Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    We have been married for 147 years.

..... I do the math in dog years

Dog years....funny man...lmfao
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Married 6 yrs. 3 kids under 5. He's a SAHD and I'm an ICU nurse.

@supernurse_84 Sounds like a busy home AND workplace for you. I am curious how the SAHD situation is working for you all? Are all your children the same gender? I know a family with two boys and the father being home has been fantastic for them. I was just wondering if you could share some more of your experience with the Dad at home scenario. Thanks!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    See, thats what attracted me to my hubby - he made me laugh.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    RainaProske, thats brilliant!!!
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Met July 1982. Engaged in August 1982 - our parents freaked out! Waited to get married until July 1985. Had first daughter in 1987 and then adopted 3 more kids after that, the most recent one adopted last year. Secrets to our 31 years: 1. DO NOT fight over money. Ever. (whether we had any or not. We are on the same team man) 2. Laugh our arses off about stuff that we really should not laugh about, like cancer diagnosis (we laughed) 3. Lots of great you-know-what

@thenananator Wow, what a great formula for a long and healthy relationship. Kudos to you both for adopting children! I wish you many more years of happiness and grandchildren.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I brought up arguing above, mentioning humor. My husband and I have only had one fight, meaning we both got angry and actually went to bed angry. All that over what I thought of a stupid movie I went to with him, reluctantly.

But debates and arguments? We have plenty. Yesterday, I argued that I had put two appointments on the calendar; he said I had not. Of course, I knew I was right. I got the calendar to show him, and I was WRONG!

But re debates, they saved us!

We were both brought up in the same cult, and when I got strong enough to leave it, I did, while he continued to attend for awhile. We debated the cult, the Bible, etc., and it was an excellent chance for both of us to verbalize what we were thinking, to hear and consider the other's point of view, and to see their proofs. Although we have been away from the cult, we continue our debates occasionally. I love the debates, and I think he does, too.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    I met DW 3 July 1966, I had just graduated HS and she was sweet sixteen. We are going back to hometown in Iowa this week for my 50 year HS reunion. She was pleasantly plump by 1960s Iowa standards then, Now she is 5' and 103#, I am positive I have the FITTEST 66yo wife. I was 180 pounds in HS, now at 236 AFTER losing 140 pounds since Jan 2013.
    Married 47 years!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options

Ha ha G1

That puts me at 329 YEARS!!!

• DarleneReid577
    DarleneReid577 Posts: 4,401 Member
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

Ha ha G1

That puts me at 329 YEARS!!!

Wow does that mean 7 present on anniversary. One for every wonderful year your spouse provided you.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    Keeping the tension down is key. The other night my wife was actually wrong for once and I yelled really loud in a Mortal Kombat voice "You Lose!"..... Then she tried to change what she said and ended up being more wrong. Fatality!

Still trying to master this. We fight like there's no tomorrow and we are both very very stubborn. I'm not always sure if that's what brought us together but it makes some days harder than the others. These days the turnaround is much quicker, but sometimes I wish we could forego the whole ordeal. Sigh.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I can't even imagine having people like that in my life. I would tell them to *kitten* off. Would they take comfort in that? Edit to add: If they are an *kitten* to people, they aren't a good friend. Cut them loose. They are holding you back from better friendships.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Can mfp stop sullying kittens please? Kittens aren't swears!!!! They are kittens. Stop pavlov's dog destroying sweet kittens for me. Enough innocent things were destroyed for me as a child. Haha...lol...
  • JukeboxHeroine
    JukeboxHeroine Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @lonestar
    I have one boy and two girls. It's worked out ok. He feels useless letting his wife work while he stays home but agrees it's best for our kids. I don't harp at him about dinner on the table and a clean house because I know if roles were reversed it would tick me off. He is planning to have chicken houses built soon so he will work from home and I work stop working to be a SAHM once they are paid for. So far so good. We make it work.
  • swilson1001
    swilson1001 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! :*

Anyone have any anniversaries coming up? I met my hubs August 13, 2010 and we were married Sept. 13th, 2013; so, I demand two gifts. :D ....kidding....kinda.

September 3 :) We gave up on doing anything terribly exciting once kids came along (we used to go away for the weekend) and his company keeps sending him to Canada over that week :p But I'm grateful for every year we get to be together no matter how we celebrate the occasion.

Mine was August 5th. Met at 14. Together at 15. Married at 18. 5 years married.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    Keeping the tension down is key. The other night my wife was actually wrong for once and I yelled really loud in a Mortal Kombat voice "You Lose!"..... Then she tried to change what she said and ended up being more wrong. Fatality!

Hahah I love the MK reference.

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine having people like that in my life. I would tell them to *kitten* off. Would they take comfort in that? Edit to add: If they are an *kitten* to people, they aren't a good friend. Cut them loose. They are holding you back from better friendships.

Yes, exactly. I gave her the benefit of the doubt for far too long. It was rough.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Yes, exactly. I gave her the benefit of the doubt for far too long. It was rough.

Yeah, you were being a sweet friend. Glad it ended. ♥