Is There Anything That Doesn't Taste Good Anymore?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oddly, diet soda. I don't have a huge sweet tooth so regular soda was always too sweet for me and I drank diet. Not often, but when I did, always diet. Now I can't stand the taste. It tastes like death to me. When I drink soda, which is maaaaybe once a month, I now drink regular, but I have to split a can of it with someone and sip on it. Way too sweet to drink like water.
    I guess artificial sweeteners in general taste like death to me. Can't eat many types of protein bars/powders because of that.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Never had poutine. I will keep the restaurant in mind should I travel out that way.

Poutine with really good fries and gravy and curds is good. Fast food poutine not so much
    I've been in Quebec for 10 years and am only just starting to like poutine. The new restaurant down the road makes an amazing selection.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    As the title says, is there anything that just doesn't taste good to you anymore that used to? I used to be big on sugary cereals but I just cannot stand the sweetness of most of them anymore. Like Captain Crunch, Fruit Loops, etc.

I also don't enjoy overly salty food either. KFC's fries come to mind.

I eat everything I want but just don't eat the bad choices that often. I don't want fast food like I used to, Mexican food or red meat. All of those were fattening foods for me because I would overeat on them all when I had them and when I eat them I no longer overdo it and just don't want them very often at all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    All processed food tastes bad? I'm quite happy that my pasta dishes (with homemade sauce) and cottage cheese and fancy European cheeses (and American varieties like Maytag blue and many local options) and smoked salmon, and pepperoncini in the jar and pickles from the green market and of course coffee all taste just fine to me. Would be a bummer if losing weight robbed me of the ability to appreciate those, as well as all restaurant food (lots of really good restaurants in my town).
  • edixon127
    edixon127 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Any sweetened drinks. I used to be a big soda drinker and since quitting even juices and teas that I used to like taste too sweet. I had to dilute a bottled green tea that I bought with lunch the other day. It was a very strange moment for me.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Nope, I still love the taste of everything I ate before. My taste buds didn't suddenly become discerning and self-righteous just because I lost weight. I wish that brownies and salty fries tasted like doo-doo to me, but they don't, so I just eat them in moderation instead.

I don't think any of us who have listed foods or drinks that just simply don't taste as good to us as they used to are at all being self-righteous. If you note, most of what people have listed are highly processed boxed foods, fast food, and regular soda. For me personally, I had no idea my tastes would change as my diet changed. Not the case for everyone, which is fine. Not being self-righteous, either.

You would know this how, exactly?

And I beg to differ. Take a moment and read any number of the 'clean' eating threads on this board - the majority of the posts fairly ooze self-righteousness. If you're not of that limited mindset, you're miles ahead, then, and well done! :)

You choose to perceive it that way. I don't nor do I read those threads anymore because I don't subscribe to the "clean" eating philosophy nor do I care to debate anyone on its merits or validity. To each their own.

I'm not of that limited mindset, so thank you.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    There are restaurants I used to love when I was younger (teenager, early 20ies) - like applebees, olive garden, red lobster, Perkins, etc. But then as I got older and was able to afford slightly nicer restaurants and groceries to cook better dishes those places have lost their appeal. I enjoy olive garden's salad, but their actual Italian food kinda stinks.

I still love red robin though! So maybe not so mature after all - lol

If you can't appreciate boneless wings and mozzarella sticks from Applebee's, chicken and shrimp carbonara from Olive Garden and shrimp scampi (not to mention cheddar bay biscuits) from red lobster...I'm calling body snatchers.

What planet are you from and why did you come here?? Are you after the recipe for our Oreo cream?? Who is your leader?? Talk!!
    Francl27 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    There are restaurants I used to love when I was younger (teenager, early 20ies) - like applebees, olive garden, red lobster, Perkins, etc. But then as I got older and was able to afford slightly nicer restaurants and groceries to cook better dishes those places have lost their appeal. I enjoy olive garden's salad, but their actual Italian food kinda stinks.

I still love red robin though! So maybe not so mature after all - lol

Applebee's! Can't think of a worse place to waste calories. The 600 and under menu isn't bad (although I haven't been recently because the options don't appeal to me anymore) but heck even before losing weight I found that the food was just not good...

You don't even like Oreos so your opinion on food is invalid.

I love Oreos (just not the mint ones because I don't like mint). You must confuse me with someone else :p

But no, I tried the Applebee's boneless wings and I found them very disappointing (that was 4 years ago, maybe they're better now?). Same with their ribs and fries.

