'I'm fat and happy' article. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The other body you see there, the body of “physical hotness,” I attained by eating a “plentiful” 1,000 calories a day; by running 35 miles a week (10 on Sunday); by sleeping an average of three hours a day; by counting every bit of food I ate, down to a single cherry tomato; by writing and tracking my weight every day for a year; by running the stairs of the hospital during my 12-hour shifts; by losing my period; by denying myself food when I was hungry; by denying myself sleep.

^^^^^^ Yeah I would be pretty *kitten* pissy too, her body was probably exhausted . I understand wanting to be fit and healthy ..... but there are a few areas in this paragraph that I do not think are very healthy. but that is just me
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    some people just want to eat whatever they want whenever they want and that is a lot about that 600 lb show. I don't think you can be happy without discipline in every area of your life. That said I have fat friends who have very successful lives, good husbands but still I know they would be happier with self control in their food intake, you just feel better and look better and don't have all the health problems not to mention self esteem.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    No one can possibly know how someone else feels.
    If she says she's happy, why doubt it? Because you wouldn't be happy?
    Holding someone else to your standards of what makes you happy, or unhappy, is not necessarily true for anyone else.
    Anything is possible, why not take her word for how she feels. She knows herself, the rest of us don't.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    From a mental health perspective, she did not treat her body well to manage her bipolar disorder. Severely restricting herself and overexercising, and the impact that can create on her wellbeing, coupled with a lack of sleep-all would set her up for an exacerbation of symptoms. And as someone else mentioned, her improved mood could very well be due to medication.

But overall I agree with others stating that she is not someone who should be considered a "how to" of weight loss or body acceptance. There are others who are more well balanced in their approaches.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I agree with her on this point: Happiness does not require thinness. Fatness does not presume sadness.

Things are changing for me, I am managing to keep my weight stable no matter how happy or sad I am, but for most of my life you didn't really have to ask me "How've you been?". You could see the answer before asking. If I'd been feeling overwhelmed, my weight was up. If I'd been happy and in control, my weight was down. I have to remind myself that everyone else isn't me, but thin=happy and fat=sad are my automatic thoughts.

Ditto. I can recall almost every happy time in my life and they were when I was thinner, and the sad times when I was heavier. I don't really fluctuate much and never have (10lbs or so with the exception of pregnancy and one year long super thin time), but I base most of my happiness on how I feel about my weight. I hate it.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    Really, that article is less about weight and more about finding contentment within yourself regardless of how you're physically packaged. Something we should all aspire to.

I've been content with my physical appearance when fat and am still now that I'm less fat. I hope to be content when I get to goal too.

So yeah, this about finding inner peace and not being reliant on external factors. It could easily apply to jobs, partners, money etc. It just so happens her measure is her weight.

If you are content with your physical appearance what drives to try and lose weight?
    (Genuine question, not trying to be snarky)

Health, of course. It's easy to be fat and happy. It's not easy to fat and healthy for long. Loving myself and my life is what has always driven me to weight control.

I'm not sure that's true, the bit about not easy being fat and healthy for long. I got fat eating whole, minimally processed foods, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, superfoods, etc. I enjoy food, obviously. And even while obese, I've had wonderful checkups, including full labs to check hormone and vitamin levels. I had no deficiencies. And cholesterol, blood pressure, hormone levels, etc. were all just as great as when I was 17 and skinny. Until those check ups, I thought that I was headed down a path to illness simply because I was fat. Now, I just want to lose weight for my appearance.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Really, that article is less about weight and more about finding contentment within yourself regardless of how you're physically packaged. Something we should all aspire to.

I've been content with my physical appearance when fat and am still now that I'm less fat. I hope to be content when I get to goal too.

So yeah, this about finding inner peace and not being reliant on external factors. It could easily apply to jobs, partners, money etc. It just so happens her measure is her weight.

If you are content with your physical appearance what drives to try and lose weight?

