Zimmerman vs. Martin

Options

Replies

• JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.
    He has already been found guilty in the eyes of the media,
    The evidence being presented is why he wasn't charged in the first place - there is not enough for a conviction beyond a shadow of a doubt. Which is what a jury is supposed to convict on... They will be instructed to only vote guilty if they believe the evidence presented paints a picture of guilt "beyond a shadow of a doubt". Most of this case has been for political reasons.
    1) Some fairy tale about racism, but the only racists so far were Martin and his awful lady friend.
    2) Gun laws, which is hilarious since there were 72 shootings in Chicago over the July 4th 4-day weekend. BTW, no media circus.
    FYI, Chicago is only behind D.C. is gun restrictions in regard to ownership. Outlaw guns and only outlaws have them.
    Two stupid people met on a dark night.
    One was a fat neighborhood watch guy who profiled a 6 foot+ man in a hoodie while the other was troubled teen who thought he was going to teach a shorter fat guy a lesson.
    Feel free to tear my post apart, but I won't read it because I don't care.
    I'm going back to losing weight and enjoying my new life.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Third, this was a 6', 17 year old young man. Martin was hardly a 'child'. He was the one who came at Zimmerman first. He was beating the crap out of Zimmerman, the police photos and medical documents prove that.

Fourth, sorry but it was self-defense.

Size isn't the issue. Age is. Seventeen is a child. How mature were you at that age? I am the mother of an 18-year-old college student. I know her friends. They are still children.

As for self-defense/stand your ground, considering that Zimmerman was following Trayvon, couldn't the prosecution make a case that TRAYVON was standing his ground? Zimmerman is responsible by his actions for what happened. Now someone is dead. Had he at the very least remained in his vehicle, this would not have happened.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    17 years old is not a "kid". That's one of the fundamentals of this case. The news media showed pictures of Trayvon years younger than he was for weeks after this first happened, then cast the story in the worst possible light for Zimmerman.

Zimmerman shouldn't have been following him? That's what you do when you are a neighborhood watch. Zimmerman shouldn't be carrying a gun in public, shouldn't want to be a cop? Since when? Zimmerman is an idiot? Wait until the national news media smells a story reporting every sordid detail of YOUR life. The absolute worst thing he did was lie about bond money. Meanwhile, the news media and our entire complicit society lied about the nature of his supposed victim in order to ruin his life, including the prosecution itself. It is nonsense to cast Zimmerman as the uniquely unintelligent or dishonest actor in this situation.

Zimmerman was framed by a media in the process of demonizing gun ownership and efforts at self policing and self defense. He did no worse, and in fact significantly better, than many paid professional police often do when confronted with similar circumstances. He has the scars to attest to the fact HE was attacked. Trayvon was already a convicted criminal.

The whole media circus that created this as a talking point is outright evil. I cannot believe the extent to which it has been able to basically ruin the life of a man who by all accounts was just deeply interested in a career in law enforcement, and had even performed quite well in the classroom in preparation for it.

When it is crime for a so-called "convicted criminal" as you put it to walk down the street.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Both of these miscreants were out looking for trouble. Now one is dead and the other is on trial. I could care less what the outcome is. My only concern is that I am travelling to Orlando on Sunday, for two weeks, and I hope it doesn't turn into a riot if he is found innocent.

I have to kindly disagree. Trayvon had just come from the store purchasing skittles & tea. He was walking back to his father's house, and the rest was history...

I respect your opinion, but I have to say that this is just like the OJ trial. It is, unfortunately, dividing down race lines. When OJ was convicted, a very close female friend asked me if I thought he was guilty. I said "Yes". She accused me of being a racist. Like I said, I don't know all the facts, only what has been in the press. I leave it to the Jury, who will hear and see more than the rest of us. Whatever they decide is fine by me, but, if he is found innocent, I hope it does not become a race riot. That is how the division will take place; by race. Too sad.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, after Casey Anthony walked... I have lost all faith in the Florida justice system.

When OJ walked I lost all faith in the justice system.

That was California... not Florida.

Justice systems vary from state-to-state.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I probably shouldn't post here as I don't know a ton about this case. I stopped following a long time ago because it just frustrates me.

