WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    re. WTH :p You sound like you're on the right track. Keep up the good work and keep checking in. It works!
    NYKAREN
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Charleen in ‘hot’ Colorado – I think most of us try not to use the term ‘diet’ in our individual quests to lose weight or maintain it. My suggestion would be for you to have your MD/GP determine from your weight what your caloric intake should be in order to lose weight. It is probably going to be considerably lower than just to maintain. I also think that most of us here don’t necessarily ‘restrict’ something we love from our ‘life-style change’ so that we don’t have the urge to ‘pig out’ if we do eat just a small amount. Setting ‘mini goals’ is good; because to look at the entire picture of how much you need to lose would be disheartening. Rather than rewarding yourself with a period of time going back to a ‘maintenance’ plan might make losing weight more difficult, especially if after that period of time, you find you have gained weight instead of losing or maintaining. You could reward yourself with your 20lb goals by doing something you enjoy doing or something you like. Such as buying a plant or going to a movie (or renting one), taking a few extra moments to read a book. The number on the scale is not nearly as important as the difference in inches and sometimes you lose inches and don’t lose weight. Fat weighs more than muscle and when you get to the point of turning fat into muscle you might even gain weight. This is just IMHO. It has been really ‘hot’ in South Georgia … I think it is ‘hot’ everywhere at this point (unless, maybe you are in Rio or some place on the lower half of the hemisphere.

Miriam – Boy, do I know what it is like to try to live on SSD. My monthly income dropped by about 75%; it took us months to rearrange bill due dates and ‘thankfully’ having a little bit of an inheritance to carry us through it. I am also getting a ‘retirement’ check; and half of it goes to pay for health insurance since my husband is self-employed and does not have any unless he is covered under my insurance; and, when I turned 62 (early retirement age); it dropped by $250 – again, we found we had to contact creditors to try to rearrange due dates according to the date we receive our checks Thankfully, with Medicare and my insurance I had COBRAed – I rarely own any balance on any of my medical bills (same for husband). He receives SSI; but, he also still works full time; and, we call that our ‘fluff’ money. But, he is 74 years old, a self-employed painter and works like he is our son’s age (40). He is tired and hot and grumpy when he gets home. I paint (artist); but, I don’t do so on a regular basis on commission – I do it more for pleasure. With this ‘new’ Affordable Care Act (which isn’t affordable) … my health insurance went up by $54 – that is a ‘bill’ payment – again, back to the drawing board. While SSI/SSD is not ‘meant’ to be our ‘total’ income; when you cannot work, it is. We’re not eligible for food stamps either. However, our ‘former’ DnL, who hasn’t worked but one job for a short period of time, was getting more than a $1000 in food stamps alone (for 3 children, that she had lost custody of). It took her getting arrested for the Department to cut her food stamps off. She’d trade her EBT card for drugs. There are some people that choose NOT to work; but, they get Medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, help or ‘free’ childcare; and they drive automobiles that costs twice what I paid for mine or more.

Kevrit – Sorry for the loss of your job. We’re always here. Know first-hand what it is like for someone to lose their job, when they depend on it. Our DDnL#1 lost her job a couple of weeks ago. They’re stretched so tight it is like a ‘drum’. In one regard, it is good, she ‘hated’ her job and her boss, who treated her badly; but, they do need that 2nd income.

Becca – Congrats to your son for that ‘98’. WOW!

Gee, TV showing Joan Rivers ‘stuff’ that is up for sale at Christie’s. Certainly NOT my style. Pretty tacky, IMHO. Talking about how ‘rich’ she was … and how amazing her apartment was. Good thing that a % of the sale is going to a charity of Joan’s choice. Melissa was telling the reporter that she ‘loves her ‘stuff’ and she ‘used’ it. I guess I am used to the ‘hunting cabin’ “stuff” in our house that we ‘definitely’ use.

What’s ‘tahini’?

Lenora
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Kevrit good to see you back. Sorry about the job.

Still adding things to my fairy garden. It reminds me of when I played house as a child. NO CALORIES TOO!

Strawberry Moon tonight. Once every 50 years there is a full moon on the summer solstice.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 10.38min, 14.4amph, 140mhr, 2.5mi = 94c
    SPIN- 42min, 95ar, 51aw, 6-8g, 148mhr, 8.5mi = 265c
    ride gym 2 wk, new open bridge- 56.58min, 11.6amph, 115ahr, 142mhr, 11mi = 407c
    ride round parking lot- 12.31min, 7.9amph, 98mhr, 1.6mi = 49c
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.29min, 9.3amph, 161mhr, 2.5mi = 182c
    total cal 997 (almost)
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ✔️
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC, Heather in the UK - thank you for your thoughts on my question.

