Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks so much for the hugs. <3
    Just been reading the howls of pain in my newspaper
    The whole thing a cry of despair.
    I have signed a petition for a second referendum, knowing it's hopeless, but..... Oh well. Sigh.
    Still can't believe it.
    Love Heather
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We've had triple digit head indexes here, too (SWGA); and, it is not even the 'hottest' month (usually August, sometimes September). It drains me, even in the pool. DH said he was going to watch a movie, so I only worked out for an hour. Supposed to go down and eat with the kids this evening. DOGD should be bringing the 2 younger ones home, DYGD has been 'sick' and 'getting worse' for 2 or 3 days. Other than that, they've had a very good time. DDnL#1 has a 'interview' this Wednesday; and, is hoping the job in town, which will drop on Monday is something she'll also get an 'interview' with ... so she has two choices.

When I was looking for my last job; I had 2 interviews in one day; so since I did ... I asked the first ones, who offered me the job, on the spot. I was honest with them and told them I had a 2nd interview that day; and, could I let them know the next day. It wasn't fair for me (or either of the jobs I was to interview with) not to be able to decide between them. Was told by 2nd interview, they'd let me know the next day whether, or not, I had the job. I called my Daddy and asked his opinion - as these 2 law firms did totally opposite type of practice. One did real estate and defense/insurance ... and seemed that it would be 'boring'. He was 'surprised' that I had interview with the particular firm (2nd one); and told me 'that' IF they offered it to me - I'd learn a LOT more about 'law' than the other one. I got offered the job the next morning and asked if I could have the rest of the week to find 'childcare'. That was fine with them; ... I hit the road 'running' ... learn it quickly or else. So very interesting; but, a LOT of work, weekends when they were going to trial; and, then settled the day of the trial (or if attorneys did not like the length of time the jury was out or they asked the judge too many questions') ... we had 2 different 'dismissals'. One without prejudice and one with prejudice to hand to the judge. Sometimes it meant 'more' work on same case; but, we knew what type of questions the other side was going to ask.

Lenora
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Ok I am driving my family insane... lol You know when you are about to have a baby, and you start cleaning everything in sight. Well, no I am not having a baby, but I am nesting....well organizing. My teenager had a plastic upright bin with 8 drawers filled with odds and ends of toys. I asked him the other day if he has ever gone into those bins since we moved here. Answer was nope. So I have packed all the boy toys away, in a box, with a HUGE box of Lego's from under his bed. It is all going to my niece that has a 6 yr old. I asked her on Facebook last night if she was interested, and she was. So Christmas toys via an Auntie isn't so bad. Even included some wrapping paper, and papers explaining what stuff was.

My teenager has deemed some of the toys to this brothers, so there's some more Christmas presents right there. I figure by the time we actually decide to be gypsies we won't really have much stuff... (if I keep THIS up).

I have a cast iron wok that I have used for years, but now I have a new big pan so it just sits in the back of my cabinet. It doesn't need a base because its flat at the bottom. I need to gift that to someone. It is kind of high maintenance, in that after you use it, you just put a pile of coarse salt in it and scrub using that. No dish washing soap, or you have to re-season the thing. It has a nice patina on it...shiny black. Anyone? It would be kind of expensive to send being it so heavy, (I used to tell people if anyone breaks in, that would be my weapon of choice!). But it is a pretty thing.

I don't know why I am in this state? I mean there is a year with son until he goes into the Navy, and probably a year more before we pay off the car. We wish to be debt-free before we sever ties with a permanent home. Of course we need to buy another larger car to pull a trailer if we are going that route. I personally think we should get a "trailer van" kind of thing. But then if we needed to go to the store, well we would have to pull up stakes to do that. Maybe just bikes or a scooter on the back for that. A lot to dream about.

Logging food again. Yesterday went well. Today shall be even better! I am feeling empowered by this first step of reclaiming my life.

Last night when I was checking Facebook, (yep my husband is trusting me again about that issue), my middle son logged on. He is on a carrier out in the Philippine Sea. It was so nice to type to him! He said some pretty wonderful things I shall share with you~

"I'm really glad to hear that mom. I know I don't say this enough, but thank you for being the best mom ever, and for being the strongest women I have ever known. you've been taking care of the family since us boys have left and It makes me so glad to hear that you are doing good."

