WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Rini_s wrote: »
    I sit at a desk all day so I'm trying to get up and walk and hit 10,000 steps daily. I'm going to try to get some weight training going - the kettle bell swing thingy sounds interesting. Of course, I don't have a kettle bell. Maybe something to acquire? I have a variety of hand weights, but those seem dangerous to be swinging around, lol.
    Welcome to our group!
    I started with a weight plate. Others start with a dumbbell. Only light to see if you like it. Kettlebell is about $1 a pound. Lots of information posted if you need more let me know.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Heather - I am not sure who as the bigger smile in that picture of you and Bea... Adorable!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good eve. Tried to skim thru,but DD & SIL are visiting this wk,plus other DD &SIL are here often. Eating out every day except today. They all spent all day in Amish area. Aaaaa....the peace & quiet.
    MEG,the heat has slid over to OHIO & expected to last thru Monday.
    ALLIE,Your Granddaughter is lovely. We loved the pic of the little boy with front teeth missing,so cute.

Ok,have a house full right now,all talking at once about their day & Amish dinner. Pat in hot humid Ohio
    Saying prayers that freezer beats the heat in our garage ;)

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Well I will be out of town for a bit so wont be cycling or reading posts, just logging and trying not to overdo on the food. Hope everybody has a wonderful weekend!
    Betty
    I like the hammer idea!
  • trulydivyn
    trulydivyn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have a great evening ladies!! I'm on my way to pick up my birthday present from the airport - ** wink ** - not sure when I'll be back online, as I'll be "occupied" for a day or two...***grinz***
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: 1001.8 miles is awe-inspiring. Wow! :flowerforyou:

DJ: I hope the heat doesn't do us in. We're both "shade flowers." If it bothers us we'll look for ways to stay cool. :smiley:

Miriam: (((HUGS)))

Heather: Love the photos and the beach. What a lovely place to live. :bigsmile:

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. I had a great day. DH took me out to breakfast, I got to go to yoga, & we took a fun ride in the fishing boat before we pulled it out of the river and parked it in the storage unit. After all of that, he took me out to dinner. Both of my kids called to talk. It was a glorious day!

We are at the Raddison in Portland for "the night." We have to get up very early in the morning for our ride to PDX. Our flight boards at 5:20 AM and leaves at 6. Yikes! The hotel will take us to the airport, pick us up when we get back and mind our car in between. There is a fee for this, but it is worth it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.36min, 14.5amph, 134mhr, 2.5mi = 71c
    OTHER- PHYSICAL THERAPY @ gym- 50min, 8 stretches, 1-2sets of 15 some w/5lb weights, 119mhr = 136c
    ride gym 2 wk- 54.34min, 12.3amph, 142mhr, 11.1mi = 422c
    ride round parking lot- 20.06min, 8.4amph, 108mhr 2.8mi = 90c
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.53min, 8.6amph, 155mhr, 2.5mi = 197c
    total cal 916
  • pipcd34
    Options
    thanks katla. i was 1/2 mile down the road and i had every intention to ride home but my knee was talking to me. the ride home is the hardest (has the big uphill climbs) so i made a u-turn and waited for the train and weenie'd out.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did Kathy Smith Total Body Lift DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a CIA-2004 All Body Cardio DVD.

Mary in MN - I only have 3, 5 , 8, and 10# dumbbells. I also have 1# wrist weights. Is that sufficient to start. I would really prefer not to have to buy any more equipment if possible.

janetr - you go girl!!! Up and down...that's fantastic! I see you have wildflowers growing under a tree. Do you or anyone else for that matter know of any bush-type flowers that don't grow real tall that I can plant under a tree, mainly so that I won't have to mow under the tree...lol

KJ - my grandmother cooked lots in bacon grease. Only difference between your grandmother and mine is that her stove was oil fired, not wood. But otherwise.....and she cooked some of the absolute best food. I'm just not a big sweater. I'm certainly hydrated enough and I believe I work out hard enough.

Mary - I know you posted them before, but could you post the videos of the proper form when using the kettlebells and the ones showing the different types of swings? There are just so many on utube that I'm not sure I'd get the right one. The place where I take the extremepump has kettlebells, so before class I can probably do some swings. Would that be enough...once a week?

