Deadlifting on Smith Machine

Options

Replies

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    OP, you can deadlift with dumbells if you like and I would also recommend the goblet squat as you'll be able to go pretty heavy with a dumbell and it'll help you get your butt down further.

Thanks for this. Someone recommended a goblet squat to me recently.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Shoulders need to go back and down - imagine tying your scapula to your waistband!
    Then tighten every single muscle in your body, breathe in, brace your core and stand up!
    Don't think about lifting the bar, think about keeping your back straight, muscles taught and standing up. Your hips go forward but don't think about that too much either or you'll end up snapping/jerking whereas you need to be slow and controlled in a deadlift.
    I would suggest cutting the weight down until you have the form down to perfect. You can prop the barbell up on a couple of plates if you need to use small plates on each end.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going down to go down 100 lbs deadlifts to get my form right (when I have access to a barbell again). Will post vids. Are there any other lifts I can do with dumbbells to build overall power?

Go to 135. Less and you'll change the leverages caused by using smaller plates. 135 will be at the height your deadlifting "career" will be at regularly.

I'm doing 135 in the video above. Was advised to go lower.

It was poor advice. You weren't even close to struggling with the weight in your video and proper form will actually enable you to lift more.

Personally I'd say OP was struggling with the weight because otherwise his form wouldn't have collapsed! Hence why I advised to practice form with lower weight and I did recognise that he would need to prop up on plates to get the correct height.

his form didn't collapse because of the weight, his form was off because it needed to be fixed, an easy fix and that weight will be even easier for him once he makes those few adjustments.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Shoulders need to go back and down - imagine tying your scapula to your waistband!
    Then tighten every single muscle in your body, breathe in, brace your core and stand up!
    Don't think about lifting the bar, think about keeping your back straight, muscles taught and standing up. Your hips go forward but don't think about that too much either or you'll end up snapping/jerking whereas you need to be slow and controlled in a deadlift.
    I would suggest cutting the weight down until you have the form down to perfect. You can prop the barbell up on a couple of plates if you need to use small plates on each end.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going down to go down 100 lbs deadlifts to get my form right (when I have access to a barbell again). Will post vids. Are there any other lifts I can do with dumbbells to build overall power?

Go to 135. Less and you'll change the leverages caused by using smaller plates. 135 will be at the height your deadlifting "career" will be at regularly.

It was poor advice. You weren't even close to struggling with the weight in your video and proper form will actually enable you to lift more.

Personally I'd say OP was struggling with the weight because otherwise his form wouldn't have collapsed! Hence why I advised to practice form with lower weight and I did recognise that he would need to prop up on plates to get the correct height.
    OK thanks. It was a little difficult. Maybe same weight but less reps?

yes same weight or even more , less reps. You should actually be doing 1 rep at a time, resetting in between and really focusing on your form and set up and getting tight for the next rep. Once you get it all dialed in you could do some light sets of 3 or 5 or 8. But as you get heavier, sets of 1 are good for deadlifts. Its such a massive lift that 1 rep heavy sets are fine.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

his form didn't collapse because of the weight, his form was off because it needed to be fixed, an easy fix and that weight will be even easier for him once he makes those few adjustments.

Agreed. People need to stop trying to rebuild a lift from zero. Form will change with weight on the bar.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

I disagree. The best deadlifters tend to depress and protract their shoulder blades. They will not stay retracted under heavy loads.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »

I disagree. The best deadlifters tend to depress and protract their shoulder blades. They will not stay retracted under heavy loads.

Sorry to hijack but I might also learn something here - what do others think about this? I've always been told I need to put my shoulderblades in my back pockets and pull tight for Deadlifts (and all lifts in fact) but is this not right? I'm not a professional! SonyaCele, what's your thoughts since you're a pro lifter?
  • BalletAndBarbells
    Options

OK thanks. It was a little difficult. Maybe same weight but less reps?

Same weight, less reps could work! Certainly work ok form rather than number of reps. The advice I've always been given is that if you do a poor form rep, stop and reset and then try again to show yourself you can do it! I'm not a pro so I would take SonyaCele's advice over mine!!
  • BalletAndBarbells
    Options

Thanks SonyaCele, maybe this is where I am going wrong - I always drop back 5kg if my form slips and work hard until I feel ready to build again - is this the wrong thing to do?
  • SonyaCele
    Options

Sorry to hijack but I might also learn something here - what do others think about this? I've always been told I need to put my shoulderblades in my back pockets and pull tight for Deadlifts (and all lifts in fact) but is this not right? I'm not a professional! SonyaCele, what's your thoughts since you're a pro lifter?

i have no idea what he means by depress and protact and retracted. I roll my shoulders down and back and hold them tight. yes for all lifts. and i keep them back tight even under heavy loads. thats where the strength is, in a tight solid upper body. and lol, i woudlnt really call myself a pro lifter
  • SonyaCele
    Options

Thanks SonyaCele, maybe this is where I am going wrong - I always drop back 5kg if my form slips and work hard until I feel ready to build again - is this the wrong thing to do?

