Breastfeeding in Public....

Options

Replies

• StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding is normal, natural and all that stuff......however for us people who don't like babies in general and particularly dislike all the little sounds they make, having someone feed a baby (breast or bottle) nearby can be quite a nauseating experience.

So my view on public breastfeeding is that, just as there are 'family friendly' establishments, those of us who are gloriously childfree often welcome 'family hostile' establishments. One of my favourite pubs has a huge blackboard outside declaring that dogs are welcome, but not children...and it's an extremely popular pub! So in essence, you want to feed your baby in public, you go for it....but please, for the love of everything unholy, leave some little corners - the odd restaurant, cafe or bar - for those of us just don't share your love of your child.

This made me LOL!

I am childfree, so I totally agree with having some "child free zones" in general (like when I go to the spa to RELAX...) but at the same time, I work in Women's Health, so I am decidedly "Pro-Breast-feeding". I've just always been perplexed by the seemingly unique-to-America hypocrisy regarding breasts. Boobs are slathered ALL OVER everything....billboards, car ads, men's magazines, women's magazines, etc, etc, etc....and no one blinks an eye. Yet, a woman uses her breasts for what they were actually INTENDED, and all the sudden it's "offensive", "lewd", or "distracting", etc. Just seems.....weird.

I will even admit that I have been guilty of having the thought in my brain that a mom should "take it somewhere else" when I saw a very, very large woman (who, frankly, probably needed to breast feed for financial reasons as well) breast-feeding in the middle of a very small restaurant. It was an unfortunate situation, as the hostess had made the poor choice of seating the family at the middle table of the restaurant. Because she was a large woman AND she was breast feeding, she needed to push back from the table almost 2 feet.....making all subsequent patrons have to squeeze behind her chair to get to the tables beyond. Because she was large, her breast was quite obvious, even though the baby was appropriately latched. I felt horrible for her. She was doing something normal and natural, but the whole situation was quite uncomfortable for everyone in this small restaurant. I kept thinking that if they had just seated them at one of the side tables, the whole situation could have been avoided....but I have to assume the Mom didn't exactly announce that she was planning on breastfeeding while having lunch.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I just think it's funny; I bet it's those same parents worry about a strip club existing within city limits that say it's fine to breastfeed in public. Hmmm...

I travel a lot and unfortunately, see a lot of unwanted boob.

Except there is a difference between strip clubs (exploiting women for sexual desires) and breastfeeding (showing less boob than you would see at the mall to feed a baby).

So far though I'm pretty surprised at the responses (though I have only got to the end of the first page)... most seem to view it as a negative thing (in general, but not here in this thread)... and while I personally didn't and wouldn't do it with my toddler, I don't care if mothers do it with theirs. I would never ask a mother to feed her child in a bathroom or a hot car because I "might" be uncomfortable when I can just look away and ignore it.... besides most of the time, you don't even realize the mother is doing more than just holding her baby in the first place.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have been with my husband for 4 years now, we have been married 1. As someone who wants a baby pretty badly but is trying to wait until we're a little more secure (i.e. have a house mostly) I will tell you that I often have dreams about breast feeding. Now I have been told that it hurts. But I'm willing to deal with it if it means having that connection with my son or daughter.

As far as breastfeeding in public... I don't know if it's something I could do. And I've actually never seen it myself. It probably wouldn't bother me, I just wouldn't look.

I don't know if it's been answered yet as I just got to this point (btw I have so much :heart: for this thread right now)... but for me, it did at first, but then after a while it really didn't hurt at all... only when she would bite. If it does hurt, I would suggest seeing a Lactation Consultant... or probably even the OB/GYN or Ped (in case there are tongue tie or other issues).
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    To anyone who would think a woman should go in a bathroom, imagine yourself holding a baby. You head into the bathroom. Where the heck do you sit to feed the baby? Do you sit on the toilet and feed there (public restrooms often don't even have a lid to cover the toilet, ew -- if so, pants on or pants off -- just ew).

Babies need to eat, period.

I have breastfed all three and for convenience reasons, I usually make sure they're fed before we leave, but on instances where they had to eat, I found a bench and fed them. I am not "flashing" anyone or putting myself out there -- just feeding my baby. I put a blankie over my tummy, but since my babies weren't used to having blankets over their heads when eating at home, that was not about to be an option, ever.

The more women breastfeed in public, the more normal it becomes, as it SHOULD, because it's a beautiful, natural thing. This wouldn't even be a question on here if more and more women did it. Nobody questions a mom bottle feeding in public, and likewise, the same should go for a nursing mother.

