WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been reading nursing history papers all morning and my eyes are crossed. I may have to go home early today! I did manage to finish my food diary and got 75 minutes of exercise in yesterday, so I guess that’s a start!

Mary: yes that dog is turning out to have a whole bag of tricks we didn’t know about. Now he is up to 185 pills a week, so we need to get this figured out and fast! It took DH 50 minutes this morning!

Miriam; great NSV!

Lenora: thanks for the tips! Today Benny wouldn’t swallow at all; he was actually drooling out the sides of his mouth! He won’t eat cheese at all anymore. No deli meat either, and now not taking peanut butter. He used to eat cat food all the time but now doesn’t want it. It’s a daily chore to see what he will eat. Yesterday dinner took chicken gravy. We will have to try blowing in his nose!

Barbie: I will keep my fingers crossed for that mri! We don’t usually feel the seasons change until late August or early September; last week the heat index was around 113 for 4 days in a row.

Joyce: sending Charlie get well wishes!

Michele: OH YES! The pill shooter. You told me about that once before and I totally forgot! I will look tonight. He has been swallowing them only to actually throw them up (along with some food, so we know it’s gotten down at least.) thanks!!!

Karen: I missed the issue but I see you need hugs and support so I’m sending both your way!

Lisa: I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Chris: I hope you enjoy your water aerobics class! I love them!

NYKaren: love the bathrrom! I hope OS gets lots of use from it

Heather: how lovely you are!

Cheri: you too! Great pic!

Rini: are you a Royals fan? Their AAA team is here and we enjoy going to their games

Well I know I have missed some but I am writing this at lunch and now it’s time to get back to work! Take care everyone! Meg from Omaha
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :):) Jake keeps getting better and better. He can put some dishes in the dishwasher and today we returned the borrowed walker because he feels very secure walking without it. He takes a cane for safety but doesn't need to use it unless he bumps into something or has to change directions suddenly. We are both grateful for the recovery he's made so far.

<3 Barbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Charleen: Beautiful lake photo! Where in Colorado is this? DD used to live in Boulder County & DS was stationed in Colorado Springs for a few years so we've visited there many times. :flowerforyou:

Meg: Thanks for the birthday wishes. I had a good day. I hope that your access to the site improves soon. I'm sending good thoughts for Benny. :flowerforyou:

Miriam: Congratulations on fitting into your swim cover up! Proof like this that you are making progress is gratifying. :smiley:

Barbie: I hope you will be able to get a clearer understanding of your leg pain and an effective treatment that takes the pain away. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I'm so sorry that Charlie is not feeling well. I hope the situation is temporary & he feels better soon. (((HUGS)))

Michelle: You're right that Sue in WA and Cheryl are horse lovers. I haven't seen a post from Cheryl in ages. I hope all is well. Sue is also a swimmer & I've noticed that she is getting to swim again. :flowerforyou:

Heather: The photo of you and the birthday girl is wonderful. You both look lovely. :smiley:

Pip: You're number 1 in my book. Take care of yourself. :wink:

We are currently in Virginia, staying with DS & DDIL. We've been out and active every day. Right now DH is napping, & I suspect DDIL is, too. I am enjoying the visit but we are eating out too much to suit me. I feel bloated & I think the scale wil give me a lecture when I climb onto it. We have about 6 more days here, & have talked about visiting Monticello before our flight home. Our son can only go on a weekend so it will likely be crowded, but I'd love for DH to get a chance to see it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies.
    I started making a new flowerbed today.
    Dug up grass and and began sifting out roots.
    It started to rain.
    I got to play in mud today.

Marcelyn in Houston
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Karen sending good thoughts!
    Margaret – great pics!!!
    Allie – great job, Faith!!!

Miriam – congrats!
    Barbie -Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lisa – hope you feel better fast
    Joyce – well I’m a day behind so sure you have had your doctor’s visit… hope Charlie can reach a healthy point…

Mary – I am not doing any of those squats… knees a few inches apart arms out straight in front of me back as straight as I can, knees never going in front of toes, butt headed to the ground…

Kettle/dumb bell swing:
    3x10x1

July Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with Ben, visiting with mom, Cajun food with a friend, got the job!, watched the sunrise every morning, planning a camping trip with a friend.
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday – like to hit 160 miles for the month.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday. I am working the long shift today. Weigh in this morning was not good. I have to get back on track. But I am not giving up. I got my blood drawn this morning for my 6 month check up coming up this next month. I will get copies later today, but expecting it not to be as good as last time.
    My mom is home from the hospital and says since they changed her meds from COPD to CHF she feels a lot better and breathing is easier. I sure hope that she keeps getting better and able to get out and do things. Her house still has not sold and concerned about that.
    Allison--Sending hugs. Sometimes we just feel the way we feel. I pray life gets better for you soon and that you find some fun activities.
    Kim--I have this vision of you climbing over the fence twice. Please be careful.
    Just picked up a copy of my labs and I am surprised. My AC1 is 5.4 and my total cholesterol is 151. Must be doing something right.
    Katla--Sounds like you are having a great time with DS & DDIL, making memories.
    Karene--I do wish you lived closer as we could be walking buddies or just friends.
    Another crazy day, working on getting information updated for our answering service and emergency numbers, but I am getting it done. So time to sign off and will type at you tomorrow.
    Blessing, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • pipcd34
    Options
    j
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Mary – I am not doing any of those squats… knees a few inches apart arms out straight in front of me back as straight as I can, knees never going in front of toes, butt headed to the ground…

Kettle/dumb bell swing:
    3x10x1.

