• mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    isnt that what they are there for???

if the baby is hungry feed it dont bother me
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both my children (now 18 and 11 years old) in public, but I have to say...almost no one around me *ever* knew it. It is so easy to breasfeed discreetly and without making a spectacle of it.

I was at an amusement park a few weeks ago and sat on a bench. After a few minutes, I realized that the woman next to me was breastfeeding her baby. If I hadn't breastfed, I would never have known. But I smiled to myself and enjoyed the fact that she was doing what she wanted to do for her child as I did for mine.

I've seen public breastfeeding from time to time (probably more often than I've known it), and I have *never* seen unwanted boob flopping around. Ever.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    To me it's like saying licking hot fudge off an ice cream cone in public is inappropriate because I've used it in foreplay.
    TMI.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    OP, you like salt n' peppa?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    To me it's like saying licking hot fudge off an ice cream cone in public is inappropriate because I've used it in foreplay.
    TMI.

What you prefer salted Carmel and whip cream? Don't worry, I dig those too.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have seen about 6 different spellings of "discreet" in this thread.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes, babies have to eat and most mothers will cover themselves up while breastfeeding, so people don't see anything. But if it makes you uncomfortable don't friggen look.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    OP, you like salt n' peppa?

Only on my food....
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I have seen about 6 different spellings of "discreet" in this thread.

descrartes?
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You bet I'm for it.

If someone is bothered by it, then they should carry a blanket and cover their own damn head. Some people are ****ing idiots.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    One time I had a cat and the cat had kittens. I was scandalized when she would nurse the kittens in public, in front of company. So, I put a blanket over them. Also when I would look at her, she would give me dirty looks like I was some kind of perv watching her nurse her kittens, so I yelled at her, "If you are going to do that in public, I'm going to look!" Also there was a cat strip club nearby. I'm not sure how that relates, but just thought I'd mention it because boobs.
  • Flemstica
    Flemstica Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I say YAY! When the babies are hungry, feed them!!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

I have a question. I'm not trying to start anything by asking this, but just genuinely curious.

I get that if a baby is hungry you feed it. Breast feed, bottle feed, whatever floats your boat. I don't care.

But what about 2 or 3 year old or whatever who don't use breast milk as their primary or sole form of nutrition? Since they don't NEED it and have more self control do you still whip it out whenever they want it or wait until it can be done in private? Is that even a different standard?

The older the child gets I imagine the more uncomfortable people would be seeing it. So yeah... just curious.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I don't even understand this debate honestly. Babies need to eat. I don't eat in a bathroom and I wouldn't expect a mom to have to feed a baby in the bathroom. With that said, when I've done so, I've always been very discreet and covered as well as I could.

I don't have a problem with breastfeeding (after all, that was one of the functions of the female breast). The law where I live says that a woman can breastfeed in a public area if the baby is hungry. I do, however, think that the woman should cover her chest while the baby is feeding.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the issue is I mean if I'm hungry and someone is offering a tit ...I'd prolly jump on it too....

Nah just be respectful don't be breastfeeding a 5 year old and just have your stuff hanging all over the place.

I should hope no one is breast feeding a 5 year old...

Google "attachment parenting breast feeding'. Come back when your mind is no longer blown.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I have a question. I'm not trying to start anything by asking this, but just genuinely curious.

I get that if a baby is hungry you feed it. Breast feed, bottle feed, whatever floats your boat. I don't care.

But what about 2 or 3 year old or whatever who don't use breast milk as their primary or sole form of nutrition? Since they don't NEED it and have more self control do you still whip it out whenever they want it or wait until it can be done in private? Is that even a different standard?

The older the child gets I imagine the more uncomfortable people would be seeing it. So yeah... just curious.

Infants need to nurse every two hours, and it's their only source of food and water.

Toddlers eat food and drink water and cows milk and all kinds of stuff. Usually if a toddler is still nursing it is only a couple times a day and at very specific times such as bed time or first thing in the morning. So, usually by that age it would not be in public.
  • Flemstica
    Flemstica Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I don't see how it matters. Does it bother you when a parent gives a 2 or 3 year old a pacifier? A hug? Yes, at a point it is more comfort than nourishment, but what difference does that make?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Infants need to nurse every two hours, and it's their only source of food and water.

Toddlers eat food and drink water and cows milk and all kinds of stuff. Usually if a toddler is still nursing it is only a couple times a day and at very specific times such as bed time or first thing in the morning. So, usually by that age it would not be in public.

Thanks.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    nay.
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I know this family who were all ganging up on their sister in law on fb for breast feeding around them at family functions.They were telling her how disgusting she was and to stay out of sight when she did it etc.I felt so bad for her because I knew how isolating it felt to have to go into another room and stay there while feeding my infant while everybody else was having a good time.I've had other people on fb just going on a rant about how gross breastfeeding in public is.I mean really? I think breasts are beautiful and the fact that we can nourish our children like that is an awesome thing....I don't ever see people ranting about girls in bikinis at the beach...smh.

I recently had to do it in public because I forgot to bring formula and was stuck in traffic with a very hungry screaming 6 month old for 2 hours.We finally were able to pull over into a gas station and I yelled at my brother to please give me the baby and I swear I whipped that boob out in record time lol.I really didn't care at that point.My windows barely have any tinting and there were some people standing around giving me the ugliest looks.I told them that if they didn't like it to go somewhere else.

Public breastfeeding doesn't bother me in the least,even if I don't really do it myself.People that have a problem with it are usually immature and uptight.I give props to women that are brave enough to do it whenever.I unfortunately still carry alot of body shaming issues that I got from my extremely religious upbringing....which is why I still get nervous about doing it in public.....I don't get out that often anyway lol.
This discussion has been closed.