Options
1235»

Replies

• miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If salt isn't a problem, consider puppodums. It's an Indian food. I usually get Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums. Each one is a flat disk about the diameter of a small corn tortilla, but thinner. You put them in the microwave (briefly, watching carefully, because they burn quickly). In 30 seconds or so, it will puff slightly, turn wrinkly, and grow a bit. It's salty, slightly spicy, 20 calories each, and (because it's mostly chickpea flour) has about 1.5g protein, 3.3g carbs.

Also worth trying: this recipe for Dorito flavored popcorn. I wouldn't say it tastes exactly like Doritos, but it's pretty darned good.

Do you mind telling me the brand you get, especially the one that's spicy? Would these be sturdy enough to to be like a tostada? To hold like mashed beans and shredded chicken?

I did. Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums. Amazon has them here.

No, I don't think they would be sturdy enough to substitute for a tostada - think of them as a giant chip. They're very crispy, and once microwaved, not at all flat.

Personally, I don't find Food for Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas excessively caloric to use in tostadas, at 60 calories each. They crisp up decently (not quite like fully fried ones, though) in a dry cast-iron frying pan.

Sorry, I started Googling what puppodums were right away and I guess I glazed over the name... lol Thanks, I'll see if I can get my hands on some! I might also try the Dorito popcorn but without the nutritional yeast.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you want crunch then toast your bread and add some onion, lettuce and tomato or thin sliced greenhouse cucumber. Stay away from the chips. All of them.
    Have an apple after. Try and get some nutrition in that crunch. No chips for me, thank you
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. Chips are amazing. Try avocado oil potato chips. Or homemade sweet potato chips! The bomb!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I've tried many substitutes. They're just nothing like a Wise potato chip every once and while. I work them in as everyone else has suggested; sometimes I'll eat popcorn if I feel the need for salty snacks.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    At lunch time, I have a "side" dish so to speak. If I'm having bagels or wraps, I'll have carrot and Celery sticks and a boiled Egg. That generally only comes to about 100 calories which isn't bad compared to chips or a bag of crisps. If I'm having salad, I'll have walkers sunbites flavoured popcorn (about 70-80 calories flavour dependant) or walkers sunbites flavoured popped triangles which are literally just like crisps/dorritos but only similar calories to the popcorn. I do buy other brands than walkers sunbites and there are some other great alternatives, but I'm a bit addicted to these at the moment just because they have so much flavour
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I love crunchy stuff to eat with my meals, especially with sandwiches. Now that I'm counting calories, chips are just not worth eating. I've tried having baby carrots with my sandwiches and that helps, and air popped popcorn, but plain is not great and adding butter or coconut oil adds too many calories. Any ideas?

I love to eat carrot sticks with sandwiches. You could also eat cucumber or cut up bell peppers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    If salt isn't a problem, consider puppodums. It's an Indian food. I usually get Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums. Each one is a flat disk about the diameter of a small corn tortilla, but thinner. You put them in the microwave (briefly, watching carefully, because they burn quickly). In 30 seconds or so, it will puff slightly, turn wrinkly, and grow a bit. It's salty, slightly spicy, 20 calories each, and (because it's mostly chickpea flour) has about 1.5g protein, 3.3g carbs.

Also worth trying: this recipe for Dorito flavored popcorn. I wouldn't say it tastes exactly like Doritos, but it's pretty darned good.

Do you mind telling me the brand you get, especially the one that's spicy? Would these be sturdy enough to to be like a tostada? To hold like mashed beans and shredded chicken?

I did. Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums. Amazon has them here.

No, I don't think they would be sturdy enough to substitute for a tostada - think of them as a giant chip. They're very crispy, and once microwaved, not at all flat.

Personally, I don't find Food for Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas excessively caloric to use in tostadas, at 60 calories each. They crisp up decently (not quite like fully fried ones, though) in a dry cast-iron frying pan.

Sorry, I started Googling what puppodums were right away and I guess I glazed over the name... lol Thanks, I'll see if I can get my hands on some! I might also try the Dorito popcorn but without the nutritional yeast.

Gotta say, the nutritional yeast is one part that makes them taste somewhat Dorito-like, and it also adds a little protein, but it's your call - I'm assuming you don't care for it.
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Here we have smart food popcorn in different flavours for 35 calories a cup
  • jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Instead of chips get se nice firm grapes to snack on :)
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Here we have smart food popcorn in different flavours for 35 calories a cup

I found this too! It's pretty good and with my scale I can adjust to have a full serving or just a handful or so to get have a crunchy salty treat. Hits the spot!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned the Actifry? It uses just a tablespoon of oil and cooks up several potatoes at once. If you love chips so much it might be worth the investment.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Fresh Gourmet Asiago Cheese Crisps!!!! Nothing but yummy 100% salty crunchy bits of cheesy heaven!!! 30 cal for 5g which equaled out to 4-5 crisps. They are about the size of a quarter, so not really big but nothing but cheese! A few really satisfy my crunch craving!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Terra makes an all natural sweet potato chip that has no other ingredients except a little oil. I will eat these when I must have something crunchy/chip like, but only once in a while.

If you buy a dehydrater you can make your own! I just bought one and I'm experimenting with it.

I do like kale "chips" too, they aren't the best substitution but they are pretty tasty.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I cut out the bread to my sandwiches and make lettuce wraps so i can have chips
  • tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have fries instead. Red bell pepper fries. I slice the fresh bell pepper into strips and dip it either in a serving size of ranch dressing or hummus. It still gives the crunch factor while giving me lots of added vitamin c and great taste.