I apologize. I must have translated your preference for nasty butter cookies into a dislike of Oreos.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Nope, I still love the taste of everything I ate before. My taste buds didn't suddenly become discerning and self-righteous just because I lost weight. I wish that brownies and salty fries tasted like doo-doo to me, but they don't, so I just eat them in moderation instead.

I don't think any of us who have listed foods or drinks that just simply don't taste as good to us as they used to are at all being self-righteous. If you note, most of what people have listed are highly processed boxed foods, fast food, and regular soda. For me personally, I had no idea my tastes would change as my diet changed. Not the case for everyone, which is fine. Not being self-righteous, either.

You would know this how, exactly?

And I beg to differ. Take a moment and read any number of the 'clean' eating threads on this board - the majority of the posts fairly ooze self-righteousness. If you're not of that limited mindset, you're miles ahead, then, and well done! :)

You choose to perceive it that way. I don't nor do I read those threads anymore because I don't subscribe to the "clean" eating philosophy nor do I care to debate anyone on its merits or validity. To each their own.

I'm not of that limited mindset, so thank you.

So we all agree??

original.gif?1409297982
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    For me it's more things that used to be 'ok' have now moved to not good enough anymore because the taste is too blah for the calories. Like bagels from bagel chains or cheap ice cream. No desire to eat stuff like that anymore.
    (I have never been able to stomach sugar cereal or soda anyways so it doesn't surprise me that this goes away)

That. and like another post mentioned. I take my time and enjoy it now where before I used to just shovel it in and not really even pay attention to what it tasted like.
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Processed foods, especially those with a lot of sugar. On the other hand, I have a newfound love for really dark chocolate(think 90%).it will satisfy my sweet tooth and I can't eat more than a square or two at a time.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I still really like processed foods like cottage cheese and smoked salmon and kimchi.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There are numerous foods I used to like but don't anymore, including sugary cereals as mentioned in the OP. Most fast food, Vienna sausages, potted meat, frozen lasagna, frozen diet meals (Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, etc.), almost any boxed, frozen or canned meals.

Once I started gardening and using fresh whole ingredients to make my meals all that overly salted pre-prepared stuff doesn't taste good anymore.

Edit: Soda would be another. I used to drink Pepsi like it was going out of style. It just tastes cloying sweet like syrup now.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    god i love captain crunch.. which apparently has NEVER BEEN CALLED CAPTAIN CRUNCH. blows my mind haha.

It's funny because I haven't had CC in a long time and when I tasted it, it was way too sweet for me.

Also, this post was meant to talk about how your taste buds have changed after changing your diet, not about being self-righteous or saying that you enjoy everything in moderation or cutting out foods that aren't worth the calorie count or whatever. That wasn't the point.

Some foods, I haven't had in a while so they taste different to me now because I am not used to eat them as much as I did before. So store bought cereals taste overly sweet to me now when they did not used to. Same with fried foods, some fried foods feel overly greasy to me because I am not used to eating a ton of fat in one meal. Sometimes I even get stomach aches from too much fat :(
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Not taste; but Taco Bell did not sit well with me yesterday. Felt VERY heavy.
    ...that's what I get for forgetting my food.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    There are numerous foods I used to like but don't anymore, including sugary cereals as mentioned in the OP. Most fast food, Vienna sausages, potted meat, frozen lasagna, frozen diet meals (Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, etc.), almost any boxed, frozen or canned meals.

Once I started gardening and using fresh whole ingredients to make my meals all that overly salted pre-prepared stuff doesn't taste good anymore.

Edit: Soda would be another. I used to drink Pepsi like it was going out of style. It just tastes cloying sweet like syrup now.

I think palates definitely can change. I used to love Pepsi as a teenager, and Dr. Pepper. After switching to diet (also in my late teens) I found, really quickly that I couldn't stand regular -- it tasted syrupy. And even the diet versions of those soon tasted bad to me (on the other hand, I still enjoy an occasional diet Coke, who knows why, probably just because I drink it sometimes).

Foods that are sweeter than one is used to or saltier tend to taste bad to many people. Salt in particular is one where you can get used to things being more or less salty (there's apparently lots of research on this).

I liked fast food as a kid and just stopped liking it in my 20s at some point, not sure why. Probably just related to changing diet and palate, no longer seeing it as a special occasion fun thing. On the other hand, I HATED spicy food as a kid and liked primarily pretty bland stuff (not uncommon, I believe). That also started changing in my teens and now I love spicy food and have a much more adventurous approach to food in general.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    the only thing i can really think of is pop and mcdonalds

processed junk still tastes good to me, not everyday all day but hell yea i can down a box of junk "kiddy" cereal in a day no problem and love it