Is There Anything That Doesn't Taste Good Anymore?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have noticed at McDonalds when I fill my coffee cup with water and ice when I leave the taste of Orange can be very noticeable just from what little was left on the water dispenser because it is the same source for filling Orange Sodas. Most often on the first taste off foods it is not hard to detect artificial sweeteners and sugars.
  • ipandicorn
    ipandicorn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sadly....ice cream :(
    Way too sweet for me now
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    ipandicorn wrote: »
    Sadly....ice cream :(
    Way too sweet for me now
    Blue Bell ice cream doesn't taste as good to me now. Aside from the rare Ben and Jerry's pint and Marble Slab cone, that used to be the only ice cream I would eat. Even when I was in the middle of a binging cycle, I thought the pint of cookies of cream I picked up tasted mediocre.

I think that's more MFP getting me to try new brands more than anything else.

• ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Soda its so freaking bubbly it upsets my tummy. And the sweetness is over powering. I havent eaten a sugar cereal in months. Certain things arent worth it to me. Just recently (my go too splurge food is chili cheese fries) i ate chili cheese fries and i wasnt happy about it at all. Now i crave veggies and fresh foods. But i figure its normal changing my body so changing my tastes.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    There are restaurants I used to love when I was younger (teenager, early 20ies) - like applebees, olive garden, red lobster, Perkins, etc. But then as I got older and was able to afford slightly nicer restaurants and groceries to cook better dishes those places have lost their appeal. I enjoy olive garden's salad, but their actual Italian food kinda stinks.

I still love red robin though! So maybe not so mature after all - lol

If you can't appreciate boneless wings and mozzarella sticks from Applebee's, chicken and shrimp carbonara from Olive Garden and shrimp scampi (not to mention cheddar bay biscuits) from red lobster...I'm calling body snatchers.

What planet are you from and why did you come here?? Are you after the recipe for our Oreo cream?? Who is your leader?? Talk!!
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There are restaurants I used to love when I was younger (teenager, early 20ies) - like applebees, olive garden, red lobster, Perkins, etc. But then as I got older and was able to afford slightly nicer restaurants and groceries to cook better dishes those places have lost their appeal. I enjoy olive garden's salad, but their actual Italian food kinda stinks.

Applebee's! Can't think of a worse place to waste calories. The 600 and under menu isn't bad (although I haven't been recently because the options don't appeal to me anymore) but heck even before losing weight I found that the food was just not good...

You don't even like Oreos so your opinion on food is invalid.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I have noticed at McDonalds when I fill my coffee cup with water and ice when I leave the taste of Orange can be very noticeable just from what little was left on the water dispenser because it is the same source for filling Orange Sodas. Most often on the first taste off foods it is not hard to detect artificial sweeteners and sugars.

The high priest of sadness can hear the laughter of a child from a mile away. He can smell the scent of a smile as it travels on the breeze.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Definitely highly processed foods. All I taste now is the massive amounts of sugar and salt loaded in them. Or they are weirdly bitter.

I still wonder why some plain vanilla ice cream needs red food coloring in it. When I make it at home with whole food ingredients it comes out the proper color without having to add food coloring. Makes me wonder what this stuff in stores looks like before they tweak it - exactly what color was it that red had to be used to get it looking like vanilla?

Ever go awhile without eating a reeses cup? They are soooo salty. Still ok cuz it's peanut but wow do they taste different when I've avoided eating the more processed foods.

There are a lot of things I had already stopped eating because of reactions to additives.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I'm not a food snob, at all. But it had been a couple of years since I had eaten McDonald's burgers and fries. I had both this last weekend, and they were not good. Bland, boring yuckiness that totally wasn't worth the calories. Even my 12-year-old agreed.

Burger King whoops McD's backside. So does Wendy's.

Believe me, @Carlos_421, if I'd have been in a bigger town that had a BK, I totally would have gone there instead.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Wagon wheels but they are so different now than when I was a kid (that wasn't yesterday)

Wagon Wheel Hamburger Helper was my favorite growing up. I don't think they make it anymore. If I could find that, and Butter Brickle ice cream, I would have the perfect nostalgic meal.

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Fried foods for me are no longer a go to: I can taste the oil now and they usually leave me with some sort of stomach discomfort later...Pass.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I think there is a huge difference between something not tasting good and not being worth the calories.

There are lots of foods that I think are really good, but right now I don't want to fit into my daily calorie goal. Doesn't mean those foods taste bad.

So much this.

There are plenty of foods that I used to eat, that today, with an understanding of what I can fit into my day, that I would choose not to eat. That doesn't mean they taste bad, just that they taste like they aren't worth the calories.

There are some foods though that don't taste as good as they used to but I think that is because either the formulation has changed (McDonalds fries) or my palate has changed as an adult - has nothing to do with my weight loss and change in my diet - because I didn't cut anything out!

I also agree that I probably enjoy food MORE now that I've lost weight because I savor it rather than mindlessly eating.
  • 737jac737
    737jac737 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Twinkies
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Never had poutine. I will keep the restaurant in mind should I travel out that way.

Poutine with really good fries and gravy and curds is good. Fast food poutine not so much

When my wife and I went to Montreal a couple of years ago, I had poutine for the first time. It was from some place in the port - so it was, essentially, fast food poutine. It was sad.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Ever go awhile without eating a reeses cup? They are soooo salty. Still ok cuz it's peanut but wow do they taste different when I've avoided eating the more processed foods.

The saltiness is the best part. Especially evident in the holiday versions.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There really isn't anything that doesn't taste good 'anymore' but there are things I won't waste my calories on. I am much more selective when I am out and about and need a snack. No more fast food because it makes me feel like crap and isn't worth the calorie hit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

If you can't appreciate boneless wings and mozzarella sticks from Applebee's, chicken and shrimp carbonara from Olive Garden and shrimp scampi (not to mention cheddar bay biscuits) from red lobster...I'm calling body snatchers.

What planet are you from and why did you come here?? Are you after the recipe for our Oreo cream?? Who is your leader?? Talk!!
    Francl27 wrote: »

Applebee's! Can't think of a worse place to waste calories. The 600 and under menu isn't bad (although I haven't been recently because the options don't appeal to me anymore) but heck even before losing weight I found that the food was just not good...

You don't even like Oreos so your opinion on food is invalid.

I love Oreos (just not the mint ones because I don't like mint). You must confuse me with someone else :p

But no, I tried the Applebee's boneless wings and I found them very disappointing (that was 4 years ago, maybe they're better now?). Same with their ribs and fries.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wish brownies and crisps didn't appeal to me anymore, sadly they still do lol

The only difference I've noticed in my 5 years in this lifestyle change is that I now appreciate good espresso with milk from a cafe. I think that may have more to do with tastes changing as I get older though. When I was a teenager working at Starbucks I would pretty much pour the vanilla syrup into my cup...
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Processed food doesn't taste so good anymore. Plus sugar and salt; I'm satisfied with less quantities of both. B)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Most processed foods. For example, Noodle Packets (like Rice o Roni and such), boxed potatoes, canned soups, frozen dinners, etc. I still think Kraft Mac and Cheese is the bomb though (only eat it on rare occasions).
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My experience has been the more highly-processed and/or "fortified" a food is, the worse it tastes.

I've also lost my sweet tooth.