sports bra to bed or no?

Options

Replies

• ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    ChxSurf782 wrote: »
    Totally a side note, but I wonder: If guys started a thread about type of underwear we do or do not wear to bed, complete with descriptions of the size of our package and how the support feels to us, would it be banned/locked?

I have nothing against this thread (it's fascinating really), but I have to assume that men would not be granted the same option to discuss their manhood. Or, am I wrong? :/

Try one and find out.

"Guys, what keeps you comfortable at night?"

I might just do that! However, there's a cultural double standard hidden here somewhere; I think that the discussion of "I have a large 8" penis and it's very uncomfortable for it to stick to my legs at night without support" is somehow less acceptable than "I have 34G breasts that I must keep from flopping around".

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either discussion, just curious if MFP agrees.

Mods? Thoughts?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Totally a side note, but I wonder: If guys started a thread about type of underwear we do or do not wear to bed, complete with descriptions of the size of our package and how the support feels to us, would it be banned/locked?

I have nothing against this thread (it's fascinating really), but I have to assume that men would not be granted the same option to discuss their manhood. Or, am I wrong? :/

Try one and find out.

I might just do that! However, there's a cultural double standard hidden here somewhere; I think that the discussion of "I have a large 8" penis and it's very uncomfortable for it to stick to my legs at night without support" is somehow less acceptable than "I have 34G breasts that I must keep from flopping around".

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either discussion, just curious if MFP agrees.

Mods? Thoughts?

Boobs are so innocuous. Tight shirts, cleavage and bikinis are commonplace. The same sort of exposure cannot be said for the penis. But I don't equate a penis to a set of breasts anyway. I equate a penis to a clitorus. In that case, I think a penis thread would last far longer than the latter.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Try one and find out.

Mods? Thoughts?

You have to realize that breast are not sex organs. They are bags of fat that are meant to feed children. Humans made them sexual, but their purpose has nothing to do with sex. So making a thread talking about a sex organ will probably be treated differently than a thread asking for advice about which bra provides the most support for working out or getting a good night's sleep.

It also depends on what the response to a post is. This entire thread has been nothing but respectful while discussing the pros and cons about wearing a bra to sleep. If it veered into vulgarity, I'm sure the mods will shut it down.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Try one and find out.

Mods? Thoughts?

Boobs are so innocuous. Tight shirts, cleavage and bikinis are commonplace. The same sort of exposure cannot be said for the penis. But I don't equate a penis to a set of breasts anyway. I equate a penis to a clitorus. In that case, I think a penis thread would last far longer than the latter.

That's lengthist.

LOL
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Try one and find out.

Mods? Thoughts?

That's lengthist.

NM, between work and school, I think I need to be done today. I can't seem to brain.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

Try one and find out.

Mods? Thoughts?

This. Plus, the reason why women are giving their bra size is to give a frame of reference to say this brand or this store carries sizes that cater more to your needs. Once you go beyond the D cup the options a woman has to find a bra that will fit is cut in half, whether that's due to brands not creating bras beyond that size or stores not carrying beyond that size. Men can go into any store that sells men's clothing and find underwear that fit, the same cannot be said for women. This is why we give our sizes, it's not for bragging rights.

If you want to talk about double standards talk about how a man's orgasm face is categorized as PG-13 in a movie, but a woman's is R or NC-17. That's a fact. Or let's talk about the fact that women don't make as much money as men do for the same job. Or we can talk about the pink tax.

If you want a thread for advice on underwear options, no one is stopping you. Just keep it respectful. It's as simple as starting a thread with the header: Guys, Boxers, Briefs, Nothing and wait for the responses. As long as the responses stay respectful, I doubt the mods will shut it down.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Try one and find out.

Mods? Thoughts?

That's lengthist.

:drinker:
  • ChxSurf782
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Try one and find out.

Mods? Thoughts?

You have to realize that breast are not sex organs. They are bags of fat that are meant to feed children. Humans made them sexual, but their purpose has nothing to do with sex. So making a thread talking about a sex organ will probably be treated differently than a thread asking for advice about which bra provides the most support for working out or getting a good night's sleep.

It also depends on what the response to a post is. This entire thread has been nothing but respectful while discussing the pros and cons about wearing a bra to sleep. If it veered into vulgarity, I'm sure the mods will shut it down.

