Do "waist belts" actually help?

Options
actualbettycrocker
actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I just bought one (at my mother's urging) to wear while I work out and I was wondering if they actually do anything at all?

I only spent $6 on the one I got just in case it's useless.

EDIT: I also have a very bad back and heard it might assist with it.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just bought one (at my mother's urging) to wear while I work out and I was wondering if they actually do anything at all?

what kinda belt? and what is it supposed to do? lots of people wear belts in the gym, for different purposes. some work some dont. i wear one and it works great for my purpose.

they aren't generally designed for back support for bad backs
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

what kinda belt? and what is it supposed to do? lots of people wear belts in the gym, for different purposes. some work some dont. i wear one and it works great for my purpose.

they aren't generally designed for back support for bad backs

It's a "waist trimmer belt".

Oh damn I was hoping it'd help with that its been bad lately :c
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had one once and it doesn't do much but make you sweat more around the waist. I think it's good for posture but you shouldn't make it a habit to rely on the belt.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm getting one in a few days I'll let you know how mine works ! Try using the waist trimmer with exercise and clean eating and I'm sure it's going to work awesome
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it doesn't work at all, except temporarily by compression and water loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm getting one in a few days I'll let you know how mine works ! Try using the waist trimmer with exercise and clean eating and I'm sure it's going to work awesome

You can still return it. It does not work.
  • njpchefsteph
    njpchefsteph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes they do work I actually wear 2 belts because I need the back support but accompanied with lots of core excercise you will lose inches in your waist and back area over time. I actually have to purchase 2 more I have worn these out. By all means wear one.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Yes they do work I actually wear 2 belts because I need the back support but accompanied with lots of core excercise you will lose inches in your waist and back area over time. I actually have to purchase 2 more I have worn these out. By all means wear one.

They actually don't. I do direct core work 2x weekly with two days of indirect core work. And I still gain inches around my waist even when I eat clean and exercise. It's purely about calories in vs. Calories out. I know people who claim they work and have been using it for well over 6 months. Well, they still have a gut, then there's me who had some extra flab 2 months ago, and now I have visible abs in all lighting even though I cut my ab days down to once a week. Please explain to me how that works?

• actualbettycrocker
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Do you guys need to be condescending though? I don't understand why people who are new to these topics can't ask simple questions without people coming out of the woodwork with condescension.

Thanks to the people who answered though. I appreciate it.

Were there posts deleted from this thread? I've read it through three times and don't detect even a hint of condescension. You asked an honest question and received honest answers. *baffled shrug*

If there is any disdain here it's against these money-wasting products, not against your question. Threads such as this pop up daily and most people like to steer the OPs toward valid advice and away from sketchy products.

Hope you find something that helps with your back.

I found the responses from two of the users to be unnecessarily condescending. Maybe you're not interpreting it as such, but I did.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do you guys need to be condescending though? I don't understand why people who are new to these topics can't ask simple questions without people coming out of the woodwork with condescension.

Didn't you ask if these belts work?

What does that have to do with being condescending though......?
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    A wise person once told me that when you read between the lines all you get are crossed eyes. I thought she was being condescending at the time but now I consider it some of the best advice I've ever gotten and it seems fitting to share it here. Believe me, if anyone here wanted to talk down to you, everyone would be able to see it. ;)
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Didn't you ask if these belts work?

What does that have to do with being condescending though......?

You asked. You got honest answers (some of which tried to be humorous). You then berated everyone who answered you.

I didn't berate everybody who answered though but ok lol.