NYKaren - to me, that armband is just another thing that I need to keep in my gym bag. Pus, I find that putting my iPod on my hip is just as effective. Once or twice my legs would stop it, but that doesn't happen very often. Right now in my gym bag I keep my iPod and my heartrate monitor (2 pieces) plus my gym membership card and earplugs (in case an instructor is especially loud or her music, but now with my hearing loss I can probably take them out). I just prefer not to have another thing in there, that's all.

MamaSooz - welcome to the world of plateaus. I think I've been on one for a long, long time. You'll get lots of support and good ideas here. One thing I've found that sort-of helps the scale go down is if I have some applesauce in the evening. Now FOR ME if I snack in the evening, I can be guaranteed of a gain the next day. Never fails

Dorrie - happy birthday. Do you have an "incredible Edible" near you? Yes, they are on the pricey side. But what it is is fruit cut in the shape of things, like my daughter just sent me one. There was pineapple in the shape of a flower with a piece of cantaloupe for the center. That's what I always ask for instead of candy, etc.

exercised, then skyped with Bryan but only for 1/2 hr, he was "tired" (it's 7:00 his time, he's 30) but at least it's something. We're supposed to skype with him next Thursday. Then went and did the weeds (have I mentioned how much I hate sticker bushes?) for about 4 hours. Didn't drink as much today, only about 40oz. Part of that might have been that it wasn't that humid today and the fact that I was working in the back in the shade. I did find a turtle in the weeds, but I think it was dead. I did also find some trees that were so small that I just cut them down. In to have dinner, now on here

Becca - I was reading your post and at first I thought you wrote "I was making oat farts"....then I looked twice :)

trulydivyn - what a great coworker you have there!

Joyce - so sorry that Charlie is in such a grouchy mood

While waiting for Bryan got dinner ready so all I had to do was pop it in the microwave, started to get breakfast for tomorrow ready, made some more of the purple potatoes

Re - I just told Vince that when we get all the weeds cut down, I realize that's a big area that he'll have to mow and with one of his medications, he gets lightheaded quickly and dehydrated. He does drink a lot. anyway, I told him that when we get it all cut down, I was willing to cut the weeds under the power lines but I won't do it as long as there is such a steep slope. So hopefully that'll be incentive for him to get it done.

Rini - welcome! I'm only 5'1" myself. As a friend of mine told me "short people are the last to feel the rindrops fall and the first to see the flowers bloom".

miriam - so sorry about the kitty and all that you're going thru

tracie in Green Bay - congrats on the car. So many times during the day I think about this group "so-and-so would like this, so-and-so likes this".

Michele in NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies: Working at getting my house clean. I have company coming from CA. Two of my cousins that we were really close to when we were kids. They will be here Saturday and leave on Thursday so it will be a fun few days. I am really looking forward to having them here. Getting the gazebo cleaned off because it is such a beautiful place to just sit and talk.

Went to dentist today. Had to have an old filling removed and new one put in because there was a cavity under the filling. Not sure how that got there. Novocaine makes me sleepy so came home and had a short nap.

Pip - I thought you were going to slow down on the cycling. Way to go!!

Mary - You are going to have everyone swinging kettlebells soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    You ladies are so sweet to me and.....adoption papers will be coming in the mail to all of you via my heart. You have no idea how happy it makes me feel to be "a part" of a group of fine ladies with strength of character and are honest...

Being a Navy wife, I had to take many wives "under my wing" to get them to sure footing. I was an ombudsman for two of my husbands' ships, but being a Chiefs' wife had its drawbacks. Many enlisted wives didn't speak to me because of my status, like when they would finally meet me they would say, "I had no idea you were nice and all". My response was, "Well I put on pants one leg at a time like you do, but I don't mentally wear my husband's uniform." So being accepted has always been one of my issues.

Living in California, I came across many really nice ladies. Two ladies I still communicate with, but mostly I was distant. There is a fine line between coming across as too forward, and letting civilians set the pace for a friendship is downright frustrating.

My one best friend that I met at the laundromat in Yokosuka in the late 1980's is still my friend. The fact that we were onbase friends for only 4 yrs but have remained close via telephone tells you just how much I will hold on to a friendship, even when the face to face thing can't happen. We have had kids, gone thru our parents passing, her divorce, and other life issues touching base and bouncing off each other.

