'I'm fat and happy' article. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    Really, that article is less about weight and more about finding contentment within yourself regardless of how you're physically packaged. Something we should all aspire to.

I've been content with my physical appearance when fat and am still now that I'm less fat. I hope to be content when I get to goal too.

So yeah, this about finding inner peace and not being reliant on external factors. It could easily apply to jobs, partners, money etc. It just so happens her measure is her weight.

If you are content with your physical appearance what drives to try and lose weight?
    (Genuine question, not trying to be snarky)

For me, I was one of the people who were truly and genuinely happy being not only fat, but morbidly obese. What drove me to lose weight was being diagnosed with prediabetes and the thought of having to watch my carbs, having to manage my insulin, having to take very careful care of any cut or sore, the likelihood of further complications.. I'm already juggling a couple of conditions I need to manage, and I don't need a new one. That was the only thing that drove me to lose weight.

If a fairy godmother appeared to me right now and fixed my genes promising my weight will never ever affect any condition or cause me health issues, I would stop dieting in a heartbeat. Would I go back to the way I was? Probably not. I've discovered a few things I like that require me to not be morbidly obese and I would like to keep them around like hiking, running, fitting into seats..etc. I would probably gain 10-15 pounds on top for a nice and luxurious maintenance level, but not more. Now if said fairy godmother also insures I will still be able to do all these things, I would just let things go and let my weight fall where it may.

I'm slightly less happy now than I was back then, but not to the extent that woman was. I shared my experience on another thread.

I think what this article is trying to say that fat isn't necessarily unhappy and thin isn't necessarily happy. I did not get the feeling that it implied all thin people are unhappy, on the contrary. It appeared to focus on finding happiness within you, regardless of size or anything else.

Some people start losing weight with all kinds of expectations like finding the perfect relationship, magically turning from a shy self conscious person into the life of the party, having their dream job, even better behaved kids and a more organized house (not kidding, I've heard both before) without realizing that size has little to do with many of the things they want and that a lot of extra work needs to be done on the inside to achieve what they want.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I found the article to be the proverbial Curate's Egg - only good in parts.

It may be the writer's reality but there is a false dichotomy going on which doesn't apply to many people - thin and miserable or fat and happy. Being in good shape does not require extreme sacrifice or misery but rather consistency and building solid habits. If you want to maintain cover model physique year round the situation may be different but that is not most people.

And this bit.

This bit wants me to hit my head against the nearest wall:
    I’m the one who looks like the mother.

All of this. The lifestyle she describes should not be necessary to maintain a healthy body weight unless you have a medical condition affecting your metabolism. For an average, otherwise healthy person, you don't have to starve yourself, never sleep and exercise to exhaustion to look like her "before" photo.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I think this article is potentially harmful as the author obviously has disordered thinking regarding body image and food, and is attempting to convey a message based on that disordered thinking. While the underlying message of accepting one's self is great, her methodology for deriving that conclusion is harmful imo. Maintaining a size that falls into the healthy category doesn't require starvation or excessive exercise, and her statements of sacrifice and minimal nutrition make it seem that the only way to maintain a healthy size is to severely restrict one's diet and to exercise for hours each, which is false.

Individuals who are obese may potentially read this article and completely give up modifying their lifestyle because the author essentially states that living a healthy size is not realistic, and that can be damaging to their health. Yes, making lifestyle changes is difficult and requires effort and energy initially as we are creatures of habit and lifestyle changes temporarily take us out of our comfort zones until we acclimate. Reasonable changes can be implemented over time and do not require an excessive amount of thought or energy to implement and maintain, as weight loss is not a race. The end result of small changes overtime can yield huge benefits in terms of overall health. I interpreted the author's overall message as one of "don't bother trying, it's too hard and unsustainable", which is very inaccurate.

I think the author's focus should be more on her mental health and less on her weight as I believe her weight to be a symptom of larger issues. I suspect if she addressed the mental health issues her weight would no longer be a focus as she would be in a better state of mind, and would probably lose weight unintentionally by not comfort eating to handle stress. I also think her lack of sleep also has a huge impact on her frame of mind and diet, and if she forced herself to get adequate sleep many other areas of her life would improve. All in all, I don't think she needs to be a spokesperson for body image or diet as she has outstanding unresolved issues at play an should not be in a position to give advice as she is not an authority on the subject matter and remains in an unhealthy state [mentally] herself. She has given up on maintaining a healthy weight because she was trying to do so in unsustainable ways, she has not actually made any progress forward towards a healthy lifestyle, and should not be advocating for other people to just give up as she did.

This sums my thoughts up as well.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    Really, that article is less about weight and more about finding contentment within yourself regardless of how you're physically packaged. Something we should all aspire to.

I've been content with my physical appearance when fat and am still now that I'm less fat. I hope to be content when I get to goal too.

So yeah, this about finding inner peace and not being reliant on external factors. It could easily apply to jobs, partners, money etc. It just so happens her measure is her weight.

If you are content with your physical appearance what drives to try and lose weight?
    (Genuine question, not trying to be snarky)

Health. The desire to avoid the fate of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol (often more than one) which has plagued my relatives and killed many long before they should have passed. The desire to be active and not in pain. The desire to serve in my job, which requires the energy to work long hours with people in crisis. And it's nice to walk up four flights of stairs and not be gasping for breath.

Then there was the one time I ran up seven flights of stairs of a parking structure to reach a suicidal student before he jumped. Reached the top and was able to carry on a very important conversation.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I will never agree with people who say they are fat and happy. It's not possible. They just want to be that way and settle because they don't want to try to do anything to not be fat anymore because it's too hard to lose weight. That may sound harsh but I've been there myself and thought that way myself at times. It's never okay to be fat or obese, health-wise mainly, but not good.

