sports bra to bed or no?

Options

Replies

• YourBeautiful2
    YourBeautiful2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a DD and if I wear one at night I wake up in the mornings so sore, I've never tried wearing a light sports bra though so I can't knock it ... I've only slept in the underwire type ones.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    If women can't wait to take their bra's off because they're uncomfortable, aren't they wearing the wrong size? A well fitting bra should feel 'invisible'.

I wish!!

Been wearing the things for over 3 decades, all different kinds and sizes and materials in the hopes that maybe this one might work, and not one of them ever felt even remotely 'invisible' or like a second skin.

They all feel like they are trying to dig a trench between my ribs.

When I cracked my ribs a few years ago, I wore fitted T-shirts with a looser top over because I simply could not wear a bra at all. My ribs were painful enough without adding the discomfort of a bra band to the situation.

... but I've never had any piece of clothing that I thought felt invisible. I find most clothing a bit uncomfortable after a while which is why I never wear the same outfit all day.

Yeah, me too.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I do not like sleeping in bras, and I do not like walking around without one. I have fairly large breasts (currently a 34 D3 universal sizing, but I maxed out at a 40 J!).

Although generously endowed, my breasts were pretty firm and perky.. into my late twenties. As I edged over 30 (and started gaining some serious weight) they became quite full and, well, disappointingly droopy. Now, while I look amazing in a supportive bra and clothes, they sag and are deflated quite a bit. I don't miss the J cup, not one bit, and I wouldn't trade and go back to that for all the tea in China. But they aren't what they were 15 years ago, and I can't even blame babies as I've had none. It IS however pretty clear to me the phenomenon was related to my weight gain and loss. Age and genetics, and the abuse of having overinflated them with too much good eating. C'est la vie.

During the day I wear an underwire, and they're just rude to sleep in, all pokey and stiff. I've tried sleeping in sports/leisure/sleep bras many times over the years but I tend to get heat rashes from having things be all squished in. The scientific literature links breast ptosis to weight, age, genetics, smoking, tanning, and diet.. but not to bra-wearing. So there's that, too.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If women can't wait to take their bra's off because they're uncomfortable, aren't they wearing the wrong size? A well fitting bra should feel 'invisible'.

Why would a bra feel invisible when other clothing does not?

Because it feels like a second skin to me. Like i said, It's uncomfortable to NOT wear a bra for me, and I'm pretty sure I'm wearing the wrong size to boot, as I've never been measured professionally.

I'm not comfortable without a bra if I am awake. It doesn't really feel like a second skin though to me.
    A sports bra is more uncomfortable to wear than my regular bra. I can only stand a sports bra for a couple of hours. My regular bra is fine all day.
    I think I have some sensory issues with clothes and bedding at night. I do have to wear clothes to sleep but they need to be looser. I'm particular about my pillows and sheets as well. I might be able to wear a soft light leisure bra or camisole but definitely not a sports bra.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a petition to set them free. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    ChxSurf782 wrote: »
    Totally a side note, but I wonder: If guys started a thread about type of underwear we do or do not wear to bed, complete with descriptions of the size of our package and how the support feels to us, would it be banned/locked?

I have nothing against this thread (it's fascinating really), but I have to assume that men would not be granted the same option to discuss their manhood. Or, am I wrong? :/

Wouldn't the equivalent be men talking about their breasts/chests?
    Yeah there are double standards from the beginning. Your profile photo for example. The community guidelines state "no close-up shots of cleavage, butt, breasts or crotch in any state of dress" but you can post a photo of a naked male chest and I couldn't post the same pose of my female naked chest without the photo being considered inappropriate.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Because it feels like a second skin to me. Like i said, It's uncomfortable to NOT wear a bra for me, and I'm pretty sure I'm wearing the wrong size to boot, as I've never been measured professionally.

I'm not comfortable without a bra if I am awake. It doesn't really feel like a second skin though to me.
    A sports bra is more uncomfortable to wear than my regular bra. I can only stand a sports bra for a couple of hours. My regular bra is fine all day.
    I think I have some sensory issues with clothes and bedding at night. I do have to wear clothes to sleep but they need to be looser. I'm particular about my pillows and sheets as well. I might be able to wear a soft light leisure bra or camisole but definitely not a sports bra.

