WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Pip~ Tell him you are his mate, you have squatters rights on the staring AND the ogling!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    AMAZING QUILT PICS!!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We are home! The dog was thrilled when we picked him up from the vet's this morning. We had a great trip to the DC area and a fun visit with our DS and DDIL. I am glad to be back, and may be chatting about things we did & saw for several days. Who knows? I had much less than usual control over food so I'll see what the scales say in the morning.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Charleen: Which fair? And how long will your quilt be there? I'd love to try to see it in person.

Pip: I'm so proud of you and Kirby. Together you can do anything. <3

Joyce: Hoping, wishing and praying that you and Charlie will get better and stronger everyday.

Can't believe that July is over. Didn't make my goal of being lighter. Instead I'm up .4, which doesn't concern me- I can see my body changing.

Loved the article on cellulite. I can see the dimensions of my thighs coming down, more muscle is showing, but dang the 'cottage cheese' remains the same. After spending most of my life living in warm places, I've gotten over the stigma and have worn swim suits and shorts with nary a care. B)

August will be fun. Tuesday I'm heading to NYC for two days (one will be the company picnic), then I'll be in West Texas for a week. It looks promising that I'll meet Lisa in Alpine! How cool is that? Unfortunately won't be going past that giant roadrunner. :o

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Pip- love the picture of Kirby! Very amusing ID and I agree with Annr, Becca!

Katla - welcome home!
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Kim: How about a barn cat for your garden? My boy Mars is 'hired' out by our neighbors to repel rabbits and voles. They swear it makes a difference having him walk around their flower beds. And he works cheap! A piece of turkey and he's a happy kitty.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Katanus, welcome. Glad you have started back and hope you can stick with us. This is a great place for support and information. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called.

Kim, I like the “God moving furniture” thought for thunder too. Sounds better than picturing a bowling alley. Lol Too funny about the Dublin weather.

MicheleNC, the class was basically a 6 hour session on rules and regulations. It was also a good time to socialize with some of the members. Speaking of trying new things to cook, at the Moose yesterday the lady doing the breakfast brought a dish somewhat like a bread pudding. It had cut up croissants, chocolate chips and a mixture with cream cheese, eggs and sugar poured over it before baking. That is the sort of thing that I have no will power against so I did have some and it was delicious! Gonna have to get the boot out after myself!!! Sorry to hear Jess has gained weight.

Lisa, congrats on meeting your goals this month!

Kelly, what a bummer about the ticket. I know you would have preferred to spend that $$ on something else.

Heather, how nice that your DGD “likes salt” if she’s going to be jumping in the ocean. Lol

NYKaren, glad your DH is considering a rental. When my DD went off to college I didn’t think much of it as she had always been so independent. BUT that first few weeks were so hard. I felt like I was in mourning. OMG. I did get used to it and was fine. I mean she was only 2 hours away which I’d love now, rather than her being all the way across the country in Oregon. crying.gif

KarenVA, what wonderful memories of that trip with your mom. That is priceless.

Charleen, the quilt is beautiful!!!! I can only imagine how many hours it takes.

Pip, congrats on all you did in the challenge. That is a wonderful picture of Kirby sleeping. You wore him out!!!

Katla, glad you had a wonderful trip and made it home safely. It seems no matter how much fun we have, it’s always nice to get home.

Rori, it is wayyyy cool that you get to meet so many of our group. Safe travels. You should have trained Mars not to work so cheap, but how nice that he can help out the neighbors.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

We did go to the beach and it was a great day. When we arrived it was overcast and at one point it rained a few random drops. There was a nice sea breeze as usual and just a lovely day. I don’t know how “sitting at the beach” can be so exhausting but DH and I both took a little nap after we got home. I just not finished my shower and going to go have a light dinner. See you ladies next month.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    DJ glad you enjoyed the beach.

Charleen love the quilts!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif

:) I am headed for bed so I've posted the new thread for August. Don't forget to bookmark it so you can find it again.

Here is the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10436537/women-ages-50-for-august-2016/p1?new=1
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Stronglifts Workout A
    Squat- 1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 95
    BP- 1 X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 80
    BR- 5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X 10 X 30

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    3 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Mary, we are still traveling, we'll be home tomorrow. I took my kettlebell with me. So watching in the closest mirror in the hallway of the motorhome, I tried sumo squats. I was able to get completely down and push against my thighs to open up my hips and get up. I am so thrilled and in total disbelief. This is after two knee replacements last year. Who would have thot?

My sis just older than me said yesterday, I have to do a double take every time I see you, not used to you looking like this. I said GOOD!!! Lol. Thanks for your great example and encouragement.

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options

:) I am headed for bed so I've posted the new thread for August. Don't forget to bookmark it so you can find it again.

Here is the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10436537/women-ages-50-for-august-2016/p1?new=1

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Kim, I was going to suggest cats, too. Most shelters have cats that are too feral to adopt out that they will send to farms if they are going to have food and shelter. They are neutered and have an initial rabies shot usually. My four indoor/outdoor cats, all strays who came to stay, keep the bunnies and voles under control in my yard. They even catch grasshoppers! Mine come in at night, usually, but if they have a shed or barn to sleep in that is fine too, especially in CA.
  • AAMFitPal
    AAMFitPal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim! That is amazing - small world huh?

