Marilyn Monroe-my body ideal

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    22 inch waist is tiny! Don't know how it would've stayed 22-23 inches when she weighed 140lbs... I'm 126lb with 35-27-35 measurements! Not saying she would be exactly the same!

Her figure is admirable but unattainable for most. I'm lucky to have an hourglass but would love a smaller waist!
    I think her waist was 22 inches at her smallest. I'm sure it got bigger proportionally as she gained weight. That's what happens to me. I keep the same difference in measurements (12 inches), but everything gets equally bigger or smaller.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I'm my ideal not some long dead tragic movie star or some model on the victoria secret runway. I'm ideal because the only body I'll ever have is my own. Love it or hate it thats all I got. Weight loss may redefine, but even surgical intervention wont change it that much. Others are attracted to my body because I'm attracted to my body.

<3 this. I agree.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Not to offend, but when I think "extreme hourglass" your shape is not what I think of. Not saying your are overweight or anything along those lines, but it's just not what image my mind conjures.
    My waist is 12 inches smaller than my bust and hips, which are the same size. That is the definition of an extreme hourglass (more than a 10-inch difference). It has nothing whatsoever to do with weight or size.

A 200-pound woman could be an extreme hourglass by body type, as can a 90-pound woman.

QFT... A lot of people can't even envision an extreme hourglass unless her measurements are under (or above) an imaginary line. I think it says something about the way some people "see" proportion.
    I also think some people are insecure and look for reasons to insult others, even if they have to ignore certain facts to do it. I'm assuming that was the actual intent behind the post to which I was responding.
    :laugh: yes I am very insecure and jealous of you.
    Perhaps people comment the things they do because it is what they actually think. You do not look like an "Extreme hourglass" to me. Sorry. It's my opinion and I don't see why it's seen as an insult? When I think of an hourglass, I think of some one with a slim waist, nice chest and hips and I didn't see that really by looking at your pictures. So if I'm wrong in your opinion so be it. You are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. No need to get fussy.

If you have to start something with "not to offend, but...." then you know it's meant to be an insult and are probably better off keeping your "opinion" to yourself.

It would be like me saying "sorry to offend, but your hair's a little over-processed and ages you." Saying that wouldn't be nice, and I'm sure you would feel insulted. Even if it is my opinion, I'd keep it to myself.

I stand by my opinion. Have a nice day. :flowerforyou:

Oh, look! Another bitter woman on MFP with jealousy issues and a bad attitude. Lovely. :flowerforyou:
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what size she was, how tragic her life was, or how unattainable her curves may be for most...I think we can all agree that she was stunningly beautiful! :smile:

tumblr_ma6paiw1HP1qada1vo1_500.jpg
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Are you ladies still arguing about this??
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Yes just tell us we are all beautiful and look exactly like Marilyn then we will all be reassured and adequately complimented and can go back to our regularly scheduled life.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

Yes just tell us we are all beautiful and look exactly like Marilyn then we will all be reassured and adequately complimented and can go back to our regularly scheduled life.

Done.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh, look! Another bitter woman on MFP with jealousy issues and a bad attitude. Lovely.

I never did say she was jealous of me. That's the interesting part of this exchange, I think.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Not to offend, but when I think "extreme hourglass" your shape is not what I think of. Not saying your are overweight or anything along those lines, but it's just not what image my mind conjures.
    My waist is 12 inches smaller than my bust and hips, which are the same size. That is the definition of an extreme hourglass (more than a 10-inch difference). It has nothing whatsoever to do with weight or size.

A 200-pound woman could be an extreme hourglass by body type, as can a 90-pound woman.

QFT... A lot of people can't even envision an extreme hourglass unless her measurements are under (or above) an imaginary line. I think it says something about the way some people "see" proportion.
    I also think some people are insecure and look for reasons to insult others, even if they have to ignore certain facts to do it. I'm assuming that was the actual intent behind the post to which I was responding.
    :laugh: yes I am very insecure and jealous of you.
    Perhaps people comment the things they do because it is what they actually think. You do not look like an "Extreme hourglass" to me. Sorry. It's my opinion and I don't see why it's seen as an insult? When I think of an hourglass, I think of some one with a slim waist, nice chest and hips and I didn't see that really by looking at your pictures. So if I'm wrong in your opinion so be it. You are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. No need to get fussy.

