Deadlifting on Smith Machine

Options

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    @Carlos_421 great advice, but why are shorts a bad idea?? I don't wear shorts anyway, but just curious.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    @Carlos_421 great advice, but why are shorts a bad idea?? I don't wear shorts anyway, but just curious.

Because the rough texture of the iron bar will scrape the skin right off your shins.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Because the rough texture of the iron bar will scrape the skin right off your shins.

you can wear long socks if you want, to protect your shins if you want to wear shorts.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Re the bar deadlift video: My impressions are:
    • flatten your back
    • take your arms out of the lift- they should be like string attached to the bar.
    • I think you would benefit from leaning back slightly when in the starting position to put more weight over the heels.

Best wishes
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    That's 2 plates by the way. 100kg (225 lbs)
    Unless your smith machine is 45lbs which most aren't. Then it isn't 225. And you'll always be able to lift more in a smith since it takes all the stability work out of the lift.

There's a sign on the machine saying that the unloaded weight is 45 lbs. I'm pretty sure it's correct because my Smith bench is only slightly higher than barbell bench. As to why I am using it, there is no barbell at the gym. It's just my condo gym, not a commercial gym.

Do your deadlifts at the gym that you do your bench presses?

This

Now that I read back my post, I should have clarified that I was comparing my bench press from when I did have access to a barbell ☺. I'll be joining a new gym that's opening in August so I will have access to a barbell again then. For now I have to improvise with the Smith machine or dumbbells.

From the feedback I see here, I know now that it was a crap idea to use this machine for deadlifts!

For the record, I have a video of myself doing barbell deadlifts last year:

https://youtu.be/PR86oerpOkA

That's 135 lbs for 5 reps. Any advice?

Id personally start by already having my shoulders drawn back before even touching the bar, and preform the movement in a slower controlled motion. It's a deadlift not a clean and jerk.

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

yikes. you need to roll and lock your shoulders way more back and tight. Dont jerk the bar off the floor, pull slower and more controlled. Sit down deeper into it, pull in and up, drag the bar up your shins. And get tighter before you pull, you are waaaay too loose.

Thanks Sonya. Appreciate feedback from a competitive powerlifter! As you can probably tell from my physique, I'm a middle distance runner. I'm just learning this lifting game
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    Unless your smith machine is 45lbs which most aren't. Then it isn't 225. And you'll always be able to lift more in a smith since it takes all the stability work out of the lift.

There's a sign on the machine saying that the unloaded weight is 45 lbs. I'm pretty sure it's correct because my Smith bench is only slightly higher than barbell bench. As to why I am using it, there is no barbell at the gym. It's just my condo gym, not a commercial gym.

This

Now that I read back my post, I should have clarified that I was comparing my bench press from when I did have access to a barbell ☺. I'll be joining a new gym that's opening in August so I will have access to a barbell again then. For now I have to improvise with the Smith machine or dumbbells.

From the feedback I see here, I know now that it was a crap idea to use this machine for deadlifts!

Lots of back rounding. You want to keep that back tight and straight which means your butt's gonna come down a little more, your knees may go forward a tad and shorts are gonna be a bad idea.

You're also locking out your knees fast and early then lifting with your back. That's a recipe for disaster when you get into heavier weights. The deadlift is all about the hip hinge. Don't think of it as picking the weight off the floor so much as hinging your hips forward to straiten your body while the weight adds resistance.

Feet shoulder width apart, line the bar up with the middle of the top of your foot. Grab the bar just on either side of your legs and with a straight back, hinge your hips back and tuck your shoulder blades into your back pockets.
    At this point the bar should still be lined up across the middle of your feet, your knees bent until shins are touching the bar (hence no shorts unless you wanna bleed) and shoulders directly above the bar. Someone looking from the side should see a straight vertical line from your mid foot to the bar to your shoulders. Back is straight with no hyperextending (reverse arch). Get a deep breath to tighten your entire core and support your back.

Then hold the bar tight while you push the floor down with your feet and bring your hips forward. Knees and hips should finish about the same time. To release, follow the same motions, keeping your back straight while hinging hips back to let the floor back up to the weights.

With proper form, not only will the movement feel better but you'll be surprised by how much more you can lift.

Wow, thanks for this Carlos! Very detailed advice. Thanks for taking all the time to write it.
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    Re the bar deadlift video: My impressions are:
    • flatten your back
    • take your arms out of the lift- they should be like string attached to the bar.
    • I think you would benefit from leaning back slightly when in the starting position to put more weight over the heels.