One thing I have applied from my time as a Navy wife to civilian, is that I never say good-bye to anyone. I mean the true goodbyes I will never see you again because you are moving goodbyes. Karma has put me in touch with people that I met in Yokosuka, then saw them at a commissary in California. I have met a sailor when I worked at an onbase gym that babysat my cousin on my fathers side. This was a gym in Yokosuka now. How crazy is that? So you just never know when you will meet up with a friend. I just say "see you later". The world is much smaller than we realize. It's the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing, you know you can trace every actor to Kevin Bacon.

well enough rambling...
    Becca
    Oregon

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Janetr7476 – Yes!!!!! Those are exactly the ones! When they came up in the Spring at my childhood home; I’d pick every last one of them. The first day we lived in what we called “The Big House” … the lady next door had all kinds of daffodils in her back and side yard. As far as you could see … DAFFODILS! There was a 2’ high wall between her yard and our side yard; so I figured, ‘she’ll never miss any’ … so I picked a huge clump of them (as many as a 4-year-old could hold). Took them in to my Mother and got a whipping; then I had to go over and apologize to Mrs. Goolsby. I had talked about the ‘girl next door’. We had already met; and, she had walked me through the stepping stone lanes; and told me which ones I could pick and the ones she did not want me to pick and why. I was so embarrassed I nearly wet my pants. Mother told her that she had told me not to touch the flowers in her yard. Well, that night she came over with some ‘hot yeast rolls’ for us. Told Mother that I could come over any time. I bet she had 10,000 clumps of flowers in her year. I’ve never seen that many in my life since. Loved my “Mrs. Goolsby”. She let me spend the night with her and answered all my questions about all the people in the framed pictures on her bedroom wall. Many of them showing the building of San Francisco. Her only child, a son, was in San Francisco when the “Big Earthquake” hit. They never heard from him again after that. They had to assume that he had been killed (months later).

Michele in NC – Depending on your growing zone … Azaleas do great under trees; especially pine trees or oak trees. They can be miniatures or they can grow as large as you want them to. I bet they’d probably grow there. You cut them back after they bloom in the Spring. Some keep their leaves; some lose them; but, not totally; they just look a little ragged for a while. A lot of people cut them back severely so they’ll bush out. We’ve had them at every house we’ve lived in from Jacksonville, FL to Macon, GA. They even do well when they are ignored.

I went to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned today, too; asked if they had filed a claim for my 'night guard'; I had not gotten an EOB on it and neither had they. So I called my insurance company and was told 'they don't cover them'. They paid for the last one I had to have made. On a 3-way call to dentist office and was told they denied it because they did not put a 'diagnosis' code on it. Then when the dentist office told them, they never had put a 'diagnoses' code; they only put a code for the appliance. She (insurance clerk) said she could not give her the codes to use. After she hung up and said that she'd do more research (meaning she'd ask the dentist); I asked to speak to the insurance companies supervisor. I have never felt so 'put out' before; she put me 'on hold' for 5 minutes and then came back and asked 'specifically' why I wanted to talk to a 'supervisor' ...'because I want to know what code my dentist needs to put on their claim to refile it'. She then said, 'she can't tell you anymore than I did'. I just hung up. Damn "Affordable Care Act". They paid for it 5 years ago. "Things change". Well, it would have certainly been nice to get a booklet about it. I don't think I should have to pull up their website to see what is or is not covered. She said I'd have to have had 'cancer'. OK, either pay for the 'night guard' for TMJ or pay to have major jaw surgery done ... seems like a 'no-brainer'. GGGrrrrrr!!!!!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »

Pip - I thought you were going to slow down on the cycling. Way to go!!

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

believe it or not, i am...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    m1235.gifJake's daughter and her family arrived at our house at 1:20 and I had to leave at 1:25 to go to my line dance practice. I left Jake with barking dogs and kids hiding behind their mother. Dancing was great. When I got home about 4:15 only Jake and his daughter were here--husband and sons had gone off to check into the motel and then go to the beach. She got to cut all the lavender she wanted from our plants. We all gathered again at our favorite Mexican restaurant where I had mahi mahi tacos with extra pico de gallo. It was a pleasant evening. Tomorrow they'll pick Jake up in the morning to go out to breakfast. I'll be teaching my line dance class. After breakfast they'll start their drive back to California.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    18,000 steps
    176 minutes of dog walking
    two line dance classes
    more laundry

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think it was Tracie that got a Chrysler 300! Oh, I love that car, ultimate in luxury. Or at least it looks like it is. I am so jealous. I will go to bed dreaming of that car. Glad your son will get the old one. We did that with our oldest daughter only she knows and we know she won't make the payments. That child is so sweet, and the best daughter in so many ways but we know she will not make payments to us because she knows her Dad won't insist on it. And at the end of the year he will just cancel it. We even made the payments $50/month thinking she could handle that. Nope.