He is such a respectful son. Always worrying about me. He was asking how I was doing thru all of his fathers health issues.

Well time to eat my snack of peanuts and lemonade water!
    Becca
    Oregon

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Marcelynn, I had a torn rotator cuff and labrum that healed with a cortisone shot and PT, no surgery. It happened when I broke my wrist in January but wasn't diagnosed until the summer when I actually tried to use the whole arm again. That was in 2014. Mine, of course, may not be as bad as yours, but I am an example of healing without surgery.

KetoneKaren, thanks for the explanation about the situation in Great Britain. I confess that I understand none of it well enough to have an opinion either way, so I appreciate what I learned from your post.

Barbie, I wonder if I will see your DH in Canada after the November election or if we're making the same threat with opposite candidates. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,685 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,794 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    just got back from running errands and early dinner.. now trying to get the grocery list and coupons together for tomorrow..., spend 50.00 bucks at Aldi's today, mostly stuff for Tom for the next couple of weeks.
    later on we will sit out on the deck and relax before bed..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,685 Member
    Options
    540.9miles done. going to ride our bikes to a friends get together today, it will be a nice easy ride. i'm in 6th place in the state so far :0)

lost my warpaint (make-up) bag awhile ago. never missed it cuz i hardly wear makeup anymore. had to go to walgreens to get mascara at least and a couple of other essentials so i don't look like a dog when we get there
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Looks like we are all in the same boat as far as weather. I hope no one is having problems with flooding.

Got our order from Essentials today. For those that don't know what that is, we have AARP United Health Care for our insurance and we get $50/every 3 months of over the counter things that are in their catalogue. Since we both have that insurance that means we both have that benefit every 3 months. So $100! There wasn't really anything that floated my boat so I ordered the same thing I put on my husband's order, 2 pair of Jobst black socks. They are $20/pair so I got him 4 pair. I also got bandaides, Afrin and soothing eye drops. If there was something that was $1 I would have got it since my order was $49.

The recliner is in the man cave! The cat is now on her usual spot and all is well.

Joyce, Indiana
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good eve,all.As usual,not doing a good job at keeping up with the posts.Sometimes wonder why I try,as it goes in one ear & out the other. Just like cartoons show. :|

We spent a wk with both DDs & hubs in NC,where the Fl DD & her hub moved to.His parents are from NC & still live in Fl,but he has a lot of aunts,uncles & cousins in the area.Our only Great Grand child was also visiting & a good time was had by all.Just under 8 hrs from our door to theirs.Way shorter than Fl. Still ---the best is getting home to our own place. :) Odd how age makes you prefer & appreciate peace & quiet.

Let me take that back,as a good book,a cup of tea on a rainy day has always been a great day for me at any age.

We box up clothing,household stuff for a vets group. They give to needy vets & never charge. Neighbors Granddaughter,BF,2 little ones & one on the way moved in with Grma 2 wks after Grpa passed away. She was telling me that she doesn't have a lot of kitchen tools anymore....going from just her to 3 adults/3 kids. So I was happy to have her go thru
    kitchen ware in my garage where she found a complete set of pots & pans,my slo cooker & 2 cookie sheets. She was tickled & that will help them out...a win.The Grma is around 70,working full time. The BF finally got a job.

Was glad to see the last of slo cooker. For low/slow...prefer the oven.Been enjoying learning with my Instant Pot.Have a small stand coming to keep it on.Kitchen is way small,but ok for just 2 ppl.

Weight has been holding steady,but that's ok....better than a gain. My body likes to slog along,then for some unknown reason,lose 2-3 pds. :o