Zimmerman's an idiot. I don't know how accurate it is, because like I said I stopped following, but I read that he was told to stand down yet continued to follow Trayvon, who was unarmed. It sounded to me like he was looking for a fight. Whether or not Trayvon was black, white, or purple, it doesn't matter. Trayvon's past didn't matter either. Tell me that kid was headed to rob someone with a can of tea and skittles. Trayvon isn't on trial - he's dead. Also, last I heard Zimmerman waived his right to a Stand Your Ground trial, which just doesn't make sense if he's claiming self defense.

Yeah, you really know nothing about the case...

I was only stating my own observations. But thank you for repeating what I said myself in the first sentence.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Just in to follow as being Irish, the coverage of the case here isn't much but 1 thing I've seen written here I have to disagree with.
    17 years old IS a kid. To those saying it's not, picture yourself at 17. You were a teenage moron. We all were. Just because you're legally an adult at 18, doesn't mean you're actually grown up.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Everyone here saying 17 is not a kid, are you the same people who would say a 17-year-old having a child is a "baby having a baby"? Why is a 17-year-old a child when he or she is getting into a serious relationship or having sex, but not in this case?
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    2fPdH.gif

This. Neither this thread nor the trial will end well.

I'll be honest, haven't paid attention to what's been going on with the trial .... don't really need to in order to see the inevitable outcome. No eyewitnesses= no Murder 2 = full-blown riot. Right or wrong, that's what's going to go down
  • personality58
    personality58 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I believe that he is guilty also. Since Zimmerman was a neighborhood watchman and following Martin, wouldn't it have been wise for a person wanting to be a policeman first to ask Martin did he stay in the neighborhood? Where were he headed? Ask him his name, and most of all Identify himself as being a neighborhood watchman in order for the boy not to be afraid of why he was following him. Does neighborhood watchmen have protocol that they have to follow? In order for this type of thing not to happen. How can a man be in authority when they can't follow authority? Because he was told not too pursue, by authority. What would you do if you were being pursued by someone?
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Both of these miscreants were out looking for trouble. Now one is dead and the other is on trial. I could care less what the outcome is. My only concern is that I am travelling to Orlando on Sunday, for two weeks, and I hope it doesn't turn into a riot if he is found innocent.

I have to kindly disagree. Trayvon had just come from the store purchasing skittles & tea. He was walking back to his father's house, and the rest was history...

I respect your opinion, but I have to say that this is just like the OJ trial. It is, unfortunately, dividing down race lines. When OJ was convicted, a very close female friend asked me if I thought he was guilty. I said "Yes". She accused me of being a racist. Like I said, I don't know all the facts, only what has been in the press. I leave it to the Jury, who will hear and see more than the rest of us. Whatever they decide is fine by me, but, if he is found innocent, I hope it does not become a race riot. That is how the division will take place; by race. Too sad.

I can agree with that. I pray it doesn't become a race riot as well. I believe only Zimmerman, Martin & God knows what REALLY happened that night. So, we shall see. The defense is due to rest today.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Just in to follow as being Irish, the coverage of the case here isn't much but 1 thing I've seen written here I have to disagree with.
    17 years old IS a kid. To those saying it's not, picture yourself at 17. You were a teenage moron. We all were. Just because you're legally an adult at 18, doesn't mean you're actually grown up.

This is true. The brain doesn't stop developing neuro-pathways until you are 25. The only reason why people are considered an adult at 18 is so they can enlist in the military without parent's permission.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Honestly, after Casey Anthony walked... I have lost all faith in the Florida justice system.

That one corrected itself in time. lol

The whole thing was a set up and OJ was a fool not to realize it, just goes to show that human beings are too greedy for possessions, that are o use to us once we leave this earth. What's amazing is that a drunk driver could kill someone and would have gotten less time than what was given to OJ.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, a young man was walking through a gated community, talking on the phone, while he made his way back to his place after buying snacks at a convenience store.

And some dude, under the guise of being part of a neighborhood watch, accosted him. AFTER the police told him not to.

Now, if some son of a b approached me, and I told him to back off, and he didn't and we got into a scuffle where I ended up getting shot?

Who is guilty? What, if someone approaches me in a confrontational way, I'm not supposed to defend myself?