Go boobies. :)
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Why is this even a topic? should we discuss whether it's ok to bottle-feed your baby in public also? I see no difference.

love this reply!!!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    To anyone who would think a woman should go in a bathroom, imagine yourself holding a baby. You head into the bathroom. Where the heck do you sit to feed the baby? Do you sit on the toilet and feed there (public restrooms often don't even have a lid to cover the toilet, ew -- if so, pants on or pants off -- just ew).

Babies need to eat, period.

I have breastfed all three and for convenience reasons, I usually make sure they're fed before we leave, but on instances where they had to eat, I found a bench and fed them. I am not "flashing" anyone or putting myself out there -- just feeding my baby. I put a blankie over my tummy, but since my babies weren't used to having blankets over their heads when eating at home, that was not about to be an option, ever.

The more women breastfeed in public, the more normal it becomes, as it SHOULD, because it's a beautiful, natural thing. This wouldn't even be a question on here if more and more women did it. Nobody questions a mom bottle feeding in public, and likewise, the same should go for a nursing mother.

Go boobies. :)

Agreed. I am pleasantly surprised by how well this thread is going. It seems to me that public opinion is slowly changing and becoming more enlightened on the subject, which I think is awesome.

I also concur that more women should breastfeed in public! My hope is for discussions like this to one day seem odd and slightly inappropriate because nursing your baby as nature intended will just be what women do, no matter where they happen to be when baby gets hungry. Women should be supported no matter how they choose to feed thier babies and should be only as "discreet" as they see fit.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    in Ontario it's no longer illegal for women to go topless in public......

That's a whole 'nuther interesting debate we might delve into..... :flowerforyou:

I call bs on that. I never heard of that.

It's legal for women to go topless in TEXAS. There was a group of topless women protesting BP right down the street from me. It might get you stares and comments, and a cop who doesn't know better might harass you, but it's completely legal. There's also a law specifically protecting the right to breastfeed your baby any place where you and your baby would otherwise be allowed to be.

I've breastfed five babies in public. I never bothered with blankets or cover-ups after the first month or so with my first baby, but it's not like I took off my whole shirt and bra. Most people never even realized I was nursing -- more than once I had someone come up to talk to me or see the baby and say, "Oh, sorry I didn't realize he was eating."

Besides, does ANYTHING scream, "I'm breastfeeding a baby over here!" like covering yourself and your baby with a blanket? Especially if said baby keeps trying to remove the blanket! I mean, I don't have a problem with it if it makes the mom comfortable or helps the baby not get distracted, but it's NOT the height of discreet breastfeeding, LOL.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I also find it rather ironic that the 'eww cover-up' comments have been from women. Young women at that. The men are all supportive for the most parts. I wonder if this has something to do with women hating their bodies. Maybe they are just projecting? Usually when I see something I don't like I use my well developed neck and eye muscles to look in a different direction. Takes way less energy that being offended by something you can do nothing about.
  • Rubyayn
    Options

Besides, does ANYTHING scream, "I'm breastfeeding a baby over here!" like covering yourself and your baby with a blanket? Especially if said baby keeps trying to remove the blanket! I mean, I don't have a problem with it if it makes the mom comfortable or helps the baby not get distracted, but it's NOT the height of discreet breastfeeding, LOL.

No kidding. It sounds discreet, but in practice... not so much.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Oddly I am more embarrassed about my stomach hanging out of the bottom of my shirt on a daily basis, or while nursing than my my boobs....I guess I am just more self conscious of my stomach!

I had twins neither who would tolerate a cover well, nor did I care for it. it just caused more problems for us,. I would use it to let them latch for my comfort, as I was not comfortable with showing nipple. But once they were latched I could care less, about skin showing, With nursing tops the coverage was actually better than my swimsuit on a good day at the beach (those I feel naked in! LOL) . However if I did not have a cover and they were hungry and push came to shove I would not hesitate to latch and nurse with out a cover, only did it a few times.

besides when you nurse twins, in public you could be covering them with a full size comforter and people are going to stare...Meh I just smile and go about my job :)

I nursed my twin boys till they weaned at 2 1/2 both tandem and individually depending on their schedule in public, in private and in restrooms, during meals. where ever. No big whoop for me. most people didn"t pay mind, some were caught off guard and other are rude....I guess I encounter the same mix of people daily with out with out nursing twins :) Its part of society to deal with our likes and dislikes in a social setting.