It is looking like a beautiful evening - the weather has really cooled down :smile:

If you ever want to meet when you are in Livermore just let me know.

The quilts that you ladies make are beautiful - just incredible really.

April in Livermore
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    On vacation and definitely eating my calories back. Won’t even worry about it because I am going to be walking my @$$ off. LOL! Back in room after walking an hour on the beach; and 3 more hours at the Zoo. Damn, I’m tired! Back is killing me, up and down little ramps. Dodging strollers and people who walk all over you. Got back, took a shower; boy was I ever grimy. Saw ‘blue trees’ at the zoo; had a website you could go to; should have written it down. Bright blue bark on trees that look like ‘crepe myrtles’. Is this a hoax or what?

DJ – My ‘grands’ tell me that someone has to ‘put the pokeman’ somewhere and you have to go there to capture it. Some hot spots for Wi-Fi have them as well. DOGD ‘hates’ the game and took it off her phone because she says it is way too ‘time-consuming’ and ‘somewhat addictive’. She’s got to study. We were at Sonic and she said that she put one on Papa’s Head. Damnest thing I’ve ever heard; but, I’d be pissed if someone walked on to my property because one was ‘supposedly’ there. It’s bad enough that these generations (millenniums and their children) walk with the heads down and their fingers moving all the time. Makes me want to ‘dough pop’ them on their heads. Got to move out of the way to keep from being walked over. About the only thing I do with my smart phone is send and receive calls or texts and take pictures. Basically got it for the camera feature, so I can actually see them.

Jpsgirl96 – Thanks for the hydrangeas – beautiful! The ‘good’ thoughts are also appreciated.

Karen in Virginia – What a nice thing to do for your mom. Such a nice bucket list; I think the museums would be on my ‘bucket list’ if I ever made one. But, there is so much in the USA that I’d love to see, probably first. I know you miss her.

Charleen – BEAUTIFUL quilt. Stitching is beautiful on it. I can imagine one like this taking a lot of time, therefore worth a lot of money; but, people balk at paying some of the prices that are being asked. People have no idea the time, effort, and love that an artisan puts into their work. One reason I only do paintings and drawings on a ‘commission’ plus costs of expenses. I’d rather draw and paint at my leisure for my pleasure.
    I think it ‘great’ that you also made the ‘big sister’ a quilt of her own. So many times the older sibling feels left out when the new baby comes along. I’ve always taken an older sibling a present when I go to see the ‘new’ baby in the house.

Could the baby’s quilt look sideways because of the pattern maybe? Have you measured it? I do know that ‘triangles’ that are offset can make for a real ‘optical illusion’. Add that to the ‘circles’ of stitching … it still is a beautiful quilt; and, I doubt that anybody would notice it if you don’t say anything about it. Is the binding around the quilted portion with the triangles something you added to it? Maybe the backing turned over? I’d love any quilt. My parents had a lady “Miss Minnie” who gave each of us one and then apologized because that was all she could afford to ‘give us’. I still have mine … and about killed Louis when he grabbed it to put between some shutters he had painted. I grabbed it out before he could leave. I wanted to ‘choke’ him. Put it back ‘on’ my DYS’s bed, one way to hide it from being used for that purpose.

Lenora
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Rori Colorado Foothills - Larimer County Fair. They open August 5th through August 9th. It's held at The Ranch in Loveland next to the Embassy Suites and the Bud Center.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    see u in august peeps
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you are wondering where we went... scroll up to Barbie's link, if it doesn't work from here.
    barbiecat wrote: »

Here is the link:

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hello to all. I am hoping for support from this group as I live in the middle of no where in Mississippi and have no one to talk to about my body image issues! I am in menopause and at the same time I developed hypothyroidism. Yay. I have always been very fit and active and never had any weight issues. Boy did that change with menopause. Nothing I did helped either. Finally in the last 6 months I have lost 16 lbs. I am almost back to my pre-menopause weight and wanted to share what has helped me more than anything I have tried. Obviously I needed my thyroid under control, so I finally think that is straight. Then I realized I needed to control my appetite (calorie intake) and I did not want to take any kind of a pill for that. I guess no matter how active you are, age slows the metabolism. I am very much into a healthy, mostly organic and mostly plant based diet. So, I started reading about psyllium husks and how they did lots of positive things including helping with a feeling of satiety. I also began taking Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate (I know not plant based, but supposed to support thyroid). Both of these items really help control my appetite, and I mean a LOT! There also do not seem to be any negative side effects of either of these foods according to all I have read on this. I only have 5 more pounds to go. I hope this will work for other people here and wanted to share my story.

Welcome and thanks for the info. I have Hypothyroidism too, so I am going on read up on you suggestions

Lillian in the middle of nowhere too!! LOL in Saskatchewan Canada