WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Go, Allie!

Almost awake, had both city council and county commissioners meetings yesterday, plus got the massive story done that I've been working on--Water lines drawn in the desert, a history of water wars in Pecos County.

The hubs is doing fine at his job, and outworking everyone around him, no surprise. Kinda struggling with the getting up at 5 a.m. thing--and they are up to ten hours' work a day as of yesterday. But he's as incapable as I am of sitting on his hands, even when it's 105 outside. Which it was until the storm blew up at 7 p.m., and the temperature plummeted to 85 degrees. Plus hail, of course, which makes two hailstorms the trailer's survived now in its first week with us. Trial by fire. And really glad it's up high on tires, because it looked once again like we had beachfront property!

Got to see if I can find a graphic of a stream with tributaries to make my timeline work for the story... it will go out in four installments, 'cause it's over 5,000 words. Been working on it for a month, will be glad for it to see the light of day!

Love y'all...
    Lisa in West Texas
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa Probably not what you want: 1pq3jotz0xzt.png
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Morning all!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    lisa hail while in an RV must sound INCREDIBLY LOUD :#

Keep it up Allie this is toms father!

Anybody out there reading Elizabeth Gilbert "big magic". may find it in library this weekend. I heard an interview with her promoting the book about following your curiosity rather than "finding your passion". I thought it was intriguing.
    Have a great day everyone.
    NYKAREN
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Tuesday!
    Re- I like your idea of a 24 week Challenge. I think I will do it with you! I have 80 pounds to lose to get down to my wedding weight, which is, realistically for me, too much to lose in 24 weeks. I will go for 25 pounds though. There is no reason I can't lose that by Christmas.
    CJ- Wowsa! Glad to hear that you and your friends are safe. What a busy time you have had, good to see you back!
    Allie- Good girl! You have to do what you have to do. Tom might piss and moan about it, but it is his father. Deep down. he knows, that this is something that should be "his" job. I am in the same situation with my dh and his mom, who needs almost constant care. It is exhausting!
    Karen NY- Annibirthiversary...does this mean that you both share the same birthdays and then got married on that day?! I have a daycare family (parents) who did this and then ended up with their oldest child being born on that day also. Four family celebrations on one day! I like your name for it!
    Laoighse- Good to see you! I hear you on the "up and down" the ladders! I am always amazed at how my legs/backside feel the day after painting or any "ladder" work! You spend your holidays the same way I do. I enjoy the extra time to myself, but have a "to-do" list that I try to cross one thing off a day. Enjoy your time!

Has anyone heard from Penny, Sylvia? I know everyone gets so busy with life...just don't want to lose track of our friends. Anne, Beth, and Cheri, I know you ladies are checking in when you can; how are you doing? Love and hugs to you all! <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Allison, practice this: "I am so sorry. I'm sure you will figure something out. I have to work. Taking off is not an option right now."

They'll work it out. I know you love these people, but their problems don't have to be your problems. Even DFIL. He is Tom's dad. Let him do it.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. Allie, you have to let others help. Or make them. It's hard to delegate sometimes, but for your sanity, you must!

Rita from CT
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Re & KJ I will join you in the 24 week challenge. I still have 80 lbs to go, as well; my goal will be 24 lbs in 24 weeks, so GW by Christmas is 180.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Michelle, when we work on abs in our class, we mix it up. A plank is often a part of the routine, but we do bicycles, scissors, crunches, ankle touches, reverse crunches, side planks, among other things. I am in awe of how long you can hold a plank. I can sometimes last a minute, but not always. I must have missed your question about your DVDs. I am always interested to hear which one you are doing today. You should repost the picture of your collection for the newbs. It is quite amazing.

Joyce, good luck with all your medical appointments. I hope Charlie realizes how lucky he is to have you.

I was so bored last night from trying to "take it easy" that I decided to go for a walk. There were three young people on bicycles playing Pokemon go, barely able to watch where they were going for looking at their phones. I confess I don't understand the craze, but what do I know? I used to be addicted to Farm Town, clicking to harvest vegetables. That seems so silly looking back, but I adored it at the time.

