Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Paying the healthcare costs of obesity

Options
Packerjohn
Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
Sonce a tax on junk food isn't popular, what are suggestions how the US can pay the increased health care costs of obesity and related conditions?

For purposes of.this qiestion, raising taxes on"the rich" or corporations isn't an acceptable answer.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Whatever is being taxed now will probably get a portion cut out to pay for universal healthcare.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Why not throw in alcohol drinkers and cigarette smokers in to the mix while you are at it? Or tax seniors who manage to live well beyond their appointed age?

Something I learned in my line of business is to get to root cause. Blame chasing never solves the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjGouBmo0M

They are actually paying additional taxes for their "vices"
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Let them pay for it themselves. They did it to themselves. Allow hospitals the right to turn away people who cannot afford to pay for their services.

And this is coming from someone who refuses to have health insurance, so yeah, I'd probably get turned away too. Doesn't change the fact that I don't deserve to receive anyone else's labor value for free.

U nfortunately if you pass put on a street and someone calls 911 the hospital will still treat you and if you can't pay it.the hospital eats the cost.

This isn't the old west where you can just go.out back and die in peace. Sack up and get insurance so the rest of us aren't paying for you

You aren't paying for anything. I haven't been to a doctor or hospital (other than for my CDL physicals, which my company pays for) in more than 20 years. I'm not paying in on a "maybe". Not the gambling type. I've been injured several times in that duration, but the fact is, I utterly loathe the medical provider community, and would quite literally rather die than go to a hospital.

And the fact that you are paying for others is your own fault. The day everyone who pays says no at once, it ends.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Let them pay for it themselves. They did it to themselves. Allow hospitals the right to turn away people who cannot afford to pay for their services.

And this is coming from someone who refuses to have health insurance, so yeah, I'd probably get turned away too. Doesn't change the fact that I don't deserve to receive anyone else's labor value for free.

U nfortunately if you pass put on a street and someone calls 911 the hospital will still treat you and if you can't pay it.the hospital eats the cost.

This isn't the old west where you can just go.out back and die in peace. Sack up and get insurance so the rest of us aren't paying for you

You aren't paying for anything. I haven't been to a doctor or hospital (other than for my CDL physicals, which my company pays for) in more than 20 years. I'm not paying in on a "maybe". Not the gambling type. I've been injured several times in that duration, but the fact is, I utterly loathe the medical provider community, and would quite literally rather die than go to a hospital.

And the fact that you are paying for others is your own fault. The day everyone who pays says no at once, it ends.

So you're been fine, you drop in thr street tomorrow, who's paying a 3-400k medical bill?

They won't let you lay there and die.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

So you're been fine, you drop in thr street tomorrow, who's paying a 3-400k medical bill?

They won't let you lay there and die.

They won't have any choice. That's as far as I will expand upon the matter.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that an HSA would be the right solution for the healthcare issue (to include obesity). Individuals would be required to save a portion of their pay (before taxes) for broadly defined healthcare expenses. They could use these funds at their discretion for things like normal health costs, lasik, weight loss surgery, Insurance premiums, almost anything health related. These funds could also be willed or donated.

As people begin working while young, they will likely build up a surplus. This could be coupled high deductible insurance at affordable rates. It could also cause deflation in the lower healthcare market as people will be more judicious with their funds.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    I've always thought that an HSA would be the right solution for the healthcare issue (to include obesity). Individuals would be required to save a portion of their pay (before taxes) for broadly defined healthcare expenses. They could use these funds at their discretion for things like normal health costs, lasik, weight loss surgery, Insurance premiums, almost anything health related. These funds could also be willed or donated.

As people begin working while young, they will likely build up a surplus. This could be coupled high deductible insurance at affordable rates. It could also cause deflation in the lower healthcare market as people will be more judicious with their funds.

I would be fine with that, assuming that there is an opt-out, and that in case of such opt-outs, hospitals are allowed under Federal law to turn said opt-outs away.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

I would be fine with that, assuming that there is an opt-out, and that in case of such opt-outs, hospitals are allowed under Federal law to turn said opt-outs away.

I'd be fine with that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I'd be fine with that.

...dear god, are you a unicorn? Someone who is capable of thinking of ways to help the whole without infringing upon the individual? I almost feel like I should believe that your response was sarcastic.

If more people could grasp that people don't need saving from themselves, I'm pretty sure we could all agree on a lot more.