Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Paying the healthcare costs of obesity

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    corsayre8 wrote: »
    Are you also going to tax smokers? Alcoholics? Motorcycle riders? Race car driver? Equestrians?

People engage in all kinds of activities that increase risk of injury or illness. Choosing one group to tax is called discrimination.

Have been obese for a large portion of my adult life, and I haven't had a single illness or medical expense related to my weight. However, I have had many bills related to my physical activities (all sustained when I was not obese). Obesity is a potential indicator or contributing factor to other health issues, in very few cases does it have medical complications alone.

The people you mention generally have higher health and life insurance premiums
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    I've always thought that an HSA would be the right solution for the healthcare issue (to include obesity). Individuals would be required to save a portion of their pay (before taxes) for broadly defined healthcare expenses. They could use these funds at their discretion for things like normal health costs, lasik, weight loss surgery, Insurance premiums, almost anything health related. These funds could also be willed or donated.

As people begin working while young, they will likely build up a surplus. This could be coupled high deductible insurance at affordable rates. It could also cause deflation in the lower healthcare market as people will be more judicious with their funds.

I would be fine with that, assuming that there is an opt-out, and that in case of such opt-outs, hospitals are allowed under Federal law to turn said opt-outs away.

Unfortunately in the US opt outs won't be allowed to happen. They will get care and be a leach on society (I am not speaking about those who can't pay, rather those who could pay insurance premiums but don't)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The people you mention generally have higher health and life insurance premiums

Life premiums, yes. Health, no. At least not in the USA where only smoking status, age, and bmi can be used to change rates.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Even the most responsible, self-sufficient people don't tend to have that lying around.

Not trying to be a dick, but some do. I dropped out of highschool in the 9th grade; I've been working full time (60-70 hours per week) since I was 19. I have no kids, keep my overhead low (yeah, I live in "the hood"), and just generally don't spend money on stupid things. Even after two failed marriages, I am more financially stable than most people in their 50s.

Our spending problem in this country isn't just of a government issue.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Even the most responsible, self-sufficient people don't tend to have that lying around.

Not trying to be a dick, but some do. I dropped out of highschool in the 9th grade; I've been working full time (60-70 hours per week) since I was 19. I have no kids, keep my overhead low (yeah, I live in "the hood"), and just generally don't spend money on stupid things. Even after two failed marriages, I am more financially stable than most people in their 50s.

Our spending problem in this country isn't just of a government issue.

You're unusual. 2/3 of the US population would have issues paying an unexpected 1000 expense.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/965e48ed609245539ed315f83e01b6a2
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @Packerjohn , how long have you been on this hobby horse?
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that an HSA would be the right solution for the healthcare issue (to include obesity). Individuals would be required to save a portion of their pay (before taxes) for broadly defined healthcare expenses. They could use these funds at their discretion for things like normal health costs, lasik, weight loss surgery, Insurance premiums, almost anything health related. These funds could also be willed or donated.

As people begin working while young, they will likely build up a surplus. This could be coupled high deductible insurance at affordable rates. It could also cause deflation in the lower healthcare market as people will be more judicious with their funds.

I would be fine with that, assuming that there is an opt-out, and that in case of such opt-outs, hospitals are allowed under Federal law to turn said opt-outs away.

I'd be fine with that.

...dear god, are you a unicorn? Someone who is capable of thinking of ways to help the whole without infringing upon the individual? I almost feel like I should believe that your response was sarcastic.

If more people could grasp that people don't need saving from themselves, I'm pretty sure we could all agree on a lot more.

No sarcasm. Not a unicorn.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I was talking to a younger man at the pub who was sitting at the rail bemoaning government handouts eating into his gross pay. After listening for a bit, I joined in their conversation. I asked the young man if he and his wife had bought their first house. Yes, he replied. Did you get a SHDA-backed loan? I asked. ... Yes... he replied. Then he kinda blinked at me, realized that the SHDA loan (subsidized interest rates for first time home buyers) was a government program. And he kinda slapped his knee and said "huh, I'm gonna have to think about that."

All government programs are "handouts to the undeserving," until it's a program you're utilizing. It really seems to be human nature to feel this way about subsidies and social benefits via government spending. I think education on the issue is going to be part of the solution.

I can absolutely appreciate this point. That being said, as someone who actually goes out of his way to avoid such programs, the feds seem to be doing their damndest to make that impossible. We are creating a culture of reliance, which is fine, assuming that everyone is a willing participant. That last part is where things get sticky, force becomes needed, and we have a serious problem.