Marilyn Monroe-my body ideal

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Blah, this bickering is disgusting.

At any rate, of all the many many MM photos ever taken, this one is still my favorite . . . and the one in which I think she looks the best and leanest:

marilyn_monroe-bench+press.gif
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    22 inch waist is tiny! Don't know how it would've stayed 22-23 inches when she weighed 140lbs... I'm 126lb with 35-27-35 measurements! Not saying she would be exactly the same!

Her figure is admirable but unattainable for most. I'm lucky to have an hourglass but would love a smaller waist!
    I think her waist was 22 inches at her smallest. I'm sure it got bigger proportionally as she gained weight. That's what happens to me. I keep the same difference in measurements (12 inches), but everything gets equally bigger or smaller.

Plus, girdles were very popular then... and her garments might have been made with a 22-23 inch waist, but she might have been a touch bigger when nekkid.

I had a 23-24 inch waist in college, and managed to zip up the Scarlett O'Hara costume I made with a 22" waist. It was a bit painful, but wearable. The bodice was so tight, I had a muffin-bottom instead of a muffin top. The hoop skirt hid it. :laugh:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe's Measurements (per her dress-maker):

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

At her skinniest she was 118.0 lbs, heaviest, 140.0 lbs...she did, in fact, have a tiny waist, but she also had hips and thighs...something today's runway models definitely lack.

And anybody that looks at her and says she had a super low body fat % must be nuts...or needs glasses.
    Yes, she had hips and thighs. As do I. I have her exact proportions (extreme hourglass). At her smallest, she was most definitely smaller than a modern size 6-8. At her highest she was probably at most a 6.

Like I said, my 40-28-40 5'3" frame is a size 8 at 150 pounds and definitely not low body fat. Who said she had low body fat? She was still super tiny.

You CAN have curves and be very small.

I don't deny that...I'm just saying her figure to me is more attractive than today's runway models.

I also think that people are vehemently against the idea that she may have been a larger size (size 6 is not large by any means)...I also find it interesting that the very idea of her being a size 12-16 (though this size was FOR SURE smaller than today's size 12-16) actually seems to cause an uproar because people have an emotional reaction to a size 12...even a size 8-it seems to almost offend some people...I find that fascinating.

All that being said, her figure may be unattainable due to her extreme hourglass figure, but a modified version of it is my goal figure.

It has nothing to do with the emotional reaction of a size 12 and more with the fact it is just plain WRONG. She ranged anywhere between a modern days 2 to an 8. With the way sizing varies she probably could have fit into some 0s. I think RML_16 sums it up well. The amount of misinformation about her and misquotes is staggering in the body positivity camp. If you have to make stuff up to make her fit your ideal... why not just choose someone else? Christina Hendricks?

Umm...didn't make anything up. Size 6.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Her curves were perfection, imo. But still unattainable for most women. She was dramatically hour glass. Most women, no matter what they do, will not have her measurements. Would she be allowed on today's runways? Probably not. But she was a healthy weight and had an exceptionally admirable figure, even today. The whole "she wore a 16" statement I keep hearing irritates me. For one, sizes ran a LOT smaller back then (hello modern vanity sizing). And just look at her measurements. Now way she would be a today's size 16. Most of her clothes had to be custom because of her unusual measurements.

All that being said, she's one of the most beautiful women ever.

Well a size 16 back then would be a size 6-8 in today's sizes (still not "runway" size as today most runway models are size 0-2)

She did have a very dramatic hourglass...My measurements aren't far off from hers except for my bust... :(

There was an article about her clothes and not one piece was over a size 8. That is old school sizing. She never was a 16 in that time nor this one. She was always small.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Wow...this thread took off in the 2 hours since I was on here.

I'm allowed to have a goal figure/weight of whomever and whatever I choose.

I do not think I will attain her exact figure...but I do think that I can work on my curves a little more.

LoL-it's kinda funny how worked up everyone gets about a simple post...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

We don't mean you specifically. Just that this is really common in general and you perpetuated a lot of the myth in your post. I'm sue you wre just repeating what you've seen on FB, etc., but most of it is just not accurate.

ESPECIALLY that white bathing suit photo people throw around. Of course she was a bit bigger. She was several months pregnant.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    So my wife watches real housewives of Orange County...All the fighting and bickering over the littlest insignificant things. All I can think is "no way this show is real, it has to all be scripted just to get content for the show."

Then I read this thread and think, "Ya know, maybe it's all real".
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe's Measurements (per her dress-maker):

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

At her skinniest she was 118.0 lbs, heaviest, 140.0 lbs...she did, in fact, have a tiny waist, but she also had hips and thighs...something today's runway models definitely lack.

And anybody that looks at her and says she had a super low body fat % must be nuts...or needs glasses.
    Yes, she had hips and thighs. As do I. I have her exact proportions (extreme hourglass). At her smallest, she was most definitely smaller than a modern size 6-8. At her highest she was probably at most a 6.

Like I said, my 40-28-40 5'3" frame is a size 8 at 150 pounds and definitely not low body fat. Who said she had low body fat? She was still super tiny.

You CAN have curves and be very small.

I don't deny that...I'm just saying her figure to me is more attractive than today's runway models.

I also think that people are vehemently against the idea that she may have been a larger size (size 6 is not large by any means)...I also find it interesting that the very idea of her being a size 12-16 (though this size was FOR SURE smaller than today's size 12-16) actually seems to cause an uproar because people have an emotional reaction to a size 12...even a size 8-it seems to almost offend some people...I find that fascinating.