I'm currently on a 1,300 a day calorie intake. I know this is lower than even MFP set based on my goals, but I wanted to see 'something' happen. I guess I am a bit impatient and just wanted to feel better, faster. Does that make sense?

My thought was to reset my calorie intake to whatever MFP suggested which was around 1,500 - 1,600 calories a day. Thanks for the warning that once you slide off the wagon that it might be hard to get back on again. I'm been good about logging everything and have really amped up my activities so I have something logged for excercise every day. When I started it was more like 2 times a week. Since most of my meals are home made I've found my food choices are good, but the portions were not. Too much of a good thing. :)

The other thought that had not occurred to me was there might be weight gain on maintanence! Yikes!

Since I have another month (more or less) before I can claim my first 20 lbs lost, I'll think about what you said and see if I can just slug through. I definitely do not want to go backwards.

Charleen in Colorado (Today was a good day!)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    All caught up (for now). :)

Charleen in CO – I think that building in mini-goals is a great idea but you can make the rewards something non-food based. Also, remember to reward those non-scale victories as well – losing inches, losing a pant size, reaching a stretch exercise goal, etc. And I agree with everyone who said to treat this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. You got this girl! Oh and when you signed your post as “hot, so darn hot”, that was you that you were referencing and not the weather, right? B)

Kevrit – Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your job loss. We are here for you. <3

Negrita466 – Have you taken your measurements? Sometimes when you are not losing pounds, you are still losing inches because you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat.

Joyce – Glad that you had such a lovely time with your friends!

It’s hard to get up early on a Monday morning and head into the gym, but I did it and walked for 60 minutes on the treadmill before work. Felt good when I was done.

I am starting to get ready for vacation. This Friday, we head south to Tablerock Lake in southern Missouri for a week. Excited for a week to relax and just hang out with my hubby and daughters.

Linda/IA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Did 1 segment of The Butt Lift DVD, held my plank for 2 min 50 sec then about 50 minutes of the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do The Firm Classic Low Impact Aerobics DVD. We shall see how that goes.

Heather - you didn't put on any weight??? That's truly amazing

Linda - If it were me, I would probably choose the personal training over the group exercise classes. A personal trainer will be sure you're using the correct form at all times. A group exercise instructor just can't (trust me, I know BTDT) watch everyone's form at all times. To me, this is especially important when you are starting a different move in a class. Even after taking a class for a long time, it's still a good idea to see a personal trainer occasionally. Like I started taking classes and I never knew that I was doing a squat wrong until a personal trainer pointed it out to me. Now I'm very careful to always watch my form.

Heather - good lookin dress, and you wear it so nicely

Cheri - I know this is a stupid question, but what sport are the Cavs in? Woohoo for your hubby getting the A&M job! Have you ever taken the puppy on a long trip? Do you know if she/he will get anxious?

Rita - welcome back, but so sorry about the circumstances.

Betty - if you MUST have dessert, have a piece of fruit. To me, that is a wonderful dessert. Of course, Vince thinks I'm crazy.

DJ - one day I turned on my computer and it had automatically updated me to Windows 10. We were planning on putting it on our laptops first. Vince is still in 7. He had heard of something like this happening. It also happened to Denise the other day.

Becca - congrats to your son on such a high score. Sorry he has to stay an extra day, but it'll be worth it in the end

I did find that when I would watch what I was eating during the week and then not be as careful, it was so much harder to get back to healthy eating. After a while (a long while), tho, I did get to the point where I couldn't wait to get back to healthy eating. But let me too you, that took so long.

Re - I'm like you, I don't deny myself anything. I do watch the portions, try to have larger portions of veggies, smaller ones of cake etc. I won't say that I never have cake, in some ways I think you need it. Your brind needs the carbs. I just don't have a whole lot, that's all. I've gotten to where I'm not a dessert person. They're having a volunteer reception for the people who volunteer at the Green Room. I was asked if I was going to go. They're only going to have cookies, etc. That's fine. But I told them "probably not. Vince isn't really interested, and I'm not so much of a dessert person" Oh, I think I'll have to measure for the rest of my life. It helps when I'm out, then I don't get so much "portion distortion", gets me back on track.