If you have to start something with "not to offend, but...." then you know it's meant to be an insult and are probably better off keeping your "opinion" to yourself.

It would be like me saying "sorry to offend, but your hair's a little over-processed and ages you." Saying that wouldn't be nice, and I'm sure you would feel insulted. Even if it is my opinion, I'd keep it to myself.

I stand by my opinion. Have a nice day. :flowerforyou:

Oh, look! Another bitter woman on MFP with jealousy issues and a bad attitude. Lovely. :flowerforyou:
    :yawn:
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The pinups of the 40s and 50s are my inspiration and my personal body ideal. I love Marilyn. My natural body type is an hourglass so pinups provide a good goal for me!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Lmao.

I also had a fat girl in my class who always kept talking about her hourglass figure, her Barbie looks and her cheerleader body type. And that men are crazy in love with her and women are crazy jealous.

Everyone was like :huh: She had soft shapeless jellish body 200 pounds at least.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Perfect, IMHO!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I wish they made clothes in a variety of "cuts" - like curvy (aka hourglass) and for more boyish figures. I find everything seems to be somewhere in between - which is aggravating! (Don't get me onto trying to get jeans to fit round the waist AND hips!) I did see a sports top once available in a "curvy" and "athletic" cut, but it was not in my size:huh:
    I buy midrise. They're high up enough so the crack doesn't show, but they sit at the waist, so you don't have to worry about fitting waist and hips.

Don't some brands offer a "curvy" jean, though, that's for the pear/hourglass shape? I haven't tried any.

Gap has a curvy jean. It does help with the gap but Gap now adds too much stretch so at the end of the day they end up too big all over. Levi's has something too. I believe it takes your measurements and finds you the right fit. Obviously I have not tried this, yet.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I wish they made clothes in a variety of "cuts" - like curvy (aka hourglass) and for more boyish figures. I find everything seems to be somewhere in between - which is aggravating! (Don't get me onto trying to get jeans to fit round the waist AND hips!) I did see a sports top once available in a "curvy" and "athletic" cut, but it was not in my size:huh:
    I buy midrise. They're high up enough so the crack doesn't show, but they sit at the waist, so you don't have to worry about fitting waist and hips.

Don't some brands offer a "curvy" jean, though, that's for the pear/hourglass shape? I haven't tried any.

Gap has a curvy jean. It does help with the gap but Gap now adds too much stretch so at the end of the day they end up too big all over. Levi's has something too. I believe it takes your measurements and finds you the right fit. Obviously I have not tried this, yet.

lucky brand has a curvier cut to some of their jeans, and the loft carries a curvy girl jean.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    She's several months pregnant in that photo.

But, yes, she was beautiful. And would have been a size 2-4 in today's sizes. Not a 12 or 14 or 16 that people claim.

Well she was actually a size 6-8 in today's sizes...She was 140 lbs and 5'5.5"

that could easily be a size 4.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't see big difference between size 2 and 10 though! Lol

There's not. That's the point. They were all taken the same day. Sizing is crazy. You can't say, "Marilyn was a size 6" or 2, or 12, or anything, because there's no set standard anymore.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a Betty Page fan myself, but they were all beautiful!
  • rml_16
    Options

I have pretty good luck with Victoria's Secret and Old Navy, though I haven't bought a pair of jeans in a while. I have everything from size 4-12 right now and don't need new ones. I don't wear them much anymore. Too hot here.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Looove Marilyn! A true real woman!

as opposed to all those fake women? note: sarcasm
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I'm my ideal not some long dead tragic movie star or some model on the victoria secret runway. I'm ideal because the only body I'll ever have is my own. Love it or hate it thats all I got. Weight loss may redefine, but even surgical intervention wont change it that much. Others are attracted to my body because I'm attracted to my body.

I'm with you. While I think Marilyn Monroe was gorgeous, no doubt, I love my body.