Do "waist belts" actually help?

Options

Replies

• actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Could it be that the answers you got are not the answers you wanted?

I suggest you listen to the advice you get here and stay away from gimmicks. If you are really serious about your health, this is the only approach that works. If you want a quick fix that does not involve putting in the effort, you will surely fail.

Good luck.

That's not the case though but thanks for the assumption??

I am serious and wasn't asking for a "quick fix" but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I didn't know they were a gimmick because I didn't even really know what they were for. But hey thanks for ignoring absolutely everything I've said and interpret it completely differently.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If you already have a bad back, it is possible the waist trainer could make it worse. My advice would be to be thankful you only wasted $6, and see if you can get an appointment with a physiotherapist for your back to get some professional advice on what would be most effective. When my abdominal muscles are weak, my back is worse. Best of luck.

Thank you I wasn't aware of that. I'll try to get someone to check it out when I go home for the summer then. (my insurance doesn't work in the state I'm in so I'm looking for things to hold me over until I go back)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    6 pound belt won't help with back or waist
    Speak to doctor and get occupational health to access your workstation
    As you lose weight through your diet your waist will trim
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Do you guys need to be condescending though? I don't understand why people who are new to these topics can't ask simple questions without people coming out of the woodwork with condescension.

Thanks to the people who answered though. I appreciate it.

Who is being condescending? The ones who told you it doesn't work? They're just telling you the truth. If that's construed as being condescending then, well, you've got some issues.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    Do you guys need to be condescending though? I don't understand why people who are new to these topics can't ask simple questions without people coming out of the woodwork with condescension.

Who is being condescending? The ones who told you it doesn't work? They're just telling you the truth. If that's construed as being condescending then, well, you've got some issues.

That's not what I said though. But yeah sure go ahead and jump to conclusion~
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options

If you think the answers I, or anyone else, gave in this is condescending, life must be hard for you.

Yours was condescending though. It really was. If I just gotten the answer of "no it doesn't work" I'd be like ok cool but you were rude about it. End of story and no life isn't hard for me but thanks for the assumption.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

If you think the answers I, or anyone else, gave in this is condescending, life must be hard for you.

Yours was condescending though. It really was. If I just gotten the answer of "no it doesn't work" I'd be like ok cool but you were rude about it. End of story and no life isn't hard for me but thanks for the assumption.

What part did you find condescending? Other that my smart *kitten* response about life being hard for you.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

That's not what I said though. But yeah sure go ahead and jump to conclusion~

But you DID say people were being condescending, that they were coming out of the woodwork just to be condescending to you, so what is the issue with Sassie_Lassie's post?

At the risk of sounding condescending--which this absolutely is not, for the record--you sound like you need change your criteria regarding which things are worth taking offense over and which are not. It does no one, least of all yourself, any favors to "interpret" condescension and/or impute bad motives to words on a screen which lack any sort of emotional indicators.

Like I said before, if anyone here meant to insult you in any way, it would be obvious to everyone, not just yourself.

Just a few words to the wise.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I notice that I don't slouch as much during some of my workouts. So $6 to be a little more mindful about my posture is worth it, but trimming your waist? Ummm no. That happens in the kitchen, not the gym
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

At the risk of making this thread longer and more current than it needs, what, exactly, did you find rude about his response? That there was an arguably funny video attached? Or something else?

Also, he didn't make an assumption. He drew a conclusion from available evidence. Is it possible that the conclusion was incorrect? Sure. But it wasn't actually an assumption.

edited for punctuation
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

This is one of the most polite and friendly places in all of the interwebz. I just don't get it.

For some context, please know that people wonder about and make absurd claims about foods and products here quite often. Some are dangerous. For instance, if you're talking about certain waist trainers--the ones with steel boning like corsets--you will be moving your organs around in a dangerous and unpredictable way, risking death by asphyxiation and a host of other problems. Also, this will be the third thread in a week on the same subject.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

This is one of the most polite and friendly places in all of the interwebz. I just don't get it.

For some context, please know that people wonder about and make absurd claims about foods and products here quite often. Some are dangerous. For instance, if you're talking about certain waist trainers--the ones with steel boning like corsets--you will be moving your organs around in a dangerous and unpredictable way, risking death by asphyxiation and a host of other problems. Also, this will be the third thread in a week on the same subject.

Because obviously I knew that it was the third this week. People could have just ignored it if it bothered them that it was????