If its really heavy, then yeah drop weight to more comfortable working weight. But ideally correcting your form will make the weight easier, so its not always an issue of going lighter, its just an issue of correcting form. In richard's video, the weight was easy for him, and when he makes the couple fixes people have recommended he's gonna see that 135 is super easy.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You're not getting anywhere near a good starting position and I looks like you're using mostly your back. The deadlift is driven almost entirely by the legs and glutes when done correctly.
  • Fittreelol
    Options

i have no idea what he means by depress and protact and retracted. I roll my shoulders down and back and hold them tight. yes for all lifts. and i keep them back tight even under heavy loads. thats where the strength is, in a tight solid upper body. and lol, i woudlnt really call myself a pro lifter

@BalletAndBarbells If you don't understand the mechanics why are you giving advice without a preface such as "this is what I have read?" You stated the shoulders need to go back and down. This is what is known respectively as retraction and depression when referring to the shoulder blade specifically. Depression activates the lats. If you try to retract your scapulae through the entire lift the rhomboids and middle traps would be the limiting factor theoretically. Practically they just relax and then protract the scapula (move towards the front of the body). This lack of tightness can also cause thoracic flexion/rounding during the lift which is generally frowned upon (not to be confused with purposeful thoracic flexion in preparation for the lift which is generally not agreed upon by anyone as okay or harmful, but does decrease ROM.) Again this is why the best deadlifters such as Ed Coan and Kimberly Walford protract their scapula in preparation for the lift. It is completely possible to make your upper body "tight" with the scapula in any given position.

There are technically no professional powerlifters although some federations have a "pro" division which just translates to untested. I'm not sure why someone lifting automatically validates what they have to say, but in that case I'm also a competitive power lifter with a fairly decent total.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

@BalletAndBarbells If you don't understand the mechanics why are you giving advice without a preface such as "this is what I have read?" You stated the shoulders need to go back and down. This is what is known respectively as retraction and depression when referring to the shoulder blade specifically. Depression activates the lats. If you try to retract your scapulae through the entire lift the rhomboids and middle traps would be the limiting factor theoretically. Practically they just relax and then protract the scapula (move towards the front of the body). This lack of tightness can also cause thoracic flexion/rounding during the lift which is generally frowned upon (not to be confused with purposeful thoracic flexion in preparation for the lift which is generally not agreed upon by anyone as okay or harmful, but does decrease ROM.) Again this is why the best deadlifters such as Ed Coan and Kimberly Walford protract their scapula in preparation for the lift. It is completely possible to make your upper body "tight" with the scapula in any given position.

There are technically no professional powerlifters although some federations have a "pro" division which just translates to untested. I'm not sure why someone lifting automatically validates what they have to say, but in that case I'm also a competitive power lifter with a fairly decent total.

well that's a whole lot of big words and fancy way of saying "roll your shoulders down and back and get tight" I've honestly never heard any of those big words in the gym before, i guess i dont read enough books. Im not sure what i'd think if my coach told me to protract my throrax and retract my scapulea or whatever it is you are saying. I do much better with simple words like "get tight"
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Slate her for the above, then clearly go a google search, copy and paste. Bravo sir
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This is an interesting point to me and it's one that I discussed with a few people over the past week to get opinions.

To my knowledge, the muscles that retract the scapula can't maintain scapular retraction with enough weight on the bar which is why scapular retraction isn't something you necessarily want.

However, for most beginners and intermediates (and some advanced lifters) you do want thoracic extension. It's possible to have thoracic extension with protracted shoulders but I don't think most beginners have good enough motor control to do that. I also think that it's possible that coaches who DO insist on scapular retraction are doing it with the intent to create thoracic extension -- I could be wrong on this though.

This (to me) is a good topic though.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

well that's a whole lot of big words and fancy way of saying "roll your shoulders down and back and get tight" I've honestly never heard any of those big words in the gym before, i guess i dont read enough books. Im not sure what i'd think if my coach told me to protract my throrax and retract my scapulea or whatever it is you are saying. I do much better with simple words like "get tight"

Tony Gentilecore has a nice cue for getting tight. He suggests pretending you.are squeezing oranges in your armpits.
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

This is an interesting point to me and it's one that I discussed with a few people over the past week to get opinions.

To my knowledge, the muscles that retract the scapula can't maintain scapular retraction with enough weight on the bar which is why scapular retraction isn't something you necessarily want.

However, for most beginners and intermediates (and some advanced lifters) you do want thoracic extension. It's possible to have thoracic extension with protracted shoulders but I don't think most beginners have good enough motor control to do that. I also think that it's possible that coaches who DO insist on scapular retraction are doing it with the intent to create thoracic extension -- I could be wrong on this though.

I think the motor control would be there, but beginners can only remember so many cues at once so it might get lost. For most lifters thoracic extension, scapular depression, and keeping the shoulder blades neutral in regards to the frontal plane is probably completely fine. The scapulae will naturally protract when at a heavy enough weight. I think the potential issues happen when you're attempting to force retraction against 300/400/500+ lbs and the retraction can't hold.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »
    I thought that was called a rack pull anyway. Someone explain the difference?

A rack pull is done with a barbell. It sits on the power rack and generally begins at a height above where a standard deadlift would start, maybe just below the knee.

• Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It would be better to use less weight and learn proper form and the true range of motion!

It's almost as bad as just running on treadmills!
    A person goes to run without the treadmill, injuries are bound to happen especially if that is all they use. As the machine helps moves your legs, assistance can be bad. (but that is a another story.)

The weight,range of motion is so different on the Smith Machine, it's just not worth it. I wouldn't use it for any movement, not even bench.

You should stop now, but do feel free to do what you want! It can/will create imbalances as your body learns the pattern which can cause injuries, it gives a false range of motion and possible false ego.

I didn't know this post was old, it just came up in recent post. You have already gotten plenty of good advice!

• SonyaCele
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I think the motor control would be there, but beginners can only remember so many cues at once so it might get lost. For most lifters thoracic extension, scapular depression, and keeping the shoulder blades neutral in regards to the frontal plane is probably completely fine. The scapulae will naturally protract when at a heavy enough weight. I think the potential issues happen when you're attempting to force retraction against 300/400/500+ lbs and the retraction can't hold.

i dont think this would be an issue when you are at a good solid working weight or even a somewhat challenging weight. i think this might be the case when you're going for a massive PR? which could be any weight depending on that person. So it shouldn't be an every day thing that happens in training.