Exercised, then had to go to the post office, make a deposit for the Newcomers, went to senior bowling, home for dinner then ceramics then mahjongg.

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC~ Yep it was already worth it... His score makes it easy when he talks to the job adviser! We have already told him to be persistent, and not "settle" for whatever job they want to give them. If they don't give you what you wish, then tell them you need to speak to your recruiter to take him home. (Or call his father a Chief!). We told him tonight to drink liquids in the morning, at least a large mug of coffee!

Becca
    Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather & Charlene: I also use exercise to "earn" food. It took a long time to lose the weight, but 70 pounds is a lot to "let go". I never want to regain so I log everything. This daily practice together with the support from this group is golden and I am having a very positive improvement in health and happiness. :flowerforyou:

RITA: WELCOME BACK! You have been missed. :bigsmile: I'm sorry about the job. I hope you'll find something better.

Becca: Congratulations to your son for his excellent military test scores! :star::bigsmile: :star:

negrita466: Count calories for every bite and swallow, stay within your goal, move more (exercise) and the pounds will come off. The thing is, they don't always come off quickly. You have to stick to it anyway if you want to reach your goals. :flowerforyou:

Yoga this morning was wonderful. One of my two favorite teachers led the class, I worked hard at some positions that were new to me, and made a bit of progress. This afternoon DH and I ran errands in Portland. I looked for halfchaps for riding but didn't find just the right thing. DH looked at a mobility scooter that would be able to accompany him on a plane trip when we go to visit DS and DDIL in the DC area or our daughter in Illinois. No decisions were made but we learned quite a bit. He's now tired and reading, and I'm ready to watch TV. I hope something good is on. If not, I'll go up stairs and read, too.

Have a great evening.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I broke a tooth last night and half of it fell out. I went to the dentist this morning and she put a temporary fix on it. I go back tomorrow for a permanent crown. It's not feeling the greatest. I hope it's better tomorrow. Have I ever mentioned I hate the dentist!!! Basically I have good teeth. I have not had to have anything done in many years other than cleaning and X-rays.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I am finally off my high I was on when I came back this afternoon.

Kevrit, welcome back. Sorry about the job issue. We are here whether you have the best job, the worst job or no job at all.

All you guys out west please be careful with the heat, don't ride the horses, take care of your dogs, make sure your feral cats have plenty of water.

Becca, my brother was a lifer in the Navy on a Nuclear sub. Although we were very proud of him, it was pretty scary at times and his wife didn't tell us half the stuff that she was allowed to tell. John will never be able to tell us some things. And that is scary in itself.

Linda, my Mom had terrible periods, was pretty much the opposite of what should happen. She would have period for 21 days and none for 7 days. And she had a lot of miscarriages. So her doctor, who was named Dr. Stork, really encouraged a hysterectomy. She went in, they did the usual pregnancy test and it was positive. Boy number 1 child number 4. So they waited and got her scheduled again, did the pregnancy test, yep you guessed it. Pregnant again. So that was boy number 2 and child number 5. When they were dating they argued about how many kids. Mom wanted 3 girls, Dad wanted 2 boys. Well God gave them that. Anyway, Dr. Stork took Dad aside and just told him to stay off of Mom until they could get her scheduled. come to think of it now that I write it, that is the exact menstruating schedule my oldest daughter is on. I wonder if it can be hereditary???

Lenora, when I had to quit because of my MS, I at first was on the hospitals long term disability. It was 60% of my pay check. But we made it OK. Then I finally got my OK for my SSDI and it was 40% of my paycheck. I quit in May, had enough vacation, personal days and sick time to last me the rest of the year. Plus since I was still and employee I was acruing more sick time, vacation time and personal days. So it just kept on coming. Plus I was on either the hospitals disability or SSDI. When my pay finally ran out, i had made it to my anniversary date and I got 4 weeks vacation pay in my final pay check. Of course that made the pay check bigger and more taxes to come out. The hospital had this program that twice a year according to what the patient opinion forms were employees would gt a bonus. So I hadn't even worked for over 6 months and I got that!!!! Basically I was paid full time from May 19th to the end of the year without working any time at all. Of course when I got my SSDI, I had to pay them back some of the money because it was retroactive and I was getting disability from the hospital. But I was able to talk them down on the amount. My husband and I have always been i agreement that unless you can pay cash, you don't buy something. So the only loans we have ever had was car or house. WE have no payments now. But we have had the luxury of my having my good nursing paycheck and a place of employment that had wonderful benefits and unfortunately a lousy paycheck for Charlie. But all money went in the same bank account so he didn't feel like his paycheck was only half of mine.