Best wishes

Thanks for the concise advice. Appreciate it
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

sometimes that happens with pants on too....
  • ndj1979
    Options

This

Lots of back rounding. You want to keep that back tight and straight which means your butt's gonna come down a little more, your knees may go forward a tad and shorts are gonna be a bad idea.

You're also locking out your knees fast and early then lifting with your back. That's a recipe for disaster when you get into heavier weights. The deadlift is all about the hip hinge. Don't think of it as picking the weight off the floor so much as hinging your hips forward to straiten your body while the weight adds resistance.

Feet shoulder width apart, line the bar up with the middle of the top of your foot. Grab the bar just on either side of your legs and with a straight back, hinge your hips back and tuck your shoulder blades into your back pockets.
    At this point the bar should still be lined up across the middle of your feet, your knees bent until shins are touching the bar (hence no shorts unless you wanna bleed) and shoulders directly above the bar. Someone looking from the side should see a straight vertical line from your mid foot to the bar to your shoulders. Back is straight with no hyperextending (reverse arch). Get a deep breath to tighten your entire core and support your back.

Then hold the bar tight while you push the floor down with your feet and bring your hips forward. Knees and hips should finish about the same time. To release, follow the same motions, keeping your back straight while hinging hips back to let the floor back up to the weights.

With proper form, not only will the movement feel better but you'll be surprised by how much more you can lift.

Wow, thanks for this Carlos! Very detailed advice. Thanks for taking all the time to write it.

a good Que for your set up is think of pushing your but as far back as possible, this should help lock your back in ...

• ndj1979
    Options
    Actually, I agree with @ShreddedTweet

OP may be a beginner to this form of exercise. Once upon a time, I started squatting on the smithmachine too before transitioning to barbell squats.

I apologize if I said anything harsh.

At some point, transition to a barbell.

nor harsh, just wrong..

you should not be learning how to squat in a smith, because smith ...
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    All good advice but I don't think anybody has specifically pointed this out. Your rear is the first thing that moves in your video, and it shouldn't be. Keeping your back in a neutral position and driving through your legs (think of pushing the ground away from you) will help keep your butt low.

getting completely tight and engaged and in the right position before pulling will keep the butt down. The butt comes up when you aren't rock solid tight. It takes some time to train your body to engage every muscle in your body (this is the granddaddy of all lifts) Pulling any slack out of the bar helps , Among other things, i pull the slack out of the bar then raise my hips up to lock up my hams and glutes and keeping them tight i drop them back down and pull. You're body needs to be a rock and locked into position. For me, my cue isn't "pulling up the bar", my cue is to just stand up without leaning forward. super simple. all the power comes from my legs.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

sometimes that happens with pants on too....

Too true. I also don't wear my favorite pants on deadlift day either because I don't want to wear holes in em.

• richardpkennedy1
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    All good advice but I don't think anybody has specifically pointed this out. Your rear is the first thing that moves in your video, and it shouldn't be. Keeping your back in a neutral position and driving through your legs (think of pushing the ground away from you) will help keep your butt low.

getting completely tight and engaged and in the right position before pulling will keep the butt down. The butt comes up when you aren't rock solid tight. It takes some time to train your body to engage every muscle in your body (this is the granddaddy of all lifts) Pulling any slack out of the bar helps , Among other things, i pull the slack out of the bar then raise my hips up to lock up my hams and glutes and keeping them tight i drop them back down and pull. You're body needs to be a rock and locked into position. For me, my cue isn't "pulling up the bar", my cue is to just stand up without leaning forward. super simple. all the power comes from my legs.

Wow this is awesome advice. Never thought of it like that! How much do you deadline?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    No way to really assess your form since the smith machine has you locked in a specific range of motion.
    There are only a few lifts I'd consider using a smith machine for and deadlifts or squats are not one of them.

I do shrugs and inverted rows on it. Are shrugs ok on the Smith?

I feel like shrugs is the go to lift on the smith machine for some reason, everyone loves to load it up with as many plates as possible and do shrugs with their wrist wraps.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No straps for me lol
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

I would think it would make the lift easier since you aren't starting as low so have less space to travel for the lift, besides that I feel like you are missing all the good parts of deadlift since it is just a fixed motion, and you don't get to use all those cool stabilizing muscles.