I don't care if Trayvon is percieved as a child or a thug. He was minding his own business and Zimmerman instigated. Had Zimmerman done what the police TOLD him to do, Trayvon would have kept on walking and none of this would have happened.

This is my take on it. And it doesn't matter to me that Trayvon got in trouble at school or smoked pot. He is 17. Lots of kids behave this way and grow up to be 100% awesome contributing members of society.

Trayvon didn't get the chance to do that because a grown assed man approached him and started a fight. Unreal.
  • rml_16
    Options

That one corrected itself in time. lol

The whole thing was a set up and OJ was a fool not to realize it, just goes to show that human beings are too greedy for possessions, that are o use to us once we leave this earth. What's amazing is that a drunk driver could kill someone and would have gotten less time than what was given to OJ.
    Ugh. Don't even get me started on the joke our drunk driving laws are.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    What's amazing is that a drunk driver could kill someone and would have gotten less time than what was given to OJ.

OJ wasn't convicted. :huh:

Are you referring to his armed robbery charge? Of which he was video-taped in the commission of the crime?
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, a young man was walking through a gated community, talking on the phone, while he made his way back to his place after buying snacks at a convenience store.

And some dude, under the guise of being part of a neighborhood watch, accosted him. AFTER the police told him not to.

Now, if some son of a b approached me, and I told him to back off, and he didn't and we got into a scuffle where I ended up getting shot?

Who is guilty? What, if someone approaches me in a confrontational way, I'm not supposed to defend myself?

I don't care if Trayvon is percieved as a child or a thug. He was minding his own business and Zimmerman instigated. Had Zimmerman done what the police TOLD him to do, Trayvon would have kept on walking and none of this would have happened.

This is my take on it. And it doesn't matter to me that Trayvon got in trouble at school or smoked pot. He is 17. Lots of kids behave this way and grow up to be 100% awesome contributing members of society.

Trayvon didn't get the chance to do that because a grown assed man approached him and started a fight. Unreal.

YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS^^^^^^^:drinker:
  • CEThornton
    CEThornton Posts: 45
    Options
    I believe it was a travesty that Zimmerman was even charged with 2nd degree murder... i also think it's total bs that the Prosecution from Duval County is handling the case.
    oh... and as to how Zimmerman could shoot a child? at 17 years of age Martin was NOT a child, yes legally a minor but still not a child. as far as Zimmerman (Theoretically) was concerned... he had an adult male aggressor to deal with as soon as he was jumped. repeatedly bashing someone's head into the concrete could have and would have killed him, so he defended himself.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Why do you hope he is found guilty?

Is it because the news shows Martin as a 10 year old kid in all his pics? Martin was a thug, drug dealer, "gangster", etc..

Do I think Zimmerman is an idiot want to be cop? Yes. But he will never get changed with murder 2.

All of Zimmerman's story is lining up as well. He's going to walk and there will be a huge race war over nothing.

God I hate this world.

Its amazing that you were so close to Martin that you know exactly that he was a thug, drug dealer and "gangster". Were you one of his customers? If George Zimmerman have nothing to hide, let him take the stand and tell all the world what actually took place. Why do we need to have his evidence animated, ask yourself that question, if that was one of your relatives, would you be happy to have an animated account of what actually took place, whilst the killer sits a couple of feet away. The big elephant in the room is that if Zimmerman had followed instructions, Martin would have been alive today. The whole case is flawed from the start, Zimmerman knows what he did, and even if he walks, he have to live with his conscience. I hope he realize that life is a circle, something we as human beings fail to acknowledge.

The police videoed Zimmerman re-enacting the incident and answering the investigator's questions. This was a lengthy video.

The evidence supports Zimmerman's story.

Zimmerman was not ordered to "stand down" or "cease and desist". The dispatcher basically stated, "oh we dont need you to do that" or something to the effect. There is a difference between a suggestion and an order. Regardless, Zimmerman still had the right to walk and follow anyone.

When Travon eluded Zimmerman he should have went home, instead he chose to confront and that is what got him killed.

With crime as it is we need an active community, we need to get our neighbor's back. I have seen suspicious activities and have assisted the police very similar to what Zimmerman did, and I received praise. Go figure.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    IN!