"Starvation Mode" and How to Fix

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Apparently starvation mode is a real thing. It's just usually not referred to as "starvation mode". It offers ways on how to fix it. I thought this was an interesting and informative article by Dr. Jade Teta.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article3624

I like this article.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but one article on t-nation.com by someone with "Dr." before their name doesn't make something real.

Dr. Jade Teta is a naturapath who makes a living selling books, workout programs, and training through his weight loss company whose primary message is "fixing" metabolic problems. In other words, he is far from an unbiased author.

Adaptive thermogenesis is a real thing, but it's not something the average dieter needs to worry about. If you severely restrict calories over a very long period of time, your metabolism will slow down over time. But we are talking about a large deficit over a long period of time with no breaks. That's why if you have a lot of weight to lose that will take years to complete, it is recommended that you take a couple of weeks every 3 or 4 months and eat at maintenance. But even though it's a real thing, it won't stop you from losing weight, it just slows it down a little. Otherwise anorexics, people who go on hunger fasts, starving people in war-torn countries wouldn't get to the point where they were skin and bones, they would just get sluggish wouldn't they?

That's the point of the article. I think people automatically get defensive because of the words "starvation mode" when in fact the article is talking about the different levels of metabolic damage and if you do have metabolic damage there's ways to fix it depending on what level you are in. Obviously, this article doesn't apply to everyone. Everyone knows you can still lose weight if you are on a really low calorie diet. It may not be healthy, but it's still possible. You can't argue the fact people do hit plateaus. What cause their plateau could be a variety of reasons. What is the number on stated phrase on here? Weight loss is not linear. For most people it's likely they are eating too many calories. The metabolic rate will slow down as you lose weight and will take much more to continue losing at the same rate because the body does not burn as many calories as it did when at a much higher weight. The smaller the body, the less energy it takes to operate. There are people out there that do have metabolic damage, but may not know it. I personally did experience something like this. I don't know if it was actually metabolic damage, but when I stopped losing weight I took a break because I was actually hungrier than before I started losing weight. Then I got back on to my routine and weight loss jump started again. This was way before I came across this article. For me it explained something that I couldn't explain. I thought it was an interesting read. People can do with it what they want.

As far as the biased author, I personally don't feel selling other products for income devalues his opinion. Personal trainers, nutritionists, and even medical doctors do it. It doesn't mean his opinion is worthless. If he did not have the references he stated in the article then I would question it. I personally thought it was a valid article. He is a integrative physician. This is what he does: he practices healing oriented medicine that includes both alternative as well as conventional medicine.

I would respectfully disagree, that's not the point of the article. The point of the article is to convince anyone who's having trouble losing weight that they have experienced metabolic damage so they will then buy his book. When the real problem is something much more simple, like they are eating too much.

Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed? Casually pointing out that people who have trouble losing weight "are eating too much" isn't helping people identify why.

Sure. But what does that have to do with this thread?

There are plenty of reasons why people are eating too much, and plenty of reasons why the standard formula might not give them a number that works for them. But for I'm guessing 99% of people who aren't losing weight, "starvation mode" is not the reason, because they have not been aggressively undereating for years. That's all I was saying.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't worry about flags. Mods are smart enough most the time to read through and see it isn't any issue. Might close for review but that shouldn't take long. But it was almost like a T-Nation plant profile.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    No it's 5 flags for the same post not the entire thread. If @SezxyStef had five fans her posts would be collapsed
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Shouldn't worry about flags. Mods are smart enough most the time to read through and see it isn't any issue. Might close for review but that shouldn't take long. But it was almost like a T-Nation plant profile.

No, if you want your unwarranted flags removed you have to report your post and choose other and explain unwarranted flag.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

No, if you want your unwarranted flags removed you have to report your post and choose other and explain unwarranted flag.

Mine was flagged and all I did was post to rebuttal links. That is unwarranted.

Now, strikes in the past...maybe some of those were.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Mine was flagged and all I did was post to rebuttal links. That is unwarranted.

Now, strikes in the past...maybe some of those were.

Just report it. I had mine removed from this post
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Would they really do that??
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think my flag is gone and I didn't do anything to have it removed. I don't care, usually someone who doesn't like the truth!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

Jane, Jane, Jane. LOL
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

Jane, Jane, Jane. LOL

I know, I know. (-_-)
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry, but one article on t-nation.com by someone with "Dr." before their name doesn't make something real.

Dr. Jade Teta is a naturapath who makes a living selling books, workout programs, and training through his weight loss company whose primary message is "fixing" metabolic problems. In other words, he is far from an unbiased author.

Adaptive thermogenesis is a real thing, but it's not something the average dieter needs to worry about. If you severely restrict calories over a very long period of time, your metabolism will slow down over time. But we are talking about a large deficit over a long period of time with no breaks. That's why if you have a lot of weight to lose that will take years to complete, it is recommended that you take a couple of weeks every 3 or 4 months and eat at maintenance. But even though it's a real thing, it won't stop you from losing weight, it just slows it down a little. Otherwise anorexics, people who go on hunger fasts, starving people in war-torn countries wouldn't get to the point where they were skin and bones, they would just get sluggish wouldn't they?