Hope everyone has a good wkend.Gonna be a scorcher here in Ohio. Pat
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Becca – People will pay big money for cast iron pots and pans; I’d think a ‘wok’ would command even more. I buy a piece here and there (to leave to my boys). Doesn’t matter what shape they’re in … just have to season them; or burn off the crusty build-up. We make a fire in our fire pit; and, when it has burned down (but is still hot) we dig a hole in it and cover the pot/pan and it comes off with little bit a scraping. I’ve got 2 frying pans, a chicken frying pan (a little deeper), a covered big, deep dish, a couple of cornbread pans. They are way too heavy to hand on my pot rack, so they have a space in the lower cabinets. I am surprised at the number of pots and pans I have; but, so far haven’t figure out how to cull through them. I use them all the time. My DYS took my best ‘rice’ pot; but, now that there’s only the two of us, I use a different one in the same set; or I use one that Mimi gave me. Small with flat top. I’d use any of my cast iron pots/pans as a weapon, too.
    You raised your boys ‘right’ for sure. My DYS calls me sometimes during the middle of the day during the week. When he does that I know that he ‘is checking in on me and how I am feeling’. Otherwise he and DH or DOS talk to one another during the week. Sometimes he and DDnL#2 call us on the weekends. We have DOS, DDnL#1, and 3 DGDs (next door); one of them is ‘off’ at college. Proud of my ‘boys’ … we never had any serious problems with them. They know how to shake another’s hand (strongly) and look people in the eye. Of course, they are more tender with women’s hands … usually holding their hand and putting the other one on top. Not really ‘shaking’ but, acknowledgement.

Had supper cooked for us tonight by DOS on his ‘new’ grill he got for his birthday. He is ‘so’ proud of it; and, he is a fabulous cook. My DDnL#1 makes a ‘mean’ broccoli salad. It’s crunchy and good. She also makes a very good red potato salad.

I’ve gone over my CI (and although my CO has been pretty high) … I don’t ‘eat back my extra calories) … but, nurse/MD said that the closer I got to my goal and the more I exercised, I could take in more calories; but, I have not changed my ‘goal’ calories for the day. They’re still pretty low.

That way I don’t ‘beat up on myself’ for going over a few times a 2-week period between weigh-ins. I don’t get on my scales at home. I ‘might’ get on the scales in the lobby of Publix; but, I REALLY have to want to know where I am, to do that.

Drkatiebug and Marcelynn – I had heard so many ‘horror’ stories about rotator cuff surgery; peppered with an equal amount of reasons why I should have it done. The first OrthoMD that I went to wanted to schedule surgery for 3 days later. I had not even discussed it with my DH. I went the PT route; but, when I ‘decided’ that it was getting worse; and, made an appointment with him (I ended up seeing his ‘new’ partner) and he wanted to go through more PT. My arm was getting frozen up. This was my ‘dominant’ arm and the one that I painted and drew with. So I got my GP to make an appointment with another OrthoMD and went and got my records from the first one. I absolutely felt comfortable with the new OrthoMD; and, he x-rayed my shoulder in so many ‘different’ positions; and, then when he did the surgery (laparoscope) he found a chip in my shoulder bone (the ball) that was about the size of a dime. No wonder it was freezing up on me. Wearing the sling 24/7 was the roughest on me. Thankfully, I am ambidextrous. Then a few months later, had a seizure and had it done again. Both times I went through PT afterwards. I liked going to his office for it; but, did not like the ‘home PT people’, especially the ‘nurse’ who interviewed me. She ‘questioned’ why I was getting ‘home’ PT and I told her it was because I was on a ‘driving restriction’. The PT was the key to getting your range of motion back. Mine was nearly 100%.

Drkatiebug and Barbiecat – I am beginning to ‘hate’ all politicians and politics, in general. I’m thinking that their choices for VP is going to ‘make or break’ either one of them. They both need to have someone who can ‘tap’ their rhetoric back a little. I’m sure that Great Britain people feel the same way about staying in or pulling out of EU. Can’t please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Hello to all they 'newbies' and the 'ones that are coming back'. Tell us a few things about yourself, such as, what name do you prefer to be called, where you live (specific or general), family, hobbies, all that kind of stuff so we can get to know you.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    950031uf6l9pd3ly.gif It was a beautiful day for walking...my friend got back from Texas and came directly over to walk with me and tell me about her trip....the weather was perfect---65 degrees and sunny....the down side about the great weather was that other people were out walking, too, and Brandy found lots of dogs and people to bark at. We walked and talked for an hour and the dogs got to walk with us.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Joyce, I do think I remember someone looking up and finding the calories in a fingernail. That made me laugh again today. Thanks. laughing-at-someone-smiley-emoticon.gif

Lenora, I wondered what happened to all my money!!????

Marcelyn, sorry for the results of the MRI. At least it’s nice that the pain isn’t killing you like it would some people. Congrats on grandbaby #12, you greedy lady. Some of us have none. *sniff, sniff*smiley-face-crying.gif

Linda, have fun and enjoy all that exercise.