I'm not the person who you are addressing, but I am on the same page as her about being happy fat and smaller. For me, I started losing weight as a by product of wanting to be healthier. I didn't really have a weight loss goal... I picked my goal for MFP based on my vanity and some vague ideas about what I might look like at 164. I was 304 and I'm too vain to admit that I might have been twice as heavy as I "ought" to be, so 152 was too low... 164 was an even 140 loss, so that seemed like a good number. But I honestly never, ever, ever thought I'd see anything under 240 unless I was terminally ill. Really. My REAL goal was to not lose any of the mobility I had and to still be able to get off the floor without help and to continue to be able to fit in my bathtub, and to hopefully improve some of my bloodwork numbers... basically to not gain and and to not lose ground with regard to my health.

But when I started getting stronger and the weight started falling off, I began to get curious about what I was eating, and if I could make improvements to my nutrition. That's when I found MFP. I discovered I didn't eat as much fiber as I thought. Then I realized that I ate more sugar than I realized. Then I realized my protein intake was a little on the low side. Then I started noticing patterns between how much energy I had, how hungry I felt, and what I ate. I tweaked my dietary choices to maximize my energy level and minimize food/sugar cravings. In a year, I had lost 90 pounds!

2 1/2 years ago I discovered Dragon Boating and fell in love with the sport. So now I actually want to reach my original goal, and probably even make it to that 1/2 my size number because I want to be competitive on the boat and I want to be paddling for MANY years to come!

I also have been stunned by how differently I am treated now that I'm smaller. It's bizarre! It seems like people take me much more seriously and with more respect. I honestly didn't see that coming. I didn't realize how much my appearance affected how people treated me.

So now, the work that goes into staying smaller is worth it to me. However, I also realize how easy it would be to weigh 300 pounds again if my life was changed by some catastrophe or another. I am not a person who can stay under 250 without a good bit of planning and personal responsibility. It isn't natural for me.

But that's why I'm losing weight. I like the side effects of being smaller. It's nice not to carry around all those parts of me that I'm not using.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think the article is misrepresented. It is not the comparison of fat to thin, it is a comparison between being overweight and having an eating disorder. I guess if those were my only two options I'd choose overweight too...but it's unfortunate that she doesn't seem to understand that there is a way to get healthy without killing herself.

I agree whole heartedly with this. I think the article said she got help for her bipolar disorder but I'm wondering if she got help for her disordered eating/exercising patterns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember her saying that.

Point being, it IS possible to be fit and "thin" without starving yourself. I was exactly like her but I'm 28 now. So a bit younger. Back when I was 19-20, I was treated for anorexia. Did the exact same things she did. Over exercised and underate to the extreme. Getting help for my eating disorder allowed me to get my thoughts in check and slowly understand how to eat properly. I was diagnosed bipolar I at 24. My moods and behaviors were always erratic but it came to a head at 24. I blew up in weight shortly after my diagnosis because I wasn't stable yet.

Then... I lost the weight in a healthy manner. I'm in the best shape of my life. My moods are stable and I'm a functioning human being.

That being said, I still remember all I learned from ED treatment. I know I get obsessive about things and was going down that road again. Which is why I'm not counting calories anymore. Focusing on being healthy and eating to fuel my body. If it weren't for my ED treatment, I would have gone down the same disordered eating path. I learned coping mechanisms that I will utilize for my entire life.

There's a huge difference between bipolar treatment and actual ED treatment. Both helped me in different ways. This is why I was wondering if she actually got help for her ED specifically.

Sorry so long!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No one can possibly know how someone else feels.
    If she says she's happy, why doubt it? Because you wouldn't be happy?
    Holding someone else to your standards of what makes you happy, or unhappy, is not necessarily true for anyone else.
    Anything is possible, why not take her word for how she feels. She knows herself, the rest of us don't.