I've walked this morning, had breakfast, and am getting ready to go to my exercise class.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »

Anybody out there reading Elizabeth Gilbert "big magic". may find it in library this weekend. I heard an interview with her promoting the book about following your curiosity rather than "finding your passion". I thought it was intriguing.
    Have a great day everyone.
    NYKAREN

:) Thanks for your recommendation.....I put the book on hold as an audiobook and will get to listen to it while walking my dogs.1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,125 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies! I am going to be unable to post for the next couple of days as regularly as I have been. My DSIL is coming for a few days. We have a lot of plans and you will be very busy. Today we will be watching the dachshund races, going to the sidewalk sales, and either watching a parade or playing bingo. It is sweetheart days in Hackensack. Tomorrow is the large fleamarket in Hackensack as well.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @drkatiebug I can hold a plank for just one minute, as well...I guess I just have to do it every day to improve - *sigh*

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,720 Member
    Options
    Well off to work..stopped and picked up DFIL stuff.transport will be a problem .have them working on it at Cobalt...told Tom.that he might get a call or 2 he will have to deal.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    I was born in 1959, the fourth and youngest child of a cattle rancher and his wife who lived in the Colorado mountains. I had an idyllic childhood and spent the first 18 years of my life on the ranch outside a town of about 1200 people. Everyone knew everybody.
    Marcelyn
    country girl in Houston

1959 was a good year!!!

Lillian from West Central Saskatchewan.....small town kid :)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Rororosie wrote: »
    and thanks to Lacy May (my hand writing is bad I hope i got that right - for the beautiful picture of you holding Jax <3

You are welcome ... I have more pics :)...

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You go, Allie!
    Michele, I was 13--but losing your mom at 9 was a tough break too--I hope you have some happy memories of her because as the years fly by memories can get pretty hazy, can't they? Hugs!!!
    Betty
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    KJ yes our Annibirthiversary is both DH and my birthday and we got married on that day. DD missed it by 7 months, wouldn't that have been fun.

For some crazy reason I did a plank this morning and held it for 10 seconds! (Insert strong female emoji here). Never attempted one before 'cause of my wrist pain but it worked, can't imagine a full minute, that is a lot of core strength.
    NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    edited July 2016
    Options
    NYKAREN You can do planks on your forearms:esvm8pzyp0uh.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    well I am awake kinda~
    got maybe 4 hrs sleep on and off last night..
    I hate nights like that.. all over something that I do have control over...but told Tom that he will be fielding a few phone calls today, and he was aghast. really this is your father, I barely have a pee break when I work, and cant get to my phone, where he can anytime ..so will put him on it today.. and if he doesn't like it to darn bad..

Good for you, Alison! It sounds like you're standing up for yourself and developing some healthy boundaries. WTG!!!!! :star::flowerforyou: :star:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lisa: A friend of ours moved to an RV in SW Alaska. They have it parked under a shelter. The roof protects the RV from the frequent rain in their area. It seems like something for you and your husband to consider as protection from the heat and sun. I tried to link to a photo of an example, but haven't been able to get it into my post for now. You can easily Google it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Go Alison!!

I always do planks on my forearms because my wrists can't tolerate it. However, if you are insistent on doing planks, push-ups, etc. with your arms straight, try gripping a small hand weight. That keeps your wrist straight instead of in the bent position. (I learned this in PT.) I think they make things just for this purpose, but a hand weight that has enough room for your fingers works, too.

Lisa - I missed what kind of job your husband took to get off the ranch. Would you mind repeating it so I won't remain in my slough of ignorance, please?

Michele - Where I am, the storms seem to follow the interstate. And, many times, the storms will track only to one side or the other. I used to live on the south side of the highway and would be missed by many storms. Now I live on the north side and get them all! And, I'm talking being able to SEE the interstate from my house.

I am really disliking the heat. I don't tolerate heat well so it keeps me cooped up inside. I keep reminding myself that in six weeks it will begin to get cooler.

Off I go to get more work done. Take care!

Carol in NC