Yes, breasts have a function to feed children, but scientists say that they evolutionally developed to mimmick the buttocks which have had a sexual attraction purpose since the beginning of time. Additionally, they are highly erogenous to most women, despite their "functional" purpose in child-rearing.

Also lost in your straw man, is that "sex organ" is the primary focus. The issue is - with ANY body parts - that they can simply get in the way. Boobs are boobs, man parts are man parts. They get in the way of sleep, exercise, and daily activity and are yet both used in the context of sexual interaction. To me, vulgarity is all about context...but many hear "penis" and think it is vulgar, and God forbid you use slang for the male penis.

Interesting conversation, to be sure! :)

• jdhcm2006
    Options

Try one and find out.

Mods? Thoughts?

Yes, breasts have a function to feed children, but scientists say that they evolutionally developed to mimmick the buttocks which have had a sexual attraction purpose since the beginning of time. Additionally, they are highly erogenous to most women, despite their "functional" purpose in child-rearing.

Also lost in your straw man, is that "sex organ" is the primary focus. The issue is - with ANY body parts - that they can simply get in the way. Boobs are boobs, man parts are man parts. They get in the way of sleep, exercise, and daily activity and are yet both used in the context of sexual interaction. To me, vulgarity is all about context...but many hear "penis" and think it is vulgar, and God forbid you use slang for the male penis.

Question: have you tried to make the thread? Or are you just making an assumption that it will get shut down?
  • ChxSurf782
    edited June 2016
    Options
    1) Not true on the underwear affront. More and more specialty websites are starting to cater to men who find that the typical department store offerings are either not comfortable, not supportive, or some combination thereof. Assuming that one pair of guys underwear will fit anyone as long as the waistband size is correct is as inaccurate as assuming that every woman can find her size in the standard store offerings.

2) You are correct about the double standards; however the movie ratings, salary, and pink tax are certainly for another thread! :)

I'm just over here wondering aloud; no offense intended. Much love!
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've always worn a bra to bed. I'm a 34DD, but I don't do it for support or anything. It's just more comfortable to me to wear a bra to bed usually. Everyone is different though
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    1) Not true on the underwear affront. More and more specialty websites are starting to cater to men who find that the typical department store offerings are either not comfortable, not supportive, or some combination thereof. Assuming that one pair of guys underwear will fit anyone as long as the waistband size is correct is as inaccurate as assuming that every woman can find her size in the standard store offerings.

2) You are correct about the double standards; however the movie ratings, salary, and pink tax are certainly for another thread! :)

But now I'm curious, why don't you start the thread asking for advice on men's underwear and see what happens. Then we would know if there was a double standard or not. If it got shut down, then the mods would have to give a reason, and then you could say "hey that's a double standard b/c of x, y, & z." If it doesn't get shut down, then you know there's no double standard at all.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nope and I'm a DD. I remember growing up hearing that they had to be supported at all times otherwise you get breast cancer WTF!! Something to do with sagging I think
  • ChxSurf782
    Options

But now I'm curious, why don't you start the thread asking for advice on men's underwear and see what happens. Then we would know if there was a double standard or not. If it got shut down, then the mods would have to give a reason, and then you could say "hey that's a double standard b/c of x, y, & z." If it doesn't get shut down, then you know there's no double standard at all.

Honestly, I don't want to troll. Haha. I personally am very affirmed in my choices of underwear or not, and if I asked it would be purely to see a reaction. I'm quite sure that impetus would disqualify me from the posting, as MFP states:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Try one and find out.

Mods? Thoughts?

Those "scientists" are full of it, it's an excuse for them to stare at boobs all day long. NTTAWWT.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction/lift 10 years ago. My plastic surgeon told me that wearing a sports bra or supportive leisure bra to bed at night will help keep the Cooper's ligament tight to keep breasts firmer and perkier. An unsupported Cooper's ligament will lead to sagging. I don't sleep in a high impact sports bra, that would be too constricting, but I do sleep in a more comfortable sports bra from Old Navy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I'm a 42 B ~ C and take off my bra the second I get home. I had a smaller housemate who did the same thing - she'd have it off before she made it to her bedroom, using the unhook-and-remove-via-sleeves method.

Needless to say, I do not wear any sort of bra to bed.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's a personal decision..for me it's no bra or no wearing anything in bed actually :smiley: . it would be a bit of a passion killer wearing one? Imo