Penny, so glad you are having a grand time back in the USA. What a great picture of you and your daughter. Thanks for sharing.

CarolNC, I can’t believe it’s been a year since your surgery. You came through it like a champ!! ((((Hugs))))

NYKaren, I love the pictures. I’ll bet it seems like yesterday that she started school. She is a doll.

Becca, such a nice chat with your son. 

Pat, it is so good to hear from you. I miss you when you are MIA. That’s so nice that you could share the kitchen items with the neighbor.

Barbie, I’m glad you had such a beautiful day to walk and visit with your friend.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It is so nice to be caught up for two days in a row. I went to the gym today and worked out for a little over an hour. That is three times this week for the first time, plus two times line dancing. You’d think I could drop a pound! Grrrrr But the main thing is, I feel good. I’ve also been rather busy today working on both my volunteer jobs so I’m about ready for bed. Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! 65.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies;

Just checking in and saying Hello...Not much going on this weekend - the perfect weekend as far as I am concerned.

I was lazy yesterday, but, I got out to the gym today... so gold star for me.

Hugs all round!

Re in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of a Cardio Mashup DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some Windsor Pilates Basic DVD.

Went to the farmer's market. The guy with the corn on the cob was there -- I didn't expect him this early in the season. Last year he wasn't there until mid-July. Got the corn, some purple potatoes and beets. Boy, the other day I was lamenting that I didn't have enough veges in the house, now I can barely close the vege drawer!

Made this pie to take to the people who are hosting tonight, then cooked the beets and then corn on the cob then made a turkey meatloaf for us to have during the week. Got dinner ready to microwave, now on here for a bit.

Marcelyn - congrats! pip can tell you all about shoulder problems, she was amazing during her "procedure" and recovery. I have a pretty good tolerance for pain, too. I never take Novocaine when they're drilling to put in a crown or even a filling. Vince knows that when I say something hurts, it must hurt badly because I don't complain. When I had some teeth pulled once, the MD prescribed these pain pills. I never took them but got the prescription filled and Vince took them.

Dawn - I'm glad you're having fun in FL. There are a few Dawn Hanlon's on Facebook. Which one are you?

Carol in NC - now I remember you having that rotator cuff problem! I can't remember what I asked you. CRS right now

NYKaren - what a beautiful daughter you have there

Just got back from the blues concert at our friend's house.

Tomorrow we're supposed to go to a play at the Hickory Community Theater. In a way, I'm sad because I won't get to go in my pool. That'll be three days in a row of no pool -- bleh!

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies ... Just posting to say hello! Have lots to go back and read. Graduation ceremonies today for younger son. It was a good day but glad it's over.3ovalj21i14b.jpeg

Beth near Buffalo
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Beth, how did your son get a tie to match his graduation gown???

I am wanting a snack so bad. I guess I could get some carrots or small apple. We went to cracker Barrel tonight. I like to get those campfire meals. They have beef and chicken. I don't like the spices they put in the beef. They take the meat, add two small red potatoes, several carrots, 2 small corn cobettes a small tomato add spices and wrap it up in this heavy foil and I guess they bake it. They call them campfire meals but so far I haven't seen a campfire behind Cracker Barrel. The chicken is a 1/2 chicken. Last time I got one, the thigh was on top and the meat just falls off the bone so you don't have the luxury of removing the thigh to get to the breast. So I ate the thigh, one potato, half the carrots, one cobette and then left all the rest for Charlie for whenever he wanted it. So tonight i ordered it and it was different. The chicken on top was the breast meat. But that was all. So the waiter had them fix me another meal. So Charlie now has a lot to eat. We have enough that I can actually have have a meal if I want it. Michelle's room mate came over and helped her move our big recliner downstairs so we bought his supper. He had never been there. I have never met anyone who has never been to a Cracker Barrel. He was stoked when he saw a big breakfast menu. He is a little and I mean little guy from Thailand. He was adopted as a young child so he knows nothing about Thailand. I would imagine he is about 5 foot at the most and is such a tiny guy but is a cracker jack, strong as an ox. He pays Michelle $50/week to live in her house. He has a bedroom and of course freedom of the house. He loves the dogs and cat and if Michelle is gone with us for something, he takes care of her animals. She doesn't charge as much then. But where else can you get an apartment for $200/month.

Nite, nite all. Have a good weekend. Joyce, Indiana