That's the point of the article. I think people automatically get defensive because of the words "starvation mode" when in fact the article is talking about the different levels of metabolic damage and if you do have metabolic damage there's ways to fix it depending on what level you are in. Obviously, this article doesn't apply to everyone. Everyone knows you can still lose weight if you are on a really low calorie diet. It may not be healthy, but it's still possible. You can't argue the fact people do hit plateaus. What cause their plateau could be a variety of reasons. What is the number on stated phrase on here? Weight loss is not linear. For most people it's likely they are eating too many calories. The metabolic rate will slow down as you lose weight and will take much more to continue losing at the same rate because the body does not burn as many calories as it did when at a much higher weight. The smaller the body, the less energy it takes to operate. There are people out there that do have metabolic damage, but may not know it. I personally did experience something like this. I don't know if it was actually metabolic damage, but when I stopped losing weight I took a break because I was actually hungrier than before I started losing weight. Then I got back on to my routine and weight loss jump started again. This was way before I came across this article. For me it explained something that I couldn't explain. I thought it was an interesting read. People can do with it what they want.

As far as the biased author, I personally don't feel selling other products for income devalues his opinion. Personal trainers, nutritionists, and even medical doctors do it. It doesn't mean his opinion is worthless. If he did not have the references he stated in the article then I would question it. I personally thought it was a valid article. He is a integrative physician. This is what he does: he practices healing oriented medicine that includes both alternative as well as conventional medicine.

I would respectfully disagree, that's not the point of the article. The point of the article is to convince anyone who's having trouble losing weight that they have experienced metabolic damage so they will then buy his book. When the real problem is something much more simple, like they are eating too much.

Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed? Casually pointing out that people who have trouble losing weight "are eating too much" isn't helping people identify why.

There are plenty of reasons why people are eating too much, and plenty of reasons why the standard formula might not give them a number that works for them. But for I'm guessing 99% of people who aren't losing weight, "starvation mode" is not the reason, because they have not been aggressively undereating for years. That's all I was saying.

I agree. I don't think that "starvation mode" is the reason for most people's weight gain either. But on the other hand, I think metabolic damage is real and can be corrected.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    I think that "Starvation Mode" is an excuse that people use for why they are no longer losing weight. CICO, people.

And using it is an easy way to justify upping their calories, and when they still don't lose any weight it's because their metabolism is broken because they were in starvation mode. And round and round it goes..

That's why the article is interesting and hopeful that people can get off of that merry-go-round.
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Being new to MFP I didn't realize how touchy the community can be about the term "starvation mode. " A large man (350 lbs) that was also new here, as well as new to dieting and nutrition in general, asked for help as a beginner and said he was trying to start off doing 1200 calories a day. (From drinking 3 liters of soda a day as one example.) He said he was not feeling well and was having problems with balance. I warned him that 1200 would prob not be sustainable for him, could cause him to give up, and that even if he did lose weight, if he eventually went back to old eating habits, he could be doing damage to his metabolism in the meantime eating 1200 calories. I used the words "starvation mode" to explain that his metabolism would eventually slow down, and if metabolic damage was done over a period of losing weight, and he went back to eating the same calories as befote, eventually the same calories could make him gain more than he weighed before instead of going back to 350. I was thinking of the longterm for him and my own struggles of losing a lot of weight at once and in the next year or so gaining it all back and more. I don't feel that each time my eating habits got worse, I feel I damaged my natural metabolism. Anyway, I was immediately jumped on for referring to "starvation mode" and this thread has helped me understand why. I guess some people in the community are tired of hearing it used improperly as an excuse when someone hits a plateau.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Being new to MFP I didn't realize how touchy the community can be about the term "starvation mode. " A large man (350 lbs) that was also new here, as well as new to dieting and nutrition in general, asked for help as a beginner and said he was trying to start off doing 1200 calories a day. (From drinking 3 liters of soda a day as one example.) He said he was not feeling well and was having problems with balance. I warned him that 1200 would prob not be sustainable for him, could cause him to give up, and that even if he did lose weight, if he eventually went back to old eating habits, he could be doing damage to his metabolism in the meantime eating 1200 calories. I used the words "starvation mode" to explain that his metabolism would eventually slow down, and if metabolic damage was done over a period of losing weight, and he went back to eating the same calories as befote, eventually the same calories could make him gain more than he weighed before instead of going back to 350. I was thinking of the longterm for him and my own struggles of losing a lot of weight at once and in the next year or so gaining it all back and more. I don't feel that each time my eating habits got worse, I feel I damaged my natural metabolism. Anyway, I was immediately jumped on for referring to "starvation mode" and this thread has helped me understand why. I guess some people in the community are tired of hearing it used improperly as an excuse when someone hits a plateau.

You got this hon! It's rare that someone gets over the hurt and understands posters that have been around awhile. "Starvation mode" is a catchy phrase--it sounds good when you're not losing, frustrated, and trying to figure out why. Alot of newbies are innocent, in they have no idea how it grates on the nerves. People will jump on that, as well as "detox", "cleanses", and a real biggie "Dr. Oz". Sorry you were caught in the crossfire. There's alot to learn on MFP.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I agree. I don't think that "starvation mode" is the reason for most people's weight gain either. But on the other hand, I think metabolic damage is real and can be corrected.

but metabolic damage is not common.