Not possible for you, but you are judging by your standards. How can you say it is not possible for someone else.

I'm not saying I agree with the statement that people who are fat cannot be happy in their own skin, but I think there is a small truth in the statement as far as the settling bit is concerned.

Let's say you took 100 people who claimed they were happy being overweight, fat, or obese and asked them if they'd like to follow a weight loss plan to be in a healthy weight range and they said no, they're happy with their body. Okay fine, if that's the case then good. Say you then told those 100 people that you had a pill they could swallow where all that work to be done in the gym and changing their eating habits would be negated and all they had to do was take this pill once and lose some weight, how many of those 100 do you think would deny that offer? I'm willing to bet the amount of content people would change immensely.

The fact of the matter is that, no matter your size, being what most consider "fit" is not an easy task. It takes hard work, dedication, and patience. Most people are not willing to put in the effort that it takes to achieve or maintain that level of fitness. It's so much easier to come home and relax or wake up and unwind before work than it is to get into a habit of exercising. It's much easier to just eat what you want without regard to calories or hunger level than it is to consider whether or not you really need to eat at that moment.

I am what many people would consider to be fit but I work hard for that. Working hard does not include starving myself, but it does include keeping an eye on my intake, which is 2000+ as stated above, it takes working out every morning for 30 to 60 minutes, it takes walking several miles per day and being generally active. Even then, I still don't consider myself fit, just a bit above average although people tell me otherwise. The point is that many people want the fitness model body without wanting to put in the work that it takes to get there. Society as a whole wants instant gratification.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    While I don't think size, great or small, should rob someone of their self-worth or self-esteem, I did struggle with the overall message I perceived in her post. The implication you have to suffer and be miserable to be thin. It's not an either/or kind of thing for me and I truly don't think it has to be for anyone else. I didn't give up foods I love, nor do I eat things I hate. I don't do exercises I hate--I love weight-lifting, yoga and running. They bring me joy and balance and stress relief.

To me, she made counting calories sound like a mental disorder. Counting calories was what helped me lose weight. Calorie counting has made me aware of and accountable for what I eat (or don't eat). I am responsible for my weight gain, loss or maintenance. Not my stress, my family, my hypothyroidism, my "bad genes," or my job or anything else. Me. It's all me. And more than calories, I'm in tune with what macros work best for my body. I doubt that would have happened without the overall calorie counting. Plus, I'm additionally more aware of vitamins and minerals and have worked with my doctor to supplement as needed.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Let's say you took 100 people who claimed they were happy being overweight, fat, or obese and asked them if they'd like to follow a weight loss plan to be in a healthy weight range and they said no, they're happy with their body. Okay fine, if that's the case then good. Say you then told those 100 people that you had a pill they could swallow where all that work to be done in the gym and changing their eating habits would be negated and all they had to do was take this pill once and lose some weight, how many of those 100 do you think would deny that offer? I'm willing to bet the amount of content people would change immensely.

Speaking from experience,very similar to smokers who can't kick the habit. Before I managed to quit 3 years ago, in the 22 years I smoked a pack or more a day I told myself I smoke because I love smoking. I don't want to quit. I just looooove it. Ask any smoker who says they love smoking if they could go back to that first drag they ever took and change that one decision, would they? 100% of smokers not still in full delusion mode (read young folks mostly) would take that opportunity in a heartbeat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    They argue "I dont have to diet or work out that much to be a size 4!" as if the author implied everyone did... She didn't.

Actually, yes, she did.

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I will never agree with people who say they are fat and happy. It's not possible. They just want to be that way and settle because they don't want to try to do anything to not be fat anymore because it's too hard to lose weight. That may sound harsh but I've been there myself and thought that way myself at times. It's never okay to be fat or obese, health-wise mainly, but not good.

You have a very narrow point of view. It is possible, just like we have accepted and be happy with the salaries, spouses, houses, etc we could find.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The author's been:
    - fat and unhappy
    - thin and unhappy
    - fat and happy
    - maybe one day she'll discover what it is to be happy, period.

What I got from this article is that when she was thin, she didn't have the right tools or the approach to strike a balance between diet and exercise to maintain a healthy weight. She was underrating, over-exercising, and overexerting herself. Being fat at the moment is less stressful on her body and on her psyche than the extremes that she went through to achieve thinness. However, it doesn't mean that being thin is unhealthy, or the root of her unhappiness. It simply means that she doesn't yet know how to be both thin and happy. And so, she's choosing happiness.

Being happy or thin doesn't have to be a choice. But, it does come down to it for certain people. Maybe it's a pit stop for her on the way to a more healthy lifestyle.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wow, this is great, every one's opinions are making me think in ways I hadn't before.
    Its surprising to me to hear so much more from posters who are regular here, their feelings about size, and their own motives for what they have done about their eating and body size as well as how health may or not come into the decisions they made and make.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

you don't have to agree just accept it.

I was exceptionally happy with my life at my biggest. Not sure I could have succeeded in the weight loss if I wasn't happy.

I have always loved my body and all things about it...it's called self confidence...and my husband tells me that is the main thing that attracted him to me...keep in mind he is 10 years younger and slim himself but he found me attractive because of the self confidence and sexuality I exuded.

I didn't settle at all...and if the bolded statement were true I wouldn't be here and MFP wouldn't have as many successful losers/maintainers as it does...

I didn't see anyone say it was "okay to be fat or obese, health wise.." or any other way...but you can be fat and happy...

Perhaps expand your reality.