Deadlifting on Smith Machine

Options

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

No way to really assess your form since the smith machine has you locked in a specific range of motion.
    There are only a few lifts I'd consider using a smith machine for and deadlifts or squats are not one of them.

I do shrugs and inverted rows on it. Are shrugs ok on the Smith?

For shrugs the bar path is so small the Smith machine's angle will have virtually zero effect. On that basis I'd say you would be fine (similar for calf raises - I sometimes do these in Smith machine, toes on a platform, bar on shoulders). For rows, I wouldn't, the Smith's path will throw you off ideal every time.

I'd say that was true of the smith machines angle on regular shrugs, fairly pointless en-devour. Due to your body angle on a behind back shrugs, it is pretty effective, and one I've seen many lifters do in multiple gyms.

Hadn't considered calf raises.

Agreed rowing is a terrible idea, but an inverted row the bar is static so there is no issue with the path like the upright row. Horrible enough exercise without a smith never mind with its path getting in the damn way haha.

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I do bent over rows on the Smith Machine, do to low back problems. It keeps the pressure off of my back. Is it the most ideal, no, but it still gets the job done. Deadlifts or squats is another story.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    The only thing I use the smith for is calf raises. I use to do heavy shrugs in the smith (as noted above, the path is too short to be affected by the angle) but there's actually a sign on the smith now which reads "Please do not deadlift or do heavy shrugs on this machine."
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    No, just no!
  • hec1985
    hec1985 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Along with what everyone has said already...doing deadlifts on a smith machine is not a good idea. It's very deceiving, doing two plates on that does not translate at all do doing the same weight free weight. I'd suggest doing them free weight with low weight till you get the form right and by no means try to do two plates free weight starting out, you may hurt yourself.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    No way to really assess your form since the smith machine has you locked in a specific range of motion.
    There are only a few lifts I'd consider using a smith machine for and deadlifts or squats are not one of them.

I do shrugs and inverted rows on it. Are shrugs ok on the Smith?

Lifts I do or would consider in a smith machine:
    Seated OHP
    Shrugs
    Rows
    Calf raises

That's about it.

If I'm traveling and a smith machine is the only thing available at the hotel (and a real gym is either too far away or expensive for just a few days) I would do bench in it.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Strong Front Double Bicep 10/10, would make into a gif.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I would rather deadlift heavy rocks outside than use a Smith machine. If you have access to a barbell, use it!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Is a good idea? How's my form?

https://youtu.be/b-JtK4GoiTs

This may be the worst idea I have seen in a while...

Nah, the deadlift/burpee guy had the worst idea.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36677833#Comment_36677833
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    20150915-what-did-you-just-say.gif
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

@ShreddedTweet he asked if it is a good idea and it's not so we were truthful. You want us to lie? The Smith machine sucks.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This may be the worst idea I have seen in a while...

itot05qjmt9c.jpg

How about this for a bad idea...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Why are you so attached to the Smith machine?
  • johnnifast
    johnnifast Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everybody has to start somewhere. But try using the barbell next time. Lower the weight and work on form freely (not on a smith machine).

At LA Fitness here in Los Angeles, the smith machine bar is 20 lbs (typical barbell is 45). Two 45's on each with smith bar is 200 lbs. Keep it up and try using it with a regular barbell.
  • nietos006
    nietos006 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why so much bashing?? We're supposed to be lifting each other up in fitness and health, not tearing people down. Training may be new to many people using the myfitnesspal. He asked for help, nothing more.

However, I agree with not using the smith machine for deadlift. Free weights are more favorable for this movement because it increases difficulty due to stability and lack of aid compared to the smith machine. When you get to a rack, you'll definitely feel the difference. You can most certainly still do this move with dumbbells or a barbell. If the free weights aren't heavy enough at your facility, then I wouldn't know what advice to give except maybe looking for a gym in the area that offers that equipment if possible.

Good luck!
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    That's 2 plates by the way. 100kg (225 lbs)
    Unless your smith machine is 45lbs which most aren't. Then it isn't 225. And you'll always be able to lift more in a smith since it takes all the stability work out of the lift.

There's a sign on the machine saying that the unloaded weight is 45 lbs. I'm pretty sure it's correct because my Smith bench is only slightly higher than barbell bench. As to why I am using it, there is no barbell at the gym. It's just my condo gym, not a commercial gym.

Do your deadlifts at the gym that you do your bench presses?

This

Now that I read back my post, I should have clarified that I was comparing my bench press from when I did have access to a barbell ☺. I'll be joining a new gym that's opening in August so I will have access to a barbell again then. For now I have to improvise with the Smith machine or dumbbells.

From the feedback I see here, I know now that it was a crap idea to use this machine for deadlifts!

For the record, I have a video of myself doing barbell deadlifts last year:

https://youtu.be/PR86oerpOkA

That's 135 lbs for 5 reps. Any advice?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nietos006 wrote: »
    Why so much bashing?? We're supposed to be lifting each other up in fitness and health, not tearing people down. Training may be new to many people using the myfitnesspal. He asked for help, nothing more.

However, I agree with not using the smith machine for deadlift. Free weights are more favorable for this movement because it increases difficulty due to stability and lack of aid compared to the smith machine. When you get to a rack, you'll definitely feel the difference. You can most certainly still do this move with dumbbells or a barbell. If the free weights aren't heavy enough at your facility, then I wouldn't know what advice to give except maybe looking for a gym in the area that offers that equipment if possible.

Good luck!

you just tore him down by saying to not to deadlift in a smith, which is what everyone else did ...

holy double standard!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

That's 135 lbs for 5 reps. Any advice?

yikes. you need to roll and lock your shoulders way more back and tight. Dont jerk the bar off the floor, pull slower and more controlled. Sit down deeper into it, pull in and up, drag the bar up your shins. And get tighter before you pull, you are waaaay too loose.