All that being said, her figure may be unattainable due to her extreme hourglass figure, but a modified version of it is my goal figure.

It has nothing to do with the emotional reaction of a size 12 and more with the fact it is just plain WRONG. She ranged anywhere between a modern days 2 to an 8. With the way sizing varies she probably could have fit into some 0s. I think RML_16 sums it up well. The amount of misinformation about her and misquotes is staggering in the body positivity camp. If you have to make stuff up to make her fit your ideal... why not just choose someone else? Christina Hendricks?

Umm... Ok?
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    So my wife watches real housewives of Orange County...All the fighting and bickering over the littlest insignificant things. All I can think is "no way this show is real, it has to all be scripted just to get content for the show."

HAHAHA
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I wish they made clothes in a variety of "cuts" - like curvy (aka hourglass) and for more boyish figures. I find everything seems to be somewhere in between - which is aggravating! (Don't get me onto trying to get jeans to fit round the waist AND hips!) I did see a sports top once available in a "curvy" and "athletic" cut, but it was not in my size:huh:
    I buy midrise. They're high up enough so the crack doesn't show, but they sit at the waist, so you don't have to worry about fitting waist and hips.

Don't some brands offer a "curvy" jean, though, that's for the pear/hourglass shape? I haven't tried any.

Gap has a curvy jean. It does help with the gap but Gap now adds too much stretch so at the end of the day they end up too big all over. Levi's has something too. I believe it takes your measurements and finds you the right fit. Obviously I have not tried this, yet.

lucky brand has a curvier cut to some of their jeans, and the loft carries a curvy girl jean.

Aero has them too. I ordered them because I was fat thinking that's why they made them :laugh: However, they have WAY too much stretch to them too, so by the end of the day, they sag everywhere.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

LMAO That's hilarious! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I wish they made clothes in a variety of "cuts" - like curvy (aka hourglass) and for more boyish figures. I find everything seems to be somewhere in between - which is aggravating! (Don't get me onto trying to get jeans to fit round the waist AND hips!) I did see a sports top once available in a "curvy" and "athletic" cut, but it was not in my size:huh:
    I buy midrise. They're high up enough so the crack doesn't show, but they sit at the waist, so you don't have to worry about fitting waist and hips.

Don't some brands offer a "curvy" jean, though, that's for the pear/hourglass shape? I haven't tried any.

Gap has a curvy jean. It does help with the gap but Gap now adds too much stretch so at the end of the day they end up too big all over. Levi's has something too. I believe it takes your measurements and finds you the right fit. Obviously I have not tried this, yet.

lucky brand has a curvier cut to some of their jeans, and the loft carries a curvy girl jean.

Aero has them too. I ordered them because I was fat thinking that's why they made them :laugh: However, they have WAY too much stretch to them too, so by the end of the day, they sag everywhere.

Old Navy has a curvy fit. I think it's the Sweetheart fit.
  • DatsDonna
    DatsDonna Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Agree, her brand of beauty is stunning...classic, and many will aspire to it, but cannot achieve it..but I consider the really fit, toned women of today just as stunning in a different way. These women project strength, not a a kind of childlike helplessness...and STRENGTH will always be sexy to me, whether we're talking about men or women.
  • MSeel1984
    Options

The most humorous part of this is that I didn't mean for it to turn into this.

Just appreciating how gorgeous she was...and even though she is pregnant in this picture, she doesn't have a huge bulge...I can still appreciate the fact that she looks pretty in this picture.

Girls find anything to bicker about. Even if you read the original post...which obviously most people didn't.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I think she's gorgeous. She's not super toned, she's not 3% body fat...

She's a bombshell. Opinions?

I'm glad she wasn't 3% body fat, because essential body fat for women is 10-13%.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I am not part of the cult of Marilyn Monroe, but she looks very healthy and attractive there. As others have said, it's not to helpful to emulate her body type if you don't have the same build. For myself, I'm not interested in a super-developed look. I just want to be lean and firm.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I am not part of the cult of Marilyn Monroe, but she looks very healthy and attractive there. As others have said, it's not to helpful to emulate her body type if you don't have the same build. For myself, I'm not interested in a super-developed look. I just want to be lean and firm.

Well...there have been whole threads on these forums about people's celebrity idea body types...Will I ever be just like her? No. Do I have a natural hourglass shape? Yes...do I admire her form? Yes.

If I could have any body shape, hers would be it. I'm working on being my best me, but if I were to have the body of a celebrity, there it is.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I'm glad she wasn't 3% body fat, because essential body fat for women is 10-13%.

Right.

And I'm fairly certain OP really didn't mean that Marilyn had 3% body fat. It was just an example of how her body and body fat percentage and attractiveness to some is much different than what people find attractive now.

*insert eye roll*
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

Right.

And I'm fairly certain OP really didn't mean that Marilyn had 3% body fat. It was just an example of how her body and body fat percentage and attractiveness to some is much different than what people find attractive now.

*insert eye roll*

Right. I know she didn't say Marilyn Monroe had 3% body fat. She clearly said she did not. Then she said discuss...... so, I said it was a good thing she didn't, hence, I was discussing....
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Right.

*insert eye roll*

This was quoted because about 4 posts up the OP accused everyone of not reading the Original Thread. So Puffy was simply then responding directly to it as if she meant it literally. You can't have it both ways . . .