PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Tough crowd......
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    Tough crowd......

Well he asked and deadlifting (and squatting) using the Smith machine is a bad idea
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    All good advice but I don't think anybody has specifically pointed this out. Your rear is the first thing that moves in your video, and it shouldn't be. Keeping your back in a neutral position and driving through your legs (think of pushing the ground away from you) will help keep your butt low.

getting completely tight and engaged and in the right position before pulling will keep the butt down. The butt comes up when you aren't rock solid tight. It takes some time to train your body to engage every muscle in your body (this is the granddaddy of all lifts) Pulling any slack out of the bar helps , Among other things, i pull the slack out of the bar then raise my hips up to lock up my hams and glutes and keeping them tight i drop them back down and pull. You're body needs to be a rock and locked into position. For me, my cue isn't "pulling up the bar", my cue is to just stand up without leaning forward. super simple. all the power comes from my legs.

Wow this is awesome advice. Never thought of it like that! How much do you deadline?

oh i'm just a broken old lady. my 1rm is 305.

Lol. If a broken old lady can deadlift 305, what does that make me?!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    @Carlos_421 great advice, but why are shorts a bad idea?? I don't wear shorts anyway, but just curious.

Because the rough texture of the iron bar will scrape the skin right off your shins.

sometimes that happens with pants on too....

Too true. I also don't wear my favorite pants on deadlift day either because I don't want to wear holes in em.

I thought this was going somewhere else. I've been listening to Mark Bell and his poop stories too much.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    @Carlos_421 great advice, but why are shorts a bad idea?? I don't wear shorts anyway, but just curious.

Because the rough texture of the iron bar will scrape the skin right off your shins.

Too true. I also don't wear my favorite pants on deadlift day either because I don't want to wear holes in em.

I thought this was going somewhere else. I've been listening to Mark Bell and his poop stories too much.

Lol! The first rule of deadlifts: poop first.
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you... but that's an 80kg rack pull.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    This may be the worst idea I have seen in a while...

itot05qjmt9c.jpg

How about this for a bad idea...

I see some fitness models in YouTube videos doing that. Really silly and dangerous. I also see others standing on the hip adduction/abduction machine instead of being seated and using the equipment the way it was designed.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Lol! The first rule of deadlifts: poop first.

:D

I haven't been QUITE there yet but the other day was the first time I was like....I should really try and take a pee before I pick this up.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    This may be the worst idea I have seen in a while...

itot05qjmt9c.jpg

How about this for a bad idea...

I see some fitness models in YouTube videos doing that. Really silly and dangerous. I also see others standing on the hip adduction/abduction machine instead of being seated and using the equipment the way it was designed.

Its an old school leg press variations. Put the saftey stops in on the smith machine and it's fine
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Shoulders need to go back and down - imagine tying your scapula to your waistband!
    Then tighten every single muscle in your body, breathe in, brace your core and stand up!
    Don't think about lifting the bar, think about keeping your back straight, muscles taught and standing up. Your hips go forward but don't think about that too much either or you'll end up snapping/jerking whereas you need to be slow and controlled in a deadlift.
    I would suggest cutting the weight down until you have the form down to perfect. You can prop the barbell up on a couple of plates if you need to use small plates on each end.
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    Shoulders need to go back and down - imagine tying your scapula to your waistband!
    Then tighten every single muscle in your body, breathe in, brace your core and stand up!
    Don't think about lifting the bar, think about keeping your back straight, muscles taught and standing up. Your hips go forward but don't think about that too much either or you'll end up snapping/jerking whereas you need to be slow and controlled in a deadlift.
    I would suggest cutting the weight down until you have the form down to perfect. You can prop the barbell up on a couple of plates if you need to use small plates on each end.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going down to go down 100 lbs deadlifts to get my form right (when I have access to a barbell again). Will post vids. Are there any other lifts I can do with dumbbells to build overall power?
  • Shawshankcan
    Options

Thanks for the tips. I'm going down to go down 100 lbs deadlifts to get my form right (when I have access to a barbell again). Will post vids. Are there any other lifts I can do with dumbbells to build overall power?

Go to 135. Less and you'll change the leverages caused by using smaller plates. 135 will be at the height your deadlifting "career" will be at regularly.
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options

Go to 135. Less and you'll change the leverages caused by using smaller plates. 135 will be at the height your deadlifting "career" will be at regularly.

I'm doing 135 in the video above. Was advised to go lower.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    Going to 25lb plates lowers the bar thre inches which changes how you pull. If you need that weight, put them on blocks.

https://youtu.be/oiDczs9j75E

This video may help you.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

you don't need to go lower, start at 135, that was easy weight for you in your video .
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

It was poor advice. You weren't even close to struggling with the weight in your video and proper form will actually enable you to lift more.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    Options

It was poor advice. You weren't even close to struggling with the weight in your video and proper form will actually enable you to lift more.

Personally I'd say OP was struggling with the weight because otherwise his form wouldn't have collapsed! Hence why I advised to practice form with lower weight and I did recognise that he would need to prop up on plates to get the correct height.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    Options
    OP, you can deadlift with dumbells if you like and I would also recommend the goblet squat as you'll be able to go pretty heavy with a dumbell and it'll help you get your butt down further.
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options

Personally I'd say OP was struggling with the weight because otherwise his form wouldn't have collapsed! Hence why I advised to practice form with lower weight and I did recognise that he would need to prop up on plates to get the correct height.
    OK thanks. It was a little difficult. Maybe same weight but less reps?