Do men secretly want a more traditional housewife?

Options

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    Options
    Who male or female wouldn't want to come home after a long day at work to a nice meal and a clean and orderly house? I don't see why this has to be either a male or female role these days though.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    Who male or female wouldn't want to come home after a long day at work to a nice meal and a clean and orderly house? I don't see why this has to be either a male or female role these days though.

strong muffin top in avi...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman, but I don't think so. They like their wives to work and to have their own passions. Maybe when the kids are little, they do like having the wife stay with them (makes things easier).
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The Good Wives Guide circa 1950!

Have dinner ready.
    Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favourite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.
    Prepare yourself.
    Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.
    Clear away clutter.
    Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, papers, etc. and then run a dustcloth over the tables.
    Over the winter months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
    Prepare the children.
    Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces, comb their hair, and if necessary change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.
    Minimise all noise.
    At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.
    Be happy to see him.
    Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.
    Listen to him.
    You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the right time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
    Make the evening his.
    Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, and his real need to be at home and relax.
    Your goal.
    Try to make sure that your home is a place of peace and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.
    Don't greet him with complaints and problems.
    Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone throught that day.
    Make him comfortable.
    Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or a warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.
    Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is master of the house and as such, will always excercise his will with fairness and truthfulness.
    You have no right to question him.
    A good wife knows her place

I would bet money that this article was written by a man.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Have dinner ready.
    Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favourite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.
    Prepare yourself.
    Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.
    Clear away clutter.
    Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, papers, etc. and then run a dustcloth over the tables.
    Over the winter months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
    Prepare the children.
    Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces, comb their hair, and if necessary change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.
    Minimise all noise.
    At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.
    Be happy to see him.
    Listen to him.
    You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the right time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
    Make the evening his.
    Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, and his real need to be at home and relax.
    Your goal.
    Try to make sure that your home is a place of peace and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.
    Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone throught that day.
    Make him comfortable.
    Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or a warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.
    Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is master of the house and as such, will always excercise his will with fairness and truthfulness.

Or a "stewardess"...link please?
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a lot of fun to dress up like a 1950's housewife and be waiting in the kitchen for him to get home...I wouldn't be dressed up for long and his hot dinner would get cold....bwahaha >:)

More seriously, I like doing a lot of that stuff- I'm a little suzy homemaker, but I also will work full-time and have outside interests from the home.

He loves it when I cook for him, but he also does his share of "cooking" when it involves the grill and he helps with cleaning and stuff.

We both will share responsibilities.. Who knows? Maybe I'll come home to him dressed up as a 1950's house wife...LOL
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Have dinner ready.
    Prepare yourself.
    Clear away clutter.
    Prepare the children.
    Minimise all noise.
    Be happy to see him.
    Listen to him.
    Make the evening his.
    Your goal.
    Make him comfortable.

Or a "stewardess"...link please?
    It was circulate as an old article, and is purported to be a hoax. Image of the article: http://lilikaofthelake.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/the20good20wifes20guide1.jpg
  • Leahsz
    Leahsz Posts: 81
    Options
    [/quote]

Hell, I want a doting housewife. So, probably.
    [/quote]

I second this!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic!

I was a full time, successful accountant in Australia until I moved to the USA to be with my husband. We're now in Germany as we got orders with the USAF.

I miss my job like CRAZY! I miss the independence, and I miss having purpose. It's part of the reason why I hope to get obsessed with the weight loss journey.

He, however, admits that he loves that I am at home 'doting' on him so to speak. He loves that dinner is cooked every night. He loves that he doesn't have to lift a finger in the house, and he loves that he provides for me. (And, even with an accounting job, I have to say, I want for so much less now than I did then!)

Do I want this forever? No way. But it's a compromise for now. Plus, I make him do all the man jobs. So there is a definite gender separation in this house, even though I have 2 college degrees and a profession haha.