I think alot is how you handle it.

My Husband on the other hand was completely uncomfortable even if I was nursing and they were hiding under full size comforter, he was uncomfortable. Sometime he was so uncomfortable with me nursing,he would inadvertantly draw more attention to me. Even if I was covered up, he felt everyone knew what I was doing and that in itself was outlandish and offensive. But he tends to have more of his own personal body issues, so I presume he is adding his own self issues into the topic. plus he was pretty much raised to be ashamed of the human body, from what I can tell. Me not so much there are parts of my body i would change but I appreciate my body flaws and all. So that could explain the difference and lack of support.

as for public restrooms, I have a hard time finding one that is suitable for me to take a crap or pee in, let alone nurse in. Also most public toilets are a little hard on the *kitten* to sit that long, or as your kid moves the damn toilet starts flushing underneath you now your pants are full of water from the over jelous flushing of the automated toilet, and hopfuly not pee from the seat from the person who hovered above it before you. And then there is the loud decible flushing noises in some bathroom that would distract anyone. and there is not back support which is important for alot of nursing moms, and trying balancing twins while nursing in a stall with no back support or arm support.....mmmm no thanks. and that is not to mention the person next to you experiencing custards last stand....or the person who is afraid to pee in public who is on pins and needles waiting to pee in the stall next to you as you nurse!! Not to mention that most restrooms are with out heat or have way too much air conditioning for such a small area. Oh and how about places with one bathroom that everyone shares!! knock kock walk of shame by the people that are waiting in line to take a duce in the one stall while you nurse LOL but if nursing in a restroom stall if you thing...nurse on mama...nurse on!

As for nursing rooms/stations there are not that many available, from what I experienced. Most of them I could not access as needed. say the mall of america i was never on the level or side of store as the 1 store with the nice clean nursing area. and If I was with friends or family I was not going to leave them on another level just to go find the nursing station somewhere in the mall when I could nurse decretely and easily where i was, but I can see why some prefer them.

But my job was to fed my babies and they would not take bottles, could not tolerate formula, and my expressed milk was not accepted as we found out because I had an extra enzyme in my milk, So any milk i expressed had to be boiled before storing to break down the enzyme, and with a milk supply large enough to nurse twins AND fill the bottom half of a large deep freeze 2 bags high....I did not have time to boil all that milk and nurse and change diapers etc. Sadly everything I expressed prior to learning about the enzyme had to be tossed out...that killed me!

I support parents plain and simple. Its tough any judgments I have I keep it to myself unless asked and understand that each kid is different and they are just trying to keep their heads above water. So breastfeeding, bottle feeding, Public, not public, attachment or tiger mom....don"t care its all parenting :) Sorry I am wordy and can type a lot...can"t help it :(

Did you really need to write an essay lol but good read and I do agree with you.
  • ChuckNourish
    Options
    WHAT THE FUUUUUCCKKKKKK

THIS IS NOT BABYCENTER.COM

GTFO with these topics.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    WHAT THE FUUUUUCCKKKKKK

THIS IS NOT BABYCENTER.COM

GTFO with these topics.

You did not need to click on this thread. So you GTFO. *Smh*
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yay or Nay? Discuss....

Oh, you must love stirring things up, don't chya!??

Well, in MY OPINION, I don't think it's appropriate. And yes, I am a female. How are female's boobs obscene in any other manner publicly, but not while breastfeeding? I mean, some places are okay, but some are not. Like a woman sitting in an entrance way of a restaurant, breastfeeding her kid. How's that appropriate? Very appetizing for some people, I'm sure.

I know it may seem to be inconvenient to breastfeed in a restroom or something, but it was your decision to have children. And guess what? Children create many inconveniences to their parents. Hell, life is inconvenient in general.

So, bottom line, I say NAY!!!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Restrooms are nasty germ fests, no way in heck I ever fed my child in there. Would you eat your own lunch in a restroom?

I fed all five of mine all over creations, planes, trains, parks, restaurants, airport terminals, libraries. I fed multiple children at a time. I breastfed my oldest until four (everyone else was weaned just after two, my oldest was especially emotionally needy). I tandemed my first two, my oldest weaning when my second child was one. I taught my preemie babies (32 weekers) to nurse and went from pumping and partial bottle feeding to nursing both full time when my guys were two months old.

Just a few of my opinions. The US is really weird about breasts. There's a phobia like obsession within the US culture about *gasp* feeding babies. I did my best to be discreet. With my twins there was NO discretion when both were attached, I stayed home frequently.