I love watching American Ninja Warrior!!!! Those people have such stories and are so healthy.

JOyce, INdiana
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Margaret

9499ebd0jvq6.png
    dy8zrfy09dkj.jpg
    Fairy Garden
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good Morning, Penny and others across the pond!

Becca You must be so proud of your son!

Joyce So glad you got high on friends. Nothin' like it!

Lenora Tahini is a yummy sesame butter or paste which is used in dishes from the Middle East, Greece, & North Africa. It is used with chick peas in hummus and with eggplant in baba ghanoush. If you like the taste of sesame, you will like tahini.

Rita My name is Karen, I am new since you were last posting here, nice to meet you.

My brother lost his job when depressed. His boss was such a kindhearted person she carried his insurance & benefits for him for a year after he was disabled before she finally "fired" him. He was so shocked that she let him go...that's how distorted his thinking was...when in fact she had been incredibly generous to continue providing his insurance & benefits for a year after he last reported to work. He was an art director in a Washington D.C. advertising firm & was loved and valued, but business is business.

So sorry you lost your job, I know it is devastating, and I hope you are getting help if depression was a factor this time.

Janetr Ugh. I am sorry for you about your tooth. I lost a very large filling in a rear molar a few months ago and decided to have the tooth pulled rather than capped. I had a little nitrous oxide which helped but TMI Alert upchucked afterwards. Talk about miserable. I try so hard to be a big girl when I go to the dentist but it's tough for me too.

I wish my fairy above was a tooth fairy who could just touch your naughty tooth with a wand and fix it.

Linda IA Have fun on vacation at Tablerock Lake - I have heard it's nice. Bet it is really hot there, huh?

Lolo Glad your job is awesome!

Re You make me smile. I like your spunk!

Barbie I want to be able to post animated emoticons but can't figure out how to accomplish that. I have a Mac. Any suggestions? I love them, they make me happy. So easily amused.

Karen in Virginia
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    *grins* If I can make even one of you smile, today, then my job here is done...

Goodnight, Ladies... or rather, good morning.

See you all after a little sleep.

Re in TX
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... got a long day ahead, working on a massive article regarding the water woes in this part of Texas over the last ten years, most of the research done, just trying to put it together in something resembling a coherent structure with a beginning and a middle to prepare for a 2-3 hour meeting today that will hopefully bring an end to some of it, but doubtful. Sorry to be vague, but holy crapolini, small town politics is just byzantine.

All this, of course, while putting together the other half-dozen articles that I have to write, assembling them with the reporter's eight or ten articles into a paper. Gets my juices flowing, to say the least.So, this morning, it's shower and scoot to the paper about 5 a.m., give myself a little quiet time to compose.

Talked to the banker, who I've known for a LONG time, and we're working on an equity line of credit to give the DH and I the ability to buy a used, but hopefully nice, trailer (caravan for our UK lovelies) and place it out back to live in. It will move us out of the code violations that we're currently skirting, and take away some of the urgency of building out the inside of the warehouse as a place we can live in. We can take our time and finish building out the rooms. It will allow us to either use it or rent it as an office complex, complete with kitchen, bathroom and woodshop. :) An RV space is already wired and plumbed into the warehouse's back yard, so it's been done before.

Told the banker what I wanted the money for, and his comment was, "I don't give a d*mn what you use it for, it's a line of credit, y'all aren't asking for stupid money." Love that man, and told him I'd hug his neck the next time I see him. :) Now we just wait on the broker's opinion of what the place is worth.

My eating's been utterly horrible for weeks--but scanty because of the busy-ness, so the weight's stayed the same, losing and gaining the same two or three pounds here and there, and haven't worked out for months. Hope to rectify that soon when the DH moves into town with me. Cannot WAIT to have my husband with me at night. He's supposed to find out today whether the ranch owners will cooperate and pay him drive time, so he can live in town, or if there's some compromise position. They may well fire him outright; they're interesting people. He's also chasing down a lead to work in town as an independent contractor. Trying not to worry. Unsuccessfully.

Thank y'all for all the kind remarks. I've never had a gear between 1st and 4th. OK, between full stop and 5th gear. I genuinely love my life, and try to savor every moment. You caught me in some of the happiest years of my life--I let emotional weight take the form of physical weight and burden my heart and my soul until I was in my 40s. Now, I just continue to try to be lighter... one pound at a time.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas