'I'm fat and happy' article. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    Really, that article is less about weight and more about finding contentment within yourself regardless of how you're physically packaged. Something we should all aspire to.

I've been content with my physical appearance when fat and am still now that I'm less fat. I hope to be content when I get to goal too.

So yeah, this about finding inner peace and not being reliant on external factors. It could easily apply to jobs, partners, money etc. It just so happens her measure is her weight.

If you are content with your physical appearance what drives to try and lose weight?
    (Genuine question, not trying to be snarky)

Health here too.

Physical appearance was a minimal concern of mine when I started losing weight. My concern was much more with my sleep apnea and the fact that I saw myself wandering down the same road to diabetes that so many of my relatives have gone down and has ended in serious medical complications, including kidney failure, amputation, and death.

Now? I'm happy with my overall health and, yes, physical appearance is a greater interest for me.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I agree with her on this point: Happiness does not require thinness. Fatness does not presume sadness.

Things are changing for me, I am managing to keep my weight stable no matter how happy or sad I am, but for most of my life you didn't really have to ask me "How've you been?". You could see the answer before asking. If I'd been feeling overwhelmed, my weight was up. If I'd been happy and in control, my weight was down. I have to remind myself that everyone else isn't me, but thin=happy and fat=sad are my automatic thoughts.

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not know how to respond to the article, but I would say I do not fault the writer for finally accepting her slightly curvier self (if she really has as there was a clear undertone of having to explain herself: "Most of my clothes don't fit, and that is discouraging"). Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and a little self love is always great....that said the highlights of her personal internal disorder and implications of crash dieting over and over...rather than healthy sustainable calorie counts and an active lifestyle to promote a GOOD MOOD and HEALTH: It's no wonder she wasn't happy. I personally was happy with my curvier figure: joint pain, high cholesterol, and not being able to keep up with my kids..that's what made me decide to lose a "few lbs" (-49 today)....what I have gained is so much more important than the pounds I've lost: Confidence in myself, Pride in my accomplishments, and Awe that my body is capable of so much more than I ever thought was possible. I enjoy exercise. I love the way my body feels when it's fueled with good food. I love the sense of community that happens when you are surrounded by passionate, driven people like here on MFP. If anything, I'm happier..not because I'm thin, but because I have found a new family/support system that I never had before.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    And this bit.

This bit wants me to hit my head against the nearest wall:
    I’m the one who looks like the mother.

Yes ... as it happens my mother was slender and fit and active right up until she hit about 70. She's still somewhat active, but has put on a little bit of weight.

Same with my grandmother. She was practically sprinting down the road after a hip operation in her early 80s while telling me how it had slowed her down. :grin:

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    Really, that article is less about weight and more about finding contentment within yourself regardless of how you're physically packaged. Something we should all aspire to.

I've been content with my physical appearance when fat and am still now that I'm less fat. I hope to be content when I get to goal too.

So yeah, this about finding inner peace and not being reliant on external factors. It could easily apply to jobs, partners, money etc. It just so happens her measure is her weight.

If you are content with your physical appearance what drives to try and lose weight?

Health, of course. It's easy to be fat and happy. It's not easy to fat and healthy for long. Loving myself and my life is what has always driven me to weight control.
  • boomboom70
    boomboom70 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I thought the article was great, I just hope she is being true to herself. If she is way happier than that is really fantastic.

Not many people are really and truly happy being overweight. For all the reasons given above. For all the reasons we are all on this forum. I have lost count of celebrities who said 'I'm happy fat!' then lost 100lbs and said 'I was pretending to be happy fat'.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to finish the article because my phone didn't like the web page, but if it continues in the same fashion, then I have no problem with it.

If her point is that attaining a certain weight does not guarantee happiness, then I wholeheartedly agree. Losing weight has its benefits, especially starting from a very high BMI, and can improve quality of life, but it won't fix your life.

I was suicidal at my previous lowest weight. The happiest two years of my life happened when I weighed 300+. I'm now back to my lowest, and I am going to fight and continue on with weight loss and management, but I am not a brand new person with a brand new life. I think people often believe they will be someone different if they lose a lot of weight.

From a health perspective, I am doing much better not being 300+ pounds, but I may never reach normal BMI. That's fine. There are different levels of risk. There's a stark difference from how my body felt at a BMI in the upper 50's and my current still-obese BMI of 30.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What I took away from the article was that she was unhappy for a long time with her body and life. She has a bipolar disorder. Being thin didn't fix it. Her job didn't fix it. Marriage and divorce didn't fix it. Having kids didn't fix it
    Doing intense and overly restrictive things to get thin and stay thin didn't help her mentally. Gaining weight didn't fix her problems either. Getting on medication and getting her head in a better place has made her happier and that is more important than her size to her. She happens to be happier while being a bigger size. She could have been happier at a smaller size if her head was in the right place and she were doing sustainae things.

I get that size or outer appearance doesn't equal happiness or contentment. I don't think the people coming here trying to lose 30 lbs in a month to fit in a dress or wear a bikini on their vacation will believe her at all. They believe happiness is looking a certain way in a bikini no matter what.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how I feel about this article. I eat cake, eat pizza and drink wine as long as it is in moderation, but I don't do it every day. Yes I exercise, but I have found what I love to do (lift and to hell with cardio til I die). I think this article is judgmental because she was living a unhealthy lifestyle before and sound like the same now and that's ok? I wish this article was more about being healthy and "fat" not "don't give a $#!+ and fat".
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yeah the "I'm the one who looks like a mother" got me irritated too. She doesn't look like my mom, who had 4 kids, and she doesn't look like me, I have 4 kids. She doesn't look like the ex of my fiance, who had 5.

Skinny moms are moms, stereotyping "mom" as "fat" is messed up all sorts of ways, and bothers me exactly the same ways as "real women have curves" does.

Other than that, I think it's an OK essay. She's not unhealthy fat, she's active and happy and eating moderately and this is how her body looks, it's good that she is happy with it. I only think it's wrong that she extrapolates that out to say that anyone doing that will be fat, most of us won't, and very very wrong that she uses her experience to build a worldview that says that any thin mom is doing something unhealthy to maintain her body.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I think I am sexy as can be and I love myself to the fullest.

I want to lose weight because:
    1. I love a challenge
    2. I want to ride the kiddie rides with my son at Busch Gardens
    3. I want to be a stripper or dancer and well they don't do well with plus sizes

I'm also saving money on food costs by not eating out.. I have always enjoyed the gym and finally have the work schedule to go to it.

I have literally been fat since I was a young child. I don't know anything else but this.. and I spent a lot of my youth hating myself, hating my appearance and being low. I listened to others opinions instead of my own and I *am* happy with my looks physically. I am not ugly. I prefer large men and large women sexually. You can be content with your physical appearance but still change it for other reasons.