Kim from N. California

Try to have legs at least shoulder width apart toes pointed outward. Maybe just try to see what doesn't cause you pain. Your kind would hurt my knees.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

@mousemom18 I'm sorry, I forgot what you want us to call you. I noticed you have only one daughter and she is leaving home to attend college, and has had a partial colectomy (right?) Was wondering if she has UC, and thinking how hard it's going to be for her to go away to school this fall. Is she going to be nearby? Welcome, by the way!

Karen in Virginia

Hi, Karen and thanks! I kind of LIKE being called Mousemom. Mouse is the nickname for my DD. I also have a DSD age 23 who lives about 2 hours away and a DS who has two more years of high school. If it's considered rude not to use your real name, mine is Jill and I live in Toronto.

My DD graduated university (college) this summer so she is home and working and looking for a real job. She had UC until they removed her colon. Almost all of it. And then did the reattachment surgery 6 or 7 weeks later. She is fine. Great in fact. She did a school exchange in Australia for six months and managed to travel to Fiji, Bali, the Great Barrier Reef and more. She has to watch what she eats more than most people but she is doing really well. Surgery was the best thing for her (about 6 years ago now).

• mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Try to have legs at least shoulder width apart toes pointed outward. Maybe just try to see what doesn't cause you pain. Your kind would hurt my knees.

My trainer has me doing goblet squats with25lb to build lower body strength for a Tough Mudder coming up in September. When that is over I may try a kettlebell routine. I'll be sure to check your link for ideas and technique.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    mousemom18 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

My trainer has me doing goblet squats with25lb to build lower body strength for a Tough Mudder coming up in September. When that is over I may try a kettlebell routine. I'll be sure to check your link for ideas and technique.

Awesome!
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,

DJ: So sorry about the loss of your friend. :(

NYKaren: Thinking of you

Lisa: Hope you feel better real quick!

Meg: 75 minutes of exercise - that's a fabulous start!

Barbie: So glad that Jake is on the mend

Kim: I'm enjoying those fun things you are doing!

Vicki: Congrats on that NSV!

I was walking up the sidewalk as I got home from work and smelled something that I thought was a bbq. Opened the door to this really strong burned odour. Sheesh, my attempt at slow cooking a pork roast up in smoke literally. Not sure why it burned, I added some water and had it on low for about 8 hours. There was no water left in the slow cooker and the bottom is burned black. What a waste and so much for having supper mostly cooked when I got home! Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Carey - pouting in Northern Alberta
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip – I don’t think I could wear the ‘monkey feet’ shoes because both of my little toes curl under so much; and my 2nd and 3rd toe are webbed. I have a pair of toe socks; and it takes a lot to get them on; but, boy they sure do keep my feet warm. I need to get another pair before it gets cold.

Heather – She’s 80? WOW! And her mother is still alive @ 103? Fantastic! Must have a great plan or good genes.

Lost 1lb. Slowly reaching my goal. Going to try to ‘stay on plan’ this next time; and, exercise daily in the pool; vacation with the DGDs starting Saturday; so that will be something I will have to watch my eating during. But, we do spend hours walking on the beach and in the pool, and walking Old Town in St. Augustine, FL, so getting enough exercise will not be a problem. It’s the ‘eating’ that will be an issue. We always go to a little hole-in-the-wall pizza joint when we gt there and settled in. Continental breakfast each AM. Go to seafood restaurant (when we live in Jacksonville, it was out in the boonies); 40 years later … all grown up around it.

Lenora
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Miriam congrats on cover-up.
    Heather love picture with friend.

Had lunch with friend in garden with friend. We got a Leeannchin's Kids Meal. Just the right amount of food. I like kid's meals if they let you order them. Not so much food and cheaper. Double victory!

:heart: Margaret
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Barbie so glad that Jake is continuing to improve!

Started the day with exercise and that felt great. Today I totally turned to food, overate the whole day! I ran lots of errands and now plan on reading myself to sleep. Tired, tired, tired. Thanks everyone for sending strength, it has made a difference.

NYKAREN
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    B) Feeling so much better after a chiropractic adjustment and total body therapeutic massage. Unfortunately, my elbow is still not 100%. Will continue to take it easy and allow it to heal.

Tonight I made cauliflower rice with curry and crab cakes. I'm back into full tilt cooking mode, at least until I leave town again on Tuesday. The book "The Calorie Myth" puts out the recommendation of eating 10 servings of vegetables per day. That's not easy, but I'm having fun trying.

I'm sending energy and love to Barbie, Karen, Lisa, Joyce and Charlie and any of you who are feeling a little down, a little challenged, a little below par healthwise. <3<3<3

Heather: Your yoga friend is a true inspiration.

Michele: Your weed project sounds exhausting, take care!

Lenora: I love St. Augustine. Have a great trip.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.30in, 14.4amph, 134mhr, 2.5mi = 78c
    SPIN- 41min, 97r, 37w, 4-6g, 103mhr, 7.7mi = 182c
    ride gym 2 wk- 52.50min, 12.5amph, 144mhr, 11mi = 414c
    ride wk 2 hm- 53.27min, 11.4amph, 153mhr, 10.1mi = 454c
    total cal 1128
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Have been having a busy week--cannot read the 350 plus posts yet...just letting you know I am still alive...
    Betty
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies.

Hugs to all of you who don't feel well or loved ones who don't feel well.

So hot here but I had to do yard work and we all know how much I love it. Lol. Have to admit it looked nice when I got done but I have a killer headache now. Had two big glasses of sweet tea when I was done and a light dinner. Ready for bed but know if I go to sleep now I will be up at two and not be able to go back to sleep.

Have a great night.

Anne from Wisconsin