I 'snapped' on the hubs. I instantly felt bad right as I did it, but it only exacerbated my rage -- as I was then angry at myself and wanted to cry for having yelled at him -- but I kept yelling because at this point it's too late to halt your anger mid-screaming-point and you don't want to admit defeat in the midst of that rage, so you keep going and screaming 'valid' points to substantiate why he deserved to be raged at to begin with.

After all of that, he was just very calm and catering. I knew then he was a keeper and I since have learned to stop yelling or 'snapping'.

Ha, this is a very accurate description. It's great that you found someone who brought out your best!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Love and trust go hand in hand in my book. how can you love someone you can't trust? BUT Longevity is am matter of forgiveness... YOU have to be able to put "it" behind you and move on, otherwise "it" piles up until the distance between each other is too great to bridge. Trust, is about being able to speak your mind, knowing that you won't be judged, that what you say or what you hear is coming from a place of caring. After all you didn't become involved with this person to have someone convenient and at hand to run down when you are in a *kitten* mood...or did you? or did they? Love... is about being there... supportive, not saying I told you so... but give it another try... or lets try something else... Love is NOT giving in or giving up... it's seeing her or him every day and marveling at how comforting it is to wake up to that person...

I have been married for more than 17 years... not every day is filled with love or trust, or even forgiveness... BUT the good days outweigh the bad... and in the end I trust her with everything that I am and have... We're both human... at the end of the day... we forgive each other for that fault.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    Still married. Even after Vegas.

Suffice to say, that place is much better left off to young deviant punks.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

That's awesome that you altered your behavior going forward in spite of knowing your husband would not react negatively. That's a sure sign of maturity when someone wants to change themselves rather than others.

Thanks! I guess I was always used to people just yelling back, but when they don't reciprocate that anger, it really brings to light how erratic you're being for no logical reason. He's definitely made me a better person, as I him, as it should be.
  • DarleneReid577
    DarleneReid577 Posts: 4,401 Member
    Options
    My husband says very hurtful things when he gets angry, and a lot of the time he doesn't remember what insults he has hurled at everyone. In the beginning of relationship it used to upset me but we went for counseling and I have learnt to tell him what an a-hole he was and what he said that was hurtful (of course after the rant ). And during his rant I usually just walk away and don't take anything personally, he has learnt to apologize
  • RainaProske
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Okay. My husband and I have two verbal fights throughout our marriage. Arguments and disagreements, plenty! We actually enjoy those, but verbal fights: two.

So the last time we had one, it happened to be the very day I'd received these in the mail: dental mouth openers. So I asked him to wait a moment, then ran to my bathroom, and put one in my mouth, then came out and started arguing loudly with him. He laughed and laughed. So did I. It relieved the tension, of course, and we finished our strong argument afterward.

I have a progressive illness that I am told will tend to make me moody and depressed. I don't want that to be between us, so I bought these things to use in the future, and loved it when I already had an opportunity to use one. Humor works, but, of course, it doesn't totally diffuse a problem; problems still need to be worked out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/party-game-dental-mouth-openers_uk_57347657e4b01359f686995d
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. When I was younger, and we had a new baby, and he was very stressed finishing his PhD... things got tense a few times. So, instead of yelling, I would sing. So, it wouldn't be disruptive to our baby. It also made him laugh (if I sang in funny voices). And made him happy, so he wouldn't be feeling mad. And I would sing what I was feeling upset or frustrated about and then he could hear me and understand from a happy place without anger getting in the way. And it really worked.
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Married here too. Probably most people are married on here. Just a bunch don't act like they are. Not looking. Probably breaks all your hearts.
    haha-shut-up.gif
  • robocopnic
    robocopnic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do you know how it feels when you want to buy a cool plate off the crate and barrell sale rack and eat rice off of it and your wife disallows it.

"We should buy a whole place setting. Or else you are ruining my kitchen"

Double U Tee Eff :'(

Lol

Your wife is a saint to put up with you!!! My husband is famous for using the "good towels" when I'm out of town.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    up_pixar_movie_image_01.jpg