Hey!!! My fiance is in the Air Force and makes it pretty clear that he prefers for me to be a housewife when we get married. I honestly am looking forward to it since it allows me to do more freelance work but I am a bit nervous that I'll miss my career (also college graduate).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So here's my question: in this modern society do men secretly (or sub subconsciously) want a 1950's doting housewife?

I'm not meaning dressing up like a 50's house wife, but more in spirit : making the man the #1 priority, centring your day around his comings and goings, hot meal on the table, house clean, wife all prettied up...

If guys do like that is it just a novelty and they get bored with it or is it something deep down they want but dare not say so?

Just wanted to repost the original question because this thread looks to be in danger of derailing (big surprise). And I'm still curious for more answers to OP. Where is that secret hive mind when you need it.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    i like to be with people who have goals,ambitions and wake up every morning because they want to make a difference to the world not to serve me oatmeal.Having said that,there are people who find true happiness in taking care of others but that's not for me
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Me and my fiance do everything together - we both work, both pay the bills, we both do stuff around the house (actually he does a bit more because I need to study during the weekends so he does the chores so I don't have to worry about it). An we plan to keep it like that when we get married. We share everything, so it's only fair that we share chores/bills too!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Have dinner ready.
    Prepare yourself.
    Clear away clutter.
    Prepare the children.
    Minimise all noise.
    Be happy to see him.
    Listen to him.
    Make the evening his.
    Your goal.
    Make him comfortable.

Basically, this is me. I'm not a servant though, some items on the list are stupid. I have a brain, he expects me to use it. He makes the money, I spend it :-) (OK, he's on a gr8 income). 30th wedding anniversary this year, we have 5 adult children and are very happily married.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I think it depends greatly on the person.

I asked my bf, he said no. The only thing he's fussed about is that she helps with the housework. (because he's a very tidy person and quite rightly, doesn't want to do it all himself) I think he likes that I have my own job too, since we have no kids or anything.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    For 20 years i've worked, and my wife has stayed home, and covered everything else.

Perfect for us.
  • jenniferwren
    jenniferwren Posts: 189
    Options
    Unfortunately women, in their pursuit of having it all, are now doing it all!

Working full time, managing the kids, keeping house and doing less than brilliantly at all disciplines, whilst feeling guilty!

There is still a glass ceiling in the workplace and anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves, women are still considered disposable second class citizens we just have to look to the media for that! it's just not spoken about openly but it's there simmering under the surface.

I've done the stressful job, knocking myself out here there and everywhere - jumped off that gravy train aged 38, now I do a couple of part time housekeeping jobs, keep house at home and volunteer, I haven't got a pot to piss in and I've never been happier :laugh:
    My friends refer to me as the 1950's housewife - if I could manage to look as glamorous as the women did back then I would be very happy :happy:

Being part of a couple is to be part of a team and whichever role you take, as long as you are healthy and happy that's all that matters :smile:
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm the main earner in our house and even though we leave for work at the same time in the morning I'm often home at least 2 hours later in the evening.

My husband accepts this and often at least starts making dinner before I get in! I cook at the weekends because I enjoy it and we share the cleaning so it all works pretty well.

Of course that may all change if/when we have children but if one of us was going to stay home long term it would be him, we've already discussed it!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Even better if she earns so much money so you don't have to work. But she'd still be submissive and treat you like a king. And would allow you to sleep around.

Am I right? :lol:

No.

I want my woman to have a full time job, come home, cook, clean, take care of the kids, satisfy me sexually, and then let me go and hang out with my friends all day.
  • Claire_x90
    Claire_x90 Posts: 94
    Options
    I would love to be a traditional house wife! no job! sounds perfect lol ... but I'd like a rich hubby so I could also have a maid
  • jenniferwren
    jenniferwren Posts: 189
    Options
    bahahaha:love::laugh:
    Even better if she earns so much money so you don't have to work. But she'd still be submissive and treat you like a king. And would allow you to sleep around.

Am I right? :lol:

No.

I want my woman to have a full time job, come home, cook, clean, take care of the kids, satisfy me sexually, and then let me go and hang out with my friends all day.