Lenora, coffee in gravy? Oh my, you just ruined a good gravy. I hate the taste of coffee. I love the smell of it, reminds me of mornings when I was growing up because I knew Mom and dad would be in the kitchen fixing breakfast. But the taste is awful. When we were in our psychiatric training we were forced to drink coffee since all the patients were drinking it. I offered to drink hot tea but my instructor wouldn't allow it, had to be coffee. I didn't like coffee before nursing school and liked it even less after.

Our poor cat. She is a tortie and they have a unique language. She has come up with the most pitiful meows this week when I come home. She sounds so desperate like I had been gone for 20 years and finally came home.

I bought some simple, bland yet I know Charlie will eat them, things at the grocery store this afternoon. Wanted to get in and out quick, was tired enough I used Walmarts scooter. I just want the next 10 years to be quiet, no illnesses, no in the middle of the night ER visits, but I don't think i am going to get them. I come here for my sanity.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Michele- I sent you a message with the videos. Let me know if they work for you or I will repost them here.

SueWA - I t is an awesome way to tone your body and burn a lot of calories in a short time. Plus a 20 minute workout is really only swinging about 20 seconds per minute and resting 40 seconds per minute. So you are really working only about 7 minutes and burning 400 calories and you get an after burn as well because of the strength training.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Great job there Lisa!!!
    I am home and having a cup of tea.. Will get dressed and then take the dogs for a walk and go feed DFIL
    Then off to work.. Working 9-5 then working 7:30-noon tomorrow
    In between that I will be up with Faith.. Well Sean and Jean have been gone since Tuesday night and will be home sometime Sunday..sure wish they could stay longer but Faith has to go to court monday..and Tom leaves Thursday for Florida.
    Told them maybe this winter they can get away somewhere warm and I will stay with Faith and the dog..
    Trying to figure out what to do next weekend, it will be me and the boys ..
    I am cleaning the basement at work today, all sorts of junk I have to straighten up down there...
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    joyce I hear your frustration, hoping that you both get a break soon and health issues settle down. You both deserve some peace.
    Lisa what an accomplishment, I am in awe!

Contemplating a visit to phila to paint and go through some shower safety with OS. turns out the very last little piece of the remodeling job is going to be delayed because the democratic convention is coming to town and that means my OS's street is going to be off limits to traffic! So the sliding barn door can't be delivered until afterwards! Ahhhhhggh. At least she can have full use of the shower by this Sunday. I promise to send pretty pics when I have it painted.

I love painting a room, it makes everything so much fresher and cleaner. I think after this I might just paint my own bedroom. DH doesn't love the blue tone I picked out 3 years ago and I am ready for green. Peaceful sleepy green for a change.
    Gonna be a hot one today, eating light when it gets this miserable. NYKAREN
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Holy Hotness, Batman! Good morning all and happy Friday! I don't mind the heat; most likely because I can sit around and play in water with the kiddos all day. But it drives me crazy when I wake up in the morning and the temps are still above 80 and it's still humid! So hard to push myself to get out there and walk! I did it yesterday and took a morning swim before heading home. I just couldn't push myself out the door this morning. Oh well, the pool is open tonight, so I guess that is when I will have to make it happen. If it stays nice and sunny today, the plan is to take the kids across the street to the beach and play all morning! Fingers crossed. Digging in the sand and chasing after kids should burn a few calories!
    Janet-Spider lillies! How pretty!
    Heather- Omigoodness! Could Miss Bea get any cuter?! I also enjoyed the pic of the family at the beach. So interesting to see a rock beach instead of sand. We have a few of those upstate, but they are all sand down here on the west coast of Lower Michigan. I am pretty sure I would need water shoes to walk on your beach. My feet are wimps!
    Re- Isn't that just insane, the weight fluctuation?! I wonder if the heat and humidity play into it at all...Anywho...doesn't matter. We got this! Next week is our week!
    Welcome newbies! Love new voices and you have found a great group of ladies!