I just have to put out there for all the "Just pump and bottle feed" people, that pumping is a lot of work. Plus pumping doesn't build your supply like a baby sucking. From the tap is the easiest, most convenient way to feed a baby.
  • michelleepotter
    Options
    Like a woman sitting in an entrance way of a restaurant, breastfeeding her kid. How's that appropriate?

I agree, very inappropriate for anyone to sit in the entrance way of a restaurant, breastfeeding or not. Get out of the way and go sit at a table!

LOL.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yay or Nay? Discuss....

Well, in MY OPINION, I don't think it's appropriate. And yes, I am a female. How are female's boobs obscene in any other manner publicly, but not while breastfeeding? I mean, some places are okay, but some are not. Like a woman sitting in an entrance way of a restaurant, breastfeeding her kid. How's that appropriate? Very appetizing for some people, I'm sure.

I know it may seem to be inconvenient to breastfeed in a restroom or something, but it was your decision to have children. And guess what? Children create many inconveniences to their parents. Hell, life is inconvenient in general.

My breasts are not obscene and I disagree strongly with anyone who says they are. Just because a bunch of stupid people like to label breasts things that can only be sexual doesn't mean that they are. Their natural purpose is to feed children. And breastfeeding is definitely not obscene by any rational definition. Come February when I have my baby I will be breastfeeding. And if my baby happens to get hungry in public I will absolutely NOT go into some filthy public restroom to feed her (hoping for a girl).

And if anyone happens to look at me whilst I'm breastfeeding and think or even say 'that's disgusting' or if they think something sexual of me breastfeeding my baby, well, they're the ones with the problem, not me.

By the way, as I am breastfeeding my baby sitting inside the entrance to that restaurant I will just smile at you as walk by with a disgusted look on your face, and think to myself how sad it is that you've been so badly brainwashed by society that you think that feeding a baby the natural way in public is somehow inappropriate.
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yay or Nay? Discuss....

My breasts are not obscene and I disagree strongly with anyone who says they are. Just because a bunch of stupid people like to label breasts things that can only be sexual doesn't mean that they are. Their natural purpose is to feed children. And breastfeeding is definitely not obscene by any rational definition. Come February when I have my baby I will be breastfeeding. And if my baby happens to get hungry in public I will absolutely NOT go into some filthy public restroom to feed her (hoping for a girl).

And if anyone happens to look at me whilst I'm breastfeeding and think or even say 'that's disgusting' or if they think something sexual of me breastfeeding my baby, well, they're the ones with the problem, not me.

By the way, as I am breastfeeding my baby sitting inside the entrance to that restaurant I will just smile at you as walk by with a disgusted look on your face, and think to myself how sad it is that you've been so badly brainwashed by society that you think that feeding a baby the natural way in public is somehow inappropriate.

@Pamela, when I nursed my kids in public I showed less skin than the female in your profile pic is showing. Much, much less. You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm just sayin. :wink:

@Unwrapping, amen sista.
  • michelleepotter
    Options
    Also this:

Ew. A public bathroom is possibly the WORST place to breastfeed a baby. It's not a matter of convenience, but of unnecessarily exposing little babies (whose immune systems are not fully developed) to unsanitary conditions. (And there's a big difference between taking your baby into a restroom to change his diaper or so you can use the facilities and taking him in there to eat. For one thing, nursing takes much longer, so there's more exposure to germs.) I'd stop short of calling it bad parenting, but only because our society has unfortunately convinced good mothers that they need to hide away to feed their babies, and that the same place where other people are peeing and pooping is somehow a good place to do this.

Let me just go on record to the moms out there as begging you to please, PLEASE not feed your baby in a public restroom. So disgusting! Instead you can come sit at my table and I will defend you if anyone dares to be an *kitten* about it!
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    Yay or Nay? Discuss....

@Pamela, when I nursed my kids in public I showed less skin than the female in your profile pic is showing. Much, much less. You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm just sayin. :wink:

@Unwrapping, amen sista.

HA, true!! I actually showed less boobage than that sports bra!

It is fortunate for babies everywhere that the law mandates one of the "inconveniences" of having kids is NOT having to find a suitable restroom in which to feed them in.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Feed your baby for crying out loud! Just be aware that there are some weird people and probably some children that will look and stare. If you're o.k. with that then have at it! If not, find another place or pump for when you are on the go.
This discussion has been closed.