Yeah ... no lace, trim, buttons, ribbons, tight waist bands, arms that fit snugly, collars, hoods ... nothing that is going to bunch or restrict or anything like that.

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I read a medically backed article that going braless is much healthier and allows your breasts to stay perkier as the muscles holding them remain stronger. I only wear a bra when I go to work.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    I read a medically backed article that going braless is much healthier and allows your breasts to stay perkier as the muscles holding them remain stronger. I only wear a bra when I go to work.

Pretty sure that's false.
  • AlciaMode
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Pretty sure you are wrong.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/138979-6-benefits-of-going-braless

University of Franche-Comté professor Jean-Denis Rouillon conducted a 15 year study into the effects of bras on breasts in that period of time. He found that there were no benefits to bra wearing, and said, "Medically, physiologically, anatomically, the breast does not benefit from being deprived of gravity."

In the same study, Roullion found that not wearing a bra actually made women's breasts stronger. The long term effects of not wearing a bra showed that more muscle tissue grew to provide natural support. Skip the weight machines at the gym, just throw out your bra! (Or don't, as the study advises those wearing bras consistently past a certain age won't reap the benefits of suddenly going braless — you have to start early!)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I wear a comfy one to bed every night. I like the support.
    Husband has no problem there. ;)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

University of Franche-Comté professor Jean-Denis Rouillon conducted a 15 year study into the effects of bras on breasts in that period of time. He found that there were no benefits to bra wearing, and said, "Medically, physiologically, anatomically, the breast does not benefit from being deprived of gravity."

In the same study, Roullion found that not wearing a bra actually made women's breasts stronger. The long term effects of not wearing a bra showed that more muscle tissue grew to provide natural support. Skip the weight machines at the gym, just throw out your bra! (Or don't, as the study advises those wearing bras consistently past a certain age won't reap the benefits of suddenly going braless — you have to start early!)

Oh yeah that website is legit. :laugh:
  • AlciaMode
    Options

Oh yeah that website is legit. :laugh:

The website is irrelevant, the institute publishing the research is. But you believe what you wish it matters none to me.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Yep, but I have been measured professionally ever since I was out of college. Nordstrom is my BFF.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I only wear a sports bra to bed if I'm planning on getting up early in the AM to exercise. I sleep in my workout clothes so I just add socks and shoes and I'm ready to go.

^^This
  • Spunkie__Munkie
    Spunkie__Munkie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I don't wear one to bed.

Mine usually end up thrown in the back seat of my car. I can't be asked to wear them all day much less at night.. sometimes they end up in my purse while at work. I'm in shock at the number of people who "keep the girls locked up". Are they in jail?
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    Totally a side note, but I wonder: If guys started a thread about type of underwear we do or do not wear to bed, complete with descriptions of the size of our package and how the support feels to us, would it be banned/locked?

I have nothing against this thread (it's fascinating really), but I have to assume that men would not be granted the same option to discuss their manhood. Or, am I wrong? :/

Try one and find out.

"Guys, what keeps you comfortable at night?"

I might just do that! However, there's a cultural double standard hidden here somewhere; I think that the discussion of "I have a large 8" penis and it's very uncomfortable for it to stick to my legs at night without support" is somehow less acceptable than "I have 34G breasts that I must keep from flopping around".

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either discussion, just curious if MFP agrees.

Mods? Thoughts?

I do believe you have a point, certainly. There are gender differences in what is perceived as acceptable. There are also gender differences in society as a whole. I'm not saying it's okay, but then no one here is talking about keeping their kitten covered at night either. I suspect that may also get shut down fast too, depending on the attention grabbing title.

We do regularly have threads regarding which is a better bra for running, without a male counterpoint. I guess the question is how unruly is the little guy?

As a side note, if my boobs were sticking to my legs, I would be more inclined to wear a bra to bed. :laugh:
    lmao

• Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Who's going to play with them if you keep them locked up?

This... in CAPS
  • Machka9
    edited June 2016
    Options

Yes.

Seems to work. :)