Because the OP asked opinions.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I liked the article. I also don't assume that the author is finished and set with where she is. A lot of people evolve in how they relate to their weight, and that she's medicated properly now (or so it seems) is relevant. I wouldn't be surprised if feeling good about herself and comfortable with her body allows her to focus on losing some weight in a more sensible way that is neither as obsessive or fueled by dissatisfaction with herself as described. It wasn't me, since I never was that obsessed with being thin or how I looked, even when I was at my thinnest, but I know and have read lots of people who were able to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way that made them happy only after getting way from the dieting and focus on body world for a while and accepting themselves as is.
  • Peregrymj
    Peregrymj Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is a woman who only thinks in extremes. You're either obese or anorexic no exceptions in her mind.
    As for "try and be fat and happy," noooo thank you. When I was overweight i was miserable. I was depressed, my body perpetually ached, I was constantly tired, constantly sick. My hobby was napping because it was all I ever wanted to do. Then I started eating better, lost quite a few pounds but am certainly not a skinny Minnie, and all those problems I just listed went away. Every. Single. One. So while I think someone can be perfectly content as an overweight person, for me it was not a good time so the blanket statement we should all just let ourselves go kinda irks me. I mean I'm sure (I hope) that's not what she meant but her wording kind of rubs me the wrong way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »

Health, of course. It's easy to be fat and happy. It's not easy to fat and healthy for long. Loving myself and my life is what has always driven me to weight control.

I'm not sure that's true, the bit about not easy being fat and healthy for long. I got fat eating whole, minimally processed foods, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, superfoods, etc. I enjoy food, obviously. And even while obese, I've had wonderful checkups, including full labs to check hormone and vitamin levels. I had no deficiencies. And cholesterol, blood pressure, hormone levels, etc. were all just as great as when I was 17 and skinny. Until those check ups, I thought that I was headed down a path to illness simply because I was fat. Now, I just want to lose weight for my appearance.

This was all true for me, but the truth is that even though lots of people can be fat without having health issues immediately, it creates higher risk of health issues as time goes on. So I lost weight for health reasons as well as appearance (I admit that appearance plus the fact I just feel better and can do more athletically when thin were more significant motivators for me).
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I like this discussion because for me it is helpful once in a while to ask myself, "Hmm, why am I doing this again?" Without that, I have a tendency to lose my focus when one more social occasion pops up. The answer for me always comes back to feeling so much better when I'm not overeating and when I'm fairly active. Thanks to MFP I know that I don't have to suffer to accomplish these things. That is where I feel for the author of the article. She hasn't figured out that sweet spot yet of moderation, but as others have said, she might still figure it out.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    For many many people, over eating and the resulting obesity isn't the cause of the unhappiness, it's a result.

Honestly, for some people,(and I am only speaking for myself) they overeat because they love food, and eating food makes them happy because it tastes great. I Love Food! The result of overindulging may not make us happy, but getting there sure does. I know for a fact that I am not happier at a normal weight than I was when I was obese. I am however, happier, to be able to wear normal sized clothing. I do miss overindulging in foods that I love.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as the OP was asking for thoughts on this, or Hornsby, doesn't mine count because I may actually think the woman may know herself.

Posters are entitled to doubt the woman, but so am I entitled to think that she knows herself better than anyone and is entitled to the benefit of the doubt.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I think that it is good to feel good about yourself at what ever weight you are. In my opinion she had an eating disorder. I can't imagine only eating 1000 calories a day or even worse only sleeping 3 hours per night. No wonder she wasn't happy. I do think that getting her bipolar disorder under control probably has more to do with her happiness than her weight. I wasn't necessarily any more or less unhappy when I was heavy than I am now. But I feel a lot better now than I did then. I don't starve myself or deprive myself of things that I like to eat or deprive myself of sleep. I only do exercise that I enjoy and I find that the better shape I am in the more I enjoy exercise. I do think that it is true that if you are fat and unhappy that losing weight isn't going to magically fix the problems that make you unhappy. But being healthier and feeling better can help you to get in a place where you can fix those things.

I also didn't like her comment about being the one who looked like a mother. As if mothers can only look a certain way. Although I do think that she looks like the mother in that picture because she looks older than the other women in the picture, not because of her weight.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I will never agree with people who say they are fat and happy. It's not possible. They just want to be that way and settle because they don't want to try to do anything to not be fat anymore because it's too hard to lose weight. That may sound harsh but I've been there myself and thought that way myself at times. It's never okay to be fat or obese, health-wise mainly, but not good.