Deadlifting on Smith Machine

Options
Is a good idea? How's my form?

https://youtu.be/b-JtK4GoiTs

Replies

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    That's 2 plates by the way. 100kg (225 lbs)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Well done on the weight but, IMHO you should not deadlift in the smith machine. Good deadlift form is impossible in this piece of kit. Set up a barbell and use that for your deadlifts.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Unless your smith machine is 45lbs which most aren't. Then it isn't 225. And you'll always be able to lift more in a smith since it takes all the stability work out of the lift.

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Unless your smith machine is 45lbs which most aren't. Then it isn't 225. And you'll always be able to lift more in a smith since it takes all the stability work out of the lift.

There's a sign on the machine saying that the unloaded weight is 45 lbs. I'm pretty sure it's correct because my Smith bench is only slightly higher than barbell bench. As to why I am using it, there is no barbell at the gym. It's just my condo gym, not a commercial gym.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    yikes, deadlifting in the smith machine??
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I thought that was called a rack pull anyway. Someone explain the difference?
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »
    I thought that was called a rack pull anyway. Someone explain the difference?

A rack pull is a deadlift variant where you start with the weight above ground level, typically supported on the arms of a power-lifting cage - see http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/rack-pulls for example.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    No way to really assess your form since the smith machine has you locked in a specific range of motion.
    There are only a few lifts I'd consider using a smith machine for and deadlifts or squats are not one of them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

There's a sign on the machine saying that the unloaded weight is 45 lbs. I'm pretty sure it's correct because my Smith bench is only slightly higher than barbell bench. As to why I am using it, there is no barbell at the gym. It's just my condo gym, not a commercial gym.

Do your deadlifts at the gym that you do your bench presses?

This
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Is a good idea? How's my form?

https://youtu.be/b-JtK4GoiTs

This may be the worst idea I have seen in a while...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    No way to really assess your form since the smith machine has you locked in a specific range of motion.
    There are only a few lifts I'd consider using a smith machine for and deadlifts or squats are not one of them.

I do shrugs and inverted rows on it. Are shrugs ok on the Smith?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I think behind back shrugs are the only time I go near a smith, its not worth the looks you get when you invert row haha. Those poor folks waiting who could be doing poor form squats and benching.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

For shrugs the bar path is so small the Smith machine's angle will have virtually zero effect. On that basis I'd say you would be fine (similar for calf raises - I sometimes do these in Smith machine, toes on a platform, bar on shoulders). For rows, I wouldn't, the Smith's path will throw you off ideal every time.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I'd say you're fine. Inverted rows were my primary use of the Smith machine. I do shrugs in there once in a while, and can't say I've noticed a difference.